What do you want to rant about today? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As heartbreaking as it is, I am sick of daily reporting of dying celebs' conditions. I appreciate awareness and support is needed but do we need to be told intimate details of dying celebs' thoughts?! I have just seen a facebook post/article about Johnny Irwin being upset at the thought of his wife remarrying when he has passed. Yes, I'm sure that's heartbreaking, but I worry about the parasocial emotional investment the public get swept up with when a celeb's decline is documented and reported daily. I really feel for the guy but I am uncomfortable how much we are updated already about personal things. Same with Dame Deborah, and other celebs. I felt like awareness got overshadowed by constant updates.

I dunno, it just depresses me seeing daily updates in the news about these things.

🤔

Just my thoughts, no hate please
I know what you mean. Social media has a lot to answer for.

Reactions: 6
Can you complain to your local council about the Airbnb? Some places you need permits or like NYC it's against the law
I spoke to our Building Managers (who are fantastic) and they said unfortunately there's nothing I can do. They suggested getting some additional security measures but that's not really going to fix my concerns.

I just returned from looking at a unit in another building which is better than mine. It has no garden - just a balcony - and is four levels up on one level. It has a really nice view of the port (nice when cruise ships come in, and there's always something moving over there), and most of the residents are retirees which appeals. They also have a rule that the owners have to live there - the apartments can't be rented out or leased to anyone. There aren't as many facilities as my current complex but it's newer, and the body corporate fees are lower. I'm going to seriously think about what to do on the weekend, as the agent who sold next door has been very keen to talk.

I lived in NZ around 08. There's no culture - it's like a weird mix of British and American with the Maoris included now and then. It's nice to look at, but there's no history and it really shows once you get past the 'look how nice it looks'. The UK can match 90% if more.

The people are backward and live in their little Aus/NZ bubble. Which I get because they're out there on their own and nobody thinks about them unless a celeb comes along. I really hope it won't be seen now as the land of hopes and dreams. Stupid Brits will lose a lot of money otherwise
I've worked with two Brits who've come out here and returned within a short period because they couldn't settle. One lady was so, so lovely ... I urged her to give it time but she was terribly homesick and nothing seemed to go right for her. I'm in one of NZ's smallest cities so I think people who move here will find it a bit stifling, but would probably have a far better experience if they moved to Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch.

As well as all the other stuff I've mentioned, our health system is up the wazoo too ... it just feels like so much is broken that there's no clear path forward.

Reactions: 3
As heartbreaking as it is, I am sick of daily reporting of dying celebs' conditions. I appreciate awareness and support is needed but do we need to be told intimate details of dying celebs' thoughts?! I have just seen a facebook post/article about Johnny Irwin being upset at the thought of his wife remarrying when he has passed. Yes, I'm sure that's heartbreaking, but I worry about the parasocial emotional investment the public get swept up with when a celeb's decline is documented and reported daily. I really feel for the guy but I am uncomfortable how much we are updated already about personal things. Same with Dame Deborah, and other celebs. I felt like awareness got overshadowed by constant updates.

I dunno, it just depresses me seeing daily updates in the news about these things.

🤔

Just my thoughts, no hate please

Best thing I ever did was to stop watching TV (or the radio on) or reading the newspaper. life is much nicer without the media. I'm still informed but only with the important things not overloaded with things that do not matter to me personally. The media is there to depress and scare you.

My own mantra that is IMO 100% true

When you stop watching what they want you to watch, you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.

I have no idea who the man is you are talking about but who could be arsed when dying to give updates all the time? I would be making memories not thinking about things to guilt my partner with in the future when I'm gone.

I'm feeling so dismayed about the state of everything at the moment, in all honesty (with the exception of work, which is great).

The crime here in NZ is rampant - shop staff being stabbed (and killed), never-ending ram raids, gangs everywhere (my little holiday town is especially bad at the moment), people being run over and killed, road rage incidents, people out walking their dogs being stabbed, thieves loading supermarket trolleys with groceries and fleeing ... it's just awful. I usually walk from my workplace to my apartment, but just lately I've had a bit of an 'off' feeling about people hanging around the streets a short distance away so have been catching lifts with workmates. There's a group of men who sit out on the benches drinking and carrying on, and it feels unsafe.

The apartment next to me - we're the only two at the very end, with adjoining gardens and gates - has sold to a family who have decided to rent it out on Air BnB which I'm dreading. It was reassuring knowing who was living there (and who all my neighbours are), but now I feel like my safety net has been ripped open because there are going to be random people coming and going. I'm seriously contemplating moving.

To try and rein inflation back in, our Reserve Bank has issued a statement warning people not to spend too much over Christmas - yet months ago the government was pleading with people TO spend in order to get the economy going again ... they caused the current situation in part due to printing too much money, and are now trying to force a recession (which they've admitted to doing). Government officials will no doubt bark orders at us while they continue to enjoy a festive season with no cutbacks.

The cost of living is ridiculous. My body corporate fees - which all the apartment owners have to pay every month for the upkeep of the apartment exteriors and facilities such as pool, tennis court and communal gardens - have gone up 25% due to inflation; not surprisingly, there are several apartments in this block suddenly for sale. The cost of groceries is ridiculous - yesterday, I bought 1 x packet of wraps, a tin of salmon and a lettuce and it came to $40.

It's awful feeling so hopeless. A few people I've been talking to who are feeling the same way are getting ready to move to Australia, which I understand also has problems ... I just don't remember the world ever being in such a mess as it is now.

Sounds awful do you personally witness all these things or is it that you hear about it on the news? if it's the latter then my previous post would also be my advice ( to take or leave) to you.
I live in a tiny village near a small town and if I happen to catch the local news when in someone's car etc you would think I lived in the Bronx, 🤣

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm feeling so dismayed about the state of everything at the moment, in all honesty (with the exception of work, which is great).

The crime here in NZ is rampant - shop staff being stabbed (and killed), never-ending ram raids, gangs everywhere (my little holiday town is especially bad at the moment), people being run over and killed, road rage incidents, people out walking their dogs being stabbed, thieves loading supermarket trolleys with groceries and fleeing ... it's just awful. I usually walk from my workplace to my apartment, but just lately I've had a bit of an 'off' feeling about people hanging around the streets a short distance away so have been catching lifts with workmates. There's a group of men who sit out on the benches drinking and carrying on, and it feels unsafe.

The apartment next to me - we're the only two at the very end, with adjoining gardens and gates - has sold to a family who have decided to rent it out on Air BnB which I'm dreading. It was reassuring knowing who was living there (and who all my neighbours are), but now I feel like my safety net has been ripped open because there are going to be random people coming and going. I'm seriously contemplating moving.

To try and rein inflation back in, our Reserve Bank has issued a statement warning people not to spend too much over Christmas - yet months ago the government was pleading with people TO spend in order to get the economy going again ... they caused the current situation in part due to printing too much money, and are now trying to force a recession (which they've admitted to doing). Government officials will no doubt bark orders at us while they continue to enjoy a festive season with no cutbacks.

The cost of living is ridiculous. My body corporate fees - which all the apartment owners have to pay every month for the upkeep of the apartment exteriors and facilities such as pool, tennis court and communal gardens - have gone up 25% due to inflation; not surprisingly, there are several apartments in this block suddenly for sale. The cost of groceries is ridiculous - yesterday, I bought 1 x packet of wraps, a tin of salmon and a lettuce and it came to $40.

It's awful feeling so hopeless. A few people I've been talking to who are feeling the same way are getting ready to move to Australia, which I understand also has problems ... I just don't remember the world ever being in such a mess as it is now.
That sounds awful x
I think the world has been fed this narrative that NZ (and to some extent Aus) is some utopian paradise with their saintly prime minister (protectioning the island from covid). The lovely adverts with all the beautiful landscapes and weather.
but watching a couple of those cop programmes on one of the freeview channels paints quite a different picture..both countries have their fair share of criminals, general wronguns and idiotic drunks just like the UK! and the dracionian covid lockdowns and restrictions for you where you couldn't leave the country when the rest of the world opened up must have been hard.

I'm annoyed at myself for being in such a rush to get home last night I didn't realise I'd left my car window open and we had a torrential downpour overnight 🙃

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
That sounds awful x
I think the world has been fed this narrative that NZ (and to some extent Aus) is some utopian paradise with their saintly prime minister (protectioning the island from covid). The lovely adverts with all the beautiful landscapes and weather.
but watching a couple of those cop programmes on one of the freeview channels paints quite a different picture..both countries have their fair share of criminals, general wronguns and idiotic drunks just like the UK! and the dracionian covid lockdowns and restrictions for you where you couldn't leave the country when the rest of the world opened up must have been hard.
I have a friend who lives in Florida he moved there in the early 90s. He kept saying how he was going to move to Canada, Australia or NZ. because of the mess that is the USA. that was until covid

Reactions: 3
Probably a post for another thread, but either the word is offensive or it’s not. If it is then no one should be saying it. It shouldn’t be in songs or anywhere. You cannot claim it’s offensive then use it.
Not having a go or anything but its not as simple as that. The N word isn't and never has been an offensive word in the black community. It was turned into a racial slur by white people.
So telling black people to stop using a word that white people made offensive and derogatory just smacks of white people trying to shut black people up for something that's not their issue. Why should they be gagged or forced to have that word cancelled.
Black people don't have to march to the tune of white people anymore or be condescended by them or have words they use cancelled.

I'm white by the way but have a good understanding of the culture on a very personal level so its not my opinion I state but the view of people who tell, me when this topic arises, why they they won't be shut down by white people who hijacked their word and turned it into an insult.
Peace ✌

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Not having a go or anything but its not as simple as that. The N word isn't and never has been an offensive word in the black community. It was turned into a racial slur by white people.
So telling black people to stop using a word that white people made offensive and derogatory just smacks of white people trying to shut black people up for something that's not their issue. Why should they be gagged or forced to have that word cancelled.
Black people don't have to march to the tune of white people anymore or be condescended by them or have words they use cancelled.

I'm white by the way but have a good understanding of the culture on a very personal level so its not my opinion I state but the view of people who tell, me when this topic arises, why they they won't be shut down by white people who hijacked their word and turned it into an insult.
Peace ✌
Imo if the word isn’t being used in a derogatory way, ie just by singing along with lyrics or reading a book there should be no issue. You cannot put it out in the public domain in the likes of a song and then tell a whole race they cannot sing along because their ancestors were racists.

If it’s being used in another way then of course the sentiment stands that it is not appropriate to use at all.

Reactions: 13
I have a friend who lives in Florida he moved there in the early 90s. He kept saying how he was going to move to Canada, Australia or NZ. because of the mess that is the USA. that was until covid
The grass is always greener and all that.

I have family in America and when they first moved out there I was all 'I'd love to live here' however the more time I've spent there the more I've thought I'd wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Reactions: 6
People begging on tiktok. It's pathetic, go out and get a proper job instead of scrounging off your fans. Tbh these 'fans' are pathetic as well, what are you giving them money for??

They mustn't have the brains they were born with to pour money into the pockets of people who treat them with no respect whatsoever. Ungrateful and greedy the lot of them.

Reactions: 13
Imo if the word isn’t being used in a derogatory way, ie just by singing along with lyrics or reading a book there should be no issue. You cannot put it out in the public domain in the likes of a song and then tell a whole race they cannot sing along because their ancestors were racists.

If it’s being used in another way then of course the sentiment stands that it is not appropriate to use at all.
I'm not sure you've got the bit about white people setting the standards about telling black people what they can and can't say.

They absolutely can use their inoffensive term in a public domain and they can demand that the people who turned it into a racial slur not to use it. Black people don't have to take on white peoples opinion about it. Black people don't write music with white people in mind.

Also racism exists today, its didn't go away when the ancestors died.

Reactions: 5
Regarding the N word, I see both sides tbh. I think it massively depends on context, if a white person using it in an obviously derogatory and insulting manner, then yeah they’re just being racist. However if you’re rapping some nicki and it accidentally slips out… well clearly you weren’t actually trying to offend anyone so I don’t think you should be dragged for it.

Reactions: 10
I'm not sure you've got the bit about white people setting the standards about telling black people what they can and can't say.

They absolutely can use their inoffensive term in a public domain and they can demand that the people who turned it into a racial slur not to use it. Black people don't have to take on white peoples opinion about it. Black people don't write music with white people in mind.

But I’m the same sentence, white people are being told what they can’t say. There are plenty of derogatory terms peoples still use in today’s society and we cannot police it all.

As I said, if it’s in a song frankly I don’t see the issue if you happen to be singing along and sing it. It doesn’t make you an instant racist especially if it’s a child.

I never said racism died, all I said you cannot say all white people are racist therefore must be banned from using a word because it’s in a song or a book and in the public domain.

I am not saying people should use the word, but I think there needs to be context considered.

Reactions: 8

This is just ridiculous. If I’m singing along to a song I am not being racist I am just singing. If I walked up to a black person and called them a racist word then obviously I am being a dick. They are completely separate.

Reactions: 15
But I’m the same sentence, white people are being told what they can’t say. There are plenty of derogatory terms peoples still use in today’s society and we cannot police it all.

As I said, if it’s in a song frankly I don’t see the issue if you happen to be singing along and sing it. It doesn’t make you an instant racist especially if it’s a child.

I never said racism died, all I said you cannot say all white people are racist therefore must be banned from using a word because it’s in a song or a book and in the public domain.

I am not saying people should use the word, but I think there needs to be context considered.
Black people have lived under opression from white people. White people have never experienced mass oppression, and thats what makes it different.
The oppressed are not cancelling their word because of white peoples hurt feelings on the matter. Wasn't that the original point … if we cant use it then nor should they. We shouldn't be waffing the white finger at them after centuries of white oppression.

Also I never said all white people are racist and i dont think you are either. I hope thats not coming across, it just sometimes boils down to 'white gaze'.

I agree with you, we cannnot police it but we can listen to and respect and support the newer generations so we can move forward from the past , or at least understand the link to oppression and white people using that word.

This is just ridiculous. If I’m singing along to a song I am not being racist I am just singing. If I walked up to a black person and called them a racist word then obviously I am being a dick. They are completely separate.
Let the black person decide on what is and isn't offensive.

I'll leave it there because my view isn't a rant as such and i don't want to upset people any further

Reactions: 4
Black people have lived under opression from white people. White people have never experienced mass oppression, and thats what makes it different.
The oppressed are not cancelling their word because of white peoples hurt feelings on the matter. Wasn't that the original point … if we cant use it then nor should they. We shouldn't be waffing the white finger at them after centuries of white oppression.

Also I never said all white people are racist and i dont think you are either. I hope thats not coming across, it just sometimes boils down to 'white gaze'.

I agree with you, we cannnot police it but we can listen to and respect and support the newer generations so we can move forward from the past , or at least understand the link to oppression and white people using that word.

Let the black person decide on what is and isn't offensive.
As a white person maybe you shouldn’t dictate what you believe a black person may want.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
As i said in a previous post I was portrayimg the view of those close to me who are of that culture.
Ok I’ll go and delete half my Spotify library as I wouldn’t want to offend someone while doing my housework alone in my house

Many moons ago I got pinged here by someone for posting song lyrics an influencer had used in a TikTok to highlight her behaviour. I thought she was being inconsistent. She had made another post where she said it shouldn't be used at all but then at the same time she was using it for her bathroom makeover transformation?

Oh why did I not censor it and blank it out when I copied it? I told them if the mods thought it was too much they would remove it. I was not calling anyone it and it wasn't deleted in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.