Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Since we are in December now, what is everyone having for their Xmas day roast? šŸ‘€ For various reason I really need to have a good Xmas this year so I am starting to browse the offerings early.
Had this last year and I think the year before too, and it was tasty but I would like to mix things up, you know?
(Makes great sandwiches too if you somehow have leftovers)
This sounds mega tasty but Ā£16 is a lot, innit? šŸ„“ Plus I have to travel to a Waitrose, as I don't have one in my town (first world problems, I know).
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...-gravy-and-festive-sides/878859-807798-807798
This looks nice too and I have actually seen them already in my local Tesco, plus nothing I have tried from This Isn't has ever tasted strange so this is definitely going on my list of possible options:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/315067479
This looks nice too, from Aldi:
Ooh Iā€™ve not tried the ones youā€™ve listed (Iā€™ll add them to my list of options!) but I donā€™t think you can go wrong with the pea protein based meat-alternatives šŸ˜Š

We had this one from Sainsburyā€™s last year! There was a good ratio of ā€œmeatā€ to stuffing and it was good for sandwiches the next day:

The Ā£16 from Waitrose is definitely too pricey for what it is! This one from M&S/Ocado might be a good option if youā€™re looking for something fancier? And you can get 25% off your first shop šŸ™‚

Iā€™ve also had the Lidl vegan wreath before which is ā€œsausageā€ based, itā€™s really yummy and looks nice on the table!

Does anyone buy the pretend pigs in blankets? Iā€™ve had the ones from Aldi before but Iā€™m curious if thereā€™s any better ones around!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Since we are in December now, what is everyone having for their Xmas day roast? šŸ‘€ For various reason I really need to have a good Xmas this year so I am starting to browse the offerings early.
Had this last year and I think the year before too, and it was tasty but I would like to mix things up, you know?
This sounds mega tasty but Ā£16 is a lot, innit? šŸ„“ Plus I have to travel to a Waitrose, as I don't have one in my town (first world problems, I know).
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...-gravy-and-festive-sides/878859-807798-807798
This looks nice too and I have actually seen them already in my local Tesco, plus nothing I have tried from This Isn't has ever tasted strange so this is definitely going on my list of possible options:
I think we have an Asda roast in the freezer already, pretty sure we didn't eat it yet šŸ˜‚

I'm not personally a fan of the Tesco Plant Chef stuff, find it very bread. We had the Meatless Farm Chicken Joint yesterday and that was nice. Saw the This Isn't one but opted for the Meatless Farm instead because it was cheaper and you got more šŸ˜‚

I'd really like to try either the Morrison's or the Aldi Gammon joints, don't think they're available for a couple of weeks though.

• Heart
Ooh Iā€™ve not tried the ones youā€™ve listed (Iā€™ll add them to my list of options!) but I donā€™t think you can go wrong with the pea protein based meat-alternatives šŸ˜Š

We had this one from Sainsburyā€™s last year! There was a good ratio of ā€œmeatā€ to stuffing and it was good for sandwiches the next day:

The Ā£16 from Waitrose is definitely too pricey for what it is! This one from M&S/Ocado might be a good option if youā€™re looking for something fancier? And you can get 25% off your first shop šŸ™‚

Iā€™ve also had the Lidl vegan wreath before which is ā€œsausageā€ based, itā€™s really yummy and looks nice on the table!

Does anyone buy the pretend pigs in blankets? Iā€™ve had the ones from Aldi before but Iā€™m curious if thereā€™s any better ones around!
Thanks for these, the Sainsbury's one is mushroom and pea protein so right up my street. I think pea protein alternatives are actually some of my faves.
The M&S one sounds nice too, I hope you can get it in-store as well as online because I should be able to get to an M&S right before Xmas! I don't mind spending a lil' extra, is Christmas after all but the Ā£16 Waitrose one is a bit much, isn't it?

I am not a big fan of pigs in blankets in general so can't help with that I am afraid!
---
I think we have an Asda roast in the freezer already, pretty sure we didn't eat it yet šŸ˜‚

I'm not personally a fan of the Tesco Plant Chef stuff, find it very bread. We had the Meatless Farm Chicken Joint yesterday and that was nice. Saw the This Isn't one but opted for the Meatless Farm instead because it was cheaper and you got more šŸ˜‚

I'd really like to try either the Morrison's or the Aldi Gammon joints, don't think they're available for a couple of weeks though.
Thank you! The Meatless Farm has been added to the list.

I had a Wicked maple-glazed gammon joint last year, I got the crown of turkey and the gammon because I couldn't decide, I think I actually froze it and had it like a couple of weeks after Christmas, and my boyfriend who is not vegetarian but happy to try things with me, really liked it too! I don't know if they're doing it this year, can't see it on Tesco's website ā˜¹ It was fairly small though, so if you have quite a few people to feed, it maybe a good idea to get it along something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Thanks for these, the Sainsbury's one is mushroom and pea protein so right up my street. I think pea protein alternatives are actually some of my faves.
The M&S one sounds nice too, I hope you can get it in-store as well as online because I should be able to get to an M&S right before Xmas! I don't mind spending a lil' extra, is Christmas after all but the Ā£16 Waitrose one is a bit much, isn't it?

I am not a big fan of pigs in blankets in general so can't help with that I am afraid!
---

Thank you! The Meatless Farm has been added to the list.

I had a Wicked maple-glazed gammon joint last year, I got the crown of turkey and the gammon because I couldn't decide, I think I actually froze it and had it like a couple of weeks after Christmas, and my boyfriend who is not vegetarian but happy to try things with me, really liked it too! I don't know if they're doing it this year, can't see it on Tesco's website ā˜¹ It was fairly small though, so if you have quite a few people to feed, it maybe a good idea to get it along something else.
Fortunately for us it's only going to be me, my husband and our wee toddler so the smaller joints are usually plenty. We had the Meatless Farm one for our Sunday dinner yesterday and it did two decent portions for us grown ups, plus a portion for our boy with enough leftover for my husband and I to have for lunch. Not too shabby for the price and I think it was on a Clubcard deal last week too. šŸ˜Š

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've got this to try, not sure what we're having for Christmas yet as I'm not a huge fan of meat alternatives
Screenshot_20231205_072935_Sainsbury's.jpg

• Heart
We are having the M&S one https://christmasfood.marksandspencer.com/stuffed-vegan-turkey-joint-serves-4-/p/fdp60585781

Havenā€™t tried the others but the selection in Ireland isnā€™t the greatest!

• Heart
I need 2 vegan meals on Christmas Day so for the last 3 years we have bought these ready prepared fresh meal packages from a local plant based catering company. The food is really good šŸ˜Š

E6F26775-6B1B-4AE0-B84A-87FD6DA85AB4.jpeg

• Heart
Had anyone mastered making spirulina palatable ? I use to just whisk a spoonful into water and down it, but stopped for a few months and now finding it almost impossible to drink - it's even making me gag...

Any tips would be ever so gratefully received.
The only way I could take it was in a smoothie made with frozen mango and orange juice as a base. That gives a strong enough flavour to disguise everything. I used to put a quarter teaspoon of turmeric in as well and couldn't taste that either.

Reactions: 1
Had anyone mastered making spirulina palatable ? I use to just whisk a spoonful into water and down it, but stopped for a few months and now finding it almost impossible to drink - it's even making me gag...

Any tips would be ever so gratefully received.
Out of interest why are you taking it?

Re Christmas I have bought the sainsburys frozen fake turkey joint so hoping itā€™s nice. Cooked the meatless farm chicken joint on Sunday which was nice but kids thought it a bit too herby. Although my eldest had left overs in a sandwich with ketchup.
Iā€™m hoping to get my mitts on some of the good fake camemberts but my M&S is shocking for their vegan section. Tried the nurish last week and it was good but hoping to find a couple more šŸ™šŸ»

---
Oh yes Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be able to find it in store too! I have the opposite problem unfortunately - we have a Waitrose but no M&S, just Ocado šŸ˜£

Oddly enough, I was never a big fan of pork when I ate meat - I think I only tried gammon once! But I love veggie sausages and the smoky flavouring that facon has, itā€™s weird šŸ˜… Iā€™ll have to see if I can try the Morrisons/Aldi gammon that everyoneā€™s been talking about!

Re Christmas I have bought the sainsburys frozen fake turkey joint so hoping itā€™s nice. Cooked the meatless farm chicken joint on Sunday which was nice but kids thought it a bit too herby. Although my eldest had left overs in a sandwich with ketchup.
Iā€™m hoping to get my mitts on some of the good fake camemberts but my M&S is shocking for their vegan section. Tried the nurish last week and it was good but hoping to find a couple more šŸ™šŸ»
I hope the Sainsburyā€™s joint is a winner!

You just reminded me, last year Sainsburyā€™s reduced their fake camemberts to 1p after Christmas, they had tons left on the shelf so I guess they didnā€™t sell very well, which is a shame!

They came in a terracotta ramekin, I think this is the one. It was really good - even my partner who is non-veggie liked it! šŸ§€

Attachments

• Heart
Guys, I finally got my hands on some Squeaky Beans tuna, beyond excited (also, got it on offer with Nectar šŸ„°). Will report back once tried.
---
Oh yes Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be able to find it in store too! I have the opposite problem unfortunately - we have a Waitrose but no M&S, just Ocado šŸ˜£
Oddly enough, I was never a big fan of pork when I ate meat - I think I only tried gammon once! But I love veggie sausages and the smoky flavouring that facon has, itā€™s weird šŸ˜… Iā€™ll have to see if I can try the Morrisons/Aldi gammon that everyoneā€™s been talking about!

I hope the Sainsburyā€™s joint is a winner!

You just reminded me, last year Sainsburyā€™s reduced their fake camemberts to 1p after Christmas, they had tons left on the shelf so I guess they didnā€™t sell very well, which is a shame!

They came in a terracotta ramekin, I think this is the one. It was really good - even my partner who is non-veggie liked it! šŸ§€
I love getting festive foods for the freezer on Boxing Day/NY day šŸ˜ Yellow sticker food sale makes me more happy than clothes/makeup/skincare sale these days haha (it must be combination of being well into my thirties and trying to survive the cost of living crisis)
---
I need 2 vegan meals on Christmas Day so for the last 3 years we have bought these ready prepared fresh meal packages from a local plant based catering company. The food is really good šŸ˜Š

View attachment 2611036
So nice to have someone like this locally, the menu sounds stunning ā¤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Guys, I finally got my hands on some Squeaky Beans tuna, beyond excited (also, got it on offer with Nectar šŸ„°). Will report back once tried.
---

I love getting festive foods for the freezer on Boxing Day/NY day šŸ˜ Yellow sticker food sale makes me more happy than clothes/makeup/skincare sale these days haha (it must be combination of being well into my thirties and trying to survive the cost of living crisis)
Haha yes I love it! Who needs Lush bath bombs? Just give me the discounted food please šŸ„°

I wish I had a bigger freezer, I always have to play Tetris after a late night food shop because I canā€™t resist a yellow sticker!

Everythingā€™s so expensive now, we have to get our thrills from somewhere, donā€™t we? šŸ˜…

P.s the squeaky beans chicken is SO good. Iā€™m excited to hear what their tuna is like!

• Heart
---

---

So nice to have someone like this locally, the menu sounds stunning ā¤
Love a yellow sticker barg! šŸ’›

M&S had them in.
I can never find anything in m&s , everything just seems dotted about. I don't think any of the other customers could find anything either by the way everyone was just wandering about .
I might look in the food only one.

Reactions: 1