Weight Loss and Healthy Living #5 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Being active is great but how many steps you do is only really important if you are basing your allowable calories on being moderately active, if you are using the sedentary TDEE -500 then you don't need to walk. However doing exercise will obviously allow you more treats and make the whole thing much more bearable. I did a 2hour walk/run this morning and apparently burned 1200 calories. The great thing for me though is I can't eat before I run as it makes me sick and I'm usually not hungry until about an hour after I finish so thats 4-5 hours of very little food. I seem to eat far less when I'm on lates and exercising much more.

Reactions: 1
Being active is great but how many steps you do is only really important if you are basing your allowable calories on being moderately active, if you are using the sedentary TDEE -500 then you don't need to walk. However doing exercise will obviously allow you more treats and make the whole thing much more bearable. I did a 2hour walk/run this morning and apparently burned 1200 calories. The great thing for me though is I can't eat before I run as it makes me sick and I'm usually not hungry until about an hour after I finish so thats 4-5 hours of very little food. I seem to eat far less when I'm on lates and exercising much more.
No one should use sedentary TDEE unless you are bedridden all day every day with a mobility issue or injury. If you’re calculating sedentary TDEE then there’s no way you would ever implement a 500 cal deficit. Most people’s sedentary TDEE -500 would take them way below their BMR which is unhealthy and dangerous.

At very least you should be using lightly active and in that case yes, you should definitely be walking to increase your NEAT. I can’t see a person who wouldn’t benefit from walking daily.

Reactions: 3
No one should use sedentary TDEE unless you are bedridden all day every day with a mobility issue or injury. If you’re calculating sedentary TDEE then there’s no way you would ever implement a 500 cal deficit. Most people’s sedentary TDEE -500 would take them way below their BMR which is unhealthy and dangerous.

At very least you should be using lightly active and in that case yes, you should definitely be walking to increase your NEAT. I can’t see a person who wouldn’t benefit from walking daily.
I think you've missed the point there. If I use moderate exercise to get my maintenance calories, I can eat over 2000 calories -500 for weight loss gives me 1500 calories however I've overestimated my activity level and have a Sedentary job with no exercise that raises my heart rate and 1500 calories is actually my maintenance allowance so I'm not going to lose any weight because even though I think I'm in a 500 calorie deficit, I'm actualy not, I'm just eating what I need.

I think you've missed the point there. If I use moderate exercise to get my maintenance calories, I can eat over 2000 calories -500 for weight loss gives me 1500 calories however I've overestimated my activity level and have a Sedentary job with no exercise that raises my heart rate and 1500 calories is actually my maintenance allowance so I'm not going to lose any weight because even though I think I'm in a 500 calorie deficit, I'm actualy not, I'm just eating what I need.
It’s not that I’ve missed the point, I don’t think I understand the point you’re making?

You said steps don’t matter if you’re on sedentary calories? I said no one should be on sedentary calories. Even if you have an office/desk job you shouldn’t use ‘sedentary’ when calculating TDEE, you would still be lightly active seeing as you get up to walk to your desk job, you’d go up and down the stairs during the day, you’d go to the kitchen to make food, you’d maybe walk the dog for 20 mins etc.

I think perhaps you have misunderstood the activity levels, exercise that raises your heart rate (PAL) makes a very small difference to your daily calorie expenditure unless you’re training for hours a day, it’s much more important to focus on NEAT which includes walking, this is why using steps to calculate your TDEE is really useful.

The example you’ve given is just an example of calculating TDEE incorrectly, if that’s genuinely the case and someone who is lightly active has calculated their TDEE using ‘moderately active’ then yes, of course they may not truly be in a deficit. Same as people who say they are ‘lightly active’ but actually they walk 10k steps a day and do zumba a couple of times a week, they should be ‘moderately active’ so can actually eat more than they are, making their weight loss journey more enjoyable and sustainable.

Ultimately for me, the point is that walking daily is beneficial to everybody, regardless of your maintenance calories or not, it will contribute to overall better health and wellbeing & can play a big part in weight loss by increasing your NEAT

Reactions: 5
I did a 20 min strength training today, and then a 5 minute core one - then I danced around the kitchen with my daughter so my watch tells me I’m on 41 mins exercise. I managed to do planks and hold them (shaking ones but still!!) that is a massive victory for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Went to Costco for the first time today .... was NOT good for my diet 🤣😅

• Haha
I aim for 10000 steps a day. Most days I do around 14000. But I’m on maternity leave so a lot easier for me to fit in a daily walk.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think I usually do about 7-8k a day. I work as admin and it’s difficult to leave my desk so that’s probably as good as I can do!!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think I usually do about 7-8k a day. I work as admin and it’s difficult to leave my desk so that’s probably as good as I can do!!
That’s about same for me! On days I’m not weight training I try and aim for 10k but go for 8k as a minimum and on days I am training I just try and hit 8k or close enough.

I’m WFH at the moment so can sometimes block out an hour for a walk each day but sometimes there’s just not a hope in hell 😂

• Heart
That’s about same for me! On days I’m not weight training I try and aim for 10k but go for 8k as a minimum and on days I am training I just try and hit 8k or close enough.

I’m WFH at the moment so can sometimes block out an hour for a walk each day but sometimes there’s just not a hope in hell 😂
I do weight training most days and HIIT the others. I can’t often leave easily because I have a preschooler. I used to walk on the treadmill but my god it got boring.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I do weight training most days and HIIT the others. I can’t often leave easily because I have a preschooler. I used to walk on the treadmill but my god it got boring.
Omg I know it’s so different haha I do like 10 mins on the treadmill and I’m like eugh ok that’s enough not today 😂 I go out for a walk outside in any weather now cos the treadmill is just not an option anymore

Reactions: 2
Omg I know it’s so different haha I do like 10 mins on the treadmill and I’m like eugh ok that’s enough not today 😂 I go out for a walk outside in any weather now cos the treadmill is just not an option anymore
I listened to podcasts for a while but I found myself counting down the seconds, it really was awful. With HIIT or strength I use apple fitness and I’m not counting down at all!

Reactions: 1
Someone bought me a box of mini cronuts so looks as though I shan't be calorie counting this week.........

Reactions: 2
Non-scale victory: 1 inch lost from my waist, the measurements had been stagnant for so long, I'm hopeful that things are moving now

• Heart
Reactions: 12
first day back at my fitness class today after i've had covid 💪
really looking forward to it

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Got so tired with lambing that I fell back into the carbs and sugar - gained 6lbs in a week. I love low-carb, but it's not terribly forgiving if you take time off it! But the last lamb is here, so time to start eating properly again as of today :)

Reactions: 8
Got so tired with lambing that I fell back into the carbs and sugar - gained 6lbs in a week. I love low-carb, but it's not terribly forgiving if you take time off it! But the last lamb is here, so time to start eating properly again as of today :)
Lambing has always sounded like such hard work! Well Done for getting through another year of it. So indulging in a bit of sugar sounds totally understandable. Good luck for the fresh start!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Had hectic weekend lots activity.
But today been stuck in the house.
Need walk the dog but looks like rain.
Have take 1 child opticians got changed and looked in mirror and realised even my arms feel huge.
Scales not budged in days think constipation issues part of it.
Moved cals up to 1800 since recalculated tddee.
Would dearly love a loss this week.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Had hectic weekend lots activity.
But today been stuck in the house.
Need walk the dog but looks like rain.
Have take 1 child opticians got changed and looked in mirror and realised even my arms feel huge.
Scales not budged in days think constipation issues part of it.
Moved cals up to 1800 since recalculated tddee.
Would dearly love a loss this week.
have you been to the docs about your constipation issues?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.