What is your biggest regret?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Seems to be a recurring theme of uni regrets here šŸ˜‚ For a lot of people myself included, I really do think 17 is too young to make that decision tbh.

Reactions: 15
Wow, well done. That's amazing šŸ„³ā¤

I've just finished my level 5 management qualification. I didnt struggle academically. I just cant apply my self, I was like it at school and seemed to have got worse as I've got older.
I fully understand this. I didnā€™t apply myself until I found a degree subject that I was genuinely interested in, and could see a wide scope for my future. This motivated me hugely. I also think my age was a big factor. The educational choices I would have made at 17 and the informed choice I made at 37, were polar opposites.

Reactions: 4
Not having driving lessons when I was younger. I was so much more confident then. I'm almost 47 and in i couldn't even think about having lessons now. No confidence at all :(
My MIL is a very nervous driver (she had lessons in an automatic and a female instructor..) she passed her test in her late 50s after quite a few attempts
- it's never too late! šŸ™Œ

Reactions: 12
I have two:

Lying about something stupid at school and as a result fell out with all of my friends. I would love to still see/speak to them now.

Moving out on my own at the age of 17 and getting myself into debt trying to live independently.

Reactions: 4
That I was a terrible girlfriend to my little girls Daddy, resulting in us separating. I just couldnā€™t seem to get my sh*t together, keep the house tidy, cook dinner. It all fell apart. I was a terrific parent but a terrible girlfriend. Iā€™ll always regret that.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I regret not living abroad for a year or so when i was younger-maybe pre uni.
I would have benefitted from taking a year out before uni to up my ucas points to get me on the course i actually wanted to do rather than my third subject choice. I dont regret this though. I got a cheaper degree (as it went up x3 the following year for fees).

Reactions: 3
Two...

Getting into ridiculous debt and only having my 'lightbulb' moment a couple of years ago. Now in a DMP with about 5yrs to go. But an end is in (long distance) sight instead of robbing Peter to pay Paul each month.

Not travelling more when I was younger. Probably linked to the above problem realistically. I always said when I was a teen that my dream was to visit Australia (specifically Melbourne) before I was 21 (I was born there but brought up in the UK by Brit parents). I'm now 36 and still no where close to that dream. šŸ˜” In reality I didn't get on a plane till I was 22... One day....

I have two:

Lying about something stupid at school and as a result fell out with all of my friends. I would love to still see/speak to them now.

Moving out on my own at the age of 17 and getting myself into debt trying to live independently.
I moved out at 19 and always wonder why I did it. I had my own room, en suite and living area at my mums. My flat wasnt much bigger! Wish I had stayed longer to save some more money up.

Also I wish I had traveled abit pre kids. I had my first at 22. Me and my partner have said after this lock down once a year we will be going away for long weekends-week long trips with out the kids.
We always take them away at least twice a year so it's not like they will be missing out.

We have also got that chance to go to aus as a friends emergrating there so will be going for three weeks with the kids. They are really good friends and know they are more than capable to looking after the kids if we want to do something with out them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I have a similar regret too @bubbadabut I also worked in Madrid in a language role and I regret coming home. Some of my best memories made there I had the most amazing times. But things have changed and it's no longer really an option for me to go back, wish I'd stayed when I had the chance.
Aww it's an incredible city. I knew it was the place for me immediately after arriving. Never had that feeling anywhere else before or since. I would feel weird even visiting there now. I miss it so much. I was Google-mapping some of the sites and showing my kids only yesterday, but my life is so different now, husband, kids etc that I think being there wouldn't be the same as it was when I was young, free and single.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are interested in doing an allied health care degree, you are able to get funding regardless of whether you have done a degree prior. Only condition is that you haven't already done an allied health care degree (if I remember correct). This can be anything from nursing, physiotherapy, radiography etc.
Oh that's interesting. But I think those courses require A levels. I failed all of mine due to problems at home. I got into my degree course with my portfolio of artwork, it was an art course.

Not having driving lessons when I was younger. I was so much more confident then. I'm almost 47 and in i couldn't even think about having lessons now. No confidence at all :(
I passed first time at 31 in an automatic. Never felt the need to drive before as I'd always lived in places with brilliant public transport. It was having kids that was the spur. Tried learning in a manual but I was too nervous and hated the pressure of stalling at lights/roundabouts. Automatics are so easy. X

I don't regret not saving but I do wish i had spent my money on travelling in my early 20s rather than clothes and makeup.

I also regret not getting to know my husband sooner and wasting working together but not getting together for 2 years - i just think of the things we could have done and seen in that time, especially now our world has become so small for a little while.

Oh that's interesting. But I think those courses require A levels. I failed all of mine due to problems at home. I got into my degree course with my portfolio of artwork, it was an art course.
To be honest, they do require some kind of nvq/btec/a levels but they also look at what experience you have had too. There are access courses that are available which you will most likely qualify for funding for too. Don't want to come across pushy but just trying to provide options if that is something you are interested in x

I wish I'd done the usual tried harder at school, been better with money, not wasted ed time on a dick ex.
But, I wish I hadn't have had a child just because it was the 'next step' expected of me... She's 15 now and I am a truly crap mother. If I knew then what I know now I would have stayed childless..

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
*Sorry if triggering*

Having an abortion at 17. I wanted to keep the baby but didn't feel like I'd have any support from my family and my boyfriend was petrified so we didn't tell anyone and I went alone to a clinic to have a surgical abortion. It was decades ago and still haunts me to this day. I know many people have abortions and don't regret them but for me it was the worst decision I've ever made.
I can relate to this because I've been through it massively i had one at 22 regret it ever since. Not much has changed since then i still suffer from it. I still haven't had kids and im 30 next year and i really dont think i will have a chance again also regret that i should stuck with my driving lessons when i was younger to.

• Heart
I regret not going to uni when I was younger, I knew what I wanted to do but wasn't 100% sure and I had no life experience so it probably wouldn't have worked out. That being said I'm looking at going when my youngest starts school, sadly means I will be missing out on all the freshers fun šŸ˜‚

Also regret not travelling before we had kids, we met at 19 and got married at 21, then had a baby at 22. We were supposed to go on a long weekend break together but then lockdown struck šŸ˜’ I most likely would have spent 70% of the time absolutely tit faced so I like to think it was God's way of stopping me from falling pregnant whilst I was there šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Another vote for uni, I regret going when I did. I went at 18 just because it felt like the ā€œrightā€ thing to do at the time. All my teachers/friends expected me to go, even though at the time I had doubts. I wish Iā€™d listened to myself rather than everyone else! I didnā€™t have a bad time, I got a good degree, but I do feel like it was wasted & if I could go back now, Iā€™d do an entirely different degree! Now Iā€™m in probably about Ā£50k worth of uni debt šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 2
regret not being better with money, and regret not being more selfish & confident before kids!

Reactions: 2