Weight Loss advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone ever tried Slimfast?
Thing is with weight loss shakes, they work for the short term but they're not part of a sustainable long term diet. You'll most likely gain the weight back when you stop the shakes.

Reactions: 2
Thing is with weight loss shakes, they work for the short term but they're not part of a sustainable long term diet. You'll most likely gain the weight back when you stop the shakes.
Totally agree. It’s maybe ok if you’re not already overweight but just want to drop a lb or two for a party but for the long term it’s a road to nowhere. Better to spend 6-12 months losing weight slowly and sustainably then keeping it off than spend that time on and off crash diets losing and gaining the same half a stone.

Totally agree. It’s maybe ok if you’re not already overweight but just want to drop a lb or two for a party but for the long term it’s a road to nowhere. Better to spend 6-12 months losing weight slowly and sustainably then keeping it off than spend that time on and off crash diets losing and gaining the same half a stone.
Exactly! I always have to remind myself that losing weight isn't a quick process. It doesn't take a month to gain all the weight so don't expect to lose it in half the time. I speak for myself but I haven't found losing weight to be fast and sometimes that's a tough pill to swallow but I'm fine to accept that now!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The book ”I can make you thin” by Paul McKenna changed my approach and has served me better than any diet. I had tried everything over the years- Slimfast, Forever Living cleanses, Weight Watchers, soup diets, Special K diet, intermittant fasting, low carb. If it’s been a trend in the last 20 yrs you can bet your life I’d tried it. I was a diet junkie- always very good at losing weight, but just as good at putting it back on.

I was recommended the book by someone who had lost weight and kept it off, but I was really sceptical and purchased it thinking well it’s a way of putting off going back to Slimming World for a week or two while I read it!

It’s not brilliantly written (felt a little patronising at times- I’m probably a bit of a literary snob though!) but honestly.....from someone who has no vested interest in flogging you the book (and was kinda laughing at myself even reading it, like ‘Fucks sake, I’m educated, why am I reading this drivel.”) it’s the best £10 I’ve spent on myself in years. I read the book twice, listened to the accompanying CD, did the exercises, used the techniques he gives you, and I lost 3 stone over 2 years ago and have never looked back.

The essence of the book is to eat whatever you like, when you like. You can only eat food that you absolutely love (yep cake for breakfast is fine if that’s what you want), only ever when you’re hungry, really savour it, and stop when you’re full. Sounds easy right? It taught me so much about why I overeat eat, and that I probably hadn’t felt genuine hunger in about 20 years (🤪).It’s also given me a freedom around food that I never thought I could have- nothing is off limits.

It was emotional and difficult at times. One of the exercises asks you to put a post it note on your most visited kitchen cupboard that reads ‘What do you really need.?” and that got me for a while....made me tearful a few times. I realised that I genuinely used to eat because I was sad, or bored, or unfulfilled, or stressed, and what I needed was friendship, or a bleeping break from my kids, or a hug, you know? There ain’t enuf biscuits in the world to sort that tit out, and until you fix those root causes, you will always turn to food!

Honestly, I’ve recommended it to so many people- Paul should send me a bloody royalty cheque or summat 😆

Read the Amazon reviews. Brill!
Good luck xxx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I've tried slim fast, ww and slimming world. The most success I had was slimming world. I lost all the weigh in 12 weeks and wasn't hungry. The main issue with all of these diets / eating plans is the maintenance and the bad habits creeping back in. The only way I have found I can maintain the loss is calorie counting. It has been the best thing for me personally because if I want to eat something calorific I can do some moderate exercise (normally walking) to offset the calories. It means I don't miss out on treats like I did in the past. If you havent already tried this please do consider it. Lots of great apps out there. I've reached the point where I no longer use the app as I just count along in my head.

Reactions: 3
The thing is with slim fast and stuff you may aswell just buy a bottle of yazoo its the same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
A bit late to this but have read with interest. I lost 5 stone 5 years ago with sw, I’ve put 2 back on, that’s not the problem...no matter what I eat I can’t gain more or loose any. The 2 stone went on quite slowly and just stopped. I went back on slimming world a few months ago but didn’t loose anything, thought it was the unlimited food so I started calorie counting, I’m in deficit by about 800 - 1000 each day but nothings shifting! I walk about 3/4 miles a day with my dogs, I do half an hour of yoga every morning and the odd circuit session in the house. Any ideas please?

A bit late to this but have read with interest. I lost 5 stone 5 years ago with sw, I’ve put 2 back on, that’s not the problem...no matter what I eat I can’t gain more or loose any. The 2 stone went on quite slowly and just stopped. I went back on slimming world a few months ago but didn’t loose anything, thought it was the unlimited food so I started calorie counting, I’m in deficit by about 800 - 1000 each day but nothings shifting! I walk about 3/4 miles a day with my dogs, I do half an hour of yoga every morning and the odd circuit session in the house. Any ideas please?
I wonder if gearing your diet to more high protein and doing some cardio working out getting the heart rate up a bit? Hopefully we might have someone on here with some experience / knowledge on here. Interestingly my colleague just did keto and was mega successful with it.

How old are you? If you are over 40 I think its harder to lose weight especially with the menopause etc looming. Have you tried eating more protein and veg? Sounds like you may not be eating enough and your body might be hanging onto everything.

The book ”I can make you thin” by Paul McKenna changed my approach and has served me better than any diet. I had tried everything over the years- Slimfast, Forever Living cleanses, Weight Watchers, soup diets, Special K diet, intermittant fasting, low carb. If it’s been a trend in the last 20 yrs you can bet your life I’d tried it. I was a diet junkie- always very good at losing weight, but just as good at putting it back on.

I was recommended the book by someone who had lost weight and kept it off, but I was really sceptical and purchased it thinking well it’s a way of putting off going back to Slimming World for a week or two while I read it!

It’s not brilliantly written (felt a little patronising at times- I’m probably a bit of a literary snob though!) but honestly.....from someone who has no vested interest in flogging you the book (and was kinda laughing at myself even reading it, like ‘Fucks sake, I’m educated, why am I reading this drivel.”) it’s the best £10 I’ve spent on myself in years. I read the book twice, listened to the accompanying CD, did the exercises, used the techniques he gives you, and I lost 3 stone over 2 years ago and have never looked back.

The essence of the book is to eat whatever you like, when you like. You can only eat food that you absolutely love (yep cake for breakfast is fine if that’s what you want), only ever when you’re hungry, really savour it, and stop when you’re full. Sounds easy right? It taught me so much about why I overeat eat, and that I probably hadn’t felt genuine hunger in about 20 years (🤪).It’s also given me a freedom around food that I never thought I could have- nothing is off limits.

It was emotional and difficult at times. One of the exercises asks you to put a post it note on your most visited kitchen cupboard that reads ‘What do you really need.?” and that got me for a while....made me tearful a few times. I realised that I genuinely used to eat because I was sad, or bored, or unfulfilled, or stressed, and what I needed was friendship, or a bleeping break from my kids, or a hug, you know? There ain’t enuf biscuits in the world to sort that tit out, and until you fix those root causes, you will always turn to food!

Honestly, I’ve recommended it to so many people- Paul should send me a bloody royalty cheque or summat 😆

Read the Amazon reviews. Brill!
Good luck xxx
I'm sold! Thank you x

• Heart
I wonder if gearing your diet to more high protein and doing some cardio working out getting the heart rate up a bit? Hopefully we might have someone on here with some experience / knowledge on here. Interestingly my colleague just did keto and was mega successful with it.
I try and incorporated protein into each meal, I’m not snacking because I’m not hungry, I’ll defo try some cardio though, ill try anything to try and get it moving!

How old are you? If you are over 40 I think its harder to lose weight especially with the menopause etc looming. Have you tried eating more protein and veg? Sounds like you may not be eating enough and your body might be hanging onto everything.
I’m 37, on depo so won’t know when menopause is rearing it’s ugly head 😂 what I find strange is that no matter what I eat I don’t put any on either, I binged on Doritos, pizza, chocolate etc during lockdown yet put nothing on, then when I ditch the crap and eat healthy it doesn’t shift either!

Reactions: 1
I’m 37, on depo so won’t know when menopause is rearing it’s ugly head 😂 what I find strange is that no matter what I eat I don’t put any on either, I binged on Doritos, pizza, chocolate etc during lockdown yet put nothing on, then when I ditch the crap and eat healthy it doesn’t shift either!
I went on Depo (the contraception yes?) in my early twenties and put on loads. Worth investigating it as a reason if you’ve only gone it in the last 12 months or so. Contraception can be a minefield with side effects.

I went on Depo (the contraception yes?) in my early twenties and put on loads. Worth investigating it as a reason if you’ve only gone it in the last 12 months or so. Contraception can be a minefield with side effects.
I’ve been on it 12 years, so lost the weight while on it. Thank you for throwing ideas at me, we’re bound to find the answer between us all 🥰

I’m not doing well with my weightloss. Haven’t lost in about three weeks because I’m eating at maintenance most of the time. I’m so stressed and can’t seem to stick to a deficit. So frustrating as I lost a lot last year but put back on a stone 🙄

If you’re definitely in a deficit and not losing its possible you’re not eating enough. I know it sounds silly but eating too little can slow your metabolism and make it harder for you

Reactions: 1
Used to be an almost obese child, lost 50? 40? pounds and have kept the weight off ever since without exercise and now I'm focusing on imputing that into my life to be healthier, and also hopefully lose that small belly pouch skinny fat people have. I don't count calories or restrict myself, it's really all about balance, and appreciating/having a taste for good healthy food the majority of the time.

Has anyone tried team RH?? I am so desperate to loose weight now - it’s really getting me down but I have 0 will power