Unpopular opinions #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But it wasn’t “a miracle” - it was a mixture of luck & medical intervention. The outcome would have been the same had the 3 trips to Knock never happened. Same as those who go to Lourdes to seek help for whatever it is they feel they need intervention with.
Yes in the real world but if it’s devine intervention she was after then her prayers were answered .

Reactions: 3
I believe you can have spirituality and faith and neighbourly community values, but.... religion is a manmade construct used to justify patriarchy and power. Just look how the women, children, poor people, people of other countries than the religious power of the time are treated and have been treated in history. Ideology is bad, whereas helping your neighbour grieve is nice.
I grew up having to go to church twice on Sundays all my childhood, as an adult i’ve left it all behind as mostly what i got out of it was people trying to out-do each other in terms of piety and preech that women should submit to men, etc etc. I can’t be arsed with submitting to what a religion says I should do.

TLDR; I think you can separate faith and religion. You can be a nice neighbour and a functional member of society without submitting to religious doctrine.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
No-one, and I mean absolutely not a single soul, gives a duck if your baby is X months old with the photo of them lay down on their back next to the flash card that announces it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
I just don’t know how people can buy into that?! There is only the “real world”…..!
One we can see! But there’s a lot of people believe in the spiritual world heaven and hell are something we’re taught about from a young age .I mean I’m probably going to the place were global warming is not an issue with all my tattling I may or may not see some of you down there ,only those that believe of course 😉

Reactions: 5
But religion IS about power. Religion is used and has been used for millennia to control the masses; that’s one of the fundamental things about it, it was used as a tool to get the people to behave in a way that was deemed appropriate by whichever governing body was in power at the time. If you can’t make a group of people believe in a higher power - you can control them and therefore make them do whatever you want. As history has proven time & time again. Also, churches/religious groups are so full of horseshit it’s unbelievable. One
Of the most powerful and wealthiest groups on earth is the Catholic Church - if they wanted to, they could end world hunger and put and end to world poverty etc etc etc but they don’t!
Largescale cooperation can be a good thing. Yuval noah harari makes a good point about religion in his book Sapiens. When we all work to a “common cause” whether that be a religious, political or an ideological ideal - we progress more. We are working together instead of bickering and fighting in small groups and tribes. His book has a lot of questionable points but that’s a fair one - religion united the masses for the better in the grand scheme of things. Controversial, I know.

You did say christianity which includes catholics, protestants, orthodox etc.. I can't speak for any of the other branches of christianity but I was brought to mass every Sunday until I was about 12/13. I was dragged kicking and screaming to mass 😂 my parents stopped going when my siblings and I said no more! 😂 I still wonder why would they be so adament on bringing their children to something they don't even really believe in. If anything dragging me to mass made me resent a religion that I didn't sign up for, then as a teenager I learned the horrors of my parents generation with the church and that was just it for me.
Some people find a lot of happiness in religion and that's great but me personally, I couldnt think of anything worse than going to mass 🤣
i hated being dragged to it as a kid/teen too. But there were a lot of things I hated as a kid. Eating veggies, going to bed early etc, that I can appreciate as a adult.

being taken as a kid to church has helped me be more open minded in adulthood I feel, and a bit more in touch with spirituality which in turn, has provided me with an element of comfort that cold hard scientific fact doesn’t.

Reactions: 6
But surely it's better growing up knowing your father is someone who donated their sperm to help others, than someone who has actually chosen not to to be in your life? Surely that's much more painful and damaging to a child.

There are millions of single mothers, why should these single mother's get beaten with the "you should've just got a pet" stick? I think women who have children with wholly unsuitable men, who display red flags in a relationship are the selfish ones.

Besides which, having a child through a donor sperm is emotionally a very hard, and expensive process, which isn't done lightly. These women will love their children so much because they fought to have them, and have the means to bring them up well. I would rather grow up so loved & wanted by 1 parent, than just be brought into the world because mum wasn't careful with contraception, couldn't afford a 3rd child, or even worse, wanted to stay on benefits.
I understand your point and don’t want to criticise single mothers. I was raised by one myself. I also don’t doubt that mothers who use donors love their children. We have so little conclusive knowledge of the impact of being donor conceived on children though.

I’m not sure that all men who donate sperm are doing altruistically either. Money can be involved, never mind ego. And then we’re right back the commodification of children.

Reactions: 1
They have ruined Ribena. It used to be nectar of the gods. I would rather treat myself to 1 can of full sugar cola a week than have drinks with sweeteners in every day - the flavour is just not there - they taste chalky to me.
Yes Ribena is another one! Fanta too. Sweeteners have a bitter taste to me, it’s so odd. It annoys me because most of the brands do no sugar/light versions of their originals that you can choose if you want to avoid sugar so they should leave the originals alone and charge a little more to accommodate the ‘tax’. The only ones that don’t seem to have been touched are Pepsi and Coca Cola.

There was a period of time where you couldn’t get ‘full sugar’ cola from some restaurants. They only had diet, that really annoyed me because it felt like I was being molly coddled and I don’t drink alcohol so having a glass of Pepsi or Coke was my treat when out for a meal. Seems like most places have learnt now and put the full sugar stuff back on the menu.

Reactions: 7
Religion is weird when it starts to divide the sexes - men and women can’t worship in the same area, only men can bury the dead, women have to cover their hair to stop men getting all flustered. It’s really sexist.

Reactions: 15
In between the serious conversation around men spunking into cups so they can afford the latest iPhone and a pizza.
And the questions around religion…

I miss chocolate Philadelphia 😕
And penguin flipper dippers.

Reactions: 11
I believe you can have spirituality and faith and neighbourly community values, but.... religion is a manmade construct used to justify patriarchy and power. Just look how the women, children, poor people, people of other countries than the religious power of the time are treated and have been treated in history. Ideology is bad, whereas helping your neighbour grieve is nice.
I grew up having to go to church twice on Sundays all my childhood, as an adult i’ve left it all behind as mostly what i got out of it was people trying to out-do each other in terms of piety and preech that women should submit to men, etc etc. I can’t be arsed with submitting to what a religion says I should do.

TLDR; I think you can separate faith and religion. You can be a nice neighbour and a functional member of society without submitting to religious doctrine.
I'm not of any religion but am spiritual. I don't believe in "god" as a man sitting on a throne with good people next to him etc but in the source and the fact we are all one, I do believing in the power of faith and good and sending people healing/love etc works.

• Heart
In between the serious conversation around men spunking into cups so they can afford the latest iPhone and a pizza.

i phone and a pizza :ROFLMAO:

Wait, there’s such a thing as Chocolate Philadelphia? Omg *searches for local stockists immediately*

Reactions: 1
i phone and a pizza :ROFLMAO:
can you imagine knowing daddy handed over his goods for the iPhone 13 pro maxi and a meat feast/garlic bread combo.

the Garlic Mayo isn’t looking so appealing in the middle of this conversation 😐

Wait, there’s such a thing as Chocolate Philadelphia? Omg *searches for local stockists immediately*
I wish 😏 they discontinued it…..

B2895467-7B15-4A58-9B8C-28E0489F771D.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Heart
I'm pretty sure it still exists in continental Europe

I hate people that invent different spellings of names for their children, Jazzmyn for example. completely pointless as the pronunciation is the same and just means your child will spend their whole life having to spell out their name for people

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Jazzmyn for example. completely pointless as the pronunciation is the same and just means your child will spend their whole life having to spell out their name for people
yeah, I’m pretty sure when Jazzmyn is working her way around the stripper poll the clientele don’t worry about spelling her name out, it’s probably stitched to her knickers 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
You did say christianity which includes catholics, protestants, orthodox etc.. I can't speak for any of the other branches of christianity but I was brought to mass every Sunday until I was about 12/13. I was dragged kicking and screaming to mass 😂 my parents stopped going when my siblings and I said no more! 😂 I still wonder why would they be so adament on bringing their children to something they don't even really believe in. If anything dragging me to mass made me resent a religion that I didn't sign up for, then as a teenager I learned the horrors of my parents generation with the church and that was just it for me.
Some people find a lot of happiness in religion and that's great but me personally, I couldnt think of anything worse than going to mass 🤣
I love that I’m debating Christianity with Jesus 😂 I thought you’d be for the church!? 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Largescale cooperation can be a good thing. Yuval noah harari makes a good point about religion in his book Sapiens. When we all work to a “common cause” whether that be a religious, political or an ideological ideal - we progress more. We are working together instead of bickering and fighting in small groups and tribes. His book has a lot of questionable points but that’s a fair one - religion united the masses for the better in the grand scheme of things. Controversial, I know.

i hated being dragged to it as a kid/teen too. But there were a lot of things I hated as a kid. Eating veggies, going to bed early etc, that I can appreciate as a adult.

being taken as a kid to church has helped me be more open minded in adulthood I feel, and a bit more in touch with spirituality which in turn, has provided me with an element of comfort that cold hard scientific fact doesn’t.
I think as you get older you appreciate it more ,especially when life throws you a curve ball .I'm not overly religious but I need it sometimes .

Reactions: 4
Naming your Son after their father is really boring. Example: Dad is called David and his son is called David junior. Not only is it confusing as the child gets older, it’s sooooo unimaginative.

Reactions: 15
Naming your Son after their father is really boring. Example: Dad is called David and his son is called David junior. Not only is it confusing as the child gets older, it’s sooooo unimaginative.
And it is never after the mother either, strikes me as really narcissistic

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.