What is your biggest regret?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wish I had made more effort with friendships while I was at school. I had a boyfriend, who was a really positive influence on me, but I neglected friendships as a result. Now, I don’t really have a solid group of girlfriends, my friends are scattered around the country from uni, living in different places. None of my close friends really know eachother.
I didn’t enjoy secondary school at all, but I think had I made more effort with my peers I would have had a more enjoyable time of it.

Also regret not trying harder with languages at school. I wish I had studied a language while at university alongside my subject.

otherwise I don’t have many other regrets. I am quite a natural risk taker. I’ve made decisions in my life that at the time friends and family thought I was crazy at the time, but I felt they were right so went ahead anyway. One of those is having my first child at a young age. I knew I would massively regret not having my baby so I found enough bravery somehow and now have an amazing 10 year old, and am married to her dad and had more children together. I’m so glad I made that choice. Just wanted to end on a positive 💓
I love all of your post and feel exactly the same. I’m now living abroad and having to learn a foreign language and wish so much I would have carried on with french when I was at college as that is one of the National languages here, (I’m learning Dutch).

Reactions: 2
@KateESJ my heart goes out to you. Xx

For me it would be not pursuing my interest in languages after leaving school. It was only years later that I continued my studies as an adult and after many years of combining work and studying, I ended up getting a job at the British Consulate in Madrid, where I had some of the best times of my life. It didn't last long as I had to come back to the UK for family reasons. I just wish I hadn't dicked about for so many years after leaving school.
I have a similar regret too @bubbadabut I also worked in Madrid in a language role and I regret coming home. Some of my best memories made there I had the most amazing times. But things have changed and it's no longer really an option for me to go back, wish I'd stayed when I had the chance.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I regret going to uni and doing the course I did.
I also regret staying with my abusive ex for so long and letting him change my personality.
Although I may not of been the person I am today if i didnt go through what I did.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Not having driving lessons when I was younger. I was so much more confident then. I'm almost 47 and in i couldn't even think about having lessons now. No confidence at all :(

• Sad
Reactions: 7
*Getting into debt
*Leaving NZ to return to U.K. when the recession hit.
*Not making better decisions where friends and exes were concerned.

Reactions: 2
Since I was 5 I have always wanted to be a Police Officer, but never ever applied as I was too scared of not getting in and my dream being over. I’m now well into my thirties and got to face the fact that I will never be one. Wish I’d have took the plunge

• Sad
*Sorry if triggering*

Having an abortion at 17. I wanted to keep the baby but didn't feel like I'd have any support from my family and my boyfriend was petrified so we didn't tell anyone and I went alone to a clinic to have a surgical abortion. It was decades ago and still haunts me to this day. I know many people have abortions and don't regret them but for me it was the worst decision I've ever made.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
Since I was 5 I have always wanted to be a Police Officer, but never ever applied as I was too scared of not getting in and my dream being over. I’m now well into my thirties and got to face the fact that I will never be one. Wish I’d have took the plunge
It’s not too late through, you’re still young. Even if you weren’t to get in, at least you tried and you won’t torment yourself for the rest of your life x

Reactions: 11
Sometimes I think about the houses I looked at years ago and didn't buy because there was something so minor wrong with them. My ex and I once looked at a beautiful original terrace in Spitalfields - it was about £25k. We didn't like the area 😂 . Wtf were we thinking?
Then moved to Ireland and dismissed a beautiful old house in Dublin that was 3 storeys and lovely. The price was equivalent to £50k. Worth millions now.
We are now separated and I'm still renting 😂
I can't even look at property programmes set in London as I feel such an idiot.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I’m so sorry Hun. What a heartbreaking read 💔
You chose what you chose under the worst circumstances imaginable.
please try not to be hard on yourself.
You son is always with you and you sound like an amazing mum.

I lost my little boy at 7 months pregnant last year. I did everything I could throughout a difficult pregnancy. I practically lived on the maternity assessment ward and was in constantly over any little issue. It was negligence by the hospital that ultimately led to his death. But I’ll always feel I didn’t do enough 💔
Thank you ♥ I'm so sorry for your loss... that's horrible. I am sure you did everything you could for your baby boy and I'm sure he felt your love and still does everyday ❤ Sending love to you.

Therapy helped me get over this, a lot. It made me realise I wouldn't have been happy either way - I didn't want to bury him because I didn't want him alone, I was so against him being in a box and buried alone down there. I would've felt exactly the same way had we done that, it's just me focusing my grief on one aspect and thinking that was why I felt so awful. In reality I just wanted him. The cremation regret wasn't the root of how I was feeling. It was just a consequence.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Wasting time on people but I loved them and it felt right at the time. Now when people are awkward I just say ok and remove myself from them/the situation and don’t let it affect me.

Reactions: 4
Ive said it once and I'll say it again No regrets they don't work they only hurt. 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Staying with my ex for so long (7 years), thus wasting most of my 20’s with that loser. We never went anywhere, basically went to work and stayed in the house and that was it. It is all working out though, I have met a new partner who likes to go out and do all the same fun stuff that I like to do 🙂 and have lost some of the weight I put on when I was with my ex. So i guess things work out in the end.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
*Sorry if triggering*

Having an abortion at 17. I wanted to keep the baby but didn't feel like I'd have any support from my family and my boyfriend was petrified so we didn't tell anyone and I went alone to a clinic to have a surgical abortion. It was decades ago and still haunts me to this day. I know many people have abortions and don't regret them but for me it was the worst decision I've ever made.
I am so sorry.
I had an abortion last year and I regretted it. It's a horrible feeling. I'm lucky that it doesn't haunt me as much anymore but to begin with it was the worst feeling ever.
Sending hugs xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Not getting my degree. But it's quite a long story so feel free to skip lol.

In the second year of uni I was bullied by my tutors, to the point where I went to the head of year to complain about their behaviour. She was their friend irl and did nothing. I stopped going in, and failed my second year. I had 6 weeks to do extra work to make up the marks. I asked slightly less cunty tutor to tell me exactly what they needed, in bullet points. I did every one of these bullet points to the letter. Work came back with a lower score then before. I couldn't face repeating the year with those awful cunts so I left, fully intending to transfer to a different uni. There happened to be one running the same course near my house. I went to speak to them and was told that I would need to repeat from year one. I couldn't get finance for another 3 years, at the time, not sure if it's still the case, student loans would only pay for 4 years of education. Starting from year one again would be 5, and I had no savings or anything. So I withdrew and dropped out completely. I wish I had stood up to those bastards but in those days I was an extremely shy person. I wish there was a way I could get a loan and go back and do another degree.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Not getting my degree. But it's quite a long story so feel free to skip lol.

In the second year of uni I was bullied by my tutors, to the point where I went to the head of year to complain about their behaviour. She was their friend irl and did nothing. I stopped going in, and failed my second year. I had 6 weeks to do extra work to make up the marks. I asked slightly less cunty tutor to tell me exactly what they needed, in bullet points. I did every one of these bullet points to the letter. Work came back with a lower score then before. I couldn't face repeating the year with those awful cunts so I left, fully intending to transfer to a different uni. There happened to be one running the same course near my house. I went to speak to them and was told that I would need to repeat from year one. I couldn't get finance for another 3 years, at the time, not sure if it's still the case, student loans would only pay for 4 years of education. Starting from year one again would be 5, and I had no savings or anything. So I withdrew and dropped out completely. I wish I had stood up to those bastards but in those days I was an extremely shy person. I wish there was a way I could get a loan and go back and do another degree.
Not sure if you are interested in doing an allied health care degree, you are able to get funding regardless of whether you have done a degree prior. Only condition is that you haven't already done an allied health care degree (if I remember correct). This can be anything from nursing, physiotherapy, radiography etc.

I wish I had gone to uni and got a job I love doing. But even to this day at nearly 30 theres nothing I really want to do.

Reactions: 14
Staying with my ex for so long (7 years), thus wasting most of my 20’s with that loser. We never went anywhere, basically went to work and stayed in the house and that was it. It is all working out though, I have met a new partner who likes to go out and do all the same fun stuff that I like to do 🙂 and have lost some of the weight I put on when I was with my ex. So i guess things work out in the end.
I’m glad you managed to move on and are happier now. Toxic relationships are the worst. That sounds a lot like what happened to me. Wasted 7 years (most of my 20s) with an alcoholic. He was never abusive, but our relationship was so toxic he dragged me down with him (not drink, but mental health wise). He never made the effort to spend time with me and chose his daft mates over me because unlike them I didn’t want every minute of my life to be about drink. He was unemployed a lot, never cleaned up after himself, just sat at home drinking or went to the pub while I was out working all hours in my very demanding care home job. I would come home from a 12 hour shift and just dread setting foot in the house because I knew I’d be spending the rest of my evening cleaning up his filth just to fall into bed and repeat for the rest of the week. I didn’t like the person I’d become when I was with him and I forgave anything because I loved him so much. The best thing I did was kick him out. I lost a lot of weight, became more adventurous without him, eventually met my now-husband and had my children who I adore. I’m just glad I never had children with him, it would have been so much harder to get away.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I wish I had gone to uni and got a job I love doing. But even to this day at nearly 30 theres nothing I really want to do.
I didn’t go to uni until I was 37. I’m graduating this year at 40. It’s never too late.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I didn’t go to uni until I was 37. I’m graduating this year at 40. It’s never too late.
Wow, well done. That's amazing 🥳❤

I've just finished my level 5 management qualification. I didnt struggle academically. I just cant apply my self, I was like it at school and seemed to have got worse as I've got older.

Reactions: 1