Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@BethanyGilbert
I just read the story. I wish I hadn’t. My sister had warned me not to and I avoided it for years. That poor, poor child. I can’t imagine the fear she must’ve felt. There’s something about people visiting her and leaving yet her remaining that has really effected me. I can’t put into words the horror I am currently feeling.
That picture picture is truly haunting: her dark eyes, her hand, the tire put there to keep her afloat. This has disturbed me on such a deep level.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Bit different to most on here but John Jones who went into the nutty putty cave in America. It happened in 2009 but I only discovered the story this year and I couldn't get it out of my head. I struggled to breath just reading the series of unfortunate events that lead to his tragic death. His poor wife and their children. she was pregnant at the time too.
Oh my goodness I just read this, how truly awful. I’ve always said I’d never go caving, seen it on films etc and I think I’d feel very claustrophobic so to read this story had really got me. Why would anybody want to squeeze themselves through something nicknamed the birth canal?!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The sandy hook shooting in america because the children were the same age as my daughter. So many little 5/6 year olds and their teachers just gunned down and killed. It haunted me for weeks and I was so scared taking my daughter to school even though it happened in america.

Reactions: 4
Katie rough in york
her stepsister walked her about half a mile down the road,and slit her throat-I’m from the area and she would have passed my old house
it made the news-then nothing

a house fire which happened about a two minute walk from my house where four out of five children died (I moved the week Katie died)
natalie unitt and Christopher Moulton had been warned by social services not to smoke in the house
they carried on-well over 100 fag butts where found outside their house
the kids where so neglected they could only point and grunt at stuff
the house was silent even though it had 5 kids living in it-the smallest child was just shoved in a buggy in front of the tv all the time
i used to see them coming into work and it’s true-they where dirty,sticky looking almost with no socks or coats on and just didn’t speak-the parents where polite enough-not demanding like some are-I remember the little one in his buggy-he just looked ‘blank’
i remember saying to my mate that I hoped ss where involved as they just seemed very quiet and something was off-but there’s a few families like this that come in-we just serve food-nothing else,but it’s hard not to judge privately as you would if you where in the street
it looks like ss where more bothered about the mother,not the kids-I hope someone is held responsible but I don’t think they will
it looks like they where smoking in bed-the bedcovers set alight from a stray fag spark and the house just went up in flames
mum and dad got the smallest child out-and the other 4 died
the parents tried to blame it on a faulty boiler (which was what was being said in the area at the time) but seems that in inquest says it was their fags that did it
theres been an outcry where I live saying they should go to prison but they won’t even serve a day-everything’s been dropped

those poor kids-i had to walk past their house to get to a hairdressing client the following day and I just broke down-those kids must have been so frightened and wondering if mum or dad where coming to save them
I wondered at the time if the media blackout was because the perpetrator was a family member who was minor. The little that was reported publicly was worded very sensitively, which makes a change. Such an awful situation for the family.

Reactions: 1
Tia sharp
Shannon Matthews
Baby p
Holly and jessica
Jamie bulger
Maddie mccann
9/11
Millie dowler
Maddie mccann, she was the same age as my daughter when she was taken and we had a holiday booked the same year. We had two rooms booked, but I was so anxious I kept her in bed with me and my husband. Photographers on the resort kept wanting photos of her for us to buy, but I was convinced it was to sell her!! They kept referring to her blonde hair and blue eyes all the time. The waiters and bar men kept giving her attention and I just couldnt relax the whole time. Im gutted she has never been found and just replay in my head how scared she would have been.

Reactions: 6
I wondered at the time if the media blackout was because the perpetrator was a family member who was minor. The little that was reported publicly was worded very sensitively, which makes a change. Such an awful situation for the family.
that’s what the rumour at the time was-it’s said the girl who did it had mental health issues
i think she was 15 at the time
so sad for the family-my heart goes out to them

• Sad
Reactions: 3
It reminds me of Omayra Sánchez a young Columbia. girl trapped in debris and waters from a volcano triggered sort of landslide. She was alive for 3 days communicating with people etc but couldn’t be freed.
I’d never heard of this young lady, so I’ve just had a quick read. Oh my goodness, that poor girl!

Katie rough in york
her stepsister walked her about half a mile down the road,and slit her throat-I’m from the area and she would have passed my old house
it made the news-then nothing

a house fire which happened about a two minute walk from my house where four out of five children died (I moved the week Katie died)
natalie unitt and Christopher Moulton had been warned by social services not to smoke in the house
they carried on-well over 100 fag butts where found outside their house
the kids where so neglected they could only point and grunt at stuff
the house was silent even though it had 5 kids living in it-the smallest child was just shoved in a buggy in front of the tv all the time
i used to see them coming into work and it’s true-they where dirty,sticky looking almost with no socks or coats on and just didn’t speak-the parents where polite enough-not demanding like some are-I remember the little one in his buggy-he just looked ‘blank’
i remember saying to my mate that I hoped ss where involved as they just seemed very quiet and something was off-but there’s a few families like this that come in-we just serve food-nothing else,but it’s hard not to judge privately as you would if you where in the street
it looks like ss where more bothered about the mother,not the kids-I hope someone is held responsible but I don’t think they will
it looks like they where smoking in bed-the bedcovers set alight from a stray fag spark and the house just went up in flames
mum and dad got the smallest child out-and the other 4 died
the parents tried to blame it on a faulty boiler (which was what was being said in the area at the time) but seems that in inquest says it was their fags that did it
theres been an outcry where I live saying they should go to prison but they won’t even serve a day-everything’s been dropped

those poor kids-i had to walk past their house to get to a hairdressing client the following day and I just broke down-those kids must have been so frightened and wondering if mum or dad where coming to save them
I’ve been following this in the news the last few days. Although it sounds like much more could have been done to help these children, I do wonder if anything would ever have come to light if they hadn’t of died? Such a sad state of affairs.

Reactions: 2
Has anyone else been following the story about Bernadette Walker? She went missing in July this year and she hasn't been found yet but her parents were both charged with her murder. For some reason it's not been in the media much (not from what I've seen). I think the charges on the mum were dropped but think the dad is still suspected of killing her. So sad 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Bit different to most on here but John Jones who went into the nutty putty cave in America. It happened in 2009 but I only discovered the story this year and I couldn't get it out of my head. I struggled to breath just reading the series of unfortunate events that lead to his tragic death. His poor wife and their children. she was pregnant at the time too.
I think there is a dramatisation of this in Amazon Prime, it was awful to watch 😢

• Sad
But probably the WORST thing I have ever read (my eyes actually water every time I think about it) is a Japanese girl named Junko Furata. This girl was tortured for weeks by three boys in Japan, the stuff they did to her is unimaginable (dropped anvils on his stomach, cut her eyelids off, ripped bits of her off with pliers and much more). I would highly encourage you NOT to read any more about this because I thought my flatmate was exaggerating when he told me not to look it up, of course being an idiot, I looked it up. I've never felt so disturbed in my entire life. The worst thing is these three boys got away with it!! They got given new identities and they literally out there somewhere in Japan today.
I remember reading about this, I have been interested in True Crime for years and years but this is one of the few that has actually made me sick to my stomach, the torture was carried out over weeks!! I believe her poor mum had a heart attack when she found out what happened to her it was that horrific.
I’m not a particular believer in the death penalty but it scares me that there are humans on the planet as evil as this 😔. To me there is no rehabilitating someone who can commit this evil.

RIP Junko

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman who were murdered by Ian Huntley.
I was the same age as them, I remember their faces so clearly. My parents became very over protective after that, it was like there was a whole shift in behaviour.
I still remember one i
of the headlines whilst they were still missing "see these snaps, bring them back' with loads of lovely family pics. I remember asking lots of questions about it but not fully understanding.

Has anyone else been following the story about Bernadette Walker? She went missing in July this year and she hasn't been found yet but her parents were both charged with her murder. For some reason it's not been in the media much (not from what I've seen). I think the charges on the mum were dropped but think the dad is still suspected of killing her. So sad 😔
This is such a strange one. It’s been kept really quiet with no indication of a motive or how they concluded the parents were involved from what I’ve seen.

Filiacide fascinates me in a lot of ways as when it’s not as a result of long term abuse or honour killing, so often the parent somehow justifies it as ‘protecting’ their child. There’s two that stick with me...
This story of Olivia Kray’s murder by her father is sad and strange. Her mental health issues meant she was dependant on her father to the extent of calling the police if he left her, needing him to be with her if she left the house and so on. He could no longer take it but it’s unimaginable how desperate he could have been to kill her and why his mind saw that as the best course of action. Why not just kill himself if anyone instead he felt he had to kill her and her mother too he claimed.

Chris Foster a millionaire who became bankrupt killed his wife, daughter, dogs and horses and torched their mansion it would seem rather than let the baliffs come and let go of his lifestyle/admit to the bankruptcy. It’s such an unbelievable level of selfishness where again ‘protecting them’ is offered as some kind of justification.

• Sad
Has anybody seen this? FFS only eight and half years she served,hope she never lives in peace.🤬
I live near derby and If she is Ever seen in derby again it will be biggest who done it anger isn’t the word I don’t know what is 😡

• Sad
the story of a woman in her 30s leaving her house with her boxer dog inside and didn't go back for months. The body of the dog was found only because the neighbours reported a smell. The dog would of died over two painful weeks!! it had been so starving all the mop buckets and bowls had been upturned where the dog had been desperately trying to get food and water.

Still knocks me sick to this day!!! Will never forget it!

I think the woman might of been a solicitor too !!
I remember this mostly because I’m a boxer owner and dog lover. I remember they said he’d worn his paws to pretty much the bone trying to get out 💔

I live in a fairly small Dorset village and even the surrounding towns nothing too big happens.
A few years ago I was walking down my small road to walk the dog when I saw it had been closed off by police and the whole road going through the village.
A 90 year old had accidentally got his automatic car peddles mixed up and reversed into his wife’s elderly friend. Pinning her to a wall. Sorry to be graphic but she was obviously severed in half. This was all outside my house. The girl in the shop said they’d tried to help and she was still a live and that it was the worst thing she’d ever seen. The road was closed off for hours waiting for the highway crash cleanup team as it was an awful mess. When I walked the dog the evening all you could smell was blood from the puddles where they had cleaned. It was awful. I even felt sad for the poor old boy too.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Fascinating thread.

This story of a lorry driver crashing on the A34 whilst changing his music always stuck with me. The dashcam footage is horrific.

We drive down that road often when visiting family and I hate it, I think it is so dangerous and I often see lorry drivers on their phones. We had driven on that patch only the day before too.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
Fascinating thread.

This story of a lorry driver crashing on the A34 whilst changing his music always stuck with me. The dashcam footage is horrific.

We drive down that road often when visiting family and I hate it, I think it is so dangerous and I often see lorry drivers on their phones. We had driven on that patch only the day before too.

There is close to where I live, there’s been so many lorry related accidents here! I had an accident in a similar place because a lorry pulled out into my lane to overtake another lorry (going up hill 🙄) and took me out instead.

Reactions: 3
Some other stories not mentioned here:

The murder of Becky Watts - I had a newborn baby when this was unfolding and I was horrified.

Jo Yeates going missing so close to christmas on a slow news week then being found. The treatment of her whacky landlord by the press was appalling. The ITV drama The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies is a brilliant watch.

Also a few more local to me in Dorset so hit close to home:

Gaia Pope disappeared in Swanage in 2017 and I remember the search for her well. They found her body and ruled she had died of exposure. She was so troubled and sad and the police messed up the search so it made me very sad.

Heather Barnett's murder and found by her kids haunted me as her killer was uncaught for so long. He was linked to a crime in italy and that's how he was caught. I used to clean houses on that street too so was quite distressing .

And also the parents who covered up when their son murdered his girlfriend: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...spiring-model-girlfriend-17-jealous-rage.html

Lots of bleak stories from me there 😔

• Sad
hillsborough will always be firmly stuck with me. I was too young to remember when it happened but growing up seeing footage which was scarring and the awful news headlines that followed just made it one of the worst stories in modern history for me. Also knowing people who went to the match and still suffer with PTSD and my mum knew someone who ended up committing suicide because of survivors guilt, makes it even more tragic and real.

other news headlines that have always stayed with me are the murder of Sarah and Jessica, remember when it was first reported that they went missing and I just willed everyday that they be found safe and sound.

9/11 and the London bombings still make me cry if I think about them as well as the Paris bombing and the Manchester arena bombings.

do you remember around this time 8 years ago a gunman shot dead many children in a school in America, I cried every time I saw one of their little faces.

all absolutely tragic events. The loss of innocent children is just unbearable.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.