Wavy / curly hair products, styling tips etc! 🌀

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry if there’s already a thread on this!

I’m wanting to embrace my natural wave more and I’m at a loss where to start with products! I’ve religiously straightened my hair since I was 12 but I’m wanting to wear my natural hair more now. I’ve attached a pic as I’m not sure what type my waves are (I think 2c?!)

I’d like a product that gets rid of the ‘bulk’ and defines the waves more, rather than me looking like Hagrid 😅

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I started following curlykiet on Instagram this weekend and plan to follow some of her techniques to see if I can go from frizzy mess to groomed goddess.

Reactions: 2
I know there's the whole Curly Girl method which some people follow religiously but can be super overwhelming to begin with. The basic rules are no silicones (anything ending in -one in ingredients usually) and no sulphates (which are in a lot of shampoos - often Sodium Lauryl Sulfate). They also recommend using conditioner instead of shampoo most of the time, only using a clarifying shampoo every so often.

I usually have a Google about Curly Girl friend shampoos since there are some good resources out there, but I don't know if they're necessarily right for me (my hair is like 2a-b). But if you're UK based, here's a list of more easily accessible ones: https://likelovedo.com/curly-girl-method-uk-products-from-drugstores-and-supermarkets/

The XHC shampoos are an alright practice run to see if it helps you since it's only £1 and fits the criteria. The banana shampoo is alright, just didn't wow me in particular, while the ginger one kinda sucked for my hair (it made it feel very thick so probs not what you're looking for).

Last edited:
I have wavy hair that gets straightened by 90% of products, CGM did nothing to it 🥲 However, I can absolutely recommend Garnier’s Hair Food mask range for hydration, especially the banana one - works multiple ways, too.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
my hair is naturally wavy/curly and I leave it natural I'd say like 60/70% of the time. My tips are: brush your hair before washing it (not after), I use a product by TIGI called "curls rock amplifier" when my hair soaking wet - literally upside and scrunch. I let it airdry as much as possible. I use a diffuser if it's taking ages (which can sometimes happen as I have a lot of hair) and at the end I use a serum - which takes away some of the 'crunchiness' for the products. It also helps if you have layers cut into your hair too! 💕

Reactions: 3
I'm loosely following the CGM. I don't bother with the shampoo and conditioner part of it BUT I 100% recommend using a T shirt and doing the plop method, absolutely no towels. I use a long sleeved t shirt to wrap my hair. Products wise I use the twisted sista range available at boots and particularly the gel in a tub somewhere in the region of £5

• Heart
My advice is to not get caught up in purchasing all the products ‘curly girls’ use on Instagram as they may not work for you. You need to figure out what your hair type is like before buying anything. I struggled with trial and error because I have incredibly thick curly hair and I couldn’t find anyone with the same thickness. The main points are to use silicone free products and deep condition at least once a week. Start at the supermarkets or boots first before buying stuff online as that can be very expensive, especially if it doesn’t work for you! I’d recommend John Freida as a starting point!

Reactions: 4
I have used a tonne of different products ove the years....only ones I go back to is Boots curling creme.which they don't seem to have in stock at the mo and Cantu.

Trial and error is the best way!

I have thick curly hair that isn't dry, a lot of curl products I find are too greasy for me.

Good luck.

No silicone products is the key!

Thanks for all of the comments! I always use SLS / paraben free shampoo / conditioner as my hair is coloured. I bought Cantu curl activator cream on Amazon and I’m pleased with it - it’s just finding the right amount.

I went out today for the first time with my hair natural in years! I’ve been so insecure about it but it felt strangely freeing?!

I use this site when I'm in savers. https://curlscan.com/approved
I find it easier to see what's available within my price point and then check to see if it's approved. Also remember not all products in a brand are CGM approved

• Heart
My hair is heavy, coarse, curly and dry (I swear it drinks products). I feel like I've used every curl serum, shampoo, gel etc. under the sun and I've only recently found a few good products that help my hair. I never had anyone teach me how to look after my curls or hair, so it's been a process. Apologies in advance for the essay.

I do a lot of pre-hair wash prep. The night before I wash, I dry brush my hair, then I massage oil into my scalp (it helps with circulation and I've been doing it since I was a little girl). For this I use Holi Roots by Fable & Mane - it smells wonderful, isn't too heavy on hair and you really want to concentrate using it on your scalp and the ends of your hair. I do not go near coconut oil - it's too heavy and it makes my hair very brittle.
Then I use this amazing hair mask by Gisou (Honey Infused Hair Mask - it comes in a giant tub and lasts ages) and I apply that to my hair itself (from crown to tip). I loosely tie it back during the day (or night), then rinse it off in the shower.
Shampoo-wise, I avoid anything with sulphates, parabens and I've found that Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo is the only thing that helps my hair. I then dry it in a microfibre towel for 20 mins, before lightly applying serum (Aussie Work That Curl) and then Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly Scrunching Jelly - it's actually so good. It gives volume, defines curls without that nasty crunch texture or product heaviness. To define my curls (finger coil-style), I'll use Umberto Giannini Creme de Curl which is also so good. Then I leave it to air-dry.
I always wear a satin hair bonnet at night to protect my curls or I tie it in a very loose pineapple style (this is usually 2 days before it's hair wash night)

My hair is heavy, coarse, curly and dry (I swear it drinks products). I feel like I've used every curl serum, shampoo, gel etc. under the sun and I've only recently found a few good products that help my hair. I never had anyone teach me how to look after my curls or hair, so it's been a process. Apologies in advance for the essay.

I do a lot of pre-hair wash prep. The night before I wash, I dry brush my hair, then I massage oil into my scalp (it helps with circulation and I've been doing it since I was a little girl). For this I use Holi Roots by Fable & Mane - it smells wonderful, isn't too heavy on hair and you really want to concentrate using it on your scalp and the ends of your hair. I do not go near coconut oil - it's too heavy and it makes my hair very brittle.
Then I use this amazing hair mask by Gisou (Honey Infused Hair Mask - it comes in a giant tub and lasts ages) and I apply that to my hair itself (from crown to tip). I loosely tie it back during the day (or night), then rinse it off in the shower.
Shampoo-wise, I avoid anything with sulphates, parabens and I've found that Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo is the only thing that helps my hair. I then dry it in a microfibre towel for 20 mins, before lightly applying serum (Aussie Work That Curl) and then Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly Scrunching Jelly - it's actually so good. It gives volume, defines curls without that nasty crunch texture or product heaviness. To define my curls (finger coil-style), I'll use Umberto Giannini Creme de Curl which is also so good. Then I leave it to air-dry.
I always wear a satin hair bonnet at night to protect my curls or I tie it in a very loose pineapple style (this is usually 2 days before it's hair wash night)
Hiya! I feel you with the multi steps and million products just to try and get it somewhat under control. Can I ask - is there a reason why you dry brush it? On every curly hair forum I follow, irrespective of whether they're following the 'CGM' or not, dry brushing seems to be really discouraged as the hair is more fragile when dry, and brushing is likely to break it. Might be something to test out.

Please don't brush curly hair, even reading the comments stress me out 😂 I use a shower comb and dampen my hair to comb it.

I love the gariner range, the one with argan oil in. I've tried loads of different products so naturally it would be a 2 quid one that suits me 😂

• Heart
Hiya! I feel you with the multi steps and million products just to try and get it somewhat under control. Can I ask - is there a reason why you dry brush it? On every curly hair forum I follow, irrespective of whether they're following the 'CGM' or not, dry brushing seems to be really discouraged as the hair is more fragile when dry, and brushing is likely to break it. Might be something to test out.
I have only recently started to dry brush my hair because for me, I've found that it helps my hair to better absorb the hair mask and oil. I should also say that I do this the night before I wash my hair and pre-oiling: my hair already has product in it, so it's not like I'm dry brushing it 'raw' so to speak. I know people say don't dry brush curls and I followed that advice for years, but it didn't work for me - in the same way CGM doesn't work for me either. I personally found that I saw a lot more hair loss when I would comb my hair when it was damp compared to what I do now.
I also notice a huge difference after I've finished styling my hair - my curls have better volume and a more natural bounce. I don't use a diffuser; I air dry my hair. I brush gently starting at the bottom of my hair and work my way up (a lady called Lale Temori has a good video on it). I don't yank my hair, I take my time with it and I use a wide toothed comb I got from The Body Shop.
I would religiously follow what people would post in curly hair forums for years, including not dry brushing, but it doesn't always work and so much of what they recommended actually destroyed my hair (hence why now I use a lot of hair masks and hair oils). I'm now at a point where I don't scoff at what people's methods are. If it works, suits your curl type and keeps your hair healthy, that's what matters most

Shampoo-wise, I avoid anything with sulphates, parabens and I've found that Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo is the only thing that helps my hair.
Is there a sulphate free version of this shampoo? I can only see the regular one which has sulphates?

OP - my advice would be to try a variety of products and stick with what works for you, regardless of others options or ingredients (sulphates and silicones aren’t always bad!). I spent FAR too many years taking advice as gospel from curly haired influencers, YouTubers and the CGM and my hair ended up in such a mess. What works for one person isn’t guaranteed to work for you. The only things that I’ve seen a noticeable difference with is getting a good haircut and staying on top of regular trims, staying away from bleach and not using towels. I wouldn’t worry too much about what products you’re using but would pay a bit more attention to HOW you are using them. For example, I used to apply products to damp hair and nothing seemed to work, my hair always looked limp and frizzy. I then tried them on soaking wet hair and it was a game changer! This applies whether I’m using a mousse, gel or curl cream.

I do have a different hair type for reference though, I have fine strands but a lot of them and am a mix of 3A and 3B.

I really recommend looking up curlyjouk on Instagram. I’m wary of a lot of products that curly influencers promote on Instagram as they’re obvs being paid or gifted to promote, but her posts are really informative and really helped me get to grips with a routine and just basic understanding of hair types! I also tend to buy travel sizes or samples (5 samples for £3.95 on feelunique) of products before buying a full size as it’s such a trial and error process of what works for each person

I’ve told myself that once I’ve finished all my frizz ease products for straightening, I’m going back natural! 😁

I’ve been looking at Instagram accounts of curly girls and the amount of gel some of them use 😳 how does it not eve up crunchy?!

The cut of my hair isn’t suitable for curls, any advice on what to ask for? I know everyone’s hair is different… just need some pointers. Thank you.

I’ve told myself that once I’ve finished all my frizz ease products for straightening, I’m going back natural! 😁

I’ve been looking at Instagram accounts of curly girls and the amount of gel some of them use 😳 how does it not eve up crunchy?!

The cut of my hair isn’t suitable for curls, any advice on what to ask for? I know everyone’s hair is different… just need some pointers. Thank you.
It does end up crunchy but they then 'scrunch the crunch' out (so break the cast until the hair is soft again) 😅

It does end up crunchy but they then 'scrunch the crunch' out (so break the cast until the hair is soft again) 😅
Oh god, I’ve so much revision to do to remember all this lol

so last night was my first wash and curly revive session. It looks like a tit, shaggy perm that has straight bits amongst it all. I don’t think I have the patience to preserve 😞 can’t it take up to a year so get it back to normal? I look like I’ve been electrocuted ffs 🤣

Reactions: 1