Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow, what a scummy thing to do.

I did supermarket delivery picking for a while, every so often the crates are randomly selected by the system for manager audit, not just of the individual pickers, but also of the drivers to make sure they're not sneaking extra stuff out of the store in customer crates. Sometimes a picker or driver that's already got a strike against them from a previous mistake might be getting every crate they touch audited without them knowing. So your antics of putting extra things into a crate could very easily get a picker or driver hauled up before a manager to explain. They might get a performance related pay hit, they might get sent for retraining, they might lose their job. Seriously the picking is incredibly regulated and monitored. Please stop messing with innocent people's jobs like that when you don't understand the extent of the auditing and scrutiny that goes on.

Also for another poster that said about the pickers hurtling round the store, it's because it's all timed, you're supposed to hit a particular pick rate, different stores take it more seriously than others. There's also timers on the chilled and frozen crates where they have to be completed within a certain precise time so that the contents of the crates aren't out of the cold chain too long. If you don't pick the whole chilled or frozen crate in time someone else has to get a new crate and finish it off and it flags up and is generally not good for picker <-> manager relations.
Scummy, is a bit harsh. I was just thinking of the look of bewilderment on the customers face when they got a totally random item.

Consider me suitably chastised.

I nearly missed this post, as it didn't show up in my alerts. Unfortunately your overreaction made me laugh and I am sure that was not your intent.

Anyway, I won't do it again. Promise

On a side note, did you ever get into trouble for this. Methinks you did.

Reactions: 2
Wow, what a scummy thing to do.

I did supermarket delivery picking for a while, every so often the crates are randomly selected by the system for manager audit, not just of the individual pickers, but also of the drivers to make sure they're not sneaking extra stuff out of the store in customer crates. Sometimes a picker or driver that's already got a strike against them from a previous mistake might be getting every crate they touch audited without them knowing. So your antics of putting extra things into a crate could very easily get a picker or driver hauled up before a manager to explain. They might get a performance related pay hit, they might get sent for retraining, they might lose their job. Seriously the picking is incredibly regulated and monitored. Please stop messing with innocent people's jobs like that when you don't understand the extent of the auditing and scrutiny that goes on.

Also for another poster that said about the pickers hurtling round the store, it's because it's all timed, you're supposed to hit a particular pick rate, different stores take it more seriously than others. There's also timers on the chilled and frozen crates where they have to be completed within a certain precise time so that the contents of the crates aren't out of the cold chain too long. If you don't pick the whole chilled or frozen crate in time someone else has to get a new crate and finish it off and it flags up and is generally not good for picker <-> manager relations.
I guess if you have never worked in a retail setting you wouldn't understand how frustrating "hilarious" people like this are, we have just started a delivery service from our store and we have 15 mins to pick and bag up a delivery. I have worked in retail for 20 years retail staff dont always get much respect people often think its just sitting on a till or shelf stacking" it is hard work and the grief you sometimes have to put up with is unreal. As you say an extra item thrown in to a trolly for fun could cost someone their job.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
In retail you get in bother for all kinds of things outside your control/ just plain random stuff. And customers can just be pure awful for no reason. My experience was years back but I still see it when I go out shopping. It’s like being pressed down by the employers whilst having at least one or two customers being awful on a daily basis. I’ve had shifts where I’ve felt emotional because a customer has thanked me and been polite.
-At body shop you were expected to be on a customer within seconds of them coming in and profile them into their colour. You’d be mystery shopped on the regular.
- Most places I worked, if you got a mystery shop that was lower than like 80% or even indicated you were having a conversation with another staff member (even work related chat) you’d be in bother.
-had a customer running round changing the prices on the tag to ridiculous things. Came to my till with a £300 dress marked down to £38. My colleague saw them write it. Dammed if I did and dammed if I didn’t- would have been in trouble if I’d sold it at that price but as a consequence of just removing it from the shop floor the customer kicked off massively. Complaint went in- didn’t amount to anything but it’s stressful.
-customers trying to return underwear and things like earrings. Had a woman say her bf tried on some boxer shorts and they didn’t fit but then kicked off when I wouldn’t rerun them. Complained to HR.
- was threatened by a customer for not giving them a refund (I believe it was “give me my money back or I’ll kick your head in”).
-had an area manager kick off because she walked in whilst I was sat on a table (avoiding a spider whilst trying to get some coins from the safe- I am petrified of them). Just brushed it off and went to tidy the store and she kicked off because I wasn’t tidying at the “start of it” which was vague since the store had two entrances and I picked the messiest bit.
- a woman asked me if we had a toilet for her kid. I said no, just staff ones which her little one couldn’t use for health and safety reasons (no exaggeration either. Boxes were stacked to the ceiling and not secure at either end of the corridor, pins everywhere). So she threatened to let them do their business on the fitting room floor.
-at a completely different place, a colleague found a human tit in a changing room.
-I got my first job at 16. Approached my first ever customer and said hello and told them if they needed help just to let me know. The response was so awful and rude (basically told to duck off) that it crushed my confidence and I felt like tit.

Some of these are on the extreme but I do think some people genuinely don’t realise how awful it can be in a service industry. And I know not all of these are manners but please and thank yous or a hello back cost nothing. A lot of retail workers are underpaid, not being paid and treated like garbage from all angles.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
It seems like I opened a can of worms. Unfortunately, it's not just retail, any job which involves contact with "others" leaves you open to nastiness, be it wait staff, customer service staff or even doctors receptionists.

Some people are like that.

As you must be aware, a shop can refuse to sell anything to any customer. (Unless the law has changed).

I blame Kev, for this unwanted backlash. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My rude is neighbour I mentioned now gets ignored by me and my life has been so peaceful! I keep my head down but what is funny is what she does is say nothing anymore UNLESS she is already standing talking to someone. So she says hello and I obv pretend I dont hear her or pretend I am on the phone and then she starts muttering then to the person about me.
So on the outside it actually looks like I'm the rude one but if I say hello that opens up to her insulting me so sometimes rudeness breeds rudeness if that makes sense. And the strange thing is I am not a rude person I would be happy to stop and keep her company and have a nice neighbourly chat but I don't feel I should be made stand there while she makes comments on my appearance and insult me just because she is older.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
In retail you get in bother for all kinds of things outside your control/ just plain random stuff. And customers can just be pure awful for no reason. My experience was years back but I still see it when I go out shopping. It’s like being pressed down by the employers whilst having at least one or two customers being awful on a daily basis. I’ve had shifts where I’ve felt emotional because a customer has thanked me and been polite.
-At body shop you were expected to be on a customer within seconds of them coming in and profile them into their colour. You’d be mystery shopped on the regular.
- Most places I worked, if you got a mystery shop that was lower than like 80% or even indicated you were having a conversation with another staff member (even work related chat) you’d be in bother.
-had a customer running round changing the prices on the tag to ridiculous things. Came to my till with a £300 dress marked down to £38. My colleague saw them write it. Dammed if I did and dammed if I didn’t- would have been in trouble if I’d sold it at that price but as a consequence of just removing it from the shop floor the customer kicked off massively. Complaint went in- didn’t amount to anything but it’s stressful.
-customers trying to return underwear and things like earrings. Had a woman say her bf tried on some boxer shorts and they didn’t fit but then kicked off when I wouldn’t rerun them. Complained to HR.
- was threatened by a customer for not giving them a refund (I believe it was “give me my money back or I’ll kick your head in”).
-had an area manager kick off because she walked in whilst I was sat on a table (avoiding a spider whilst trying to get some coins from the safe- I am petrified of them). Just brushed it off and went to tidy the store and she kicked off because I wasn’t tidying at the “start of it” which was vague since the store had two entrances and I picked the messiest bit.
- a woman asked me if we had a toilet for her kid. I said no, just staff ones which her little one couldn’t use for health and safety reasons (no exaggeration either. Boxes were stacked to the ceiling and not secure at either end of the corridor, pins everywhere). So she threatened to let them do their business on the fitting room floor.
-at a completely different place, a colleague found a human tit in a changing room.
-I got my first job at 16. Approached my first ever customer and said hello and told them if they needed help just to let me know. The response was so awful and rude (basically told to duck off) that it crushed my confidence and I felt like tit.

Some of these are on the extreme but I do think some people genuinely don’t realise how awful it can be in a service industry. And I know not all of these are manners but please and thank yous or a hello back cost nothing. A lot of retail workers are underpaid, not being paid and treated like garbage from all angles.
I get you 100%! you can get some real nasty customers!

I rarely have a good thing to say about sorting office or post office staff, but today I had to pop to my sorting office to collect a parcel.
I had to collect a parcel from the small PO which was situated at the back of our local corner shop. On handing it over to me the employee said "I thought it was a bomb". The parcel had come from a country outside Europe and had Arabic script on it. Needless to say, I did not appreciate his comment. This happened only a few years ago, I should have made a complaint but didn't as he lived locally and ran the church clubs, so "well regarded" in the neighbourhood.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I'm sure the poster just thought they were doing a nice thing, a (possibly slightly misguided) RAOK for a stranger! But maybe now you've said this, they will think twice now you've said there could be consequences for the staff. I don't think the intentions were in any way "scummy".
I highly doubt the poster was doing something nice. Look at the username, it's been a while since I've come accross that particular tattle troll...

Last edited:
I highly doubt the poster was doing something nice. Look at the username, it's been a while since I've come accross that particular tattle troll...
WTF are you talking about and why are you calling me a troll, and what's wrong with my username.

WTF are you talking about and why are you calling me a troll, and what's wrong with my username.
Oh I am so glad you replied to this. I see it yesterday and was going to ask what they meant, but someone knocked at the door and then I had to take my grandchildren home so I forgot.

Oh I am so glad you replied to this. I see it yesterday and was going to ask what they meant, but someone knocked at the door and then I had to take my grandchildren home so I forgot.
I just saw it, and I thought I have never had a discussion with her, so I have no idea what she is on about.

Reactions: 1
Oh this is gonna be me new fav thread 🥲 I hate rude people. Defo getting worse, particularly kids/teenagers/old people.

Reactions: 8
I just saw it, and I thought I have never had a discussion with her, so I have no idea what she is on about.
We’ve come across each other before. Your post history is nothing but sexual and distasteful comments and ‘jokes’. Often quite misogynistic. A troll if ever I saw one.

• Wow
We’ve come across each other before. Your post history is nothing but sexual and distasteful comments and ‘jokes’. Often quite misogynistic. A troll if ever I saw one.
It seems I have made quite an impression on you, unfortunately I can't say the same for you.

In future I promise to lookout for your pearls of wisdom, oh wise one.

And I promise no more jokes. Just kidding, if you don't like my jokes, don't read them.

As YouTubers say, if you do then don't forget to like share and comment.

Reactions: 3
You're getting flak, but I agree. He might not be a troll in the traditional sense, but he has a history of baiting users with misogynistic posts. I blocked him, mentioned this in another thread and he started 'liking' my comments for the first time.

• Heart

I did a stint in retail back when I was at University and I recognise a lot of the above.

The people that behave this way thrive off the fact that you can't really answer back. They know the second you do, they'll demand to speak to the manager who will obviously have no choice but to side with the customer and you'll either get a severe telling off or the sack.

Long after I'd left retail jobs I was in the checkout queue and there was this woman who was being incredibly rude to the poor checkout girl who seemed new - complaining about things not being in stock (as though the girl could do anything about that) and saying she was scanning the items too slowly and that she was in a rush. Normally I'm not an outspoken person and I avoid conflict, but I couldn't stop myself from intervening. I just said something like: "It's not easy being on a checkout, I've done it myself. And I think she'd go a lot quicker if you let her do her job instead of talking at her constantly".

The second it was out my mouth I thought "oops, maybe I should have kept it to myself", but it was fine because the rude customer just looked angry for a second then said nothing. It was clear she realised she was powerless in the situation - what was she gonna do? Tell my mum? Stupid idiot. 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I did a stint in retail back when I was at University and I recognise a lot of the above.

The people that behave this way thrive off the fact that you can't really answer back. They know the second you do, they'll demand to speak to the manager who will obviously have no choice but to side with the customer and you'll either get a severe telling off or the sack.

Long after I'd left retail jobs I was in the checkout queue and there was this woman who was being incredibly rude to the poor checkout girl who seemed new - complaining about things not being in stock (as though the girl could do anything about that) and saying she was scanning the items too slowly and that she was in a rush. Normally I'm not an outspoken person and I avoid conflict, but I couldn't stop myself from intervening. I just said something like: "It's not easy being on a checkout, I've done it myself. And I think she'd go a lot quicker if you let her do her job instead of talking at her constantly".

The second it was out my mouth I thought "oops, maybe I should have kept it to myself", but it was fine because the rude customer just looked angry for a second then said nothing. It was clear she realised she was powerless in the situation - what was she gonna do? Tell my mum? Stupid idiot. 😂
I haven't met any rude checkout staff, but I have had staff follow me around as if I was about to nick something. On more than one occasion I've politely asked them to carry my basket as they are following me around anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I recently helped an older lady with a plant on a shelf in Morrisons, as I passed it down I tried to make small talk about how lovely it was and the last one left. She grabbed it from me and said 'You can't have it!' and walked off. No thanks for me. I was a bit stunned then I thought I have no idea what that lady's story is but she probably isn't a happy soul.

I also got told to 'move out of the way!' when I was stood on a railway platform. I hadn't realised I was stood in front of the toilets and angered an old lady. Even when I apologized profusely she looked at me with utter contempt and said 'you shouldn't stand there!'. 😲 Ruined my day out. But decided she was just an old lady and was probably a little world weary.

People on phones are quite something.
People are getting so short tempered and ignorant.
I went for an oncologist appointment the other day and even he was quite rude to me. My hubby was quietly fuming.
Don't get me started on doctor's receptionists 🥶

You're getting flak, but I agree. He might not be a troll in the traditional sense, but he has a history of baiting users with misogynistic posts. I blocked him, mentioned this in another thread and he started 'liking' my comments for the first time.
As I am on your blocked list you won't see this, but for others who can.

It seems when a male says something people feel it is misogynistic but if a female says it, it is perfectly reasonable.

On another thread I said shouldn't women be allowed to do only fans if they wanted to. A lady responded that many don't know what they are getting into with only fans.

Had a bloke said that he would be called misogynistic.

I personally don't use it so I don't have a dog in this fight either way.

I personally think OF has some kind of control, whereas other places don't, so isn't that safer.

Reactions: 1