Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The two year old boy who was on holiday with his family to Florida (Disney World) and was dragged off into the water by an alligator, to his death. Just horrific. My son wasn’t much younger at the time, my heart broke for him and his family. Poor little darling. 😞
I was there when it happened 😔 we were leaving the park at night and the sheriffs car was there and a helicopter was flying about. No idea what was happening until we got back to the hotel. It’s supposed to be the happiest place in the world and to know what happened to that little boy was too upsetting to process. It was only a couple of days after the nightclub shooting in Orlando as well people were devastated.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Aside from the big ones like Holly and Jessica and James Bulger (he was born just 2 months after me) the Berkeley balcony collapse. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_balcony_collapse

A bunch of Irish students around my age doing a J1 like so many of my friends had. I remember reading one of the boys who died had written a postcard to his little brothers and sisters telling them how much he loved them and how great a time he was having. The post card arrived after he had passed away. Just so sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Remember seeing one about an elderly woman in a red coat that got hit by a bin lorry. They showed a CCTV clip of her walking out into the road (you don't see it happen). They then showed the CCTV after it happened. There were 3 men who witnessed it and they all looked shocked and horrified, one of them was doubled over as if he was about to be sick. Poor lady.
Gosh this remind me the death of an 86 year old in Durham. About 17 years ago now. Dragged for about 4 miles through the town onto the dual carriageway.
Only when the bus turned did the body fall to the side. 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Most have been mentioned. But things that always stick with me were
Falklands taking of port Stanley.
First Gulf War as I’d just had my first child and her dad got sent away. I watched the news in the night while feeding
Hungerford
Dunblane
Lockerbie
Kris Donald
Bradford FC and also Hillsborough
Lee Rigby
Holly and Jessica
9/11
Manchester Arena
Baby P as I had to read the report for my degree. What I read that day made me cry so much

Reactions: 2
Esther Dingley going missing in the Pyrenees while hiking.

There's something very off about this case.

It's why I joined Tattle.

Yes, he was afraid he would be in trouble for visiting a brothel.
Yes. Amy's story haunts me still.

To think she came so close to help 3 times and nada. Heartbreaking.

I admire the Canadian who flew to her parents to give as much info as he could.

That photo from the brothel that they think is her haunts me too. What a cruel existence.

And she never wanted to go on the cruise. It's just terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Jamie Bulger
Suzanne Capper, this was very close to home, made me very worried as it was just after Jamie Bulger's murder.
Victoria Climbiè
Shafilea Ahmed
Tia Sharpe
There are so many abuse stories that stick in my mind, including all the above and the Lost Prophets singer/paedophile. Elizabeth Fritzl. Fred and Rose West. Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, many years before my time but regularly on the news in my teens. Myra Hindley was brought up very close to where I lived and her mother was still in the local area. So many stories of suffering and families having to live on knowing that their loved ones suffered.

Also, the Alder Hey hospital scandal where body parts were retained without permission or knowledge of the deceased people's relatives

Reactions: 3
Tia sharp
Shannon Matthews
Baby p
Holly and jessica
Jamie bulger
Maddie mccann
9/11
Millie dowler

Esther Dingley going missing in the Pyrenees while hiking.

There's something very off about this case.

It's why I joined Tattle.

Yes. Amy's story haunts me still.

To think she came so close to help 3 times and nada. Heartbreaking.

I admire the Canadian who flew to her parents to give as much info as he could.

That photo from the brothel that they think is her haunts me too. What a cruel existence.

And she never wanted to go on the cruise. It's just terrible.
What do you think happened to Esther? I've only seen bits here and there x

Jamie Bulger
Suzanne Capper, this was very close to home, made me very worried as it was just after Jamie Bulger's murder.
Victoria Climbiè
Shafilea Ahmed
Tia Sharpe
There are so many abuse stories that stick in my mind, including all the above and the Lost Prophets singer/paedophile. Elizabeth Fritzl. Fred and Rose West. Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, many years before my time but regularly on the news in my teens. Myra Hindley was brought up very close to where I lived and her mother was still in the local area. So many stories of suffering and families having to live on knowing that their loved ones suffered.

Also, the Alder Hey hospital scandal where body parts were retained without permission or knowledge of the deceased people's relatives
Am I right I’m thinking most of the people who tortured Suzanne Capper are now free?

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 4
Just watching about Suzy Laplugh.

Getting bad vibes from the father!

What do you think happened to Esther? I've only seen bits here and there x

Two chains of thought on this one:

She did not want to settle down with the bf and has disappeared of her own accord

Or

She has had an accident

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Josef Fritzl yet? The man imprisoned his own daughter in a dungeon he built specifically for her and raped her for 24 years, he burned her baby that died in an incinerator. I remember his mugshot gave me chills as a teenager, the man was a monster with no remorse.

But probably the WORST thing I have ever read (my eyes actually water every time I think about it) is a Japanese girl named Junko Furata. This girl was tortured for weeks by three boys in Japan, the stuff they did to her is unimaginable (dropped anvils on his stomach, cut her eyelids off, ripped bits of her off with pliers and much more). I would highly encourage you NOT to read any more about this because I thought my flatmate was exaggerating when he told me not to look it up, of course being an idiot, I looked it up. I've never felt so disturbed in my entire life. The worst thing is these three boys got away with it!! They got given new identities and they literally out there somewhere in Japan today. What the actual duck.

As for animal abuse stories in the news (like the lady putting the cat in the bin, I remember reading about people putting their kittens in microwaves and one lady put her kitten in a washing machine), I genuinely think people who abuse animals should be put in some kind of Hunger Games where they're all made to kill each other and then the winner gets killed anyway. I volunteer at the RSPCA and the state some cats come in is horrid. We had a kitten with chemical burns in the other month, and another cat came in because its owner was filmed mistreating it. I hate the human race sometimes.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 24
I have often thought about how lucky we were that social media was not around during 9/11. We would have seen such horrors live streamed from the planes and towers... Whether from passengers/victims or the terrorists streaming it themselves.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
Bit different to most on here but John Jones who went into the nutty putty cave in America. It happened in 2009 but I only discovered the story this year and I couldn't get it out of my head. I struggled to breath just reading the series of unfortunate events that lead to his tragic death. His poor wife and their children. she was pregnant at the time too.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
The first news story I remember was Holly and Jessica 💔 The second was Madeleine McCann 💔 Needless to say I became a very wary little girl.

Reactions: 2
Bit different to most on here but John Jones who went into the nutty putty cave in America. It happened in 2009 but I only discovered the story this year and I couldn't get it out of my head. I struggled to breath just reading the series of unfortunate events that lead to his tragic death. His poor wife and their children. she was pregnant at the time too.
This is horrific! I’d never heard of this but just spent ages reading the accounts. The wife has remarried now and is mega religious which seems to have helped her greatly.

It reminds me of Omayra Sánchez a young Columbia. girl trapped in debris and waters from a volcano triggered sort of landslide. She was alive for 3 days communicating with people etc but couldn’t be freed.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
As far as I'm aware, 3 of them are still in prison. They should all be in prison and left to rot for what they did to that poor girl
I’ve just looked this case up and it’s absolutely shocking! It reminds me of that movie “an American crime”

This is horrific! I’d never heard of this but just spent ages reading the accounts. The wife has remarried now and is mega religious which seems to have helped her greatly.

It reminds me of Omayra Sánchez a young Columbia. girl trapped in debris and waters from a volcano triggered sort of landslide. She was alive for 3 days communicating with people etc but couldn’t be freed.
My absolute worst fear. The one that makes my blood curdle.

I’ve just looked this case up and it’s absolutely shocking! It reminds me of that movie “an American crime”
It's horrific, I just found out there's a tv movie of it but I don't think I'll be watching it. It's just too close to home, we did our weekly shop in the area she was held captive and she was only 2 years older than me when she was killed. I didn't know her and my upbringing and life were so different to hers but I just felt like she could have been a friend, almost.

• Sad
Katie rough in york
her stepsister walked her about half a mile down the road,and slit her throat-I’m from the area and she would have passed my old house
it made the news-then nothing

a house fire which happened about a two minute walk from my house where four out of five children died (I moved the week Katie died)
natalie unitt and Christopher Moulton had been warned by social services not to smoke in the house
they carried on-well over 100 fag butts where found outside their house
the kids where so neglected they could only point and grunt at stuff
the house was silent even though it had 5 kids living in it-the smallest child was just shoved in a buggy in front of the tv all the time
i used to see them coming into work and it’s true-they where dirty,sticky looking almost with no socks or coats on and just didn’t speak-the parents where polite enough-not demanding like some are-I remember the little one in his buggy-he just looked ‘blank’
i remember saying to my mate that I hoped ss where involved as they just seemed very quiet and something was off-but there’s a few families like this that come in-we just serve food-nothing else,but it’s hard not to judge privately as you would if you where in the street
it looks like ss where more bothered about the mother,not the kids-I hope someone is held responsible but I don’t think they will
it looks like they where smoking in bed-the bedcovers set alight from a stray fag spark and the house just went up in flames
mum and dad got the smallest child out-and the other 4 died
the parents tried to blame it on a faulty boiler (which was what was being said in the area at the time) but seems that in inquest says it was their fags that did it
theres been an outcry where I live saying they should go to prison but they won’t even serve a day-everything’s been dropped

those poor kids-i had to walk past their house to get to a hairdressing client the following day and I just broke down-those kids must have been so frightened and wondering if mum or dad where coming to save them

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.