What’s annoying you right now? #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
the fact that everyone around me is speaking in german and i am not fluent in it and my bf barely translates for me 😭 earlier we were playing jenga with his family and he kept telling me what to do and i asked him 10 times to stop it and then i told him i'm not an idiot and his dad said 'no need to fight about this', to which my bf responded 'tell that to her', not realizing that i understood them both :( just feel like an idiot and like who knows how many times they talk about me in german and he doesn't tell me or translate for me. my communication is limited - i understand a lot but don't speak it very well yet so he's my only channel of communication but puts no effort into it and then i look like an idiot/witch in front of his parents while their other ''daughter in law'' is german, all smiley and reacts to everything they say with HAHAHA

sorry, rant over
Are you trying to learn more German??

I don't know if it's a German-speaking thing, but when I was in Austria and told people I didn't speak German, they kept responding and speaking to me in German. I thought it was quite rude, I mean I'm pretty sure most Germans know a fair bit of English. In any case, efforts should be a two way street and they should meet you halfway.
A lot of Austrian’s don’t speak English; German is the first language and a large proportion of Austrian people don’t speak English or know very little English.

I don't know if it's a German-speaking thing, but when I was in Austria and told people I didn't speak German, they kept responding and speaking to me in German. I thought it was quite rude, I mean I'm pretty sure most Germans know a fair bit of English. In any case, efforts should be a two way street and they should meet you halfway.
thank you! i've always found that was a very german thing but since i'm with my bf who is german, i'm trying not to think about it that way. he speaks english with me but puts zero effort into translating for me when we're around his family, making me feel invisible, while his parents actually do try once in a while to learn something in english or in my own mother tongue so i do appreciate that! it's just very frustrating when i do fully understand something and it's about me!!

Are you trying to learn more German??

A lot of Austrian’s don’t speak English; German is the first language and a large proportion of Austrian people don’t speak English or know very little English.
you'll notice i wrote the following: ''i understand a lot but don't speak it very well YET'', so yes i'm actively learning it, which is why i understood what they were saying.
anyway, there's more to the story, we are here on vacation so it's not like i HAVE TO learn german but i would really like to because of his family. but the country that we live in is not an english speaking country nor a german speaking country, and my bf also puts zero effort into learning that one. so it's very much a one sided thing!

oh and i don't know about austrians when it comes to english, but i do know a lot about germans!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
thank you! i've always found that was a very german thing but since i'm with my bf who is german, i'm trying not to think about it that way. he speaks english with me but puts zero effort into translating for me when we're around his family, making me feel invisible, while his parents actually do try once in a while to learn something in english or in my own mother tongue so i do appreciate that! it's just very frustrating when i do fully understand something and it's about me!!

you'll notice i wrote the following: ''i understand a lot but don't speak it very well YET'', so yes i'm actively learning it, which is why i understood what they were saying.
anyway, there's more to the story, we are here on vacation so it's not like i HAVE TO learn german but i would really like to because of his family. but the country that we live in is not an english speaking country nor a german speaking country, and my bf also puts zero effort into learning that one. so it's very much a one sided thing!
Well, you kind of DO need to make the effort to learn German… if you ever want to improve the situation whenever you next see his family. You are visiting his family in their native country where they all speak their native language…. You need to learn German. They shouldn’t be expected to bend over backwards to speak English for you.

Reactions: 1
Well, you kind of DO need to make the effort to learn German… if you ever want to improve the situation whenever you next see his family. You are visiting his family in their native country where they all speak their native language…. You need to learn German. They shouldn’t be expected to bend over backwards to speak English for you.
are you serious? how many times do i have to write that i'm actively learning german right now?

i can't be instantly perfect at speaking the language. i appreciate their efforts and do not expect them to speak english AT ALL.

i expect for him to translate for me because i translate for him in MY country all the time.

do you understand now?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
are you serious? how many times do i have to write that i'm actively learning german right now?

i can't be instantly perfect at speaking the language. i appreciate their efforts and do not expect them to speak english AT ALL.

i expect for him to translate for me because i translate for him in MY country all the time.

do you understand now?

was auch immer

• Haha
Reactions: 2
the fact that everyone around me is speaking in german and i am not fluent in it and my bf barely translates for me 😭 earlier we were playing jenga with his family and he kept telling me what to do and i asked him 10 times to stop it and then i told him i'm not an idiot and his dad said 'no need to fight about this', to which my bf responded 'tell that to her', not realizing that i understood them both :( just feel like an idiot and like who knows how many times they talk about me in german and he doesn't tell me or translate for me. my communication is limited - i understand a lot but don't speak it very well yet so he's my only channel of communication but puts no effort into it and then i look like an idiot/witch in front of his parents while their other ''daughter in law'' is german, all smiley and reacts to everything they say with HAHAHA

sorry, rant over
Tell him if he doesn't start translating you'll never go there again. Also play down the amount of German you're learning so that he doesn't know you understand what he's saying about you ha.

Reactions: 3
Tell him if he doesn't start translating you'll never go there again. Also play down the amount of German you're learning so that he doesn't know you understand what he's saying about you ha.
hahaha i know i shouldn't show how much i understand, it would be a great secret skill to have 😎
he says he's sorry about it regularly, just earlier he came upstairs to apologize because he knows he totally forgets about me. but i'm realizing more and more that it's just not going to happen! so i think i need to continue learning and get to conversation level by the next time we see his family

Reactions: 1
Allergies! Living with a constant cold and eczema break outs. Not sure what else I can do anymore!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
The call I got from work during my week off 🙄 can't you just pretend I don't exist until I'm back in the office ffs

• Sad
Reactions: 7
The call I got from work during my week off 🙄 can't you just pretend I don't exist until I'm back in the office ffs
I used to have that problem in an old job. Was getting work related texts to my personal phone in a hospital bed on an acute ward once. Couldn't quite believe it

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Yes but, they don’t seem to help. My GP is also useless, thinking of going private but, heard bad reviews. So really unsure on what to do!
Which ones do you use? I was prescribed Fexfenodine a few years back and they work pretty well.

I used to have that problem in an old job. Was getting work related texts to my personal phone in a hospital bed on an acute ward once. Couldn't quite believe it
My boss once appeared at the side of my hospital bed to ask when I'd be back at work (I worked in the hospital). You should be allowed time off without being disturbed!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
Husband had a cold in the run up to Christmas, pretty sure I didn't come down with it through sheer stubbornness..I had far too much to do/buy/wrap/cook. Now all the hosting is over and I've finally relaxed its like my bodies gone 'right arms down lads, let the germs in'. So feel like rubbish on my only real chill day before back to work tomorrow 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.