Unpopular opinions #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
See, I call myself English over British but I wouldn’t feel comfortable flying the English flag. 1) because it’s ugly. Like no thought went into it. And 2) it’s been hijacked by football thugs and the right wing morons. It’s a bit of a chavvy flag.

Damn, when it’s written like that, my people suck.
I think in the UK as a whole we have very poor knowledge of our role in the world. German kids learn about hitler, they get taken to concentration camps and taught "we did this. We cannot let this happen again". I left school with 0 knowledge of Britain and what it did to other countries. I did British History A-level and we only did the monarchy and the parliamentary system. There was outrage when those slave owner statues were pulled down and arguably if people had actually known the real history behind it, there would have been far less outrage and far more shame. I think that's a lot of the issues with the opinion of Britain across the world, especially in Europe. I think we come across as arrogant because we haven't learnt our past or learnt from it. We're still stuck in "we're the greatest country (England) in the world"

Reactions: 9
To be fair, a lot of British nations had to fight the English to be allowed to have their own culture etc so I'd imagine that's why. A lot of my Welsh pride comes from growing up learning about how we were thrown in jail for speaking welsh, killed for land, how the English monarchy came and killed our royals, kidnapped the last princess of Wales and locked her in a tower before forcing her into a convent so that the line would die, demolished our towns to make room for reservoirs for English people (and then charged us double for the water), shut the mines so people lived in poverty (many mining towns are still very low income communities here).
I'd imagine the Scottish and the Irish have similar stories. It's not that we hold grudges (except when it comes to the rugby 🤣 ) but I guess when you grow up learning that the people before you fought to be welsh (I did my education through the medium of welsh with quite nationalist teachers honestly) then flying a flag does feel like a victory.
We’re only allowed to learn about British history in schools even though we’re literally living on the Island of Ireland, although they’re now in the process of allowing “The Troubles “ to be taught as part of the curriculum Irish history was never really touched upon.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I agree, I think of myself as Scottish. I was highly amused (no objection btw) by the petitions from the north of England wanting to come with us during the independence referendum.

It’s often clear in the media when they use terms like Britain/British they are actually only referring to England.
agreed. Often I think when the media refer to England they just mean London 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Migrants arriving across the Channel from France should be sent back ( I don't mean turned round there and then though!) They have paid traffickers a lot of money to arrive in the UK. It would be cheaper for them to buy a ticket via air travel and appeal for asylum on presentation at the border. Then they can be processed fairly and in order of urgency. When arriving by boat many just disappear never to be seen again. Many more get immediate housing and money. We are a laughing stock for our lack of control.

Reactions: 22
Exactly. Although I'd go one step further and say I'd rather not know if I had a terminal illness and would prefer to just keel over one day, even if knowing and having treatment could prolong my life for a bit.
I feel the exact same way. I’d rather be blissfully unaware.

Reactions: 4
Migrants arriving across the Channel from France should be sent back ( I don't mean turned round there and then though!) They have paid traffickers a lot of money to arrive in the UK. It would be cheaper for them to buy a ticket via air travel and appeal for asylum on presentation at the border. Then they can be processed fairly and in order of urgency. When arriving by boat many just disappear never to be seen again. Many more get immediate housing and money. We are a laughing stock for our lack of control.
It’s always a large amount of men too. Said the same thing when they were evacuating Afghanistan, the first load of planes had one or two women and the rest were all young men.

Reactions: 16
I’d go a step further and say I don’t believe in non binary. I think people who don’t fit into traditional feminine or masculine traits think they’re different but really it’s just life we’re all different.

I will always respect other people who identify as non binary and anything else for that matter and wouldn’t direct hate towards them, they can do whatever they want it’s none of my business but I don’t believe non binary is a thing.

*it’s my unpopular opinion*
Totally agree on all accounts. Treat people with kindness but that doesn’t mean I don’t think non binary isn’t a thing because I don’t believe it is.

Reactions: 13
Over feeding your kids to the point that they’re massively obese is a form of child abuse. It makes me so sad that at least half of my child’s class in primary school are extremely overweight. And their parents are always very overweight so what exactly is going on; are they normalising their own weight problems by making everyone around them overweight? Or are they so blind to their poor relationship with food that they can’t help but pass it on to their kids? Either way, no child asks to be overweight & not be able to fit into fun clothes or football kids (yes, I’ve seen 8 year olds having to wear adult kits as they’re so big) they face a lifetime of problems around food because when they get older if they want to lose weight, it is harder to practice portion control, they’ll have problems with loose skin when the weight comes off. Children can’t regulate what they eat, parents are here to do what’s best for their health, so to put these life long issues onto innocent kids is abusive, imo.

Reactions: 34
Don’t all come for me at once 😰

but London is the centre of the UK’s wealth and subsidises the rest of the UK That’s… pretty much fact. Londoners and those in the south east pay more in taxes than they claim. The only residents of the U.K. who do so. Article on this here

IMO People who pretend London steals wealth from the likes of Scotland to further their own agenda for Scotland are, well, pretty scary…

And I’m not saying it’s necessarily a good thing the U.K. is so London centric. But it would take hundreds of years, before any other U.K. city could compare.

because London isn’t just the UK’s main city. It’s one of the biggest players on the world stage and has been for several hundred years.

Capitalism (the form of economics dominant in the world) has its foundations in the merchant banks in London. The banking district is still arguably, the primary banking district in the world. It’s hard to really grasp just how big a deal London as a city. There are few, maybe even none, that can rival it in the world in terms of historical and global impact.

Reactions: 7

but London is the centre of the UK’s wealth and subsidises the rest of the UK That’s… pretty much fact. Londoners and those in the south east pay more in taxes than they claim. The only residents of the U.K. who do so. Article on this here

IMO People who pretend London steals wealth from the likes of Scotland to further their own agenda for Scotland are, well, pretty scary…

And I’m not saying it’s necessarily a good thing the U.K. is so London centric. But it would take hundreds of years, before any other U.K. city could compare.

because London isn’t just the UK’s main city. It’s one of the biggest players on the world stage and has been for several hundred years.

Capitalism (the form of economics dominant in the world) has its foundations in the merchant banks in London. The banking district is still arguably, the primary banking district in the world. It’s hard to really grasp just how big a deal London as a city. There are few, maybe even none, that can rival it in the world in terms of historical and global impact.
I stand by what I said in an earlier thread. London is a kip and the people aren’t that friendly. Northerners are much nice and Manchester and Liverpool are more entertaining cities.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

I agree with you and no one can argue the power of London (I love London)
What I mean when I say London centric is that often the media will discuss issues in the UK and the solution will be very London centric. For example the Sarah Everard, flag down a bus advice. It's very London centric advice as very few cities in the UK have buses that run as often as London do.

Reactions: 9
I stand by what I said in an earlier thread. London is a kip and the people aren’t that friendly. Northerners are much nice and Manchester and Liverpool are more entertaining cities.
i agree, London is definitely not friendly.

but they are the money makers!

This was my mum too. My dad had me twice a week (admittedly when it was convenient for him!) and every weekend she'd palm me off with whatever family member would have me (usually the man she was seeing's parents). She owned a pub so throughout the week, she was downstairs most of the time while I was upstairs alone, did my homework, packed my lunch, put myself to bed etc. She bangs on about how she did alone but brutal honesty, if anyone did it alone, it was me 🤷‍♀️ 🤣

Side and probably very petty note: Every Mother and Father's Day since I was about 20, I buy myself a present as a congratulations to myself for raising myself 🤣
I was essentially raised by my grandparents. I still buy my parents mother/Father’s Day cards but I’m always super particular with the wording. I never ever get them a card that says “best mum/dad” or “I’m so lucky to have you”. It’s always just “happy X day”

that’s my level of pettiness :LOL: I do sometimes wonder if they’ve ever noticed

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The north and south of England are so busy arguing between themselves that the Midlands gets completely forgotten about.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
i agree, London is definitely not friendly.

but they are the money makers!

I was essentially raised by my grandparents. I still buy my parents mother/Father’s Day cards but I’m always super particular with the wording. I never ever get them a card that says “best mum/dad” or “I’m so lucky to have you”. It’s always just “happy X day”

that’s my level of pettiness :LOL: I do sometimes wonder if they’ve ever noticed
I am so glad someone is on my level cause I am the same way! I buy them cards for a quiet life but it'll be 29p with happy *insert day* and as basic and as blank inside as I can make it 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I find Marcus Rashford annoying. Obviously its good he uses his platform for good, but at the same time I sort of find him a bit hypocritical in a way (I dont think footballers should be paid as much as they are for playing a game).

Sorry. *hides*

Reactions: 16
I think in the UK as a whole we have very poor knowledge of our role in the world. German kids learn about hitler, they get taken to concentration camps and taught "we did this. We cannot let this happen again". I left school with 0 knowledge of Britain and what it did to other countries. I did British History A-level and we only did the monarchy and the parliamentary system. There was outrage when those slave owner statues were pulled down and arguably if people had actually known the real history behind it, there would have been far less outrage and far more shame. I think that's a lot of the issues with the opinion of Britain across the world, especially in Europe. I think we come across as arrogant because we haven't learnt our past or learnt from it. We're still stuck in "we're the greatest country (England) in the world"
I agree with this. I also only remember learning about the Tudors, and the Victorians mainly. The British also created the first concentration camps during the Boer wars. Also opened fire on unarmed civilians in India killing 300+ in Amritsar.

Reactions: 3
I find Marcus Rashford annoying. Obviously its good he uses his platform for good, but at the same time I sort of find him a bit hypocritical in a way (I dont think footballers should be paid as much as they are for playing a game).

Sorry. *hides*
Interesting take there, do you not think him using his status to get attention to this redeems the salary he is likely getting?

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.