West End Gossip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looks like the Broadway My Sons A Queer run may have been pulled today :(

I really liked it in London but it looks like tickets just wern't selling.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Conversely I saw the much heralded Plaza Suite last night and it bored the pants off me. Such a dated play and such a dull setting of it. Matthew Broderick was OK - but only OK - when it got to the silly slapstick parts but SJP was nothing special at all. Neither of them are worthy of the West End, not in this anyway.

This was raved about on Broadway and has been one of the hottest tickets here as a result, funny how tastes and opinions change across the Atlantic. I think half the audience must have been from the US as there was loads of clapping when each of them first walked on stage which we don't generally do here except maybe for the final performance of something good.

I left the theatre thinking what a shame that Sunset Blvd had to vacate the same stage for Plaza Suite to come in, what a shame I couldn't have seen Sunset three more times instead.

Reactions: 4
Conversely I saw the much heralded Plaza Suite last night and it bored the pants off me. Such a dated play and such a dull setting of it. Matthew Broderick was OK - but only OK - when it got to the silly slapstick parts but SJP was nothing special at all. Neither of them are worthy of the West End, not in this anyway.

This was raved about on Broadway and has been one of the hottest tickets here as a result, funny how tastes and opinions change across the Atlantic. I think half the audience must have been from the US as there was loads of clapping when each of them first walked on stage which we don't generally do here except maybe for the final performance of something good.

I left the theatre thinking what a shame that Sunset Blvd had to vacate the same stage for Plaza Suite to come in, what a shame I couldn't have seen Sunset three more times instead.
It wasn't actually raved about in NYC, there was a lot of criticism of the play itself. The two leads carried it though and got almost universal praise. They also benefitted from leading the post lockdown openings.
---
Looks like the Broadway My Sons A Queer run may have been pulled today :(

I really liked it in London but it looks like tickets just wern't selling.
Not a surprise, it was madness to transfer to broadway.

Reactions: 5
It was never going to work on Broadway. Apart from anything, isn’t “Queer” still considered a slur out there?

Reactions: 1
It was never going to work on Broadway. Apart from anything, isn’t “Queer” still considered a slur out there?
Personally I still hate the term and I'm in the UK, but I think its commonly used in a 'reclaimed' way in the USA too.

Reactions: 6
Yeah I know it’s still contentious over here as well, but I wasn’t sure about the US.

It wasn’t going to work, anyway. That stuff doesn’t do well on Broadway.

Yeah I know it’s still contentious over here as well, but I wasn’t sure about the US.

It wasn’t going to work, anyway. That stuff doesn’t do well on Broadway.
Yeah it was basically a niche off broadway show put on broadway charging the same price as a mega musical. Madness

Reactions: 3
May be sticking my neck out but I just don’t like Rob Madge anyway, I realise I’m probably the only person in London to admit it 😂. Happy for those that are fully on the love-in bandwagon with him but I wouldn’t rush to pay money for him. When I saw that he was part of the Palladium Panto this winter just gone my heart did sink a little, sorry 😢

didn’t like Jennifer Saunders in it either, she irritates me too.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Maybe in some circles but many of my queer friends in NYC use the term all the time so I think it depends on who is saying it and in what context.

I had been hoping to see the show later this month but always had a suspicion that it might not happen or might be a total bomb, whilst I really enjoyed it in London, I just couldn't see it having the same appeal on Broadway unless it was priced at a point that people would be willing to take a gamble. I had a link for $48 tickets after not getting one in the lottery but couldn't see anyone wanting to pay the full price for a 75-minute show when you could see Merrily or Sweeney Todd for example, for less $.

Reactions: 1
May be sticking my neck out but I just don’t like Rob Madge anyway, I realise I’m probably the only person in London to admit it 😂. Happy for those that are fully on the love-in bandwagon with him but I wouldn’t rush to pay money for him. When I saw that he was part of the Palladium Panto this winter just gone my heart did sink a little, sorry 😢

didn’t like Jennifer Saunders in it either, she irritates me too.
No I agree with you.

The show in London was papered too, I think it did amazingly well considering how niche it was, but I think a relatively small group of fans created an echo chamber making it and Rob seem more popular and known, that he actually is

I should add that even if I don’t like him much, I’m still very sad if his show has been cancelled. It’s sad for everyone involved, him, the crew, front of house, marketing folks etc.

Reactions: 9
I should add that even if I don’t like him much, I’m still very sad if his show has been cancelled. It’s sad for everyone involved, him, the crew, front of house, marketing folks etc.
Oh yeah for sure. The blame lies at the producers door

Given how far gone they were… would it not have made sense to run it for a long weekend and get some test audiences/hype? Seems like such a waste.

it’s not my favourite kind of show, but I do like robs videos of commandeering his entire family into productions as a child. What a blessed life to just be loved unconditionally. Lucky Lucky Rob. I hope it goes off broadway as so many could benefit from the takeaway of it.

Reactions: 9
I quite like Rob’s sense of humour and his videos and especially his insight into his upbringing and childhood. I also think he’s a mediocre performer with a vibrato wider than Bernadette Peters and that’s not to my personal taste 😂 Taking what had been a successful fringe type show to broadway was always going to fail, especially when I think the content is more suited to his short video format or maybe filmed as a special and screened. They were never going to sell enough tickets, especially at those prices.

Reactions: 2
Looks like it's being postponed rather than fully cancelled so am wondering if it'll head into a smaller theatre or off broadway for a shorter run next year! Either way not fully surprised with PTM

(Also just a heads up rob uses they/them pronouns!!)

And speaking of Paul, heather's back for yet another UK tour?

Reactions: 6
Postponed = cancelled. Just a way of softening the blow. No one's really expecting it to reappear, especially as this is the second time the same producer has done this in new york.

• Sad
Looks like it's being postponed rather than fully cancelled so am wondering if it'll head into a smaller theatre or off broadway for a shorter run next year! Either way not fully surprised with PTM

(Also just a heads up rob uses they/them pronouns!!)

And speaking of Paul, heather's back for yet another UK tour?
No, it will be cancelled. Postponing is just a hop skip and a jump.

I’m another who doesn’t really get the Rob hype - he seems nice enough but … 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think a lot of the success of the show came from his popularity with his insta videos and I don’t know if that translated/hit with American audiences? It’s that quite British humour and sensibility.
---
Postponed = cancelled. Just a way of softening the blow. No one's really expecting it to reappear, especially as this is the second time the same producer has done this in new york.
Beat me to it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.