Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven't met any rude checkout staff, but I have had staff follow me around as if I was about to nick something. On more than one occasion I've politely asked them to carry my basket as they are following me around anyway.
Fantastic reply 😁 Love it 👌

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a bit of both to be honest. In my experience teenagers treat everyone like they're idiots and not worth their time. It's only gotten worse with the generational bullshit where it's cool to hate on Boomers/Millennials/genX /GenZ. Though I worked retail and the worst people were the grumpy old men for sure.
Not all, but some very young nurses treat patients over 50 as if they are deaf and stupid and are very rude if anyone complains.

People have changed since Covid and the long lockdown. I swear that it started mental health problems for people who were totally ok before.
Everything seems alright on the surface but nothIng is like it was before the pandemic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
My son (about to go into year 8) has just had his friend over for the day. I've fed him lunch - homemade pizza where they chose the topping, then homemade waffles where they chose the topping too. I reckon that's a pretty fun / nice day? But no "thanks for having me" when he left? Do parents not teach their children to say this any more?? Even if you don't mean it, you say it automatically don't you? My kid knows this! He was even trying to get his friend to say it, but he didn't get the hint.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
My son (about to go into year 8) has just had his friend over for the day. I've fed him lunch - homemade pizza where they chose the topping, then homemade waffles where they chose the topping too. I reckon that's a pretty fun / nice day? But no "thanks for having me" when he left? Do parents not teach their children to say this any more?? Even if you don't mean it, you say it automatically don't you? My kid knows this! He was even trying to get his friend to say it, but he didn't get the hint.
I like homemade pizza and waffles and I would thank you profusely if I came to tea 😁

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
I like homemade pizza and waffles and I would thank you profusely if I came to tea 😁
same! @chickhicks86 - can mrs moon and i come over? 😉

seriously though i was always taught thank my friends’ parents for having me over for the day (or for giving me a lift somewhere etc) - it’s so rude, especially when you’d obviously made a lot of effort for them to have a fun day! the blame is probably with his parents sadly, credit to your son for trying to drop the hint though!

Reactions: 11
same! @chickhicks86 - can mrs moon and i come over? 😉

seriously though i was always taught thank my friends’ parents for having me over for the day (or for giving me a lift somewhere etc) - it’s so rude, especially when you’d obviously made a lot of effort for them to have a fun day! the blame is probably with his parents sadly, credit to your son for trying to drop the hint though!
I hope it's the exception rather than the norm, makes me feel like an old whinge bag. I didn't do any of it to get thanks, but it bothered me :cautious:

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Me too. 😁

I was in the supermarket this afternoon. Walking down an aisle, where at one point there was a customer with a trolley one side and a supermarket worker on the other side packing shelves.
There was space for one person to walk between them, which I did.

A woman coming in the opposite direction, with two small children in tow, barged towards me, knocking over a bollard (I don't know what to call it, possibly it was a sign showing where the floor had been wet or something) in the process. She glanced back at it and barged on.

I had literally half a step to take in order to be clear of the narrow space. She stood practically toe to toe with me 🙄 and said 'sorry' unconvincingly. I think that translated as get out of my way ...

'No problem' I said with equal insincerity and moved on.
One of her children picked up the sign she had knocked over with the air of a child well used to her nonsense. 🙄

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Just to add, she was like those people who insist on cramming into a lift, or onto the tube without letting people off, who are trying to leave. It didn't seem to occur to her that there was just space for one, and it was going to be free in half a second, literally, and she could plough on her way through the aisle.

Reactions: 9
My friends daughter never thanked me for her daughters birth gift so I never bother sending a card. I send the kid a small Christmas gift for my friend's sake more than anything but not a word of thanks or acknowledgement from the Mum. We were talking in the office earlier about how young people won't help out with tasks that are seen as menial eg photocopying preferring to either let it pile up or watch an overworked admin bod do it. I think they are the product of a very spoilt and "you are so wonderful daaaahling". Mollycoddled brats.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
My friends daughter never thanked me for her daughters birth gift so I never bother sending a card. I send the kid a small Christmas gift for my friend's sake more than anything but not a word of thanks or acknowledgement from the Mum. We were talking in the office earlier about how young people won't help out with tasks that are seen as menial eg photocopying preferring to either let it pile up or watch an overworked admin bod do it. I think they are the product of a very spoilt and "you are so wonderful daaaahling". Mollycoddled brats.
I think you are right! This kid is an only child, which I know doesn't change things in all cases, but maybe a bit more mollycoddling :/

Some will lie to you face and are very British and evil
Some will lie to your face the bratty losers. Lazy as f and will never get far in life.

I was doing my food shop at the self service the other day. I had just grabbed my receipt and starting to gather my bags.

A middle aged woman starts scanning her shopping, drapin herself almost on top of me. I couldn't help but snap at her "excuse me, can I finish up here first?!"

She said "of course you can" like she was doing me a huge favour. I was so shocked. Is there no respect for personal space anymore? And the ability to wait two seconds?

It has a knock on effect too, as I can feel myself becoming more grumpy because of it. It is such a vicious cycle.

Reactions: 16
My friends daughter never thanked me for her daughters birth gift so I never bother sending a card. I send the kid a small Christmas gift for my friend's sake more than anything but not a word of thanks or acknowledgement from the Mum. We were talking in the office earlier about how young people won't help out with tasks that are seen as menial eg photocopying preferring to either let it pile up or watch an d admin bod do it. I think they are the product of a very spoilt and "you are so wonderful daaaahling". Mollycoddled brats.
[/QUOTEd
That last quote shouldhave read : Some will lie to your face and are very bratty and evil - not British and evil lol
I was doing my food shop at the self service the other day. I had just grabbed my receipt and starting to gather my bags.

A middle aged woman starts scanning her shopping, drapin herself almost on top of me. I couldn't help but snap at her "excuse me, can I finish up here first?!"

She said "of course you can" like she was doing me a huge favour. I was so shocked. Is there no respect for personal space anymore? And the ability to wait two seconds?

It has a knock on effect too, as I can feel myself becoming more grumpy because of it. It is such a vicious cycle.
Yes it is catching. If someone was rude to me I ignored it but now I find myself snappy and I hate the feeling.

Reactions: 5
People are getting so short tempered and ignorant.
I went for an oncologist appointment the other day and even he was quite rude to me. My hubby was quietly fuming.
Don't get me started on doctor's receptionists 🥶
I've noticed this a lot recently. I'm absolutely convinced it is because of covid/lockdowns and people forgetting how to be around each other and losing any sort of tolerance and patience.

I am a right mardy cow but god I cannot bear a lack of manners. I was on holiday recently and the amount of people who never said please or thank you. Disgusting.

I was on a bus today, and somebody sneezed without putting their hand over their mouth. I had to get off the bus, because frankly I was appalled. If the last two years have taught us anything, it is that we must think of others. When coughing, yawning or sneezing, please cover your mouth, it is common courtesy.

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
I was on a bus today, and somebody sneezed without putting their hand over their mouth. I had to get off the bus, because frankly I was appalled. If the last two years have taught us anything, it is that we must think of others. When coughing, yawning or sneezing, please cover your mouth, it is common courtesy.
Unfortunately there are some filthy people around.
Always have been but we notice them more now because of all the covid hygiene rules.

Reactions: 9
Oh no so we all have to speak English all the he time😒on the continent different languages are acceptable but in the UK we are expected to speak English all the time. I live in Wales and Welsh is my mother tongue and according to some(not all) English people the reason we speak Welsh is too annoy the English and witch about them behind their backs. Utter nonsense we have a right to speak out own language in our own country and besides how are we supposed to know who is English and who isn't? Another thing we have been accused of is that we never actually speak Welsh in Wales but switch to Welsh if English people walk into a pub/shop/cafe total paranoia!!!
There is a difference. In Wales there are a lot of English interpretations of the Welsh language e.g. road signs. I do not mind if people want to speak in Welsh, they do not mean to exclude people. However if you go into many grocery stores that are owned by Asian people, they will mostly speak in their own language, they are trying to exclude you.
I must mention a recent visit to an aforementioned premises. The proprieters were friendly, and spoke to me in English, which lifted my spirits for the rest of the day.
Might it be an idea, for people of non Asian origin, to learn some hindu words - like thank you? This might be a positive thing to do.

Unfortunately there are some filthy people around.
Always have been but we notice them more now because of all the covid hygiene rules.
Similarly the idea of staying even a small distance away from others in queues etc is long forgotten. I was walking into a supermarket tonight and a guy walking behind me was on my heels.

Totally unnecessary. He could easily have walked to one side and overtaken me since he was obviously in such a rush. 🙄

Reactions: 7
I get really stressed at the supermarket checkout when people get too close and start unpacking their stuff, especially when they lean over me or push my shopping forward.
I do the polite look and hope they get the hint but have on occasion had to ask them to step back.
The worst was when there was a couple behind me and they started putting their stuff on the belt.
My stuff was going through and the wife walked in front and started putting her bags at the end. I asked her not to do it and she did that stupid don’t be silly shrug.
I nearly had a meltdown. Told the operator not to do anything else but could she call security because I thought this woman was trying to steal my shopping and I felt trapped and was scared to take my purse out of my handbag.
She then started giving off about me being stupid, the supervisor arrived, made her move, her husband stand two trolley lengths away.
I was so embarrassed

• Wow
Reactions: 6
My niece and nephew are so rude it’s shocking. we were brought up to say please and thank you at every opportunity and it’s completely drummed into us that it costs nothing to be polite.
People are lazy and with helicopter parenting, it’s not surprising this has happened.

• Sad
I've noticed this a lot recently. I'm absolutely convinced it is because of covid/lockdowns and people forgetting how to be around each other and losing any sort of tolerance and patience.

I am a right mardy cow but god I cannot bear a lack of manners. I was on holiday recently and the amount of people who never said please or thank you. Disgusting.
It's even like that on the phone now. People are snappy and rude for no reason. I get fuming and then snap back 🤢

Reactions: 6