Wavy / curly hair products, styling tips etc! 🌀

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven’t really been wearing my curls lately so I decided to give myself a wolf cut. I followed Brad Mondo’s tutorial. Seeing how it’s my first time doing something like this I’m not mad at all. I would definitely do this again and try other peoples takes on his technique.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi all, another wavy/curly girl here. My hair is between 2A and 2C. I started following loosely the CGM in March this year and having taken progress photos, my hair has improved dramatically from frizzy over-processed mess to healthy and something I’m actually quite pleased with. More often than not I leave it to air dry and only occasionally diffuse.

Having tried a number of curly products, the ones I’ve found suit and not too heavy on my thin hair are the Only Curls shampoo and conditioner, Catwalk by Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier and the Curlsmith in shower in-shower Style Fixer. I apply the styling products on dripping wet hair, rake in and scrunch and then use a microfibres towel to absorb some of the moisture. The new Curlsmith Full Body Thickening Lotion is great for giving extra body and I sometimes use dry shampoo between washes. Started going to a local curly hair hairdresser too. One of the best tips I learned is how to refresh the hair on the 2nd or 3rd day by liberally spraying with water and reapplying a little bit of styling product.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
One of the best tips I learned is how to refresh the hair on the 2nd or 3rd day by liberally spraying with water and reapplying a little bit of styling product.
I've only just started doing this and have found it great too! Really brings the curls back to life without having to do the full washing hassle.

• Heart
This instger who guides people thru virtual haircuts is so pleasant to watch. I can’t stop watching the haircut transformations 😍

The algorithm is on a mission to make me improve my curls 😅 Serious curl envy over here.

i wish I could hide this behind spoilers so I don’t feel like I’m spamming the thread. How gorgeous though ❣

Braving coming here because I feel like a fraud curl!

Have 2a/2b hair but after shower or dampened it naturally dries to 2c - which drops out/flattens by evening/next morning.
Only use oil serums to shine and defrizz. I don't use gels or mousses or such products
I don't like crunchy or wet look curls.

Tried the umberto Gianni curly coils shampoo & conditioner but didn't like that it tangles and crunches my hair like a hairspray effect.

Any tips to get gorgeous curls?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good styling products? I do my hair wash routine and use a micro fibre towel etc but find my hair dries frizzy. I don’t like a crunchy wet look curl!

Hello everyone!!!!

I have come to realise that I am a super lucky soul who's finally twigged that I have wavy hair after the birth of my kids. Always thought I had straight hair that was pouffey as it's so thick and I used to spend about four hours curling it with tongs before nights out ....

Now I'm realising I can have the hair I've always dreamed of if I just start washing it right,figuring out my products, having a hunt for the diffuser that came with my hairdryer and stop bloody brushing it 🤣

Really enjoying reading this thread and starting my curly/wavy girl journey. I think my hair is a 2b?
I know it definitely holds water, and it can be very greasy I usually wash it every other day. Had anyone found that by using the methods for wavy hair that they can wash it less? My hair is darker at the root so I feel it shows up grease. Ashamed to admit I have been using head and shoulders 2 in 1 for a while 😅

Reactions: 3
Hello everyone!!!!

I have come to realise that I am a super lucky soul who's finally twigged that I have wavy hair after the birth of my kids. Always thought I had straight hair that was pouffey as it's so thick and I used to spend about four hours curling it with tongs before nights out ....

Now I'm realising I can have the hair I've always dreamed of if I just start washing it right,figuring out my products, having a hunt for the diffuser that came with my hairdryer and stop bloody brushing it 🤣

Really enjoying reading this thread and starting my curly/wavy girl journey. I think my hair is a 2b?
I know it definitely holds water, and it can be very greasy I usually wash it every other day. Had anyone found that by using the methods for wavy hair that they can wash it less? My hair is darker at the root so I feel it shows up grease. Ashamed to admit I have been using head and shoulders 2 in 1 for a while 😅
I had to switch from H&S as the formula must have changed and it left my hair disgustingly greasy. I get a £1 shampoo from Savers which has been great plus the same brand conditioner. I did try the no poo shampoos but it didn't make a jot of difference to my waves. Biggest thing is plopping and I was using the curl gel by twisted sista, currently using Cantu and finding it utter rubbish.
ETA plopping with a long sleeve t shirt, no towels. I plop then tie the t shirt using the long sleeves

Hi everyone - I'm struggling a bit, I can't work out if my hair is a wave or a curl? This is a pic from this am, I was due a hair wash last night so used some baby shampoo, plopped it with a t-shirt and then let it air dry. I don't have a silk wrap or pillowcase and this morning it looked very wild with a huge mane of frizz on top. Underneath there seems to be ringlets so would this mean I'm more of a 3a? Or a 2c? Ive looked at loads of pic examples but am still unsure

Attachments

Hi everyone - I'm struggling a bit, I can't work out if my hair is a wave or a curl? This is a pic from this am, I was due a hair wash last night so used some baby shampoo, plopped it with a t-shirt and then let it air dry. I don't have a silk wrap or pillowcase and this morning it looked very wild with a huge mane of frizz on top. Underneath there seems to be ringlets so would this mean I'm more of a 3a? Or a 2c? Ive looked at loads of pic examples but am still unsure
Personally I wouldn’t get hung up on what curl type you are. Especially because as you’ve noticed, it can vary from one part of your hair to another!

For me the key has been finding the balance between clean/moisture/protein/styling. I use a mix of t gel sensitive shampoo maybe twice a month. One of a couple of conditioners I have lying around once or twice a week. Shea Moisture gel (it dries crispy but then you have to rake and shake it out - ideally upside down!).

I was recently gifted Innersense products and they are really great so far. Worth a try IMO.

If you are wanting to activate and explore your curls, swear off any brushing while not wet for a few months. Scrunch dry or use a microfibre towel (plopping didn’t work for me, and looks like it might have dragged out your lovely ringlets a bit @Wishwash). More moisture in the hair will mean less crown of frizz, so treat yourself to a nourishing cream or primer.

Also a curl-friendly haircut is totally key. Try to find somewhere that will do a dry cut. I have an excellent recc in London if anyone is interested.

Reactions: 2
Personally I wouldn’t get hung up on what curl type you are. Especially because as you’ve noticed, it can vary from one part of your hair to another!

For me the key has been finding the balance between clean/moisture/protein/styling. I use a mix of t gel sensitive shampoo maybe twice a month. One of a couple of conditioners I have lying around once or twice a week. Shea Moisture gel (it dries crispy but then you have to rake and shake it out - ideally upside down!).

I was recently gifted Innersense products and they are really great so far. Worth a try IMO.

If you are wanting to activate and explore your curls, swear off any brushing while not wet for a few months. Scrunch dry or use a microfibre towel (plopping didn’t work for me, and looks like it might have dragged out your lovely ringlets a bit @Wishwash). More moisture in the hair will mean less crown of frizz, so treat yourself to a nourishing cream or primer.

Also a curl-friendly haircut is totally key. Try to find somewhere that will do a dry cut. I have an excellent recc in London if anyone is interested.
I would be interested

Curly Hair London is Steph at Ozzie Rizzo salon in Mayfair. She’s not cheap but the cut will grow out so well. I wish I could go more but it looks great 4 months later still. Also, her colour is amazingly natural (no-one ever spots mine). She cuts dry and I really recommend bringing a photo reference. She’ll tailor it to your curl pattern and the results are amazing. Look up her Instagram. Curly hair London with _ those things I think.

Reactions: 3
Hey fellow curlies

Thought I’d chime in with my routine- after about 40 years of trying to figure it out and wrestling with crunchy/ greasy gels and mousses this is what I do now:

-wash hair
- rough dry upside down
- run my hands under the taps and then scrunch the water through my hair
- leave to dry for 15 mins while occasionally scrunching up with my hands
- when dry, spray with Elnett. That’s it!

Oh, and I cut my own hair. I learnt from a Devacurl tutorial!

This probably all makes it sound like my hair looks tit but I promise it really doesn’t!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Hey fellow curlies

Thought I’d chime in with my routine- after about 40 years of trying to figure it out and wrestling with crunchy/ greasy gels and mousses this is what I do now:

-wash hair
- rough dry upside down

This probably all makes it sound like my hair looks tit but I promise it really doesn’t!
This is pretty much me too but add in microfibre towel and haircut!

I’m using up my late Grandma’s Elnett! Smells old school and glamorous imo!

Hey fellow curlies

-wash hair
- rough dry upside down

I do similar too, although slight variation, for the best curls I wait til it's about 80% dry then run my wet hands over it (ends and lengths) and rub in some Boots curl creme (a budget friendly £1.99 a tub). I also clip my hair up loosely on top of my head when I'm drying it, I have very soft, fine hair and I end up with it being flat at the top and lacking in volume otherwise.

I spent years using a diffuser, drying it upside down etc but I'm 50 now and can't be arsed making that much effort 🤣🤣

Reactions: 5
Does anyone have any good styling products? I do my hair wash routine and use a micro fibre towel etc but find my hair dries frizzy. I don’t like a crunchy wet look curl!
Scrunching out the crunch (SOTC) will get rid of the gel cast/crunchy wet look.

What kind of curls do you have and what products do you use at the moment?

Braving coming here because I feel like a fraud curl!

Have 2a/2b hair but after shower or dampened it naturally dries to 2c - which drops out/flattens by evening/next morning.
Only use oil serums to shine and defrizz. I don't use gels or mousses or such products
I don't like crunchy or wet look curls.

Tried the umberto Gianni curly coils shampoo & conditioner but didn't like that it tangles and crunches my hair like a hairspray effect.

Any tips to get gorgeous curls?
You really need mousse/gel to help keep your curls looking good. That's why your hair looks flatter in the evening. Crunchy and wet look curls are normal when you've used gel and your hair dries. That's just the cast forming. You gently scrunch out that cast when your hair is dried to reveal your curls. 😍

I use Umberto Gianni and Flora and Curl mousse. F+C is expensive, otherwise I'd probably use it all the time. My new favourite gel is the aunt Jackie's Don't Shrink curling gel. It actually does shrink my curls 😆 which is what I prefer and the hold is very good.

I haven't found an oil that agrees with my hair. I avoid it.

I’m starting to think I might have slightly wavy hair. It looks 2a-ish when I get out of the shower but if I just leave it to air dry it goes straight again with some waves underneath and annoying flicks on top. My current routine is to brush it when wet, scrunch some water out with my head upside down with hands then microfibre towel, scrunch in some leave in conditioner and sea salt spray (I don’t want to buy any sort of wave cream type product unless I find some vague success with what I already have), then plop it in the towel. Unfortunately it takes hours to dry in the towel which is no good when I wash it before work. I dried it overnight last night and it’s come out a bit stringy looking with some random straight bits in the middle of the strands and flicks. Has anyone got any tips?