Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wondering does anybody else think people's manners have disappeared, I work in a convenience shop and the amount of people on the phone the whole time I'm serving them and people who don't say please or thankyou or even utter a word. People getting off the bus and not thanking the driver.

I was in town with my mum shopping the other day, she stopped to look at something and a old women moaned at her for stopping, then outside a foreign woman whizzed past me on a bike saying "next time I will run you over ##$$"

Is this normal now? I do think it's even worse since covid, is it just me?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
I have noticed it too, in shops when looking at something usually. Instead of people politely saying excuse me please so they can get past you, they would rather tut and huff at you 🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 24
I recently helped an older lady with a plant on a shelf in Morrisons, as I passed it down I tried to make small talk about how lovely it was and the last one left. She grabbed it from me and said 'You can't have it!' and walked off. No thanks for me. I was a bit stunned then I thought I have no idea what that lady's story is but she probably isn't a happy soul.

I also got told to 'move out of the way!' when I was stood on a railway platform. I hadn't realised I was stood in front of the toilets and angered an old lady. Even when I apologized profusely she looked at me with utter contempt and said 'you shouldn't stand there!'. 😲 Ruined my day out. But decided she was just an old lady and was probably a little world weary.

People on phones are quite something.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 54
Definitely!

I was on holiday recently and the amount of loud so you can hear passive aggression from the Brits is so gross! I had some old man making a big song and dance because I got off the bus before him, whilst he was still sitting down and making no indication of movement?? Am I meant to go along asking everyone who's planning to get off and do they want to go before me?

Someone else made a snidey comment about me blocking their view when i was stood looking over a balcony and they were lying on a sunbed a few feet away? Absolutely baffling again.

Also noticed this new found rudeness in some shops/restaurants with the staff. Me and my bf have walked in to bars/cafes etc and been completely blanked by the staff there, so you're just stood in the doorway waiting to be acknowledged whilst they're chatting away. Once there was 2 of them doing a dance whilst we stood there like 😐 We've started just walking out (Obviously not if they're busy working)

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I hear you, OP, there are some incredibly rude people out there!
DD is going to a new school in sept which is keen on good manners and thoughtfulness - it sounds lovely 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Most people are cunts. The worst are the ones who walk two/three abreast on the pavement/path and expect you to walk in the road or on the grass verge.

Don't even get me started about people talking on their phones whilst being served; so bleeping rude! You are not that bleeping important, put the phone down for 10 seconds and learn some bleeping manners!

• Heart
Reactions: 70
Most people are cunts. The worst are the ones who walk two/three abreast on the pavement/path and expect you to walk in the road or on the grass verge.

Don't even get me started about people talking on their phones whilst being served; so bleeping rude! You are not that bleeping important, put the phone down for 10 seconds and learn some bleeping manners!
I really wish we could refuse to serve customers on the phone 😤

Reactions: 23
I find older people to be the rudest of the lot
When I worked in retail, I found it was the elderly customers that were really impatient and would have a strop If something was out of stock

Reactions: 23
When I worked in retail, I found it was the elderly customers that were really impatient and would have a strop If something was out of stock
same! i worked as a cashier while in college and was reduced to tears by more than one elderly customer. they can be absolutely vile.

just last week i was standing in front of the pasta sauces in tesco (for literally two seconds) when i heard someone say “MOVE” behind me. i turned to see a lovely little old lady, a proper pastel cardigan sort, thought well it can’t possibly have been her, looked around, didn’t see anyone else. smiled at old lady, she held eye contact with me and said “MOVE” again 😳

i moved. but i felt annoyed about it 🤣 i don’t know if it’s bad manners or just a complete lack of patience. or both!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 30
No, thankfully! Where is everyone approx? Where did you holiday @lurkingaround123 ?

I think the culture has become too permissive, we don't shame anti-social behaviour like we used to.

Reactions: 17
I hear you, OP, there are some incredibly rude people out there!
DD is going to a new school in sept which is keen on good manners and thoughtfulness - it sounds lovely 😊
Wonderful. My children are grown now but every child invited to tea had impeccable manners. It warmed my heart. I was also complimented on my daughter's manners when visiting friends house. It's really important to me because they get invited back. Though in her first proper job she was taken to one side and told 'You don't have to say thank you every time I hand you something' 😂. It completely confused her.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
I opened a door for a woman who was probably in her 70's and didn't get a word of thanks.
I also stepped aside for an elderly woman in a electric wheelchair to pass not one word of thanks or a smile.
I came across a huge bloke with a tattooed face and stood aside for him to pass, "no no he" said "you go first", "thanks" I said, "pleasure" he replied.

Now then those 2 rude old bags would berate the tattoeed gentleman but he had more class and manners in his little finger than they had in their John Lewis clothed carcasses.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 62
When did people stop queuing at bus stops? It's a free-for-all so if you are old / slow / less physically able than others, you are left for dust.

Once you are on the bus, there is always one person shouting into their phone and then listening to the reply on loudspeaker or watching a bloody video at full volume. I've no idea why this annoys me quite as much as it does but I can hear people shouting even if I have ear phones in myself.

On the other hand, people thanking the bus driver is a fairly recent thing, I think? Bus drivers must be sick to death of people shouting thank you all day long. I'm not sure they can even hear in their sealed compartments now as they cannot hear if you are just speaking to them face to face so its just more noise. Perhaps I should just get ear plugs for bus travel and have done with it!

Reactions: 14
When did people stop queuing at bus stops? It's a free-for-all so if you are old / slow / less physically able than others, you are left for dust.

Once you are on the bus, there is always one person shouting into their phone and then listening to the reply on loudspeaker or watching a bloody video at full volume. I've no idea why this annoys me quite as much as it does but I can hear people shouting even if I have ear phones in myself.

On the other hand, people thanking the bus driver is a fairly recent thing, I think? Bus drivers must be sick to death of people shouting thank you all day long. I'm not sure they can even hear in their sealed compartments now as they cannot hear if you are just speaking to them face to face so its just more noise. Perhaps I should just get ear plugs for bus travel and have done with it!
I think thanking the driver is a fairly recent thing, as he does get paid for it he is not volunteering.

Reactions: 6
Not an excuse, but is it possible that (generally) it's the other way round and it's young people who are rude to the elderly and they've become cynical/tough in public in order to cope? Because now you mention it, I have had some weird experiences where they have misinterpreted my intention

Reactions: 4
Definitely!

I was on holiday recently and the amount of loud so you can hear passive aggression from the Brits is so gross! I had some old man making a big song and dance because I got off the bus before him, whilst he was still sitting down and making no indication of movement?? Am I meant to go along asking everyone who's planning to get off and do they want to go before me?

Someone else made a snidey comment about me blocking their view when i was stood looking over a balcony and they were lying on a sunbed a few feet away? Absolutely baffling again.

Also noticed this new found rudeness in some shops/restaurants with the staff. Me and my bf have walked in to bars/cafes etc and been completely blanked by the staff there, so you're just stood in the doorway waiting to be acknowledged whilst they're chatting away. Once there was 2 of them doing a dance whilst we stood there like 😐 We've started just walking out (Obviously not if they're busy working)
Next time say ‘I am the view’ 💁🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Not excusing the obvious bad behaviour posted, but is it possible that (generally) it's the other way round and it's young people who are rude to the elderly and they've become cynical/tough in public in order to cope? Because now you mention it, I have had some weird experiences where they have misinterpreted my intention
It wouldn't surprise me if it was a bit of both to be honest. In my experience teenagers treat everyone like they're idiots and not worth their time. It's only gotten worse with the generational bullshit where it's cool to hate on Boomers/Millennials/genX /GenZ. Though I worked retail and the worst people were the grumpy old men for sure.

Reactions: 15
@Pipsy I was on a ship full of Brits in the Med, everything except the elderly clientele was lovely 😂

I think a lot of old people feel a bit like they've earned the right to be horrible and rude on one hand and on the other they expect to be pandered to too much, then when you treat them like you'd treat anyone else they're enraged

Next time say ‘I am the view’ 💁🏻‍♀️
I was so confused he even said it when I clearly made it better 😆😆

• Haha
Reactions: 10
i remember when i worked in retail a woman called me a d*ckhead bc we didn't have the thing she wanted and last week, i was in the bakery and an older man was leaving and had his hands full, so i opened the door for him and he didn't even look at me or smile as i did it - i was fuming and thought, "next time i'll throw that baguette at your head!" 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 26