Weight Loss advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What was your relationship like with food before this?What is it that you’re struggling to eat? Is it protein? I lift weights and in all honesty (before I went vegan-long story) I sometimes would literally leave the gym and eat McDonald’s chicken nuggets. They say you can’t out train a bad diet and that is true but eating food especially protein heavy food is better than nothing. My understanding is that muscles rip when you lift weights so they need to repair themselves.

my other question is it a mental thing rather than physical? It does take awhile to see a difference when it comes to weights vs losing weight. I’m only now starting to tone my stomach to see some semblance of abs after almost 2 years of weights and only weights.
I had a PT once and he said that when people start lifting weight and gain muscle you obviously are growing, your muscles get bigger right? But if youre not yet losing fat you will feel a bit bigger but it will even out after a while. Maybe you want results too soon? Might take a little bit longer as you dont have that much to lose. Stick to it and try to enjoy the progress, youll get there!

SORRY meant to qoute the person you qouted, my bad!

Reactions: 2
I had a PT once and he said that when people start lifting weight and gain muscle you obviously are growing, your muscles get bigger right? But if youre not yet losing fat you will feel a bit bigger but it will even out after a while. Maybe you want results too soon? Might take a little bit longer as you dont have that much to lose. Stick to it and try to enjoy the progress, youll get there!

i totally agree with you, when I first started weights my thighs felt massive and it made me feel disgusting but they’ve toned up overtime and I feel a lot better about them now. Lifting weights makes your muscles feel heavier as well (aching etc) so that doesn’t help

Reactions: 3
Day 2:

Breakfast was Aldi’s version of krave with Semi skimmed milk (220 cals)

lunch was Starbucks skinny latte with no added sugar and a pack of mentos (224)

dinner: katsu chicken curry (couldn’t eat the chicken as I’m not a fan) homemade chips made with olive oil and a salad, tomato sauce (500)

Just under 1000 calories but not counting the 3 cups of tea I’ve had plus endless amounts of chewing gum, I’ll probably have some watermelon or other fruit later. I was very hungry at lunch but had limited options either boots (lowest wrap had at least530 calories) or kfc

My biggest bug bear when trying to lose weights is going on a diet, especially with WW or slimming world. As people have commented they are a business and rely on failure to get people 'back on track'. What they don't take into account is the nutritional value of the food and tend to be very carb heavy.

My piece of advice is to eat real foods (cut down on convenience foods and snacks) eat good type of fats (more filling and nutritious than other types of foods) and to avoid eating lots of white carbohydrates. When you eat carbs, it forces your body to release insulin to break the glucose down. Now insulin is actually a fat storage hormone, so when you eat carbs to excess it forces your body to store the fat instead of use it for energy, hense people putting on weight or struggling to lose weight. This is why the low carb diet tend to work well as they force your body to burn the fat that's already stored, as insulin isn't released. Low carb diets are hard to stick to long term, so I would recommend having one meal a day with no carbs and not snacking in-between meals. It's a small change but one that can have a massive difference long term 😁 and doing some form of exercise daily too, even if it's a little walk or up and down the stairs a few times! X

Reactions: 5
What was your relationship like with food before this?What is it that you’re struggling to eat? Is it protein? I lift weights and in all honesty (before I went vegan-long story) I sometimes would literally leave the gym and eat McDonald’s chicken nuggets. They say you can’t out train a bad diet and that is true but eating food especially protein heavy food is better than nothing. My understanding is that muscles rip when you lift weights so they need to repair themselves.

my other question is it a mental thing rather than physical? It does take awhile to see a difference when it comes to weights vs losing weight. I’m only now starting to tone my stomach to see some semblance of abs after almost 2 years of weights and only weights.
Thanks for your reply! I'm definitely not getting enough protein in and trying hard to get more of it (I eat meat but not a lot). It's also definitely a mental thing - I'm 'learning the ropes' when it comes to weights and have to be patient that it takes time, not a 4-week shred. I'm a bit obsessed with the scales which isn't healthy I know, and get really hung up on the numbers if I've gained a couple of pounds, but my PT said it will be up and down throughout this process.

You're right, I've been expecting results far too soon when really I'm only a month in to my training. I will persevere :)

Reactions: 1
My weight have fluctuated so much during lockdown. I was either in a really good as exercising and eating nourishing foods or I was binging (horrific binger here!) and piling it on. I lost 5st two years ago by calorie deficit, gym three times a week (30min visits as I would of got bored) and a hour walk everyday with a good podcast. Doing exactly that again and I’m down nearly a stone in three weeks. I’ve developed a head cold this week so I just want all the carbs on earth the last two days but I’m not being too hard on myself and doing what I can.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I also want to lose weight I want to start with 10 pounds and see how that goes. Been tracking my food in an app and just eating normal healthy foods. No diets, sick of them and they dont work and dont teach me anything about food. Ive been making a week list for dinner and ordering my food online so I dont have to go to the shops for now.

I just try to do breakfast, fruit, lunch, a snack, dinner and a snack if im hungry.

The gyms here are opening up and I did go once but COVID is getting worse right now so im fearing they will close them again. Does anyone have good workouts for at home and is working out just as effective as going to the gym? I have some weights and a stationary bike. I dont like running.

Carbs are not the enemy and will not stop you losing weight I’m sorry I’m just a bit fed of up of this mentality. You don’t need to track macros just be in a calorie deficit. I lost 6 stone a few years ago eating carbs, treats, good food alongside the obvious healthier options and fruit/veg. You can eat what you want just be in a calorie deficit.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I also want to lose weight I want to start with 10 pounds and see how that goes. Been tracking my food in an app and just eating normal healthy foods. No diets, sick of them and they dont work and dont teach me anything about food. Ive been making a week list for dinner and ordering my food online so I dont have to go to the shops for now.

I just try to do breakfast, fruit, lunch, a snack, dinner and a snack if im hungry.

The gyms here are opening up and I did go once but COVID is getting worse right now so im fearing they will close them again. Does anyone have good workouts for at home and is working out just as effective as going to the gym? I have some weights and a stationary bike. I dont like running.
Ive been using the Kayla Itsines Sweat app for about 6 weeks now and I’m really glad I started. You get a week free trial and then it’s £14.99 a month or there are other options for 3 6 9 and 12 months. I was always really skeptical of it but there are so many plans on there now and if you are into lifting weights there are a couple of plans for lifting at home which you will need some weights for but none of the big machines that they have in the gym. I didn’t really feel comfortable going back to the gym and worried they would close again anyway so I cancelled my membership and am actually much more enjoying using the Sweat app at the moment.

Ive been using the Kayla Itsines Sweat app for about 6 weeks now and I’m really glad I started. You get a week free trial and then it’s £14.99 a month or there are other options for 3 6 9 and 12 months. I was always really skeptical of it but there are so many plans on there now and if you are into lifting weights there are a couple of plans for lifting at home which you will need some weights for but none of the big machines that they have in the gym. I didn’t really feel comfortable going back to the gym and worried they would close again anyway so I cancelled my membership and am actually much more enjoying using the Sweat app at the moment.
Sounds good, I’ll look into it thanks!

I want to lose 2 stone for my wedding but I struggle working out a decent calorie deficit - 1200 cals seems really low and I struggle to stick to it, but 1400-1600 it seems the losses are painfully slow. Any advice?

I want to lose 2 stone for my wedding but I struggle working out a decent calorie deficit - 1200 cals seems really low and I struggle to stick to it, but 1400-1600 it seems the losses are painfully slow. Any advice?
you’ve just got to stick at it, the more drastic the deficit, the less likely you are to stick to it and the more likely you are to just pile it back on. weight loss isn’t a quick process

Reactions: 2
What I do is I dont do a set amount a day, so I dont say oh only 1200 a day. Ill just go between 1200-1500..Keeps it a bit more fun and you can compensate if you had a little more the day before.

What I do is I dont do a set amount a day, so I dont say oh only 1200 a day. Ill just go between 1200-1500..Keeps it a bit more fun and you can compensate if you had a little more the day before.
How are your losses doing this? I don’t mind 1-1.5lbs a week but find 0.5 demotivating

How are your losses doing this? I don’t mind 1-1.5lbs a week but find 0.5 demotivating
About 0.5-1 but I dont have a set time I need or want to lose if for so mabye that makes it easier for me? Do you track in an app?
Look for an app that also tracks your nutritional intake so you know you're eating healthy foods and not just looking at calories.

Try adding up your daily calories to weekly allowance i have either 1200 or 1500 x7 (really depends if i know im gonna be active or not) Then i chip away at that big number all week. That way if you do mess up have something over your daily allowance i try and have a 100 less calories a day to make up for it. This really helps.

so a deficit is different for everyone depending on current weight height and age!! To find your maintenance calories (calories needed to maintain Current weight) google TDEE calculator. From that number you create a deficit! A deficit of 500 calories per day over a week will give roughly 1lb fat loss.
Don’t just pick any old number of calories use the tdee to create a suitable deficit to you! Hope that helps

so a deficit is different for everyone depending on current weight height and age!! To find your maintenance calories (calories needed to maintain Current weight) google TDEE calculator. From that number you create a deficit! A deficit of 500 calories per day over a week will give roughly 1lb fat loss.
Don’t just pick any old number of calories use the tdee to create a suitable deficit to you! Hope that helps
Never heard of it, seems really helpful! I love how everyone is offering advice here because losing weight is so hard

Never heard of it, seems really helpful! I love how everyone is offering advice here because losing weight is so hard
Your tdee is basically the amount of calories your body burns daily just being alive and moving around in general. It’s just in simple terms your calories needed to maintain your weight now. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. No matter what diets people are on (keto, SW etc) they are only losing that weight because they are in a deficit whether they realise it or not. Weightloss is simple science but I think the abundance of different “diets” makes it seem a lot more complicated than it is. I wish you luck with your weightloss im currently trying to shift a stone so I know how you feel!

Reactions: 3