Weird Phobias

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Suffocating or drowning, not really weird but I get funny even with watching films that include those things I feel like I can’t breathe lol
Same it's one of my worst fears. That and choking on something. Some years ago, I choked on french fries in McDonald's. It was really bad and I thought I would die. I still sometimes think about it. Imagine dying in a McDonald's 😱

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Metal straws-just no!
walking on sand bare foot- I always fear Im going to step in dog poo:eek::sick:

Badgers, beans, ketchup 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Oh also, pidgeons and escalators, i have to fully brace myself before getting on one and stand a certain way for fear gravity will pause and i will just topple over

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
This is an odd one but it freaks me out..

Those big road sweeper machines with the brushes! The brushes creep me out so much, it started at 15 ( I'm now 46 ) on the way to school and one came towards me where it was just going over the road, but it just made me feel sweaty and panicky inside.

I can't pass them nowadays, and I can recognise one just by hearing it and before seeing it start to go panicky inside.

One time I saw three doing a clean in a shopping area at a less busy time, I didn't realise I could run so fast.

I always have to run or think of a place I can get to so it don't catch up with me 😬

Other phobias I have that isn't common.

The green tops on tomatoes..it's so bad I can't touch them or pick up them with a spoon..I have to get tongs to get them at arms length.

A fork with a knife in its prongs, makes me shiver.

Cotton wool balls..not a phobia but hate the texture.

I'm claustrophobic so hate lifts for instance, not an uncommon phobia but even looking at a lift from outside where I'm ok ie say a hotel corridor, I still feel abit off just looking at the doors.

Ps..Great thread topic! ❤ x

Thought of another one, the human statues you get in some city centres. Completely freak me out. I have to walk in a huge arc to get as far away as I can to walk past in case they suddenly move

Reactions: 3
I'm writing this down as its anonymous and I don't want to offend anyone so please take it in manner it's written. It's utterly irrational and illogical.
Dwarves.
I have a vague memory of a wicked dwarf in a movie as a kid, I'm assuming this stupid fear stems from there. I wet myself in fear at a circus once getting on for teenager so not even little, kid.
In adulthood, My best pal had to warn me that there was a family of little people at her wedding I was bridesmaid at.
During the greeting line I psyched myself up and was determined I wasn't going to freak out but more importantly I didn't want to cause them any upset whatsoever.
So busy concentrating on trying to look nonchalant, polite and not bothered in the slightest.... I apparently went white as a sheet, green round the gills and started to faint. I could feel my Heart pounding out of my chest, my knees going and was seeing stars!!!!
It's the little hands and joints.
Really wish my phobia was balloons or beans 😔

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
When I was in my 20’s I was fearless. Then one day I was going through a corn field and had to climb steps to a bridge. I looked back and next thing I know it I was sore and laying on the ground. I passed out. I don’t feel afraid of heights but if I go up open stairs I have a panic attack.
I’m also so afraid of clowns that my fight or flight comes up and I just run. Nothing else matters.
All of this makes me feel like a chicken but I have no control how I react to these things. Strange. 🤔🙄

• Sad
i have this ridiculous panicked feeling when there's only 1 item in the fridge, say example one egg, i worry that it would feel lonely and isolated. Therefor i immediately either cook it or or buy more eggs. Also my lipsticks and other make up needs to be lined up as i dont want it to feel lonely.
Same with Shampoo's etc in bathroom. It gives me major anxiety. I cannot handle bellybuttons in any shape or form, cannot even touch my own.
And i just want to die if i am in bed and my husband toe touches me.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I just remembered another one.

The ends of veg, like you know when you get green/fine beans and there's that long stalky bit, or the bottom bit of a carrot 🤢

(Also spiders of course)

Clowns, the anxiety they give me is something else 😭
The dark
Swimming pool drains
Thunder and lightening
People that dress up and pose as statues in the street
Mushrooms 🤢

I also have an irrational fear of bed bugs. Got them in Budapest (luckily didn't take them home with me) but I was paranoid for months and felt itchy everywhere even when all the bites were gone . I thought I was losing my mind for a while. Every time I spotted a black crum on my bed, I panicked.... It's better now but I think I can't enjoy travelling as much anymore because I am extremly scared of getting them again. When I book hotels/hostels I thoroughly check all ratings for any mentions of bed bugs, look at photos of the room (how crammed it is, material of bed and wardrobes... and how well it can be cleaned / treated with heat / insecticide in case they had an infection.. Which I guess every place did at some point). When I arrive I check the matress first and never leave stuff on the bed / try to keep my suitcase shut. For a while I even put it in a garbage bag when not needed but don't do this anymore...

I never thought I was claustrophobic until the day I climbed the Scott Monument in Edinburgh.
I don't know what happened, but Jesus I just freaked out completely.

Going back down and a large man was coming up and wouldn't move back so I could keep going down. I ended up shouting at him to get out of my way (and I'm never like that. Usually I'm an idiot who lets people walk all over me, but that's another story)

Got to the bottom, got out and just ended up shaking and crying. I think I had some kind of panic attack.
My husband didn't know what the hell was going on.
Aw I haven’t been up there since I was a wee girl and I remember liking it.

As an adult I got my bf tickets for us to go to the Statue of Liberty Crown. Was so buzzing for it. as you climb higher and higher it becomes just a set of ladders essentially. I had to get out of there and thought I was gonna faint- ears and hearing screwed, stomach in knots, heart racing and frantic breathing. Think it was a panic attack (not sure as it’s the only experience like it)

Horrific. So I can understand completely where you came from. It’s horrid!

None of mine are weird - deep water, crowds, being below ground level, insects on me, wasps, having stuff on my hands, germs. The worst in terms of how much it affects my life is thanatophobia (fear of death) because I can use techniques to help with the others or avoid them but as I once screamed hysterically at my therapist "there's absolutely nothing I can do about that one".

Reactions: 5