Unpopular opinions #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How does a situation like that even arise? Did

I couldn't imagine in a million years going to my colleagues and saying 'Hey, come and take a look at the massive tit someone left in the bathroom!'
Never say never! I was even gonna call Norris McWhirter šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 4
When people are spending large amounts of their time on their religion or worse paying chunks of their salary to the church, itā€™s not harmless. Refusing medical treatment, especially for your child, in the name of religion is batshit and dangerous.

Thatā€™s before the utterly despicable wars and terror in the name of religion.

Reactions: 23
People who credit religion with saving people from illness make me cringe. My BIL had leukaemia as a child which he recovered from - his mother credits some visit to Knock in Ireland not the hard work of the doctors, the surgery or chemo. She went on and on about it then revealed they took three trips to Knock - to which I asked why it didn't work after the first trip .... :unsure: :cautious:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Iā€™d like to add Iā€™m a complete hypocrite because I love a church wedding (any religion) or a baptism. I also adore Christmas Carol services.

Reactions: 8
I'd ban vaping in public as well. I don't care that that big cloud of carcinogenic chemicals you're blowing in my face smells of cherries or bananas and custard or whatever, it's still gonna give you cancer and I don't want it as well!

• Heart
Reactions: 33
When people are spending large amounts of their time on their religion or worse paying chunks of their salary to the church, itā€™s not harmless. Refusing medical treatment, especially for your child, in the name of religion is batshit and dangerous.

Thatā€™s before the utterly despicable wars and terror in the name of religion.
agreed on the above.

none of those things are really about religion though. Insidious people hijack religion and use it as an excuse for coercion, control and gaining power/money.

wars arenā€™t started because of religion because no religion truly advocates war (to my knowledge). It comes down to people being territorial, selfish and aggressive and using religion as a way to facilitate it.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I once got locked in a toilet cubicle at work new job so I was shy and I panicked and climbed over the connecting wall using the loo roll dispenser as leverage. Later on the caretaker had to open the door and all these women crowded around gasping as I had left loo roll coveting the toilet seat to protect my bum from germs as I piddled. Anyway, a woman who claimed she was psychic was saying " I always knew there was a weird presence there, never liked going in that one"

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I also think panicking and having a baby with a totally unsuitable man because the biological clock is ticking is actually a worse idea. I have a few friends in this situation, successful women who have never met 'the one', now reaching mid-late 30s, and are freezing their eggs. Far better this, and potentially use a donor than rush a relationship with the next seemingly suitable man and it all falling apart quickly. Is just my take. At least the child will know how wanted and loved they are by their mother that she would go to those lengths to have them - than have a half-arsed Dad that pops in and out of their lives because they felt she 'trapped' him to have a baby.
I once got locked in a toilet cubicle at work new job so I was shy and I panicked and climbed over the connecting wall using the loo roll dispenser as leverage. Later on the caretaker had to open the door and all these women crowded around gasping as I had left loo roll coveting the toilet seat to protect my bum from germs as I piddled. Anyway, a woman who claimed she was psychic was saying " I always knew there was a weird presence there, never liked going in that one"
i would have started to play up to.it and pretend to see ghosts etc šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 5
agreed on the above.

none of those things are really about religion though. Insidious people hijack religion and use it as an excuse for coercion, control and gaining power/money.

wars arenā€™t started because of religion because no religion truly advocates war (to my knowledge). It comes down to people being territorial, selfish and aggressive and using religion as a way to facilitate it.
All of religion is just hijacked though. Even the ā€œgoodā€ stuff.

Reactions: 1
agreed on the above.

100% this. I come from a Muslim background. People read the Daily Mail or watch news about terrorist attacks and assume that all Muslims are the same, and that all atrocities in the world are committed by us. When my grandfather died, I went to Mosque for the first time in my life for his funeral. Apart from it being very crowded, it was a wonderful experience. We wore hijab, but the majority of my family either don't wear it every day or choose to wear it. To me it's akin to Jewish men wearing a yarmulke to Synagogue.

A few years back there was uproar at a local school that wanted to take children to a Mosque for RE class and the parents were dead against it, and I fail to see how opening your mind a little bit to other religions is a bad thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I really donā€™t like Primark. The clothes are mostly horrible, poorly made, ill fitting, cheap and nasty.
Itā€™s so hit and miss. Some stuff is cute but some of the skirts slide about šŸ˜‚ Before you know it is on back to front but if you size down it doesnā€™t cover your arse.

Similar to this Zara is overrated. Theyā€™re just H&M with a higher price. Shite fit, they just stick any label on them, half the clothes are boring and if theyā€™re not boring theyā€™re impracticalā€¦ oh finally a cute top thatā€™s not a dull colourā€¦oh wait, if I turn too quickly my tit will fall out and Iā€™ll be arrested for flashing šŸ¤£

Same with Oh Polly. Like how do you stay IN those dresses. My B cups would have flopped out in about20 minutes. Iā€™m not a skinnygirl but Iā€™m not plus size eitherā€¦ that silk material reminds me of night dresses too šŸ¤£

Everyone raves about them

Reactions: 7
People who have their dogs at their weddings are incredibly odd.

Pugs should all be put on a rocket and sent to space forever, the whole breed is a birth defect and inbred.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
agreed on the above.

But religion IS about power. Religion is used and has been used for millennia to control the masses; thatā€™s one of the fundamental things about it, it was used as a tool to get the people to behave in a way that was deemed appropriate by whichever governing body was in power at the time. If you canā€™t make a group of people believe in a higher power - you can control them and therefore make them do whatever you want. As history has proven time & time again. Also, churches/religious groups are so full of horseshit itā€™s unbelievable. One
Of the most powerful and wealthiest groups on earth is the Catholic Church - if they wanted to, they could end world hunger and put and end to world poverty etc etc etc but they donā€™t!

Reactions: 9
People who credit religion with saving people from illness make me cringe. My BIL had leukaemia as a child which he recovered from - his mother credits some visit to Knock in Ireland not the hard work of the doctors, the surgery or chemo. She went on and on about it then revealed they took three trips to Knock - to which I asked why it didn't work after the first trip .... :unsure: :cautious:
For me thatā€™s what religious faith is not what you can see but the comfort you get from it, if your MIL got her prayers answered and that miracle then itā€™s done itā€™s job .Thereā€™s thousands travel to Lourdes every year hoping for the same thing if you donā€™t believe you wouldnā€™t understand it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I wasnā€™t talking about the Catholic Church, as someone who was brought up as a Rangers fan you wouldnā€™t catch me dead in a Catholic Church. šŸ˜‚
As I said I think itā€™s a great thing to have faith and something that mabye gives you more meaning in life rather than just the shallow society we live in today. As the other poster said that Iā€™m part of the problem if I donā€™t go, yeah I am thatā€™s why Iv thought about going to church before but I never have, I wasnā€™t brought up with religion we spent Sunday morning in pyjamas watching tv as most families do. I think itā€™s nice that families get up, dressed and go to church together on a Sunday, you probably get more adults that spend their Sunday morning recovering from a cocaine and alcohol binge the night before than going to church. Obviously not everyone is going to agree with that but that why I posted it on the unpopular opinion thread šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
You did say christianity which includes catholics, protestants, orthodox etc.. I can't speak for any of the other branches of christianity but I was brought to mass every Sunday until I was about 12/13. I was dragged kicking and screaming to mass šŸ˜‚ my parents stopped going when my siblings and I said no more! šŸ˜‚ I still wonder why would they be so adament on bringing their children to something they don't even really believe in. If anything dragging me to mass made me resent a religion that I didn't sign up for, then as a teenager I learned the horrors of my parents generation with the church and that was just it for me.
Some people find a lot of happiness in religion and that's great but me personally, I couldnt think of anything worse than going to mass šŸ¤£

Reactions: 3
The sugar tax has ruined many soft drinks. Bought some Dr Pepper for the first time in a while, the original version not the ā€˜dietā€™ version and it tastes nothing like it used to because theyā€™ve reduced the amount of sugar and put sweeteners in. Wonā€™t be buying that again any time soon.
They have ruined Ribena. It used to be nectar of the gods. I would rather treat myself to 1 can of full sugar cola a week than have drinks with sweeteners in every day - the flavour is just not there - they taste chalky to me.

Reactions: 12
For me thatā€™s what religious faith is not what you can see but the comfort you get from it, if your MIL got her prayers answered and that miracle then itā€™s done itā€™s job .Thereā€™s thousands travel to Lourdes every year hoping for the same thing if you donā€™t believe you wouldnā€™t understand it.
But it wasnā€™t ā€œa miracleā€ - it was a mixture of luck & medical intervention. The outcome would have been the same had the 3 trips to Knock never happened. Same as those who go to Lourdes to seek help for whatever it is they feel they need intervention with.

Reactions: 4
I'd ban vaping in public as well. I don't care that that big cloud of carcinogenic chemicals you're blowing in my face smells of cherries or bananas and custard or whatever, it's still gonna give you cancer and I don't want it as well!
Exactly, I read it clogs your lungs up with oils that your lungs donā€™t know how to get rid of. If you are going to quit smoking, use patches, vaping should not be the alternative.

Reactions: 2
But religion IS about power. Religion is used and has been used for millennia to control the masses; thatā€™s one of the fundamental things about it, it was used as a tool to get the people to behave in a way that was deemed appropriate by whichever governing body was in power at the time. If you canā€™t make a group of people believe in a higher power - you can control them and therefore make them do whatever you want. As history has proven time & time again. Also, churches/religious groups are so full of horseshit itā€™s unbelievable. One
Of the most powerful and wealthiest groups on earth is the Catholic Church - if they wanted to, they could end world hunger and put and end to world poverty etc etc etc but they donā€™t!
The little known third verse of popular hymn All Things Bright and Beautiful sums it up nicely:

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
God made them, high or lowly,
And ordered their estate.

In other words, donā€™t question authority plebs.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.