Unpopular opinions #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I guess so many people can be racist but are reaallly good at getting close to the line but not going across it and good at hiding their racism.

so if you’re a minority group, then it could feel like you’re under attack from all sides and it’s easy to be mistrustful.

same as when so many misogynists are good at concealing it, but you just know they dislike/hate/look down upon you for being female.

you know what the are in your gut but gut instinct isn’t really enough to call them out on it and be believed
Fair enough but I find that in a lot of cases of "you can't say that, it's racist" actually comes from white people whereas black people wouldn't give two shites if someone didn't like a black singer vocally

Reactions: 5
I guess so many people can be racist but are reaallly good at getting close to the line but not going across it and good at hiding their racism.

so if you’re a minority group, then it could feel like you’re under attack from all sides and it’s easy to be mistrustful.

same as when so many misogynists are good at concealing it, but you just know they dislike/hate/look down upon you for being female.

you know what the are in your gut but gut instinct isn’t really enough to call them out on it and be believed
For sure, I don't doubt it must be a horrendous feeling beyond belief. But I think we breed an even more hateful world when we start throwing around racism accusations just because the person criticised happens to be in a minority group.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
People can do what they want as long as their actions don't directly harm someone else. This extends to choosing whether or not to observe Remembrance Day or wear a poppy, outwardly perpetuate a gender which does not correspond with the genitals you were born with, use whatever pronouns you wish.

I don't see the issue with using terms such as "people with cervixes" as someone could be born with a cervix and consider themselves he / him. No one has the authority to dictate how someone else chooses to present.

I don't think it's the erosion of womanhood to use these terms either. I'm a woman with a cervix and would refer to myself as such but I recognise to refer to people collectively different terms are sometimes needed.

It's a load of hot air when people get mad about it as it doesn't affect then in any way whatsoever.

Immigration is good for the country. I've lived in some of the most ethnically diverse bits of the UK and have never been negatively impacted by it. It's used as a red herring by the elite as it's easy to point to groups of people and say "you're not well off because of them". The reason why you're not doing well at life or services aren't properly funded isn't because some migrant on a boat has arrived.
I disagree about the cervix thing. What about people who don't speak English as their first language or poor English, etc. Not to mention that adult literacy can be low in general. That's why woman is the best thing as everyone understands that. Someone can absolutely identify as he/ him but they have no right to dictate that the word woman shouldn't be used when that word will resonate with most of the population

• Heart
Reactions: 18
If you’re a bleeping twit, and you’re black, you’re a bleeping twit,
You’re not a bleeping twit BECAUSE you’re black, you’re just a bleeping twit.

I’m sick of this “get out of jail free” protection around certain members of society, trans, black etc.

sometimes you’re called out for being a tit person, not because of your sexual preferences, your race, your sex change 🤷‍♀️ just because you’re a tit person!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 32
People can do what they want as long as their actions don't directly harm someone else. This extends to choosing whether or not to observe Remembrance Day or wear a poppy, outwardly perpetuate a gender which does not correspond with the genitals you were born with, use whatever pronouns you wish.

I don't see the issue with using terms such as "people with cervixes" as someone could be born with a cervix and consider themselves he / him. No one has the authority to dictate how someone else chooses to present.

I don't think it's the erosion of womanhood to use these terms either. I'm a woman with a cervix and would refer to myself as such but I recognise to refer to people collectively different terms are sometimes needed.

It's a load of hot air when people get mad about it as it doesn't affect then in any way whatsoever.

Immigration is good for the country. I've lived in some of the most ethnically diverse bits of the UK and have never been negatively impacted by it. It's used as a red herring by the elite as it's easy to point to groups of people and say "you're not well off because of them". The reason why you're not doing well at life or services aren't properly funded isn't because some migrant on a boat has arrived.

Speak for yourself.

I am a woman and I do not want to be reduced down to being a 'cervix haver'. It's a fairy tale and it's the sinister erosion of the rights that women have fought so hard for. If you don't have a cervix, (unless it has been removed for medical reasons) then you are a man, just as if you have a penis but 'self identify' as a woman you are a man and I don't want you in my personal intimate space when I am changing clothes or going to the toilet.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I disagree about the cervix thing. What about people who English isn't their first language or poor English, etc. Not to mention that adult literacy can be low in general. That's why woman is the best thing as everyone understands that. Someone can absolutely identify as he/ him but they have no right to dictate that the word woman shouldn't be used when that word will resonate with most of the population
Isn't it more a case that we should then be making sure people have a good comprehension of the English language in the UK? Most people I know who have come from overseas have grasped it even if English is not their first language and it's not a difficult concept to understand once you know a bit of English.

Reactions: 2
You can respect that people who use him/they pronouns may have issues with periods etc but it’s not transphobic to refer to those things as women’s health issues. The overwhelming majority of people who will have to deal with this stuff are women.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Isn't it more a case that we should then be making sure people have a good comprehension of the English language in the UK? Most people I know who have come from overseas have grasped it even if English is not their first language and it's not a difficult concept to understand once you know a bit of English.

Shouldn't we just stop pandering to Stonewall and call things what they actually are rather than what they want to be?

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I don’t think a lot of the opinions on this thread RE women’s rights being protected/trans issues are unpopular

i think it’s just the case a lot of people are scared to say it openly.

crazy how the trans lobby has gained so much traction in such a short time. I do sometimes wonder if it’s even to trans peoples’ benefit.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

I understand where you’re coming from and
I get that.

I do think though if we’re truly treating everyone equally we should freely be able to say I don’t like her singing voice and not be accused of racism because they don’t dislike them because of their ethnicity they dislike their voice. Same if someone was to say about a person who happened to be gay, I don’t like their attitude - they don’t dislike them because they’re gay they dislike them because they didn’t like their attitude but they could be accused of being homophobic.

I feel like I need to tread on eggshells when mentioning anything remotely critical if the person involved is of colour or not heterosexual even though I know I’m not racist or hateful towards others who have different sexual preferences.

We live in a society where it’s popular to be offended.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Speak for yourself.

I am a woman and I do not want to be reduced down to being a 'cervix haver'. It's a fairy tale and it's the sinister erosion of the rights that women have fought so hard for. If you don't have a cervix, (unless it has been removed for medical reasons) then you are a man, just as if you have a penis but 'self identify' as a woman you are a man and I don't want you in my personal intimate space when I am changing clothes or going to the toilet.
What if you have a cervix but don't want to be called a woman? What gives you the authority to choose how people should refer to themselves as?

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Expecting 99%+ of the population to stop calling people what they are man/woman, because you can't accept what you are man/woman, is unbelievable narcissism.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I've lived in some of the most ethnically diverse bits of the UK and have never been negatively impacted by it.
That pretty much smacks of ‘I haven’t experienced it therefore it doesn’t matter’
The word women being replaced with persons and the women only spaces becoming gender neutral does affect people in lots of ways 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 20
By the same token what gives them the right to demand that the word woman not be used?

They, be that I presume you mean transgender people, aren’t demanding anything. It’s individuals on Twitter and lobby groups. If we could just stop giving stupid people with a keyboard the attention they crave things would be easier. Believe me most trans people have bigger fish to fry than seeing the word woman on a box of tampons.

Reactions: 4
Expecting 99%+ of the population to stop calling people what they are man/woman, because you can't accept what you are man/woman, is unbelievable narcissism. I
Exactly. There was a post earlier from someone who mentioned her friend was doing a talk on domestic violence and she was pulled up on the use of the word 'woman'. It's insanity

Reactions: 8
What if you have a cervix but don't want to be called a woman? What gives you the authority to choose how people should refer to themselves as?
I think this issue would be a lot less contentious if men's health and other similar issues referred to "people with a prostate" or "people with a penis", however it tends to not be the case for whatever reason.

Reactions: 11
Brass bands should be banned from playing publicly. What they do in their own time in their own homes and halls etc is totally up to them. Why should members of the public have to listen to that utter racket when they are out doing their shopping etc.
Also brass bands should be banned from applying to the Lottery for funding. No one even likes them and they should pay for themselves out of their own pocket.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.