West End Gossip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for setting up this thread!

Has anybody heard about the Mamma Mia cast and crew being let go? Saw some posts about it on twitter but people are confused as to whether that means the show is closing or not. It's getting really bad now. I don't know why the government isn't doing more to help.

Reactions: 2
Thanks for setting up this thread!

Has anybody heard about the Mamma Mia cast and crew being let go? Saw some posts about it on twitter but people are confused as to whether that means the show is closing or not. It's getting really bad now. I don't know why the government isn't doing more to help.
Yeah they’re with Delfont Mackintosh who made 600 redundancies last week. Interestingly, other producers haven’t made cuts as severe as Cameron Mackintosh has. They’ve kept their in house heads of departments whereas Cameron has let EVERYONE go aside from a small team kept on to help “transition” things over.

People who have worked in those theatres 20 odd years now have no jobs. It’s widely believed he’s done this because he wants to restructure departments and combine roles to save money (bad bleeping idea if you ask me, a lot of the jobs are totally separate and there’s not much of a skill overlap) and he’s done this under the cover of “sadly necessary COVID redundancies”.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
I've never liked Cameron Mackintosh and what he's done in the pandemic has just confirmed he's a nonce. He definitely made out that Phantom was closing for good then put out that statement saying it'll come back (but probably the butchered version).

I agree he's made these redundancies to restructure to save money. He seems to be the type of boss who thinks everything is easy and jobs can be combined and doesn't care about what the people with the actual knowledge are saying. He's in his mansion though so he's okay.

What do people think is going to happen because of Covid? I don't think shows will reopen this year and when the West End does come back it's going to be completely different because of all the show closures (I think there's be more closing)

Reactions: 7
Yay thank you for making the thread!

Yeah they’re with Delfont Mackintosh who made 600 redundancies last week. Interestingly, other producers haven’t made cuts as severe as Cameron Mackintosh has. They’ve kept their in house heads of departments whereas Cameron has let EVERYONE go aside from a small team kept on to help “transition” things over.

People who have worked in those theatres 20 odd years now have no jobs. It’s widely believed he’s done this because he wants to restructure departments and combine roles to save money (bad bleeping idea if you ask me, a lot of the jobs are totally separate and there’s not much of a skill overlap) and he’s done this under the cover of “sadly necessary COVID redundancies”.
Mackintosh hasn't been great throughout the whole closed period so far. Frightening the whole industry by announcing all his shows wouldn't open til next year quite early in the lockdown (true, but it was an upsetting thing to hear), laying off people, the whole Phantom closing fiasco. It will definitely be back in the smaller, cheaper format just like he did with Les Mis last year.

I don't expect to be back to a theatre until next year which is sad. Can't wait til all the distancing measures end and I can do what I enjoy again properly.

Reactions: 7
SOLT we’re trying to combine wardrobe and wigs for a while into one role and BECTU have had to fight against it saying that it’s totally unrealistic. You can’t expect one small team to be able to make and fix costumes as well as maintain lacefront wigs. They’d be looking at working 50+ hour weeks, and then in the same breath SOLT were saying they wanted to change the agreement on how overtime is paid so they wouldn’t even be paid well enough to warrant it.

I think Cam Mack has really shot himself in the foot with how he’s behaved around COVID. DMT was known to be one of the fairer bosses to work for if you were technical staff, you’d get a good wage and good training. But now a lot of people have been put right off working for them. Andrew Lloyd Webber has come out of this in a far better light and he’s known for being an utter lizard.

Reactions: 9
I feel guilty because I am thinking I want to go to see theatre again but probably not straight away once they do... but that doesn't help the financial side. I think it will be a while before they can sell out full house for shows. I really hope the government subsidizes the industry properly so that theatres can run and afford the amount of staff they need to do it properly.

Also, when they are back I bet new productions will rely even more on stunt casting to get people in the doors, which then has a knock on effect on talented up-and-comers who aren't a huge name. :(

Reactions: 6
I’ve heard from a friend that Leeds Playhouse in West Yorkshire has let go of its entire front of house team. I know it’s not West End, but it’s proof that the theatres have been completely forgotten about. The money the government mentioned for the arts hasnt actually been allocated anywhere. And it’s not much either when it comes down to it.

In other news, I’m active on the Carrie Hope Fletcher thread and was wondering what people think about ALWs Cinderella?

Reactions: 6
It's heartbreaking what's happening with the arts. We have had a number rof tickets refunded as the shows have either been cancelled (Phantom of the Opera) or theyve moved them to a time we can't go. I absolutely love the theatre and am missing it so much.

Reactions: 3
I feel guilty because I am thinking I want to go to see theatre again but probably not straight away once they do... but that doesn't help the financial side. I think it will be a while before they can sell out full house for shows. I really hope the government subsidizes the industry properly so that theatres can run and afford the amount of staff they need to do it properly.
It's terrible, especially as the entertainment industry makes billions for the UK economy, even more than sport which seems to have been prioritised instead (I hate sport but I'm not biased lol). Theatre attracts so many tourists to London which in turn supports food, retail in the area etc. It's part of what the UK is known for abroad, yet they are happy to just forget that.

Reactions: 14
I’ve heard from a friend that Leeds Playhouse in West Yorkshire has let go of its entire front of house team. I know it’s not West End, but it’s proof that the theatres have been completely forgotten about. The money the government mentioned for the arts hasnt actually been allocated anywhere. And it’s not much either when it comes down to it.

In other news, I’m active on the Carrie Hope Fletcher thread and was wondering what people think about ALWs Cinderella?
I think ALW saw how popular Heathers was and wants to make something similar with Carrie, but I think it’ll really struggle to make sales next to the old shows coming back and Frozen opening down the road. I think it’ll get some of her die hard fans in but it won’t last a year.

Reactions: 9
In Scotland the government has made funding available for the theatre sector. Problem is it's the same people getting the money all the time.

The Glasgow Pavilion has been trying to drum up some support because they've been turned down flat for funding!!!

The Pavilion is about as far away from a west end theatre as you can get. Their main trade is variety shows, pantos and Glasgow type comedy/musicals. But without the Pavilion, and other venues like them, a lot to people would never set foot in a theatre.

They receive no arts funding and have to survive on tickets sales. But of course this year there are no tickets sales!!!

Think what makes it worse is that one organisation that got the funding was the Citizens theatre. It's been shut for over a year cos it's being renovated!!! So why it needs funding is a bit of a mystery!!!

I know this is a west end theatre thread but as I said, venues like the Pavilion need to be supported or else whole sections of people will never get the opportunity to go to the theatre.

Ps - a couple of years ago, I saw the scaled down version of Les Mis in Edinburgh. Jings it was a shadow if it's former self!!! I really hope McIntosh doesn't do the same to Phantom!!!

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.