Wavy / curly hair products, styling tips etc! 🌀

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m starting to think I might have slightly wavy hair. It looks 2a-ish when I get out of the shower but if I just leave it to air dry it goes straight again with some waves underneath and annoying flicks on top. My current routine is to brush it when wet, scrunch some water out with my head upside down with hands then microfibre towel, scrunch in some leave in conditioner and sea salt spray (I don’t want to buy any sort of wave cream type product unless I find some vague success with what I already have), then plop it in the towel. Unfortunately it takes hours to dry in the towel which is no good when I wash it before work. I dried it overnight last night and it’s come out a bit stringy looking with some random straight bits in the middle of the strands and flicks. Has anyone got any tips?
You really need products to define and maintain your curls. There are so many tricks and products. We are a curly family but our children's hair reacts differently to products that suit my hair. It's a minefield :)

Follow people on social media who have your hair type, I found that helpful. I really like Shosh @welshiecurlgirl on IG.

I've 2C curls and this is what I do:

Wash (regularly use a clarifying shampoo to remove build up)
Condition
- Leave in conditioner optional. I use Giovanni leave in. Don't use a heavy leave in if you do. I once read that the lighter the product, the better it is for type 2 curls. A thick, heavy cream isn't for us.
- Lightweight mousse optional but I personally love it and find my curls much more defined.
- Brush.
- Gently remove excess water with towel of choice.
- Gel. I love Aunt Jackie's and Umberto Gianni gel.

I like Giovanni and Umberto Gianni shampoo and conditioners but the Giovanni gel everyone seems to rave about doesn't agree with my hair and leaves it looking a mess.

I have long and thick hair so air drying isn't an option. Removing excess water and then diffusing speeds up the process. If I left it soaking wet, then diffusing it takes 45+ minutes and it still isn't nearly dry.

Reactions: 2
You really need products to define and maintain your curls. There are so many tricks and products. We are a curly family but our children's hair reacts differently to products that suit my hair. It's a minefield :)

Follow people on social media who have your hair type, I found that helpful. I really like Shosh @welshiecurlgirl on IG.

I've 2C curls and this is what I do:

Wash (regularly use a clarifying shampoo to remove build up)
Condition
- Leave in conditioner optional. I use Giovanni leave in. Don't use a heavy leave in if you do. I once read that the lighter the product, the better it is for type 2 curls. A thick, heavy cream isn't for us.
- Lightweight mousse optional but I personally love it and find my curls much more defined.
- Brush.
- Gently remove excess water with towel of choice.
- Gel. I love Aunt Jackie's and Umberto Gianni gel.

I like Giovanni and Umberto Gianni shampoo and conditioners but the Giovanni gel everyone seems to rave about doesn't agree with my hair and leaves it looking a mess.

I have long and thick hair so air drying isn't an option. Removing excess water and then diffusing speeds up the process. If I left it soaking wet, then diffusing it takes 45+ minutes and it still isn't nearly dry.
What clarifying shampoo do you use? Is it just a regular shampoo with silicone and sulphates?

I like the as I am clarifying and their Co washes, they both last ages for the price!

Reactions: 1
Can any recommend any budget shampoo and condition? I’ve got waivy 2C hair (I think) and it just looks like it’s in need of hydration!
Thanks xx

Can any recommend any budget shampoo and condition? I’ve got waivy 2C hair (I think) and it just looks like it’s in need of hydration!
Thanks xx
I think the OGX stuff is good at a reasonable price point.

Thanks xx
Noughty and Umberto Giannini Thirsty Curls are good and always on offer at Boots x

Can anyone recommend anything (but mainly a shampoo) for a dry/itchy but also oily hair? I have 2B hair. The curls are fine, it's frizzy and coarse which annoys me but I am working on it. The issue atm is that my scalp is so dry and itchy but it's making my hair oily.

Can anyone recommend anything (but mainly a shampoo) for a dry/itchy but also oily hair? I have 2B hair. The curls are fine, it's frizzy and coarse which annoys me but I am working on it. The issue atm is that my scalp is so dry and itchy but it's making my hair oily.
Im using T-Gel atm by Neutrogena.. I really rate it. I have terrible scalp issues sometimes. My hair is similar, fine but frizzy

My hair is kind of something like 2B, 2C and 3A.
I stopped straightening during the first lockdown when I realised that I had nowhere to go except Tesco! I’ve just never known how to manage it and work with it. I had a scrunching spray so started using that. My auntie has the same hair type and has always just left it to dry naturally, but she does live in Australia so it will dry more quickly than the UK!
I don’t use the CGM. It seems rather time consuming! I wash my hair with the OGX coconut curls shampoo and conditioner, but may try some of the conditioners suggested on this thread. I use the Living Proof curl defining gel after I wash it and only use the diffuser if I don’t have time to leave it to dry naturally. I use the Cantu revitaliser in the morning to tame it. I also sleep in a satin bonnet and get it cut every 6 weeks to keep it tidy. It’s a long bob length because I can’t manage long hair and it is so much of a better condition since I stopped using heat on it!

Bought some T-gel to use and the itching has improved slightly. I have been running my hair under cold water after washing, adding leave in conditioner and then plopping in a microfibre towel, curls look lovely but the top is still frizzy. I'm hoping that once my scalp isn't so dry it'll help

Bought some T-gel to use and the itching has improved slightly. I have been running my hair under cold water after washing, adding leave in conditioner and then plopping in a microfibre towel, curls look lovely but the top is still frizzy. I'm hoping that once my scalp isn't so dry it'll help
You might need protein as well as conditioning. A hair mask once a week or something? Hair can also get over conditioned (mine goes flat and too silky when this happens).

Could also try a long dip in cool camomile tea after washing/conditioning/rinsing well. Leave it in and then scrunch upside down with your mf towel. Spray in some styler when mostly dry and shake out your curls only when FULLY dry (diffuse gently on low if you need to speed this up!).

This is more effort than I usually like to put in but you get a great day 1 and can refresh the curls for a good 2/3 days after. Would love to see (anonymous!) pics…

May I have some advice on my hair please? Picture shows what my hair looks like when I air dry it with some cantu mousse in it and nothing else. It’s just a bit puffy and frizzy, what can I do about it?! This is my first day not straightening/drying my hair after realising it my hair is actually wavy 😂
B0CA4EC5-1B39-49EE-B612-E61D058BE085.jpeg

May I have some advice on my hair please? Picture shows what my hair looks like when I air dry it with some cantu mousse in it and nothing else. It’s just a bit puffy and frizzy, what can I do about it?! This is my first day not straightening/drying my hair after realising it my hair is actually wavy 😂
Hiya - lovely waves here!

Could you please drop your routine? As in shampoo and conditioner and whether you dry with a microfibre towel etc. As it goes I don't think it looks puffy or frizzy, but as it's the first time not straightening and drying there's probably some adjusting and accepting to do! I would also say Cantu can be very heavy. If I were to guess you're a 2a or 2b, and Cantu might be too much weight on your hair. But all in all looks lovely and I'm sure it can be even wavier in no time at all :)

Reactions: 3
Hiya - lovely waves here!

Could you please drop your routine? As in shampoo and conditioner and whether you dry with a microfibre towel etc. As it goes I don't think it looks puffy or frizzy, but as it's the first time not straightening and drying there's probably some adjusting and accepting to do! I would also say Cantu can be very heavy. If I were to guess you're a 2a or 2b, and Cantu might be too much weight on your hair. But all in all looks lovely and I'm sure it can be even wavier in no time at all :)
Ooh thank you so much! I just use body shop ginger shampoo and conditioner on it and then scrunch dried it a bit with a normal towel, put the mousse on and let it dry and the photo is how it ended up! Adjusting and accepting sounds like I definitely need a bit of patience! What would you recommend instead of Cantu?

• Heart
Definitely agree about Cantu, my waves are similar and it was way too heavy. I use Twisted sista amazing dream curl gel which is a lot lighter at a similar price point. The biggest difference was ditching a towel and using a t shirt to wrap my hair after plopping.
If you wash your hair in the shower, rinse it with your head down rather than back. I don't run gel through, I gently scrunch it through.

Reactions: 3
Ooh thank you so much! I just use body shop ginger shampoo and conditioner on it and then scrunch dried it a bit with a normal towel, put the mousse on and let it dry and the photo is how it ended up! Adjusting and accepting sounds like I definitely need a bit of patience! What would you recommend instead of Cantu?
I have 3c hair so I only know the heavy stuff and don't want to recommend the wrong things for you! But I would suggest reddit, there's r/curlyhair and wavyhair and they're great for people giving advice, and certainly r/curlyhair has a spreadsheets of products.

As Notworthy mentioned gel - gel is something that is highly recommended. But of course there's so many different types!

• Heart