What is your skin care routine?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
AM:
Fresh Soy Face Cleanser
The Ordinary Buffet Serum
The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factors + HA
Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Creme

PM:
Body Shop Camomile Cleansing Balm
Fresh Soy Face Cleanser
The Ordinary Buffet Serum
Versed Skin Soak Rich Moisture Cream
Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Cream

Will sometimes add in the Glossier Vitamin C Serum, and I wash with the Body Shop Vitamin C Microdermabrasion twice a week.

I used to use the Origins GinZing eye cream which I think I will go back to once I finish the Ole Henriksen one.

Reactions: 1
Off topic: I've used The Ordinary since its launch and it's been fascinating to see its growth, but things have definitely gone downhill in terms of how it's sold to people. It makes the users think they can be chemists with the mixing of powders with oils and serums (vit c and niacinamide powders); it's dangerous and not at all stable in terms of pH, especially when you're trusting your consumers to play chemist with strong ingredients that can cause irritation.

I like its accessibility and affordability, but young girls are hopping on the trend of using products that their skin a) doesn't require yet or b) requires easing into, and with lots of SPF that they're definitely not using. I love and use The Ordinary but I prefer the sister label NIOD.

I really love The Inkey List, Garden of Wisdom, Q&A,
Good Molecules and Versed as alternatives.
Totally agree. A girl at work a few years back got one of their salicylic acids and just piled it on & didn't wear SPF after. She ended up getting the most dreadful sunburn, she had to work from home for a few weeks it was that bad.

I also prefer NIOD. Love their voicemail masque. Smells hideous but it makes my skin feel great

Last edited:
Wow this thread is interesting! So many products I didn’t even know existed 🤣

I’ve always been lucky I have very clear skin and hardly ever get a spot. I’m late twenties and starting to get the odd fine line so have added a couple of bits into my very basic routine which is this:

Cleanse twice with micellar water
No7 vitamin C toner
Hylauronic acid serum
Vitamin C eye cream (night time only)
Day/Night cream

When removing make up I use a wipe and No7 eye make up remover then continue with the cleanser. I don’t wear a lot of make up and always use a primer.

I use a hot flannel in the shower and do a very occasional face mask. I’m not very clued up on skin care but this seems to work for me. I like the acid serum it makes my skin feel tighter.

I drink loadsss of water a minimum of 3L a day which I think is really important and helps your skin massively 😊

I keep mine simple as I suffer from spots...

Morning
wash my face with La Roche Posey Effaclar foaming gel
then Moisturise with La Roche Posey Effaclar duo.

Night
take my makeup off with 2 simple wipes
then use Garnier Micellar water to take the rest of it off
then wash my face with La Roche Posey Effaclar foaming gel
moisturise with Effaclar duo.
use Origins eye cream.
I use that too! I love it. Although in the morning I apply vitamin c serum before my moisturiser and at night I might add some azelaic acid before moisturising

Wow, I need to step up my skin care routine as I turn 30 soon and currently just use Simple for cleanser and toner, then a Body Shop moisturiser. I have combination skin so it’s tricky to find things that work well but don’t make me too dry/break out...
Not sure where to start! Does anyone know of any websites which suggest products based on skin type? I don’t really want to commit to just one brand.

Wow, I need to step up my skin care routine as I turn 30 soon and currently just use Simple for cleanser and toner, then a Body Shop moisturiser. I have combination skin so it’s tricky to find things that work well but don’t make me too dry/break out...
Not sure where to start! Does anyone know of any websites which suggest products based on skin type? I don’t really want to commit to just one brand.
I know how you feel! I bought a load of new stuff and now I’m thinking hmm maybe I need that one instead! It’s a slippery slope and you could easily end up spending too much! 🙈

I done a free skin analysis on a website called Renude. They asked me questions on skin type, problem areas etc. They ask you your budget too so only recommend products in your price range. You can send them a pic of your face and they will email you a couple of days later with a list of products they recommend and a routine to follow. I found it really good and will be buying a few things from the list when I’ve used up what I already have.

SPF is the biggest thing for me, I have used it daily since I was 18. I mean a proper SPF, not one built into a moisturiser or foundation. I wear spf 30 every day on my face, even in winter as it is still quite sunny.

My skin routine is quite basic.

Morning: wash in the shower with a micellar water gel and then apply spf.

Evening:
cleanse, serum, and moisturiser. I sometimes use Pixi glycolic acid if I feel my skin needs it.

Right now I am using a Garnier SPF which I like, I also really like Vichy's. For cleanser, I am using the No 7 hot cloth cleanser and Vichy serum and moisturiser both of which have hyaluronic acid.

I bought a few things from The Ordinary that I still have to try (cleanser, moisturiser, hyaluronic acid and the buffet serum).
Do you find the Garnier SPF goes on ok underneath make up? Is it spf50? Which other spfs do you recommend?

I posted further up but forgot to mention I also use spf and use the body shop multi defence spf 50, I've recently incorporated this into my skincare as I now suffer from melasma since my pregnancy.

I have started a treatment of hydroquinone and Tretinoin prescribed by an online dermatology place called dermatica. Thought it would be worth mentioning if anyone else has suffered the same! I'm a couple months into treatment and I'm sure I can see an improvement although still noticeable to me.

Do you find the Garnier SPF goes on ok underneath make up? Is it spf50? Which other spfs do you recommend?
Yes, it is one of the best I've used. Dries quickly, no white mask and doesn't ball up when applying makeup. The Garnier one I use right now is SPF 50, I think.

I really like Hawaiian Tropic silk hydration face SPF 30.

And Vichy ideal Soleil ultra light sunscreen in SPF 50...v expensive for the amount that you get though.

I know how you feel! I bought a load of new stuff and now I’m thinking hmm maybe I need that one instead! It’s a slippery slope and you could easily end up spending too much! 🙈

I done a free skin analysis on a website called Renude. They asked me questions on skin type, problem areas etc. They ask you your budget too so only recommend products in your price range. You can send them a pic of your face and they will email you a couple of days later with a list of products they recommend and a routine to follow. I found it really good and will be buying a few things from the list when I’ve used up what I already have.
Yes!! That’s exactly what i’m afraid of doing!
That sounds really interesting, thanks so much, i’ll have a look at it tonight!

Forgot to say I use SPF too, only a recent addition for me as I turned 30 and thought I’d best start! I’d always just used moisturiser with SPF in. I’m currently using the Glossier SPF.

Sorry it this question is a bit stupid, but by SPF do you mean sun cream? Or just a moisturiser that contains SPF? It’s something I’m really keen to begin but just want to make sure I’m understanding.

Sorry it this question is a bit stupid, but by SPF do you mean sun cream? Or just a moisturiser that contains SPF? It’s something I’m really keen to begin but just want to make sure I’m understanding.
Yes, a face specific sun cream I guess. I use a moisturiser with no SPF then a separate spf on on top before makeup.

• Heart
I wouldn't worry so much. Simple cleanser is one of the best around. Drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep.

If any of you struggle with spots/acne like I STILL do!! When will this end 🤣 I would highly recommend using an oil cleanser to remove your foundation. It’s helped my skin a lot and I don’t get many breakouts anymore. The oil breaks down your make up and removes it way more thoroughly than micellar water. My favourite is the Simple oil cleanser. It’s cheap too. You literally rub it into your make up then add water to emulsify.

Reactions: 3
If any of you struggle with spots/acne like I STILL do!! When will this end 🤣 I would highly recommend using an oil cleanser to remove your foundation. It’s helped my skin a lot and I don’t get many breakouts anymore. The oil breaks down your make up and removes it way more thoroughly than micellar water. My favourite is the Simple oil cleanser. It’s cheap too. You literally rub it into your make up then add water to emulsify.
I've used an oil cleanser from body shop, it was a gel oil one from their oils of life range, its really nice.

The only thing that cleared my spots / acne is a product called duac , it's a topical antibiotic and benzoyl peroxide. Got it on prescription from my doctor. I occasionally get the odd spot now and again but nothing like before! Altho I've started to get some on my chin which I assume is the dreaded 'mas-cne' from my face covering 😭

I use Cerave hydrating cleanser, Cerave eye cream, acnecide cream if I'm having a bad break out, and Clinique suncream spf 40.

Same cleanser in the evening and a treatment from Dermatica. They prescribed me Niacinamide, Adapalene and Clindamycin and it comes as one cream and has definitely helped my break outs and congestion! It's £20ish a month but I've edited my subscription to come every 2 months as that's how long it lasts me, so £10 a month :)

Reactions: 2
I had acne when I was in my early 20s. I never had it bad on my face though, just on my neck, shoulders and back. God it was so painful! I would get the biggest breakouts all over the back of my neck. In the end a dermatologist at the hospital prescribed me roaccutane. It’s a dangerous drug though and one of the main side effects is suicidal thoughts 😳 I was fine though and they cleared it up no problem. I’ve never suffered with breakouts since!

I had acne when I was in my early 20s. I never had it bad on my face though, just on my neck, shoulders and back. God it was so painful! I would get the biggest breakouts all over the back of my neck. In the end a dermatologist at the hospital prescribed me roaccutane. It’s a dangerous drug though and one of the main side effects is suicidal thoughts 😳 I was fine though and they cleared it up no problem. I’ve never suffered with breakouts since!
Ah that’s great! Honestly my skin isn’t severe enough for something like roaccutane so I just kind of try and keep it as good as I can! Glad that it workex for you

• Heart
I have skin that tends towards dryness but can suffer from breakouts and spots if I don't look after it properly. My routine is usally pretty close to this -

In the morning -
La Roche Posay; Toleraine cleanser
The Ordinary; Niacinamide 10% and Zinc 1%
Body Shop; Aloe sensitive day cream
If I'm going out -
SPF - Ren Clean Screen Mineral (SPF30) or Avene Mineral Fluide (SPF50)

At night -
Body Shop; Camomile cleansing butter
La Roche Posay; Toleraine cleanser
The Ordinary; Niacinamide 10% and Zinc 1%
La Roche Toleraine Eye Cream or Kiehls Avocado eye cream
Body Shop; aloe sensitive moisturiser

A couple of times a week I also do, at night, The Ordinary's Azelaic Acid Suspension.