What's the most creepiest or scariest thing that's ever happened to you?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not quite evil vibes, but a gut feeling that the person can’t be trusted, that has been bang on several times.
I changed schools, aged 15, there was one girl who, while very pretty, just gave me « do not trust/become friends with » vibes. I was always polite to her, and she was civil to me, but that was it. A new girl starts, « do not trust » girl befriends newbie. She tells newbie we can leave school during breaks to smoke, they go down the road to a hidden spot by the river and have their cigarette. They get caught and reprimanded, and « do not trust » pins all the blame on newbie!
Then, later, at uni, I met a mate’s dad at a church event. The rest of the family ( his mum and two siblings) are just delightful, really lovely, but he gives off really dodgy vibes, even though he was quite nice/funny ( though he made a « joke » about his younger son « being a pimp somewhere » when he grew up). Turns out he was repeatedly cheating on mate’s mum/his wife ( one of the people he had an affair with/tried it on with was mum’s best mate and sister) as well as being physically and verbally abusive to her. Wouldn’t pay child support ( kids may have been technically old enough to not need it, but still studying/living at home) and he had really gross stuff on his computer.
On the other hand, I am really good at finding kind, helpful people if I am lost/need help/directions.
Thanks for sharing, I was inspired as there was currently a thread on another forum about it all and it's interesting. I'm jealous as I've never really sensed a fear or danger off of someone before and am crap at judging people. Sounds like your feelings so far are very accurate!

The only thing I can say I've experienced is I was living in a house share once and this new guy moved in with us, and I felt sadness like I've never felt for someone before, like I wanted to cry for them and look after them as they were a troubled, depressed soul. I've never experienced it before or since and found it weird as he wasn't in an upset state at the time and it was the first time I ever met him. It turns out after getting to know him that he was quite troubled, had drug issues and he did try to (TW) harm himself not long after I first met him.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Thanks for sharing, I was inspired as there was currently a thread on another forum about it all and it's interesting. I'm jealous as I've never really sensed a fear or danger off of someone before and am crap at judging people. Sounds like your feelings so far are very accurate!

The only thing I can say I've experienced is I was living in a house share once and this new guy moved in with us, and I felt sadness like I've never felt for someone before, like I wanted to cry for them and look after them as they were a troubled, depressed soul. I've never experienced it before or since and found it weird as he wasn't in an upset state at the time and it was the first time I ever met him. It turns out after getting to know him that he was quite troubled, had drug issues and he did try to (TW) harm himself not long after I first met him.
Yes, my first impressions/initial instinct about people is usually correct.
I was fooled by someone who was a friend of a friend/someone whose children I babysat and tutored, so who should have been trustworthy. She was a narcissistic, delusional bully: she signed me up for a self-employment scheme that was terrible for me and great for her ( she didn’t have to pay any of the employment taxes or anything), she gave me a raise verbally then tried to claim she had “overpaid“ me, tried to get my colleagues and me to teach a class for babies even though I don’t have the appropriate diploma, someone else got asked to run a shop she wanted to open on premises ( an after-school homework and English lesson centre) which, as far as I can tell, would have been illegal, she told each one of us a different version of events re the future of the school, everything we needed for teaching was in a locked cupboard only she had the key to, she said she was moving to be closer to her children’s school, a few towns over, but moved to Dubai, she claimed she had already paid me for my expenses when I hadn’t even worked out how much she owed me…

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I can't make my own thread but I wondered if anyone here has ever felt absolute evil off of someone for no real reason before? Maybe even afterwards found out they were a dangerous person who did something bad.
I saw a family at the swimming pool, the dad got my spidey senses tingling but I brushed it off.
Later found out he murdered the wife about a week later.

• Wow
Reactions: 17
Many moons ago, i lurked on a forum which was mainly general chat and would get quite personal. The group were very close and people would meet in real life (imagine!) and support those down on their luck. One member really seemed to have had a hard time, so much tragedy and everyone rallied around to support them. Anyway, the forum fizzled out and there were numerous spin offs, this person kept consistent with their story but there was always added layers of tragedy.

i found out through one of the members that this person had different back stories on different platforms. Parents that were dead were very much alive on one of their social media pages - as an example. People had begun to grow suspicious and after some digging, they uncovered the lies. Reverse google search stuff showed that photos from their hospital bed were lifted (technology behind this is beyond me).

some people had known and supported them for years, so to find out it had been a lot of lies and they weren’t who they thought they were was really upsetting and people felt quite betrayed and angry. Also some concern - and realisation - that they had no idea who they were talking to. Lesson learned about chatting and being too friendly on line!

not exactly weird, and hardly unusual for people to lie on the internet but the extent and length of time to maintain the lies creeped me out.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Many moons ago, i lurked on a forum which was mainly general chat and would get quite personal. The group were very close and people would meet in real life (imagine!) and support those down on their luck. One member really seemed to have had a hard time, so much tragedy and everyone rallied around to support them. Anyway, the forum fizzled out and there were numerous spin offs, this person kept consistent with their story but there was always added layers of tragedy.

i found out through one of the members that this person had different back stories on different platforms. Parents that were dead were very much alive on one of their social media pages - as an example. People had begun to grow suspicious and after some digging, they uncovered the lies. Reverse google search stuff showed that photos from their hospital bed were lifted (technology behind this is beyond me).

some people had known and supported them for years, so to find out it had been a lot of lies and they weren’t who they thought they were was really upsetting and people felt quite betrayed and angry. Also some concern - and realisation - that they had no idea who they were talking to. Lesson learned about chatting and being too friendly on line!

not exactly weird, and hardly unusual for people to lie on the internet but the extent and length of time to maintain the lies creeped me out.
Sounds familiar 😂😂 @mulhollanddrive

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Many moons ago, i lurked on a forum which was mainly general chat and would get quite personal. The group were very close and people would meet in real life (imagine!) and support those down on their luck.
A similar thing happened on the Etsy forums. A soap seller. It was crazy. She was conning everyone out of money with her crazy stories and then finally got found out. It was fascinating to watch it all fall apart.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
A similar thing happened on the Etsy forums. A soap seller. It was crazy. She was conning everyone out of money with her crazy stories and then finally got found out. It was fascinating to watch it all fall apart.
it’s the effort involved! 🤯

Reactions: 3
Just the other day I was mopping the hall floor in my flip flops. When I finished I went to put the mop in the kitchen. I came back in to the hall, and there was a perfect small footprint in the middle of the hall. There was just the one, and it was too small to be mine, besides I’d had flip flops on. I may have a one legged ghost child in my house 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Just the other day I was mopping the hall floor in my flip flops. When I finished I went to put the mop in the kitchen. I came back in to the hall, and there was a perfect small footprint in the middle of the hall. There was just the one, and it was too small to be mine, besides I’d had flip flops on. I may have a one legged ghost child in my house 🤷🏼‍♀️
This has just reminded me, a few years ago I opened the front door to leave for work and there were two footprints on the door step facing towards the house. It was the middle of winter so not likely anyone would be walking around bear foot. It was early in the morning so not many people about. There were no other footprints leading up to the door either. I looked at our ring doorbell to see if anyone had approached the house and there was nothing to see

• Wow
Reactions: 19

We had this on a very small fb group for a very rare genetic condition my child has (like less than 500 people in the world rare!). One member messaged a few people telling them she'd had a baby at 25 weeks and that her older child had cancer. She lied saying both had died.

I see her post the odd time on special needs groups. No idea what the story is. But her child appears to be alive.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
We had this on a very small fb group for a very rare genetic condition my child has (like less than 500 people in the world rare!). One member messaged a few people telling them she'd had a baby at 25 weeks and that her older child had cancer. She lied saying both had died.

I see her post the odd time on special needs groups. No idea what the story is. But her child appears to be alive.
Wow, that’s awful. 😞

Reactions: 3

Something similar happened to me, I was on a small forum and sometimes we had "meets" I met this woman at one of those and it turned out we were a similar age and lived not far from each other. I was new to the area so keen for friends. We met up several times, I went in her car, house etc. But it turned out she wasn't at all who she said she was. She claimed she was recently separated the husband was fake, she claimed to be a teacher but wasn't, honestly I don't even know if the dog was hers, she used a fake name etc. Turned out she was a fairly prolific troll on both the forum I met her on and the one it had grown from.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Just thought I would bump this thread again for any newbies on tattle that might want to share their stories xx

Reactions: 15

I worked with someone who pathologically lied. To the extreme that all 4 of her children had died in awful situations. I work in care and she’s job hopped a lot and I’ve crossed paths with others who have known her. I quickly worked out between the stories that all of her children had tragically died…yet managed to find them all (they’re adults) on Facebook with very recent updates of posts and pictures etc 😶

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
On holiday as a child in the 1960s the bloke in the next caravan said he had some comics for me and I could go and collect them. He also had a gorgeous dog that all us kids loved to pet. When I told my (strapping, ex-military, heavily tattooed) dad he went stomping round and put the fear of God in him. He told the bloke that his daughter didn’t need any comics and if she did then her Dad would buy them for her, and that he was never to approach me again. I can distinctly remember my Dad saying he had a really bad feeling about this man and that I was to stay well away from him. About 18 months later my Mom was reading the paper when she saw a photo of the same man - he’d lured a little girl (who looked a lot like me) with the promise of comics and to play with his dog and he had murdered her. Makes my blood run cold to this day. He was still locked up a few years ago as I googled his name. Horrific. Thank goodness for my Dad protecting me.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
Earlier this year when the roads and footpaths were slippery and the road was on an incline, a car went out of control and hurtled towards me on the footpath. Luckily there was a grass bank at the side and so I ran up it (even though I thought it would be futile and the car might still hit me). Luckily the car was a very small one and somehow, after spinning around, it stopped, and I was up high on the grass bank and it didn't get me. The driver put his head in his hands. A lady who witnessed it said she couldn't stop thinking about me all day as I was "nearly killed". If that grass verge hadn't been there I dread to think what would have happened. I refuse to walk on that road now anytime it is in any way icy or frosty. The council should have gritted it that day as there were enough weather warnings, but they didn't.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Gosh sometimes I feel bad for driving most places at night because of pollution etc but I rarely walk alone in the dark. We should be able to! No victim blaming here. It's the fear of being outrun that gets me. I use an amazon parcel locker on a petrol forecourt near me. You can bet I drive with doors locked riiiiight up to the locker, grab my parcel and get in the car in less than 30 seconds.

The scariest thing that happened to me was some student in a packed lecture theatre shouting at me that he wanted to kill me then stormed out. The sound boomed, I was 18, of course I called the police when i got home. Lecturer just carried on, didn't ask if I was ok. Days later the faculty staff said they wish I hadnt called police as the student had only recently diagnosed mental health issues and learning difficulties, which I didnt know. He was a bit stalkery in the weeks leading up to it, got upset that me and my coursemates were sat together with no space for him. We were not friends, he just latched onto us and we 'had' to sit with him. He was very tall and broad, and I was scrawny and small, I was no match. I'll never forget my heart pouding in my chest. Police only took a statement and I chickened out of proceeding any further. The faculty then got the lad referred to mental health services which I guess is positive, and he was asked to leave us alone. I still felt intimidated going into lecture theatres. He also a mature student at least 15 years older so you can imagine how intimidating the situation was. Even to this say I get tinges of guilt for calling the police, but I was doing what most anxious 18 year old students would do, which was to do as their concerned parent asks via phone in such a situation. His words needed to be taken seriously, I did not know what he was capable of. We all graduated so i take some relief from the fact his life wasn't ruined.

Thinking back, I never said anything horrid, I was never deliberately exclusionary, he was 1 in a 200 strong cohort, that wasn't in any of my tutor groups but latched onto my friend, who to be honest was being too nice out of compassion, but it perpetuated the stalking the weeks before the incident. He made a beeline for us every time. On that day he was actually last to arrive so his reaction at our row being full was completely out of order. 10 years later and it still bothers me!
I know this post is three years later but I feel like this needs to be said: Never, ever, ever feel guilty for trusting your gut and taking steps to protect yourself. You had zero idea what he was capable of, didn't really know him, had no idea as to his mental health history, let alone if he had a history of violence. You called the police because that is what they exist for. If he had gone on to threaten or harm you or anyone else, there would be a record to show a pattern of behavior. It might help someone else. It might have been a waste of time, might not've, but that is what the police are for and you did exactly what you should have and I'm proud that you did it because at eighteen years old, many of us (myself included) would be afraid to report it for fear of reprisal or embarrassment.

And to anyone else reading this: TRUST. YOUR. GUT. Your intuition exists for a reason. If you feel unsafe, there's something causing that and you should take whatever steps you need to to protect yourself. You matter. It's better to come across as over-cautious or paranoid than it is to be assaulted, abused, or killed.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I came across this thread off the back of the Russell Brand scandal. Every who has shared is so incredibly brave.
I have my own stories. A teacher I had when I was maybe 8 or 9 who at the time I adored and thought was the best but with hindsight I believe he was dodgy. Nothing major happened I should say- a slightly inappropriate conversation which now feels like he was testing the water to see how I would react. And an occasion where he kept his hand on my thigh for a long time. At the time I felt a bit uncomfortable but also like I was a favourite of his and sort of enjoyed the attention.
As an adult there are many occasions where a men have been creepy, lecherous, entitled and pushy. Most of which I have forgotten the details of.
But one guy stands out - I went on a date with him after meeting on an online dating site. It was fine but I knew I didn’t want to see him again and it wouldn’t go anywhere, but I was polite and didn’t see the harm in staying to have a drink or two. The next day he texted and messaged incessantly asking when we could go out again, he was really intense and it cemented it for me that I definitely didn’t want to see him again. I told him as much, which he said he was fine with he didn’t want anything either but maybe it could be casual duck buddy arrangement. I said no thanks and thought that would be the end of it.

For 6 months after he messaged me almost every weekend asking when I was going to go out with him again, asking what I was up to, asking if I still lived in the same place. I initially was polite but a bit cold in my responses, not asking any questions back, giving him short abrupt answers hoping he would get the hint. He didn’t. He persisted. I then ignored him, which worked for a while but he started messaging again. I finally told him in no uncertain terms we would never go out again, he was a creep for not taking no for an answer and that it was frankly mental that he hadn’t moved on after one date we had six months ago. Of course in his eyes I was a witch!

I blocked him but he found me months later on a different dating site and messaged me there too. I ignored him. I also noticed he had made a tinder profile with a fake name which was alarming. Years later maybe 3 or 4 years I logged onto a dating site to delete my profile as I had met someone- who instantly popped up in my inbox… yup. He was asking if I was still single and still hadn’t changed my mind on going out with him. I told him to leave me alone, I was dating someone and I STILL was not interested- he came back to say he loved the thought of watching me duck another man…. Thankfully never heard from him again.

I also was raped by a guy I had a one night stand with. I was very drunk but initially I did consent to sex. Later I was almost asleep, he started touching me again and I said no and that I was too tired. He was so persistent. He was grabbing my hand putting it on his dick, putting his fingers in me. I said no several times and thought he would give up. He didn’t. I realised he just wasn’t taking no for an answer.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I came across this thread off the back of the Russell Brand scandal. Every who has shared is so incredibly brave.
I have my own stories. A teacher I had when I was maybe 8 or 9 who at the time I adored and thought was the best but with hindsight I believe he was dodgy. Nothing major happened I should say- a slightly inappropriate conversation which now feels like he was testing the water to see how I would react. And an occasion where he kept his hand on my thigh for a long time. At the time I felt a bit uncomfortable but also like I was a favourite of his and sort of enjoyed the attention.
As an adult there are many occasions where a men have been creepy, lecherous, entitled and pushy. Most of which I have forgotten the details of.
But one guy stands out - I went on a date with him after meeting on an online dating site. It was fine but I knew I didn’t want to see him again and it wouldn’t go anywhere, but I was polite and didn’t see the harm in staying to have a drink or two. The next day he texted and messaged incessantly asking when we could go out again, he was really intense and it cemented it for me that I definitely didn’t want to see him again. I told him as much, which he said he was fine with he didn’t want anything either but maybe it could be casual duck buddy arrangement. I said no thanks and thought that would be the end of it.

For 6 months after he messaged me almost every weekend asking when I was going to go out with him again, asking what I was up to, asking if I still lived in the same place. I initially was polite but a bit cold in my responses, not asking any questions back, giving him short abrupt answers hoping he would get the hint. He didn’t. He persisted. I then ignored him, which worked for a while but he started messaging again. I finally told him in no uncertain terms we would never go out again, he was a creep for not taking no for an answer and that it was frankly mental that he hadn’t moved on after one date we had six months ago. Of course in his eyes I was a witch!

I blocked him but he found me months later on a different dating site and messaged me there too. I ignored him. I also noticed he had made a tinder profile with a fake name which was alarming. Years later maybe 3 or 4 years I logged onto a dating site to delete my profile as I had met someone- who instantly popped up in my inbox… yup. He was asking if I was still single and still hadn’t changed my mind on going out with him. I told him to leave me alone, I was dating someone and I STILL was not interested- he came back to say he loved the thought of watching me duck another man…. Thankfully never heard from him again.

I also was raped by a guy I had a one night stand with. I was very drunk but initially I did consent to sex. Later I was almost asleep, he started touching me again and I said no and that I was too tired. He was so persistent. He was grabbing my hand putting it on his dick, putting his fingers in me. I said no several times and thought he would give up. He didn’t. I realised he just wasn’t taking no for an answer.
My first reaction was “are we talking about the same guy” because I once unfortunately had an encounter with a guy who fits the description of both of your stories. However sadly I realise that this is not uncommon. I’ve never spoken to anyone about it (other than to tell my friends what a creepy bastard my date was, on the date itself and the weeks following. Always stopped short of telling them the full extent.) but reading this I feel like you have literally written my experience down.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
My first reaction was “are we talking about the same guy” because I once unfortunately had an encounter with a guy who fits the description of both of your stories. However sadly I realise that this is not uncommon. I’ve never spoken to anyone about it (other than to tell my friends what a creepy bastard my date was, on the date itself and the weeks following. Always stopped short of telling them the full extent.) but reading this I feel like you have literally written my experience down.
I’m so sorry this happened to you. And I suspect you’re right- many of us will have almost identical stories. It’s terrifying.

Reactions: 6