Vignettes and Pets #4 Come the Revolution!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Deffo not paying for the Pardale and I so don’t want to pay for the Metacam that nearly killed him! ☹

Thank you for your nice comments about my boy in repose. He hadn’t been groomed for a week bless him. 🙁
Is he allowed back into the library yet?!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
S’funny you should say that. I am concerned that my fellah now has embedded in his brain that the hall is for wees and the laundry or the middle hall for the big ’D’. I came down from faffing in the top of the house rooms and walked through the wet and found the ‘D!’ twice this morning even though the black door is open and he can easily get in and out...

When I went in the sitting room he’d been sitting on the sofa and the cream carpet and all of it was covered again. I’ve had a week of this now. I tried to get him to come to me so I could wash his nethers again and he refused over and over to come. I shouted at him for not coming when I called him to come. He looked utterly shocked and terrified. He’s utterly fed up with me constantly lifting up his tail to check him. Something just snapped that I could not wash him and it was going everywhere again. Enough was enough. He’s since been washed and has spent a lot of today straining to go in the garden. It’s all just too much now. There was no need for this endless diarrhoea if they hadn’t prescribed something they KNEW can cause it! After a week I’m just exhausted with constantly checking his derriere in case...I have already spent a fortune on a huge white wool rug for the library to go over the cream wool carpet. Even though the stains are out the stain remover left big white blotches on the carpet. So hopefully the new rug to cover it all will arrive soon. No, he hasn’t been allowed back in because I’m not sure he doesn’t now see that as his new loo! I am now going to have to do the same thing for the sitting room because the carpet is a mass of white blotches that the stain remover has left. The vax machine doesn’t get the white marks out...

I am worried he’s still got the diarrhoea and is struggling to expel it but there is no way I trust that vet to prescribe anything anymore so I am having to leave it all untreated. I think I need to re-name my house Wit’s End. S’too much now and I shouted at my poor dog! I hate myself.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Oh no @Oops...

As I said in a previous post he's most likely got very sensitive down there now and is straining when there's nothing to expel. I googled and that's what it said....

I expect there are smells only he can smell too which triggers it in inappropriate places.

So sorry you are having such a rough time. Xx

• Heart
  • Wow
S’funny you should say that. I am concerned that my fellah now has embedded in his brain that the hall is for wees and the laundry or the middle hall for the big ’D’. I came down from faffing in the top of the house rooms and walked through the wet and found the ‘D!’ twice this morning even though the black door is open and he can easily get in and out...

When I went in the sitting room he’d been sitting on the sofa and the cream carpet and all of it was covered again. I’ve had a week of this now. I tried to get him to come to me so I could wash his nethers again and he refused over and over to come. I shouted at him for not coming when I called him to come. He looked utterly shocked and terrified. He’s utterly fed up with me constantly lifting up his tail to check him. Something just snapped that I could not wash him and it was going everywhere again. Enough was enough. He’s since been washed and has spent a lot of today straining to go in the garden. It’s all just too much now. There was no need for this endless diarrhoea if they hadn’t prescribed something they KNEW can cause it! After a week I’m just exhausted with constantly checking his derriere in case...I have already spent a fortune on a huge white wool rug for the library to go over the cream wool carpet. Even though the stains are out the stain remover left big white blotches on the carpet. So hopefully the new rug to cover it all will arrive soon. No, he hasn’t been allowed back in because I’m not sure he doesn’t now see that as his new loo! I am now going to have to do the same thing for the sitting room because the carpet is a mass of white blotches that the stain remover has left. The vax machine doesn’t get the white marks out...

I am worried he’s still got the diarrhoea and is struggling to expel it but there is no way I trust that vet to prescribe anything anymore so I am having to leave it all untreated. I think I need to re-name my house Wit’s End. S’too much now and I shouted at my poor dog! I hate myself.
Oh, you poor thing - this is awful for you and so upsetting. I have an awful time with Gem as well - I’m just back from a dogwalk and again, the same - washing the poo from the nethers. I’m wearing white tshirt and cream skirt so I should have predicted as much.

I have no carpets at all in the house for this very reason. I have a few rugs, white furniture in the living room (my mum and dad’s) but, luckily she favours one particular cushion to sit on so that’s fine. I had cream carpets in our last house and they were destroyed by her.

I feel so bad for you because it’s a real battle trying to wash any dog let alone a larger one. That’s why you shouted - you are absolutely exhausted. The bigger question now is - is it a direct symptom of the meds which should be out of his system by now or is it the new norm? In which case, his diet will have to be changed completely. For example, anything oily gets Gem to poop without constipation but could give TB diarrhea ... I have actually put a teaspoon of olive oil in her food to stop constipation. I’m thinking for TB perhaps more dry and starchy foods?

The vet might recommend something like this for gastrointestinal issue. Gem refuses point blank to eat Royal Canin but maybe TB might give it a go..?

F3B49741-B6C9-4E01-997D-4E828BDC882F.jpeg

---
Plus, has the poop changed at all in appearance - if it’s yellow and smells bad, it could be the pancreatitis....

Last edited:
  • Heart
Slippery elm always does the trick for my dogs when they have loose stools. Within 24 hours. I learned this from a breeder that feeds raw and only allows homeopathic care on her pets. I get it in capsule form from Amazon, break one open and dump the powder over a meal, mixing it in. Might be worth a try? Oh, and bananas! Bananas help firm up stools.

Have you given Teddy any yoghurt, @Oops... ? I'm wondering if his gut bacteria didn't take a beating from the meds. I know you said he can't have dairy but maybe a small spoonful would help calm his tummy?

I feel your agony. It is horrible as this is happening. I too always wonder if they assume it is the new norm if the accidents inside become too frequent. Don't feel bad about shouting. We've all been there. As much as he hates being cleaned up, it's not like it's fun for you either. Your poor carpets. Even the best cleaners often leave evidence even if the stain is gone. I've cleaned carpets within seconds of the accident occurring with the same results. I used to think if the stain set too long it was the issue. Nope. We now only have area rugs, which of course Wilbur will run to if he needs to be sick. :rolleyes: The carpeting makes them more sure footed I'm sure.

p.s. The vet practice has A LOT to answer for. Not only useless but they made everything worse!
p.s.s. Thank you for the beautiful poem. Made us all laugh. ❤

• Heart
Slippery elm always does the trick for my dogs when they have loose stools. Within 24 hours. I learned this from a breeder that feeds raw and only allows homeopathic care on her pets. I get it in capsule form from Amazon, break one open and dump the powder over a meal, mixing it in. Might be worth a try? Oh, and bananas! Bananas help firm up stools.

Have you given Teddy any yoghurt, @Oops... ? I'm wondering if his gut bacteria didn't take a beating from the meds. I know you said he can't have dairy but maybe a small spoonful would help calm his tummy?

I feel your agony. It is horrible as this is happening. I too always wonder if they assume it is the new norm if the accidents inside become too frequent. Don't feel bad about shouting. We've all been there. As much as he hates being cleaned up, it's not like it's fun for you either. Your poor carpets. Even the best cleaners often leave evidence even if the stain is gone. I've cleaned carpets within seconds of the accident occurring with the same results. I used to think if the stain set too long it was the issue. Nope. We now only have area rugs, which of course Wilbur will run to if he needs to be sick. :rolleyes: The carpeting makes them more sure footed I'm sure.

p.s. The vet practice has A LOT to answer for. Not only useless but they made everything worse!
p.s.s. Thank you for the beautiful poem. Made us all laugh. ❤
Yes @happyforest - I just read that bananas are wonderful for tummy upsets and as a big help in the dehydration department, rice as well with the chicken could settle the tum and yoghurt as you say as a probiotic to help the lining of his poor tum. Best of luck @Oops ❤

• Heart
Oh, God, it’s all kicking off here... our leaving cert girl went out to celebrate (every year it is the stuff of nightmares what they get up to on results night - four died in Tipperary crash last night). Our young one pulled an overnighter at a party where we would say was the wrong side of town. My sis needed a babysitter from 2pm today to attend a wedding reception in Galway and she offered to do it. Of course, I had arranged plan B (ie other daughter).

Her father is livid with her. The wrong area of town, the zero contact, the allnighter... I get it. Oh, the tears, though, when only yesterday, she was the hero. Bit tough...😢

• Sad
  • Wow
Oh it’s a real botheration Saturday somehow isn’t it? So sorry about your girl dearest Havisham. Gosh it’s SO hard you just NEVER stop worrying! It never ends...

Thank you everyone with all your kindest suggestions! So lovely 💕💕

I gave a dear, dear friend of mine afternoon tea today. We haven’t been able to see each other for quite some time. I love her dearly and she is extremely unwell. She is a real Trojan in the fullest sense of the word. Her daughter is extremely ill and her husband is too. Yet still she took time to admire her table setting, enquire after the dog and ask about my family. She brought me beautiful white flowers ( see below, obviously I want to share them with you) and after she left I yearned to have her back sitting in my kitchen again. I feel SO loved by her - she is a huge blessing. So many blessings to count...so many. She is having many problems with the medics (don’t start me!) and she sat across my table her beautiful face earnestly beaming and said “I have decided I am going to live and that’s all there is to it!” I told her I completely believe that! And I do...

4F93C89C-40B2-4B1A-A75F-89157461B503.jpeg

• Heart
Oh it’s a real botheration Saturday somehow isn’t it? So sorry about your girl dearest Havisham. Gosh it’s SO hard you just NEVER stop worrying! It never ends...

I gave a dear, dear friend of mine afternoon tea today. We haven’t been able to see each other for quite some time. I love her dearly and she is extremely unwell. She is a real Trojan in the fullest sense of the word. Her daughter is extremely ill and her husband is too. Yet still she took time to admire her table setting, enquire after the dog and ask about my family. She brought me beautiful white flowers ( see below, obviously I want to share them with you) and after she left I yearned to have her back sitting in my kitchen again. I feel SO loved by her - she is a huge blessing. So many blessings to count...so many. She is having many problems with the medics (don’t start me!) and she sat across my table her beautiful face earnestly beaming and said “I have decided I am going to live and that’s all there is to it!” I told her I completely believe that! And I do...

View attachment 2406287
@Oops she loves you because you are easy to love 🥰😍😇🤭🙏😍❤😡💪💪🐶 There’s nobody like you ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha

View attachment 2406287
Thanks for sharing your day.

If only more people were as lovely as you and your friend. What a shame she is so ill but what a wonderful attitude.

‐--‐----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I met my toxic 'friends' for brunch and my car got me there and back OK...40 mins round trip. Phew!
The only problem was that I was the first to arrive and was seated at a table inside (by the manager, it later transpired). I waited and waited for nearly 20 minutes and was confused how 3 people could all be late, but thought they might have been travelling together. Anyhoo, I got a call from Mrs Snoring Bossy and guess what? They had been seated outside and were wondering where I was!!!
I expressed my feelings to the manager, who was mortified, and said he would take the first round of drinks (teas and coffees at that time of day) off the bill, which he did.
I've refused to go back there again.

• Angry
Oh, God, it’s all kicking off here... our leaving cert girl went out to celebrate (every year it is the stuff of nightmares what they get up to on results night - four died in Tipperary crash last night). Our young one pulled an overnighter at a party where we would say was the wrong side of town. My sis needed a babysitter from 2pm today to attend a wedding reception in Galway and she offered to do it. Of course, I had arranged plan B (ie other daughter).

Her father is livid with her. The wrong area of town, the zero contact, the allnighter... I get it. Oh, the tears, though, when only yesterday, she was the hero. Bit tough...😢
I'm horrified for you! These kids just don't think!! Thank the Gods she is home safely, but really it's pure luck these days that kids get home safely. I get kids need to let off steam, but really they need to consider the areas they're in. And being girls it's even more dangerous. What a way to pivot from the celebrations. Sending you hugs. These girls will be the death of us. :mad:

• Heart
  • Sad
Misc Muffet - That reminds me of a quote I read when I was looking up how to deal with a particularly obdurate member of staff. (He’s new and we aren’t used to snotty attitudes or entitled demeanours) It made me smile when I read it...it was How much is it OK for me to pay you to do YOUR job? In other words I’m paying you AND doing your job because your aren’t doing your job! That wretched Manager came into that category. Just not invested in keeping track of his guests. Free coffee and tea? Yeah - OK! Don’t go there again I frocking wouldn’t . It seems like you are just not meant to enjoy yourself when involved with this lot. Is Upstairs trying to tell you something do you think? 🙄🦦🦦🦦
---
ETA great the car got you there and back though! Phew! 👏🤣

• Heart

Four died??? I'm so shocked.

No contact and staying out overnight? Didn't she think you would worry? I'm not surprised your husband is livid.
What goes through their heads? Really? 🤪

• Heart
  • Sad
Beautiful flowers, @Oops... Thank you so much for sharing the experience and bouquet with us. I'm so happy you got to spend time with someone that is genuine and kind especially after the horrible week you've had. I just love love love seeing your home. It is serene, elegant, yet cozy all at once. Just like you! @Milking Keynes speaks the truth, you are the most lovable lovey ever.

I can't tell you how much you all mean to me. This thread is the best thing.

@Miscanthus I want to whisk you away from these people and situations. What an unfortunate thing to happen. I am so sick of people not doing their jobs. I can't wrap my head around it. My MIL complains endlessly about this as well. It's like common sense, the sense of duty in workers has just gone out the window. I don't understand how these idiots stay employed. I never worked anywhere where such lackadaisical performance was tolerated. Yet it seems to be the norm across every encounter. No one gives a tit anymore, and man does it show.

So glad your car was ok. A 40 minute journey would have made me nervous. Hopefully you can get that sorted soon, so you don't have that worry anytime you have to use it.

• Heart
Four died??? I'm so shocked.

No contact and staying out overnight? Didn't she think you would worry? I'm not surprised your husband is livid.
What goes through their heads? Really? 🤪
I mean just what are you supposed to do? You get them phones. You pay for their phones. Do they ring you when you’re worried? Categorically not! THAT would show a bit of thoughtfulness! I didn’t think...Oh that’s ok then...Grrrr! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

ETA Isn’t it called Millenial Mindset? A complete law unto themselves. I think dear Aunty Happy’s daughter and her uni fees dilemma has the same outlook. Was there something we don’t know about put in the food for this age group?

Last edited:
  • Heart
I mean just what are you supposed to do? You get them phones. You pay for their phones. Do they ring you when you’re worried? Categorically not! THAT would show a bit of thoughtfulness! I didn’t think...Oh that’s ok then...Grrrr! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

ETA Isn’t it called Millenial Mindset? A complete law unto themselves. I think dear Aunty Happy’s daughter and her uni fees dilemma has the same outlook. Was there something we don’t know about put in the food for this age group?
I don't know but I feel they're creatures unlike any others. I STILL have to answer when my mother rings me, and I am pushing 50! I would never ever think to let her calls go to voicemail. It would be disrespectful and she would certainly, rightfully, call me out.

We let youngest visit Seattle for two weeks with a family member last summer on one condition, that she stay in contact with me daily and answer my texts and calls. She agreed, nodding intently that of course she would. Did she? NO! She only rang me when she wiped out on a mountain bike, and when she got food poisoning in the middle of the night, vomiting on the bed in the guest room of our family friend that was hosting her. She called me crying, not knowing what to do. All the times I tried to reach her, my calls went to voicemail. My texts were left on read. My emails to her went unanswered. Maddening.

Speaking of youngest and the uni fees. Her grades are so good, that the scholarship she has been offered has been made available if she chooses to study at certain universities in Europe. They're trying to accommodate her! Coincidentally, the uni she and her boyfriend want to attend would be acceptable for this arrangement. Caveat being the scholarship payout would be about a third less than if she were to attend uni in the US, but still, it is an amazing opportunity for her. (And him if he does indeed marry her. Imagine not having a huge debt to start out married life with.) The condition though is that she must matriculate and begin uni next fall, right after completing high school. Otherwise the opportunity is forfeited.

I told her to get her boyfriend on a video call and spoke to them both, telling them this is an amazing opportunity for her, and him too. They can both attend uni together, without the anvil of a huge debt looming over them for decades to come. She actually balked at it! She wants to take a gap year. And sit on her ass. He plans to also take a gap year, but he plans to work full time to save up for their own place in lieu of staying in student housing or commuting from his parent's house, which is a 20 min commute on public transport. He wants her to stay home and relax for a year. 😐

I give up. I am so frustrated I could cry. A "gap year" literally sitting around, alone in a foreign country, waiting for a boyfriend to come home each night. Not a gap year of backpacking through Europe, volunteering, or anything useful or fun really. That she is so casual about giving up this opportunity leaves me gobsmacked. I just don't understand her. I feel like I've failed somehow. I was chomping at the bit at her age. Desperate to begin adulting, to get independence, to get my life started. But there is no sense of urgency, no sense of responsibility or worry for the future. I'm honestly thankful the lovebirds don't want babies. DH is upset that neither of our girls want kids. Yet I am honestly relieved.

• Sad
  • Heart
Dog House…

My momma’s in the dog house - that’s if anybody’s looking
She shouted at me
So she‘s got a red card and a booking
I’m thinking of complaining in a formal written letter
I’ve always been a good boy and no other dog is better
Throw cushions! Pout! Don’t scream and shout!
It hurts my little ears
Have you not heard it makes me scared
And fills my head with fears?
Its very cruel and she’s a fool
I see that she’s contrite
But I’ve sent her to the dog house
She can stay there ‘til tonight!

• Heart
  • Haha
Screenshot_20230827_080302_Google.jpg

---
I don't know but I feel they're creatures unlike any others. I STILL have to answer when my mother rings me, and I am pushing 50! I would never ever think to let her calls go to voicemail. It would be disrespectful and she would certainly, rightfully, call me out.

We let youngest visit Seattle for two weeks with a family member last summer on one condition, that she stay in contact with me daily and answer my texts and calls. She agreed, nodding intently that of course she would. Did she? NO! She only rang me when she wiped out on a mountain bike, and when she got food poisoning in the middle of the night, vomiting on the bed in the guest room of our family friend that was hosting her. She called me crying, not knowing what to do. All the times I tried to reach her, my calls went to voicemail. My texts were left on read. My emails to her went unanswered. Maddening.

Speaking of youngest and the uni fees. Her grades are so good, that the scholarship she has been offered has been made available if she chooses to study at certain universities in Europe. They're trying to accommodate her! Coincidentally, the uni she and her boyfriend want to attend would be acceptable for this arrangement. Caveat being the scholarship payout would be about a third less than if she were to attend uni in the US, but still, it is an amazing opportunity for her. (And him if he does indeed marry her. Imagine not having a huge debt to start out married life with.) The condition though is that she must matriculate and begin uni next fall, right after completing high school. Otherwise the opportunity is forfeited.

I told her to get her boyfriend on a video call and spoke to them both, telling them this is an amazing opportunity for her, and him too. They can both attend uni together, without the anvil of a huge debt looming over them for decades to come. She actually balked at it! She wants to take a gap year. And sit on her ass. He plans to also take a gap year, but he plans to work full time to save up for their own place in lieu of staying in student housing or commuting from his parent's house, which is a 20 min commute on public transport. He wants her to stay home and relax for a year. 😐

I give up. I am so frustrated I could cry. A "gap year" literally sitting around, alone in a foreign country, waiting for a boyfriend to come home each night. Not a gap year of backpacking through Europe, volunteering, or anything useful or fun really. That she is so casual about giving up this opportunity leaves me gobsmacked. I just don't understand her. I feel like I've failed somehow. I was chomping at the bit at her age. Desperate to begin adulting, to get independence, to get my life started. But there is no sense of urgency, no sense of responsibility or worry for the future. I'm honestly thankful the lovebirds don't want babies. DH is upset that neither of our girls want kids. Yet I am honestly relieved.
That's fantastic news about the exam grades and scholarship. What an amazing opportunity!
Does your youngest want to take a gap year because the bf has talked her into it? Has she really thought it through properly? I'm presuming her gap year would be in his country, so is she really planning to spend a whole year doing nothing in a foreign country away from her family?
I'd be interested to know if she has spent any lengthy time abroad away from you before? I'm presuming not. I think she will be very homesick and bored.
At least he seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders, planning to set them up financially or at least with accommodation. I suppose if he's planning to work, he can't travel and doesn't want her to.
I honestly don't know how you cope with all of these issues. You are all strong, intelligent women, and your are intelligent too, yet seem to exist in a bubble where money worries, responsibilities, a sense of danger and respect don't exist.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Good Morning, all! Happy Sunday!

Thanks for all the news - I’m catching up! @Miscanthus that was awful. Bad enough the stress of the car it being a 40minute journey but then to arrive and wait and wait... I’m going to go all out here and blame the pals not the manager. Why? Well, we know the staff get almost everything wrong which is why we text and say where we are seated. I met my pal on Fri evening and I arrived first. I texted her I’m seated at the bar in the sports lounge section of The Orchard - and ordered us both a Hendricks and Slimline. She was reading the text as she arrived. Those girls are trouble, methinks. They should have texted you on arrival sitting outside - how easy would that be? Then, they all benefit from free teas.... how fair is that? 😡 @Oops is right - upstairs is sending you a message...

@Oops - delighted you had a lovely afternoon with your friend and that she was such great company in spite of her worries. The flowers are beautiful.

@happyforest you must be at your wits end regarding your daughter and the uni issue. It’s hard to believe how girls will forfeit and derail their entire education and lifeplan over a boy. It’s mind boggling, it truly is. I feel for you.

I agree re the phone too. My mother would ring me for chats even though I would be seeing her later - it drove me crazy but I would always answer her. When my girls go out, they never answer their phones. My husband has a tracker for the younger one and she hasn’t yet turned it off which is how he knows whereabouts in the city she is. He told her if she continues she can live somewhere else but he’s not going to live his life waking up at 3am to check her bed.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.