Venetia Falconer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
long time lurker on this thread but just wanted to say I totally agree with everything you said here!

I think she’s probably a nice person irl & I find the whole Max situation worrying… but every time I see her stories, I find myself wondering about her passion for the cause. I would likely post about going out for nice dinners/on trips too if I was rich, don’t get me wrong. But as someone with a hell of a lot of free time from not working a regular job, she could easily volunteer several times a week somewhere like a charity shop, sorting through donations or merchandising stock. I guess a lot of anti fast fashion influencers prefer to stick to podcasting/content creation & doing collabs with luxury ethical brands because it doesn’t involve getting their hands dirty 🤣
that’s it exactly. Lauren Bravo is a journalist/author who wrote a book on breaking up with fast fashion. She volunteered for years at a charity shop at the weekend (still does I think). She genuinely believes in what she writes.

Venetia can lobby and protest and post facts and figures all she wants, but realistically if she wanted to change behaviour at a micro and macro level, she’d encourage buying secondhand and she’d get involved in promoting that.

Posting about the evils of high street brands is all well and good, but people still need to buy clothing. The single best choice they could be making is buying second hand - yet Venetia seems to have very little appetite to promote this particular aspect of sustainability.

since the start of this year, I think she’s done a post to promote Vinted and a post to promote a swapping event. Her activism is almost solely done online which… is still great, but I’d have thought for something that was a true purpose and passion for someone, they’d pursue it in their day to day life too - or make it their career.

Her dad is a third generation architect I believe, with a pretty strong work ethic. I find it interesting that this work ethic just doesn’t seem to have extended to his daughters, both of whom make a living faffing about on Instagram. But I suspect that’s why Venetia has to make her Instagram-faffing “noble” by turning it into a cause.

she’s not workshy and shallow when she posts selfies, it’s all for the greater good (wink wink)

Reactions: 5
that’s it exactly. Lauren Bravo is a journalist/author who wrote a book on breaking up with fast fashion. She volunteered for years at a charity shop at the weekend (still does I think). She genuinely believes in what she writes.

Venetia can lobby and protest and post facts and figures all she wants, but realistically if she wanted to change behaviour at a micro and macro level, she’d encourage buying secondhand and she’d get involved in promoting that.

Posting about the evils of high street brands is all well and good, but people still need to buy clothing. The single best choice they could be making is buying second hand - yet Venetia seems to have very little appetite to promote this particular aspect of sustainability.

since the start of this year, I think she’s done a post to promote Vinted and a post to promote a swapping event. Her activism is almost solely done online which… is still great, but I’d have thought for something that was a true purpose and passion for someone, they’d pursue it in their day to day life too - or make it their career.

Her dad is a third generation architect I believe, with a pretty strong work ethic. I find it interesting that this work ethic just doesn’t seem to have extended to his daughters, both of whom make a living faffing about on Instagram. But I suspect that’s why Venetia has to make her Instagram-faffing “noble” by turning it into a cause.

she’s not workshy and shallow when she posts selfies, it’s all for the greater good (wink wink)
Oh yeah, that book is on my TBR list! I manage a charity shop & buy almost everything secondhand so this topic is really up my street. It’s why I started following Venetia in the first place, but I’m not sure how much longer I can watch the coffee making stories 🤣

Most people already know how bad fast fashion is but resort to it anyway as it takes time to find secondhand clothes that fit/look good, especially on a budget. I’ve noticed that Venetia mostly seems to promote Vestiaire Collective which is generally pretty expensive & not the best place to find everyday staples. Or she talks a lot about “just wearing the clothes you already own” but ordinary working people don’t necessarily have a massive wardrobe, plus those clothes are going to get worn out eventually - especially if you have a physically demanding job.

In comparison, I follow saint.thrifty on instagram who’s currently partnered with Thrift+ & does reels about secondhand shopping in different cities. She seems pretty well off money-wise like Venetia & her main job is content creation, but somehow I feel that she’s more relatable.

• Heart
Oh yeah, that book is on my TBR list! I manage a charity shop & buy almost everything secondhand so this topic is really up my street. It’s why I started following Venetia in the first place, but I’m not sure how much longer I can watch the coffee making stories 🤣

Most people already know how bad fast fashion is but resort to it anyway as it takes time to find secondhand clothes that fit/look good, especially on a budget. I’ve noticed that Venetia mostly seems to promote Vestiaire Collective which is generally pretty expensive & not the best place to find everyday staples. Or she talks a lot about “just wearing the clothes you already own” but ordinary working people don’t necessarily have a massive wardrobe, plus those clothes are going to get worn out eventually - especially if you have a physically demanding job.

In comparison, I follow saint.thrifty on instagram who’s currently partnered with Thrift+ & does reels about secondhand shopping in different cities. She seems pretty well off money-wise like Venetia & her main job is content creation, but somehow I feel that she’s more relatable.
I don't understand what you mean...are you saying you are not interested in 100th episode of chickpea tuna salad making and sky AD? 🫠🫠
Totally agree, she could promote charity shops locally but nah...better meet sustainability groups in Paris 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’m sure she did a post a while ago telling people not to give to charity shops as lots of the stuff doesn’t get sold and ends up in landfill anyway…so sell stuff instead…I’m paraphrasing here but it was definitely something along those lines.

I’m sure she did a post a while ago telling people not to give to charity shops as lots of the stuff doesn’t get sold and ends up in landfill anyway…so sell stuff instead…I’m paraphrasing here but it was definitely something along those lines.
I’ve volunteered at a charity shop and tbh, people treated it like landfill (I wonder if it’s the same experience for others?). I also volunteered during the Ukraine crisis, sorting through clothes donations and that was shocking. We’d recieved bags of dirty clothing rags (one was utterly covered in dog hair). It was an interesting insight into the mindset of people donating, who definitely were of the mindset that beggars shouldn’t be choosers, which I found a little depressing. Someone has had their life ripped from them, they deserve better than your dirty worn rags.

rhe thing is… based on the brands and styles of clothing, you could tell it was older well to do women who were donating the worst crap. I found that pretty shocking.

but shopping at a charity shop will provide revenue to the charity, will reduce environmental impact and will increase shop turnover = ability to sell more. The problem lies with people donating rags and crap, and the main offenders won’t be venetias core demographic. So I don’t know why she’d send that message out.

I liked Saint thrifty, but I followed her from when she had just started her account. She’d attempted a different type of blog before. I prefer her to Venetia, but she’s very militant about her message. E.g. she won’t share the brand name of clothing because she doesn’t want to give them further exposure and just encourages her followers to search for similar on eBay. If it’s an old item of clothing, it’s not like she’ll be encouraging people to go and buy the item? And surely letting people know the brand name will encourage/make it easier to find on reselling sites? Her logic makes no sense to me.

I get the feeling she’s similar to Venetia - wanted an insta career and felt the fashion sustainability hype was the best vehicle after other avenues didn’t work out. She’s been way too slick and strategic for this to be an amateur attempt at influencing. And her mantra of “rewearing your wardrobe” goes out of the window when there’s a pantee collab in the cards

Reactions: 3
I remember venetia used to be a presenter didn't she? I think on mtv or something? I wonder why that stopped?

Reactions: 1
I think she’s still signed to a management company. She’s had quite the array of interests. Interesting that her first job out of Uni was producing a flagship show for MTV. That’s a pretty high responsibility role, and usually producers/exec producers are responsible for either raising funds or directly funding, shows/movies. I wonder if her parents bankrolled that first job to kick start her career?

in this article she talks a bit about her career and her history of disordered eating which, tbh, doesn’t look like she’s handling well atm. And who tf drinks boiled water to kick start their day? At least add a lemon?!

Reactions: 4
I don't understand what you mean...are you saying you are not interested in 100th episode of chickpea tuna salad making and sky AD? 🫠🫠
Totally agree, she could promote charity shops locally but nah...better meet sustainability groups in Paris 🤷‍♀️
The Sky ads thing is somehow more bearable than the coffee vids haha
---
I can see her point about donating, as despite my best efforts those above me want old stock gone if it’s not sold after 4 weeks 😬 but buying from the shops will help
---
I’ve volunteered at a charity shop and tbh, people treated it like landfill (I wonder if it’s the same experience for others?). I also volunteered during the Ukraine crisis, sorting through clothes donations and that was shocking. We’d recieved bags of dirty clothing rags (one was utterly covered in dog hair). It was an interesting insight into the mindset of people donating, who definitely were of the mindset that beggars shouldn’t be choosers, which I found a little depressing. Someone has had their life ripped from them, they deserve better than your dirty worn rags.

rhe thing is… based on the brands and styles of clothing, you could tell it was older well to do women who were donating the worst crap. I found that pretty shocking.

but shopping at a charity shop will provide revenue to the charity, will reduce environmental impact and will increase shop turnover = ability to sell more. The problem lies with people donating rags and crap, and the main offenders won’t be venetias core demographic. So I don’t know why she’d send that message out.

I liked Saint thrifty, but I followed her from when she had just started her account. She’d attempted a different type of blog before. I prefer her to Venetia, but she’s very militant about her message. E.g. she won’t share the brand name of clothing because she doesn’t want to give them further exposure and just encourages her followers to search for similar on eBay. If it’s an old item of clothing, it’s not like she’ll be encouraging people to go and buy the item? And surely letting people know the brand name will encourage/make it easier to find on reselling sites? Her logic makes no sense to me.

I get the feeling she’s similar to Venetia - wanted an insta career and felt the fashion sustainability hype was the best vehicle after other avenues didn’t work out. She’s been way too slick and strategic for this to be an amateur attempt at influencing. And her mantra of “rewearing your wardrobe” goes out of the window when there’s a pantee collab in the cards
Yeah some bags are absolutely horrific, & it’s always smug people donating them 😒 even before I worked in charity retail I thought it was basic knowledge that you should only donate clean, usable stuff but apparently not everyone has the same idea 😅

You can get things so cheap & give them new life, even if it’s only for an extra few months before they fall apart. Plus most shops now offer refunds/exchanges if things don’t fit. So I think it’s much more accessible than ordering secondhand stuff online.

I’m still quite a new follower of saint.thrifty but I rarely trust influencers even if I enjoy their content, so that’s interesting to hear about her. Another blogger that I follow shared info about a cardigan she found on eBay which I then also bought secondhand because I loved it. If someone’s going to buy something because they’ve seen you wearing it then it’s better for them to search eBay for the brand than to go on Amazon or a fast fashion site 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
I'm listening to her voice notes podcast and enjoying it, however does she really have to include the words ethical, privilege, capitalist etc in every sentence she speaks?! We get it, you're an activist.

I get that Venetia likes fashion but her constant OOTD vids kind of promote consumerism surely? Also she has soooo many clothes compared to the average person.

In her recent outfit story she says the shirt is ‘borrowed from my housemate..’…is this how she refers to Max or do they have a lodger?! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I get that Venetia likes fashion but her constant OOTD vids kind of promote consumerism surely? Also she has soooo many clothes compared to the average person.
Yeh I have thought this for a while, whatever she says promoting clothes is encouraging other people to buy them. Most people do not own as much as her already or have friends with the same body type etx

Yeh I have thought this for a while, whatever she says promoting clothes is encouraging other people to buy them. Most people do not own as much as her already or have friends with the same body type etx
especially since she built up a wardrobe from having money to buy lots of clothes when she used to over consume. But surely it’s not all old? Even if buying second hand you can still over consume and hoard clothes away from others

Reactions: 3
I've not added anything on here in a while but venetia's recent content has really tipped me over the edge. Firstly, she does not look well at alllll - she's lost so much weight and genuinely I hope she's ok because she looks gaunt. Secondly, she's adoped Max's cult-leader-esque charisma in her reels and i find the huge grin really off-putting. I do think she's lost her USP - we are in a literal cost of living crisis and it often feels like her platform is preaching to the choir. Most of her followers follow her BECAUSE they support sustainable fashion already, and the rest wish they could but I think struggle financially like we all do. Her content is extreme and unoriginal, and I am baffled by the finances of it all because all the content is written by Molly Lipson?! Venetia would be better off having a word with jet-setting Niomi Smart or her own beloved sister who lives the peak london socialite lifestyle (her recent stint of living in india was really giving...colonial...vibes to put it nicely).

Reactions: 11
I've not added anything on here in a while but venetia's recent content has really tipped me over the edge. Firstly, she does not look well at alllll - she's lost so much weight and genuinely I hope she's ok because she looks gaunt. Secondly, she's adoped Max's cult-leader-esque charisma in her reels and i find the huge grin really off-putting. I do think she's lost her USP - we are in a literal cost of living crisis and it often feels like her platform is preaching to the choir. Most of her followers follow her BECAUSE they support sustainable fashion already, and the rest wish they could but I think struggle financially like we all do. Her content is extreme and unoriginal, and I am baffled by the finances of it all because all the content is written by Molly Lipson?! Venetia would be better off having a word with jet-setting Niomi Smart or her own beloved sister who lives the peak london socialite lifestyle (her recent stint of living in india was really giving...colonial...vibes to put it nicely).
Jst wwnt to look at her Instagram and i totally agree 😔Who is molly lipson? Also I was confused initially why venetia changed her surname but I assume it is to distance herself from.her sister/her rich family

Reactions: 2
Yeah that trip to India was unbelievably cringe! I do wonder if the two of them are still close but try not to acknowledge it on social media as their views/values seem worlds apart…although I don’t think Venetia 100% believes in what she’s preaching about…

ber reels are freaking me out. It’s the super wide overexaggerated mouth for me. Tell me you’re a failed Tv presenter without telling me

i had to unfollow her because it was aggressively pushing this message down my throat. I already buy secondhand and vintage. I don’t buy new. I know H&M are greenwashing. It feels like her online campaigning is just about self promotion because it doesn’t feel like this is reaching new people or having much of an impact? It’s just Venetia acting self righteous in front of a mix and quoting figures at us. Nothing helpful really.

Reactions: 7
I've been listening to her voice notes podcast and I think she is cutting/has cut a bunch of her friends out of her life due to her views. She mentions that it's been difficult the past few months and she might talk about it in the future, but yeah safe to say she's culling friends.
My friend works for Shell is the podcast episode. Voicenote 6.
It's a question asked towards the end of the episode if anyone wants to listen.

I've been listening to her voice notes podcast and I think she is cutting/has cut a bunch of her friends out of her life due to her views. She mentions that it's been difficult the past few months and she might talk about it in the future, but yeah safe to say she's culling friends.
I understand why people would do this because of their beliefs... but based on the fact that she is basically stuck in a small town with a boyfriend who seems pretty controlling I actually find this really worrying

Reactions: 7
I understand why people would do this because of their beliefs... but based on the fact that she is basically stuck in a small town with a boyfriend who seems pretty controlling I actually find this really worrying
I wonder if it’s her boarding school friends she’s cutting out, they cropped up in some of her old videos before she took down all the ones from her pre-sustainability life…🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 2