Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I couldn’t agree with you more. I went to our local Tesco Express to collect a parcel and one assistant shouted to another ‘can you go get this lady’s parcel please’ lazy employee replied ‘oh no, I don’t feel like it - you do it’.

unprofessional, work shy. Just bloody annoying.
If you fill in the customer feed back cards it will go direct to area manger and then shop manager so they can be dealt with so unprofessional

Reactions: 5
I can’t stand rudeness!!

im trying to raise my children to be polite but then I think, would it harm them in the way this world is going and make them Seem weak or a walk over? Still trying to work on being assertive as i still have trouble myself in that dept.

it doesn’t take much to say please/thank you

One of my major pet peeves in manners is when you’re getting served somewhere and 2 staff members are having a full on conversation in a different language, utter rudeness.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I can’t stand rudeness!!

im trying to raise my children to be polite but then I think, would it harm them in the way this world is going and make them Seem weak or a walk over? Still trying to work on being assertive as i still have trouble myself in that dept.

One of my major pet peeves in manners is when you’re getting served somewhere and 2 staff members are having a full on conversation in a different language, utter rudeness.
Oh no so we all have to speak English all the he time😒on the continent different languages are acceptable but in the UK we are expected to speak English all the time. I live in Wales and Welsh is my mother tongue and according to some(not all) English people the reason we speak Welsh is too annoy the English and witch about them behind their backs. Utter nonsense we have a right to speak out own language in our own country and besides how are we supposed to know who is English and who isn't? Another thing we have been accused of is that we never actually speak Welsh in Wales but switch to Welsh if English people walk into a pub/shop/cafe total paranoia!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Oh no so we all have to speak English all the he time😒on the continent different languages are acceptable but in the UK we are expected to speak English all the time. I live in Wales and Welsh is my mother tongue and according to some(not all) English people the reason we speak Welsh is too annoy the English and witch about them behind their backs. Utter nonsense we have a right to speak out own language in our own country and besides how are we supposed to know who is English and who isn't? Another thing we have been accused of is that we never actually speak Welsh in Wales but switch to Welsh if English people walk into a pub/shop/cafe total paranoia!!!

🤣 I had Turkish and Greek friends who told me they did exactly this. So although you might not others most certainly would.

I have no problem with people speaking another language in my presence but chatting to each other while people are waiting to be served or being served is a no no.

I have no idea why jobs are in fact harder to get and keep due to all these assessments and training etc ( sorry not sure what they are actually called ) why service is so much worse.

its like driving tests get harder and harder but driving standards have lowered

Reactions: 10
🤣 I had Turkish and Greek friends who told me they did exactly this. So although you might not others most certainly would.

I have no problem with people speaking another language in my presence but chatting to each other while people are waiting to be served or being served is a no no.

I have no idea why jobs are in fact harder to get and keep due to all these assessments and training etc ( sorry not sure what they are actually called ) why service is so much worse.

its like driving tests get harder and harder but driving standards have lowered
Ignoring people who are waiting to be served and chatting instead is wrong in any language.

Reactions: 17
it has nothing to do with speaking your own language in your own time. I speak another language too but if im at work, i wouldn’t a) ignore a customer im serving b) ignore them and then have a conversation with my colleague in my own language whilst on duty.. its very rude

if im in a different country then its understandable, im not one of those who thinks if i go spain everyone should speak english.

Reactions: 12
it has nothing to do with speaking your own language in your own time. I speak another language too but if im at work, i wouldn’t a) ignore a customer im serving b) ignore them and then have a conversation with my colleague in my own language whilst on duty.. its very rude

if im in a different country then its understandable, im not one of those who thinks if i go spain everyone should speak english.
I have heard people complaining that Spanish people speak Spanish in Spain !

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I have heard people complaining that Spanish people speak Spanish in Spain !
well yes that is absolutely ridiculous, if im in a different country I obviously don’t expect people to speak english around me.

but when im in my bank trying to do my banking in england then yes i expect some common manners

Something I have observed multiple times recently whilst shopping:-

Families walking into the doorway to get into the shop as you are trying to come out. They hardly ever seem to allow you past. Always a wall of family blocking your way. Never "oh sorry, please go first". In my view, if you are entering a shop but someone is trying to get out, then the person getting out should go first. Same as you would expect with exiting a bus.

There was this family of adults at the supermarket yesterday who basically walked into me at the exit. Completely oblivious like I wasn't there. Happens far to often. What happened to being aware of your surroundings and being courteous, letting people out before you go in?!

Reactions: 13

Families walking into the doorway to get into the shop as you are trying to come out. They hardly ever seem to allow you past. Always a wall of family blocking your way. Never "oh sorry, please go first". In my view, if you are entering a shop but someone is trying to get out, then the person getting out should go first. Same as you would expect with exiting a bus.

There was this family of adults at the supermarket yesterday who basically walked into me at the exit. Completely oblivious like I wasn't there. Happens far to often. What happened to being aware of your surroundings and being courteous, letting people out before you go in?!
Yes this seems to be happening more and.more a block of young people were walking down a street in town last week and the were not letting people past. We had to wait for them to march on before moving on.

• Sad
I couldn’t agree with you more. I went to our local Tesco Express to collect a parcel and one assistant shouted to another ‘can you go get this lady’s parcel please’ lazy employee replied ‘oh no, I don’t feel like it - you do it’.

unprofessional, work shy. Just bloody annoying.
That reminds me of a hairdressers I used to go to. One of the trainee hairdressers just had no manner or niceness at all with customers. One day one of the hairdressers asked her to get a gown etc for me.
She said yes, but continued to scroll on her phone instead.

Very shortly afterwards, the place closed unexpectedly. Some of the senior staff subsequently took it over and reopened it, with every single member of the original staff.

Except one.

Reactions: 11
I can’t stand rudeness!!

I was raised as a very polite child - too polite in fact. My dad once told me a story of how he took me to the park once aged about 4 and I was getting shoved out of the way by all the other kids to use the slide, I kept letting them go in front of me, doing the 'after you' thing, and no one let me have a turn! IN the end my dad had to intervene. Subsequently they tried to make sure I was polite, but assertive. I still had other kids pushing in front of me and to be honest it was the same with my own children, I tried to make them polite (and actually think they have pretty reasonable manners) but it almost seems pointless when almost everyone else is so bloody rude!

Some years ago I worked with a guy who'd recently moved to the UK from Zimbabwe (when Mugabe was seizing all the white farmer's lands) anyway this guy was the politest person I have ever met, would stand up if someone entered the room, would dash in front of you to open the door for you, and on pavements he always made sure he was on the side nearest the road. He left our company for a role in Central London, I wish I'd kept in touch because god knows how the poor sod would have coped on the Tube with all the pushing and shoving.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I was raised as a very polite child - too polite in fact. My dad once told me a story of how he took me to the park once aged about 4 and I was getting shoved out of the way by all the other kids to use the slide, I kept letting them go in front of me, doing the 'after you' thing, and no one let me have a turn! IN the end my dad had to intervene. Subsequently they tried to make sure I was polite, but assertive. I still had other kids pushing in front of me and to be honest it was the same with my own children, I tried to make them polite (and actually think they have pretty reasonable manners) but it almost seems pointless when almost everyone else is so bloody rude!
Yes thats my worry, im too polite i think and i always go out of my way for others and don’t want my kids to be the same level, i’m already seeing it in my eldest with a smilar slide situation as yourself.

unfortunately the world isn’t always appreciative of such manners and niceness.

Reactions: 8
Another thing I’ve noticed is a lot of brattish children, with no manners. Presumably because their parents don’t teach them any! Scowling at old people in shops and barging past. I would be thoroughly ashamed if my children behaved So badly.

Vivien Leigh's mother told her the most important thing in life was to have beautiful manners and clean underwear. :giggle:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Yes, if recent means in the last 45 years. I have always thanked drivers. You are right they get paid, but most of are pleased when someone says thanks even if we're just doing our job.

I have become friendly with many drivers, and on more than one occasion they have stopped closer to where I needed to be.

I'll let you into a secret pleasure of mine, it's extremely childish, but it amuses me.

When I see a picker doing their job, I occasionally take pleasure in adding an extra item or two to the cart/trolley.

Do you pickers double check the list at checkout.

So you get pleasure out of messing a persons job up? Nice.

Reactions: 7

Yes! I posted something similar on another thread - a woman with three teenage girls barging towards me on a footpath recently. I held my ground and I could see the amazement on the face of the one who had to give way to let me pass. Don't we own the footpath Mummy... 😉

Similarly with a couple I met as I was walking into a shopping centre one evening. I turned to my right to walk into a shop. She had already gone past me and the logical normal thing for him to do would have been to walk behind me, in the completely empty space there. But no, he squeezed between me and the shop doorway I was about to enter as though if he went in any way except her exact pathway, he would crumble and melt or something. Idiot.

Reactions: 7
Problem is I think some people make their kids too assertive.

I’ll never forget two girls that lived on the council estate near me. Mum, dad & two daughters.

They were the most horrible girls I’ve ever met. No manners, no respect for anyone and just constantly shouting at everyone. If anyone dared to look at them they’d become aggressive and rude.

I know someone who lives near one of them now and she’s a nightmare. You can’t ask her politely to do anything, otherwise she will just turn nasty and she has 0 respect.

Vile people, I didn’t know why you’d raise your kids like that.

I’ve hosted dinner twice this year for extended family- one was a takeaway and one was bbq

both times no one has commented such as ‘ohh this looks lovely’ upon seeing food or a thank you for dinner on departing

Wtf is that about, I’d never go to someone’s house and not thank them for hosting?!

upon reading this back it reads like I could be a terrible cook (assure I am not 🤣) however one was takeaway so i cannot take blame ha, though in my eyes even if I thought food was terrible I’d still say thank you on leaving? Just basic manners yea?