Weight Loss advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for setting it up. I’m an ex slimming worlder who is stone heavier than when I joined 3/4 years ago. It made my binging worse.

I’m now calorie counting on nutracheck with about 1600 calories a day. I’m only a few days in and it’s going well so far. I need to get some exercise back in my life, pre lockdown I was a gym goer 3/4 times a week but home workouts are just not me.

I am struggling a bit as I feel guilty I could have lost so much in the last 3 months, I guess I should be great full I’ve maintained but it’s really playing on my mind.

I want to lose 3-3-5 stone and be a size 10/12.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I put on a bit of weight in lockdown, nothing crazy but I want to lose about a stone. In the last ten says I’ve done 20k steps a day, drank 2 litres of water each day and stuck to 1200 calories (ish) nothing drastic but I’ve lost 4lbs and find myself getting full from the water. I’ve also stopped eating after 7pm at night. I know this isn’t for everyone but I found I was just getting lazy and into bad habits, cheese toastie at 11pm or eating all my meals in front of the tv

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Thank you for creating this thread ❤

Followed sw for years, lost a fair bit of weight. Have switched to cal counting to try get rid of the unhealthy habits sw gave me - portion control and binge eating being two
Also I suppose issues with restricting, I know I wasn't the only one in my group that wouldn't eat all day before the 7pm weigh in, then would absolutely gorge myself on a mountain of tit food.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I was with sw for about a year and I've not been a member for about 3 years now and still have disordered behaviour around food. Joining was the worst thing I ever did. I'm now stuck in a binge and restrict cycle and the heaviest I've ever been.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Just out of curiosity because I have never tried slimming world, would you mind sharing how it can trigger eating disorders or bad eating habits?

Reactions: 1
Just out of curiosity because I have never tried slimming world, would you mind sharing how it can trigger eating disorders or bad eating habits?
Because you restrict food such as chocolate and crisps as it’s named “syns” you get 15 syns a day.. a packet of crisps is like 5 and chocolate bar 10 so that’s it then you need to plan the rest and go “syn feee” it’s really hard so then results in you being really restricted

I did it for 1 year and was so messed up. I wouldn’t allow myself a smoothie as it had syn value or an avocado.. the guilt was unreal.
I then found myself binging on chocolate etc

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Thanks for setting it up. I’m an ex slimming worlder who is stone heavier than when I joined 3/4 years ago. It made my binging worse.

I’m now calorie counting on nutracheck with about 1600 calories a day. I’m only a few days in and it’s going well so far. I need to get some exercise back in my life, pre lockdown I was a gym goer 3/4 times a week but home workouts are just not me.

I am struggling a bit as I feel guilty I could have lost so much in the last 3 months, I guess I should be great full I’ve maintained but it’s really playing on my mind.

I want to lose 3-3-5 stone and be a size 10/12.
I’d lost half a stone before lockdown with SW and I only wanted to lose 1 stone overall but I have no idea how much I’ve put back on over lockdown. I’ve tried home workouts, but just can’t get my head into it. I need to be at the gym in a class where I push myself.
Also, because I said I wanted to pause my SW membership over lockdown because I didn’t want to do zoom meetings or weigh myself at home, I can no longer get on the app, so having to google syn values 🙄 I’m trying to (loosely) still follow SW until we get back to normal meetings.

I know this is a SW thread but I had similar experiences with WW. Yes I lost 3 stone but the weird views of food because of the points system became too much. I could have a bacon and black pudding sandwich for less points that say beans on wholemeal toast. That to me just doesn't add up right! There's probably a better example out there but that's all I can think of right now.

Soooooo glad this thread is here. Thank you for creating it. 😊❤

I just have to say, I've been using Nutracheck for two days now and I LOVE IT! To be able to have cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch!! I was so stuck in the "one or the other" rut. I'd rather have a sandwich packed with protein and salad than a mountain of pasta in bland sauce. 🤢 Mug Shots are the devil.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm an ex Slimming World user but now as I'm older I just cannot get my head around the method.

Eating as much pasta as one wants, eating 8 dairylea cheese triangles, having 5 bags of cheesy wotsits - all because it's "allowed" but couldn't have nuts or smoothies or avocado. Don't even get me started on how you can't have smoothies because blended fruit is synned but normal fresh fruit isn't - what a bleeping farce. I did lose weight but as soon as I stopped I gained it all again. It's not a normal way of life. I've had so many arguments with my Sister-in-laws over it because they see it as a good way of losing weight but they cannot see how they've not managed to maintain the weight loss. It's just absurd.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Slimming World 100% gave me a distorted view of food and eating and unfortunately it developed into a binge eating disorder. I did lose 2 stone but have regained most again. The principles of SW were fine, eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, lean protein etc however it made me develop such an unhealthy relationship with food. I used to resent SlimmingWorld and thus would binge. As others have said, I can have a packet of crisps for fewer syns than a fruit smoothie?? I can have a mugshot or chocolate bar for fewer syns than avocado on whole meal toast?? I absolutely hated the meetings too...so cliquey. Trying to share how your week went while other ladies sitting in the corner whispered, talked and giggled over what everyone was trying to share, then take up about 20 minutes of the meeting for themselves. Rant over. So, so, so glad I’ve left it now. General healthy diet and regular exercise is working for me, I’m enjoying the avo on toast again!!

• Heart
  • Sad
Hi this is my first time posting and I hope I’m doing it right 😊 I lost nearly 4 stone and felt amazing but I’ve put 3 of it back on... I’m still trying but I just can’t seem to get past binging... which I didn’t do before ... I’m on day 2 of being back on plan but I’ve had a million day 2’s in the last year... I constantly beat myself up about putting the weight back on which makes a viscous circle... I’ve tried other ways but it’s really strange it’s almost like sw it totally engraved on my brain and I struggle to follow other plans without comparing it to slimming world... I’ve actually come of Instagram recently as the big accounts I was following really didn’t help... I’m a working single mum of 3 on a budget...I can’t relate to people who have every slimming world fad and things as I just can’t justify it in my budget... also I’m finding a lot of them are also beauty and makeup accounts which is so not me 😊 I’m just a normal mum trying to fit back in her skinny jeans 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm really glad to know I'm not alone but it's horrific how many people have ended up with binging issues as a result of sw.

Reactions: 9
I’ve yo-yo’d with SW for years. Would always lose around a stone and then fall off the wagon and put the weight on and more.

2 years ago I lost 3 stone in a pretty short space of time (4 months) but then I moved house and couldn’t get back into it and ending up putting on 5 🤦🏽‍♀️

Because of my weight I find it really hard to exercise, even a short 5-10 minute walk gives me searing pain in my lower back, but once I’ve lost around a stone that pain eases and I’m able to enjoy slow paced walks.

I would love to be able to afford a PT who could ease me in gently to exercise and provide me with a meal plan, but they are just so expensive.

I’m 30 in August and really want to try and get my weight down before I develop serious health issues.

Reactions: 2
I just want to chime is as a recovering anorexic. When I was recovering they spoke to us about things like slimming world etc and the lady doing it said that the plan is for you to lose weight quickly and put the weight back on because they make money that way. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it, you lose weight so you know it works but the lifestyle isn't sustainable so you put it back on and then you go back to slimming world/ww etc cause you know it worked before.

She also said that they don't account for healthy fats etc. wholemeal toast and avocado etc is too many syns (not 100% sure of the details as I've never done it) but those are healthy foods. "Empty" calories (or less valuable foods which what they like to use with anorexic patients were I was) like kit kats or mugshots are allowed but they don't have near enough nutritional value like beans or avocado would.

I hope that helps a bit!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’ve yo-yo’d with SW for years. Would always lose around a stone and then fall off the wagon and put the weight on and more.

2 years ago I lost 3 stone in a pretty short space of time (4 months) but then I moved house and couldn’t get back into it and ending up putting on 5 🤦🏽‍♀️

Because of my weight I find it really hard to exercise, even a short 5-10 minute walk gives me searing pain in my lower back, but once I’ve lost around a stone that pain eases and I’m able to enjoy slow paced walks.

I would love to be able to afford a PT who could ease me in gently to exercise and provide me with a meal plan, but they are just so expensive.

I’m 30 in August and really want to try and get my weight down before I develop serious health issues.
I’ve seen on YouTube they do chair cardio workouts, which might be helpful for easing into exercise gently if it’s not easy at the moment.

Reactions: 2
I just want to chime is as a recovering anorexic. When I was recovering they spoke to us about things like slimming world etc and the lady doing it said that the plan is for you to lose weight quickly and put the weight back on because they make money that way. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it, you lose weight so you know it works but the lifestyle isn't sustainable so you put it back on and then you go back to slimming world/ww etc cause you know it worked before.

She also said that they don't account for healthy fats etc. wholemeal toast and avocado etc is too many syns (not 100% sure of the details as I've never done it) but those are healthy foods. "Empty" calories (or less valuable foods which what they like to use with anorexic patients were I was) like kit kats or mugshots are allowed but they don't have near enough nutritional value like beans or avocado would.

I hope that helps a bit!
Wow well done for overcoming your anarxia... that makes perfect sense it’s a business after all 😒