West End Gossip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Problem is some shows (especially Six) encourage filming and social media posting as part of their marketing campaign. Its very hard dictate what id and isn't ok, its a bit of a 'cake and eat it' situation

Reactions: 11
very random question!

does anyone know how old carl man is?? saw him in wicked yesterday and i am struggling to work out if he's 19 or 35!

very random question!

does anyone know how old carl man is?? saw him in wicked yesterday and i am struggling to work out if he's 19 or 35!
I'd guess towards the older part of your range for sure (he played Aladdin in the US in 2009)

Reactions: 1
Nice to see Hannah Lowther growing in confidence in the role at Six. A very rocky start but seems to have settled in now having been on a few times!

Reactions: 8
The pro shots of Kinky Boots, 42nd Street and Wind In The Willows are currently on Now TV

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The pro shots of Kinky Boots, 42nd Street and Wind In The Willows are currently on Now TV
I saw the recent UK tour of 42nd Street and while I enjoyed it overall I was a bit disappointed that the ensemble was a bit ‘scanty’ as the big tap numbers suffered because of it.

I’ve watched a few bits of the one on Now and it is so much better with a fuller dance cast. I wonder if the touring production had budget issues & that’s why the later dates were cancelled?

Oh god the second hand embarrassment and cringe is real. He is way way way too try hard that it just gives the impression of the opposite.

What is it with West end people at the moment and the awful and cringe social media posts.

Screenshot_20240107_115924_Instagram.jpg

---
FB_IMG_1704223652193.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Me and the old dear went to see the Bodyguard in Glasgow last night.

It's a good show and lassie playing Rachel has a good voice. But she canny dance for toffee.

We saw the show a fair few years ago with Alexandra Burke - it was FABULOUS. This production, like a lot of them is scaled down compared to that one.

Obviously because it's the Bodyguard and all the audience problems, security were out in force. When the stalker appears in the cabin and we all jumped out of our skins, within 2 seconds the security were telling people to be quiet. The 2 lassie next to us were laughing with fright and they were told to be quiet.

Now im the first to complain about noisy audiences and people talking but last night was actually quite intimidating and you felt you couldn't move without getting a glare from security staff.

There needs to be a balance between being respectful but also allowing people to enjoy the show.

Of course one of my solutions to audience problems would be to stop allowing people to bring alcohol into the auditorium. If you can't enjoy something without an alcoholic drink in your hand, maybe you need to question your lifestyle.

The Glasgow Pavilion didn't allow alcohol into the auditorium. Still had a problems from time to time. Since they've been taken over, it's been a free for all and you can see the difference in audience behaviour.

Sorry for the rant!!!

Reactions: 16
Me and the old dear went to see the Bodyguard in Glasgow last night.

It's a good show and lassie playing Rachel has a good voice. But she canny dance for toffee.

We saw the show a fair few years ago with Alexandra Burke - it was FABULOUS. This production, like a lot of them is scaled down compared to that one.

Obviously because it's the Bodyguard and all the audience problems, security were out in force. When the stalker appears in the cabin and we all jumped out of our skins, within 2 seconds the security were telling people to be quiet. The 2 lassie next to us were laughing with fright and they were told to be quiet.

Now im the first to complain about noisy audiences and people talking but last night was actually quite intimidating and you felt you couldn't move without getting a glare from security staff.

There needs to be a balance between being respectful but also allowing people to enjoy the show.

Of course one of my solutions to audience problems would be to stop allowing people to bring alcohol into the auditorium. If you can't enjoy something without an alcoholic drink in your hand, maybe you need to question your lifestyle.

The Glasgow Pavilion didn't allow alcohol into the auditorium. Still had a problems from time to time. Since they've been taken over, it's been a free for all and you can see the difference in audience behaviour.

Sorry for the rant!!!
I agree about the booze but more so for me it’s the snacking. Why does anyone need to stuff their face while they watch a show? But neither of these things will change when it’s such a moneyspinner for the venues.

I think a lot of people (particularly post pandemic) have lost all sense that they are seeing a live performance and are treating it like they are streaming at home or watching at the cinema. Rustling, passing packets back and forth, chatting, arriving late, getting up to pee mid act (should be a total no-no barring medical conditions and in those cases should be in an aisle seat to minimise disruption) and even getting phones out (not just bootlegging or in curtain calls, just habitual addicted checking). So much poor etiquette that has a massive impact on the people around them.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I agree about the booze but more so for me it’s the snacking. Why does anyone need to stuff their face while they watch a show? But neither of these things will change when it’s such a moneyspinner for the venues.

I think a lot of people (particularly post pandemic) have lost all sense that they are seeing a live performance and are treating it like they are streaming at home or watching at the cinema. Rustling, passing packets back and forth, chatting, arriving late, getting up to pee mid act (should be a total no-no barring medical conditions and in those cases should be in an aisle seat to minimise disruption) and even getting phones out (not just bootlegging or in curtain calls, just habitual addicted checking). So much poor etiquette that has a massive impact on the people around them.
Rustling food drives me insane. I went to see a show yesterday, in the first half (1 hr), the lady next to me ate a bag of crisps, a family bag of chocolates buttons and a bag of sweets, constant rustling 😡 Do you really need to eat that in an hr?! People on their phones is so annoying too, the screen lights are so distracting.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I went on Thursday and Friday to see the bodyguard. Alcohol is a massive problem not only does it also stink I had someone beside me drink a full wine then was up and out at the loo twice in act one and twice in act 2

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
@Scottishfalpal1 maybe it's the same woman that I got really pissed off with at Sunset Boulevard the other week who was swigging bottles of wine before the curtain went up, then decided she needed to get out halfway through the first act so we all had to stand to let her pass. She then knelt at the end of the row whispering loudly to the usher about where the toilets were and after being told she wouldn't be let back in if she left, she decided to sit back down making us all have to stand again. About 5 minutes later she decided that she did indeed need to go, so disturbed us all again and thankfully she didn't come back (and neither did her friend who went to look for her at the interval). It also annoyed me that they had taken seats that someone who really wanted to watch the show could have had, as it was pretty obvious they were only there for kudos and not to appreciate the production.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
I really hope that the non admittance of you are late or leave during the act that was seen in Sunset Boulevard becomes the norm.

If they can do it I don’t know why other shows can’t.

Reactions: 9
It's so inconsistent isn't it - I was in New York end of last year and one of my friends was delayed getting to the matinee of "Here We Are" at the Shed and she had to watch the first half on a screen outside the auditorium with other latecomers (there was only one entrance however so if they'd let her in she would have had to walk in front of the stage to get to our seats). She fully accepted it was her own fault and agreed it was the right thing for the theatre to have done. On the other hand, the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City was a complete mess with people walking in and out throughout the 90 minute show and even being shown to their seats by the ushers 20 minutes in, in the middle of a dance number. It was hugely distracting and I agree latecomers should only be seated at appropriate gaps in the performance, if at all.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.