Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I get really stressed at the supermarket checkout when people get too close and start unpacking their stuff, especially when they lean over me or push my shopping forward.
I do the polite look and hope they get the hint but have on occasion had to ask them to step back.
The worst was when there was a couple behind me and they started putting their stuff on the belt.
My stuff was going through and the wife walked in front and started putting her bags at the end. I asked her not to do it and she did that stupid don’t be silly shrug.
I nearly had a meltdown. Told the operator not to do anything else but could she call security because I thought this woman was trying to steal my shopping and I felt trapped and was scared to take my purse out of my handbag.
She then started giving off about me being stupid, the supervisor arrived, made her move, her husband stand two trolley lengths away.
I was so embarrassed
When I'm serving on the till I still remind people to keep a distance if they appear to get to close to the customer in front, I had a guy the other day put his basket on my till before my customer had finished so I politely asked him to take his basket back and stand back until I had finished he didn't like it but its the way I work I will not start serving the next customer until my current customer has walked away no matter how impatient they are.

Reactions: 12
I get really stressed at the supermarket checkout when people get too close and start unpacking their stuff, especially when they lean over me or push my shopping forward.
I do the polite look and hope they get the hint but have on occasion had to ask them to step back.
The worst was when there was a couple behind me and they started putting their stuff on the belt.
My stuff was going through and the wife walked in front and started putting her bags at the end. I asked her not to do it and she did that stupid don’t be silly shrug.
I nearly had a meltdown. Told the operator not to do anything else but could she call security because I thought this woman was trying to steal my shopping and I felt trapped and was scared to take my purse out of my handbag.
She then started giving off about me being stupid, the supervisor arrived, made her move, her husband stand two trolley lengths away.
I was so embarrassed
I tend to accidently swing my bag around when this happens :D Or refuse to move forwards when the rest of the queue does!

Reactions: 4
How have I only just found this thread?! I can’t abide rudeness, manners cost nothing.
I work with a girl in her early 20s, she’s incredibly sheltered and naive, but she can be extremely rude. Earlier this week she messaged me on teams asking a question, I didn’t quite understand what she meant so asked a question back, she responded with ‘never mind’. And I know that is wasn’t sent in a ‘oh nevermind don’t worry I’ve figured it out’ light breezy sort of way. It was a petulant way.
I would never dream of speaking to any of my colleagues like that or answering with ‘nevermind’.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I was in McDonald’s today and I was having a conversation with my mum when a young girl who worked in McDonald’s decided to butt into our conversation to tell me that something I was telling my mum was wrong… excuse me?
Like who just butts into a strangers conversation to correct them? Erm, go away!

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I was in McDonald’s today and I was having a conversation with my mum when a young girl who worked in McDonald’s decided to butt into our conversation to tell me that something I was telling my mum was wrong… excuse me?
Like who just butts into a strangers conversation to correct them? Erm, go away!
This reminds me of a time I was on a bus about 8 years ago.

Two old women in front of me were trying to remember what an accordion was called. One was describing it to the other who said she knew what she was talking about but couldn't remember the name. The conversation goes on for about 5 minutes with them each suggesting stupid things.

So I leant forward and said excuse me, the instrument you are talking about is an accordion. Thinking I'm being helpful as these two old girls weren't getting it and clearly didn't know how to Google it.

They turned round both gave me a dirty look and said don't be so ridiculous a young girl like you couldn't possibly know what we are talking about

Last time I try to help a stranger 🙄🙄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
This reminds me of a time I was on a bus about 8 years ago.

Two old women in front of me were trying to remember what an accordion was called. One was describing it to the other who said she knew what she was talking about but couldn't remember the name. The conversation goes on for about 5 minutes with them each suggesting stupid things.

So I leant forward and said excuse me, the instrument you are talking about is an accordion. Thinking I'm being helpful as these two old girls weren't getting it and clearly didn't know how to Google it.

They turned round both gave me a dirty look and said don't be so ridiculous a young girl like you couldn't possibly know what we are talking about

Last time I try to help a stranger 🙄🙄
Oh god! That’s so rude!

I wouldn’t have minded if the girl in McDonald’s was trying to help or something, but I was telling my mum about how some item of tech works and this young girl butts in with, “sorry I just overheard your conversation, but actually it works such an such a way instead.” It just really annoyed me that she was such a know it all she just had to try and correct me! Did no one ever teach her it’s rude?

Reactions: 3
A few weeks ago, I was using a self service till at a local supermarket. I hadn't quite finished the operation, when I noticed a man standing too close to me. It freaked me out a little, so I walked away. Because I hadn't finished with the till, the man had to call someone over to reset it. Quite irritating.

Reactions: 5
I was on a bus today, and somebody sneezed without putting their hand over their mouth. I had to get off the bus, because frankly I was appalled. If the last two years have taught us anything, it is that we must think of others. When coughing, yawning or sneezing, please cover your mouth, it is common courtesy.
That's disgusting yuck

Reactions: 4
I absolutely detest people who can't say a simple please or thank you. When coming out of the shop earlier I held the door open for a couple who weren't very far behind me. He walked out first and just walked on with the woman behind him. Not a single thank you. So I just shouted after them 'YOU'RE WELCOME!'.. they just looked at me and walked on. Not the first time that has happened to me either.
I think because I have really good manners, I expect the same back and I'm always surprised when so many people don't have them.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I was walking into my local M&S today, wide, double door, plenty of room for people to pass as they enter and exit. A woman was coming out with three/ four children. She made no attempt to get them to create space so that they weren't taking up the full doorway. So kids like that then have no idea of basic manners, they just barge on because that's what they see her doing. I just kept walking and they had to give me space.

I'm sick of it.

Likewise if you're walking and there's two people together, meeting one or more along a path, my automatic thing would be to drop into single file. I was walking one evening, and as I was about to meet a couple with a buggy, which she was pushing, they clearly expected me to stand aside to allow them to pass. When it became clear that I just was not doing that, he had to kinda skip in behind her at the last minute. I would say they are still gazing after me in amazement. How dare I want a bit of the footpath.

And lastly, if you're walking your dog, especially on an extendable lead, this does not give you some kind of magic right of way to have the dog at one side of the path, and you the other, with no thought of how someone you are meeting is going to get past.

Grrrrrrrr 😡

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I live “down under” and once worked for a short period of time on a supermarket checkout where I happily chatted politely to all customers and dutifully packed their groceries with a smile. One guy came through after I had packed his stuff, and asked him how is day was going looked me right in the face and yelled “duck off you pommie bastard”!!

I was speechless, but wish I’d had the guts to empty his bags all over the floor and say “up yours you ignorant piece of tit”!!!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
And lastly, if you're walking your dog, especially on an extendable lead, this does not give you some kind of magic right of way to have the dog at one side of the path, and you the other, with no thought of how someone you are meeting is going to get past.
Agreed. Those extendable leads ought to be banned.
---
I live “down under” and once worked for a short period of time on a supermarket checkout where I happily chatted politely to all customers and dutifully packed their groceries with a smile. One guy came through after I had packed his stuff, and asked him how is day was going looked me right in the face and yelled “duck off you pommie bastard”!!

I was speechless, but wish I’d had the guts to empty his bags all over the floor and say “up yours you ignorant piece of tit”!!!
Can you refuse to serve someone if they swear at you? I mean rudeness is part and parcel of the job but you shouldn't have to put up with swearing and being called a bastard.

Reactions: 8
I was walking into my local M&S today, wide, double door, plenty of room for people to pass as they enter and exit. A woman was coming out with three/ four children. She made no attempt to get them to create space so that they weren't taking up the full doorway. So kids like that then have no idea of basic manners, they just barge on because that's what they see her doing. I just kept walking and they had to give me space.

I'm sick of it.

Likewise if you're walking and there's two people together, meeting one or more along a path, my automatic thing would be to drop into single file. I was walking one evening, and as I was about to meet a couple with a buggy, which she was pushing, they clearly expected me to stand aside to allow them to pass. When it became clear that I just was not doing that, he had to kinda skip in behind her at the last minute. I would say they are still gazing after me in amazement. How dare I want a bit of the footpath.
People blocking the way is my pet hate too but the amount of times the person was genuinely oblivious as opposed to ignorant must be 8/10 🫤 and inside I’m like Will off the Inbetweeners after his “bleeping pushing in” rant. I try to be more lenient now because 🤷🏼‍♀️ Public paths are the worst, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
People blocking the way is my pet hate too but the amount of times the person was genuinely oblivious as opposed to ignorant must be 8/10 🫤 and inside I’m like Will off the Inbetweeners after his “bleeping pushing in” rant. I try to be more lenient now because 🤷🏼‍♀️ Public paths are the worst, though.
I put it down to stupidity and ignorance most of the time which helps me to rationalise the lack of manners😁
I used to be more lenient but I got very tired of always being the one to step aside and make way.

Reactions: 7
Manners have gone out of the window as people are now so self absorbed.

Went to tesco yesterday, there was a man who parked his trolley in the middle of the aisle, no space for anyone to get past. I approach, (inside I’m like FFS YOU INCONSIDERATE DICK!) and say “excuse me” (not sure why I’m excusing myself but it’s polite after all.) He ignores me. I say it again louder. Again ignored. Look at him to work out what his problem is. He has AirPods in and is completely oblivious. Shoppers behind me are like wtf?

So I rammed his trolley out of the way and then get a dirty look for my trouble.

There’s just no awareness of other people anymore.

Reactions: 15
So for the last 16 years I have been a hospital telephonist and I agree that after covid people have become far more aggressive and ill mannered. I am actually looking for other jobs as the way people talk to me is seriously affecting my mental health. Its not just external people too, some of the staff can be absolutely awful.
I have noticed it in so many places, my GP is worse, the receptionists never acknowledge you and just sit typing or are on the phone. Just a nod of the head is better than nothing. My surgery is merged with another so there are 2 receptionists for each practice. The other day after waiting 10 minutes on my unmanned side I went to the other receptionist to see if she could check me in. She rudely just told me to wait and that the receptionist was on her break. When the receptionist came back I was late for my appt and the receptionist then told me i was late and that I would have to wait, You literally cannot win.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I think lack of manners at the moment is due to the fall out of Covid, I think we all got comfortable keeping a distance and also it taught us all to look out for no.1 and screw anyone else. I mean I look back at how hardcore some people were about toilet roll and petrol! We saw the best of some people but the majority were utter knobs.

Secondly, this cost of living crisis isn’t helping. People are under immense pressure at the moment and I think due to that people have a much shorter fuse.

I’m probably going to get flamed for this but I also think decent parenting has gone out of the window. As a child, I was raised by my mum with her values. I learnt to say please and thank you. I engaged with other children socially that involved interactive games. Waiting my turn when an adult was talking and not interrupting etc etc. I was reprimanded appropriately when I did something rude or behaved badly. My mum would hold out all day if I refused to do something in order to instill manners in me.

Now? We have a generation of children being raised by grandparents/child minders as both parents need to work. Most of whom are not taking the time to teach basic manners/ disciplining children. Why would you put in the effort to do that for someone else’s child when either you aren’t getting paid that much or you are looking after them solely as they are your grandchild? Then, say you do a full time job, by the time you collect your child from childcare/grandparents, feed them their dinner, bathe them and tuck them into bed. That parent is spending about 3 hours a day with their child. That child isn’t going to respond that well to someone who barely spends quality time with them. Why would they? Then at weekends, again you’re going to want an easy life as you barely spend time with your kid and want them to be zero hassle so you let things slide or alternatively you are that knackered from work that you again do anything for an easy life.

Schools are also restricted more now in terms of discipline. You’re expected to reason with children and de-escalate situations. Whereas back in the day, I would have been quite rightly told off!

*prepares to be flamed by parents who have children looked after by childminders and grandparents* 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Manners have gone out of the window as people are now so self absorbed.

Went to tesco yesterday, there was a man who parked his trolley in the middle of the aisle, no space for anyone to get past. I approach, (inside I’m like FFS YOU INCONSIDERATE DICK!) and say “excuse me” (not sure why I’m excusing myself but it’s polite after all.) He ignores me. I say it again louder. Again ignored. Look at him to work out what his problem is. He has AirPods in and is completely oblivious. Shoppers behind me are like wtf?

So I rammed his trolley out of the way and then get a dirty look for my trouble.

There’s just no awareness of other people anymore.
This!!! Whenever i go and do the big shop there’s always at least one person who just blocks and aisle with their trolley. Or I end up going at that time of day where it’s like the supermarket is a social club and people block the aisle and have a long conversation with someone they know.

Reactions: 5
I think lack of manners at the moment is due to the fall out of Covid, I think we all got comfortable keeping a distance and also it taught us all to look out for no.1 and screw anyone else. I mean I look back at how hardcore some people were about toilet roll and petrol! We saw the best of some people but the majority were utter knobs.

Secondly, this cost of living crisis isn’t helping. People are under immense pressure at the moment and I think due to that people have a much shorter fuse.

I’m probably going to get flamed for this but I also think decent parenting has gone out of the window. As a child, I was raised by my mum with her values. I learnt to say please and thank you. I engaged with other children socially that involved interactive games. Waiting my turn when an adult was talking and not interrupting etc etc. I was reprimanded appropriately when I did something rude or behaved badly. My mum would hold out all day if I refused to do something in order to instill manners in me.

Now? We have a generation of children being raised by grandparents/child minders as both parents need to work. Most of whom are not taking the time to teach basic manners/ disciplining children. Why would you put in the effort to do that for someone else’s child when either you aren’t getting paid that much or you are looking after them solely as they are your grandchild? Then, say you do a full time job, by the time you collect your child from childcare/grandparents, feed them their dinner, bathe them and tuck them into bed. That parent is spending about 3 hours a day with their child. That child isn’t going to respond that well to someone who barely spends quality time with them. Why would they? Then at weekends, again you’re going to want an easy life as you barely spend time with your kid and want them to be zero hassle so you let things slide or alternatively you are that knackered from work that you again do anything for an easy life.

Schools are also restricted more now in terms of discipline. You’re expected to reason with children and de-escalate situations. Whereas back in the day, I would have been quite rightly told off!

*prepares to be flamed by parents who have children looked after by childminders and grandparents* 😂
*joins the flames with you*

I think a lot to do with it is that we nowadays are so reliant on tech and we know it’s addictive.
When I was a kid we didn't have them so we played with toys and when we were bored we got told to find something to do. We also got taught how to behave because parents didn't have the luxury of a phone or ipad to give to us at a restaurant/on the train/doctors surgery, so we got told to be quiet, sit down and were forced to observe the behaviour around us which is how we learnt.

*joins the flames with you*

I think a lot to do with it is that we nowadays are so reliant on tech and we know it’s addictive.
When I was a kid we didn't have them so we played with toys and when we were bored we got told to find something to do. We also got taught how to behave because parents didn't have the luxury of a phone or ipad to give to us at a restaurant/on the train/doctors surgery, so we got told to be quiet, sit down and were forced to observe the behaviour around us which is how we learnt.
I agree with this. I think technology plays a big part. People want everything NOW, they have no patience whatsoever. And completely wrapped up in their own world with their ear pods in and looking at their phone rather than what's going on around them.