Unpopular Opinions #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The inheritance tax threshold should be lowered to £250k. No one needs to inherit a million pounds tax free.

I'd say tax rates are too low (for those earning 80k and above) and there are too many ways of avoiding or minimizing tax that are exploited by the wealthy.
If you’re self employed, yes, there are legal ways of reducing your tax bill. If you’re PAYE you’ll be paying the full whack.

Reactions: 2
Yes! People look at me with a pity face when I say I spend Christmas alone. The alternative is being with a family I don’t actually like. I love Christmas alone. I can float about, watch tv, make my food, I don’t have to fake enthusiasm for tit presents and most importantly, I’m not spending the day counting down hours for the appropriate time to leave.

I find New Year’s Eve the worst for social expectations. It’d be interesting to know the statistics of mental health crisis’ that happen then vs any other night of the year. Too many people feel that they need to do something huge which never lives up to expectations and it makes those stuck at home alone feel like tit because they don’t have anyone to spend it with. On top that, you go into the long cold month of January hungover and skint. I used to hate it, I got much better about it when I stopped feeling the expectation and now enjoy watching films at home and watching the fireworks on the tele
All of this, some people don't get that some people WANT to spend the day alone. And going out on NYE is overrated

Reactions: 10
I'd be careful trying to get around inheritance tax by buying gold and gifting it. The problem comes when trying to do anything with that money.

All financial services providers are obliged to carry out 'know your customer' checks to reduce crimes like money laundering, fraud, etc. One of those checks is asking customers the source of their wealth. If you lie, that's fraud, and if you tell the truth (i.e. I was gifted this by X) they'll start digging.
When I get asked by banks when doing transactions I tell them some vague bullshit. They have to ask but there Is no obligation on you to tell them the truth.

Reactions: 4
Christmas is dreadful for social expectations. I actually detest it. I haven't been to my mums house for Christmas Day in years as my husband and I love to do a fun day at home just the two of us where we watch things and eat what we want and go for a lovely walk and yet every year she gets the same awful expression and asks, shocked, "you're doing Christmas just the two of you?!" we literally couldn't care less about it as a holiday and literally only look forward to the time off
We stay at home both days, on our own. Bliss. No visitors or visiting. Have done so for the last 7 or 8 years now. Will not be going back.

Reactions: 5
New Years just isn’t that big of a deal these days. I don’t get why people even celebrate it. Is it simply that you’ve survived to see another year? Celebrating more of the same crap? 🙄

Don’t even get me started on the “new year new me” bullshit.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yes! People look at me with a pity face when I say I spend Christmas alone. The alternative is being with a family I don’t actually like. I love Christmas alone. I can float about, watch tv, make my food, I don’t have to fake enthusiasm for tit presents and most importantly, I’m not spending the day counting down hours for the appropriate time to leave.

I find New Year’s Eve the worst for social expectations. It’d be interesting to know the statistics of mental health crisis’ that happen then vs any other night of the year. Too many people feel that they need to do something huge which never lives up to expectations and it makes those stuck at home alone feel like tit because they don’t have anyone to spend it with. On top that, you go into the long cold month of January hungover and skint. I used to hate it, I got much better about it when I stopped feeling the expectation and now enjoy watching films at home and watching the fireworks on the tele
I've never given a toss over New Year. I go to bed reading & listen to Big Ben then the fireworks outside. That's it for me ! 😀

Reactions: 7
Date? My group of friends and I all went together. Nobody had a date 😂

I think while it’s a nice gesture and I did enjoy my own prom at the time, the extravagance is unnecessary.
Ah yeah, I was thinking of the traditional American proms where you’re expected to take a date. I’d have hated that!

New Years just isn’t that big of a deal these days. I don’t get why people even celebrate it. Is it simply that you’ve survived to see another year? Celebrating more of the same crap? 🙄

Don’t even get me started on the “new year new me” bullshit.
Agreed. You’re literally celebrating time. 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Nottinghill Carnival is tit and too dangerous now for the crowd number it attracts. It needs to be held in a secure place where countless properties don’t get damaged every year. Would hate to be a resident around there at this time of the year

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I think a celebration is fine and I like the idea of a prom but I find that it’s gone a bit wild now. People go insane on spending money on it and stuff which is imo unnecessary.
I also think year 6 having a full on prom is a bit ridiculous. I think they should mark the occasion but not with a year 11 style prom
We had more of a disco / party type thing at the end of year 6. None of this prom stuff.

Reactions: 6
Nottinghill Carnival is tit and too dangerous now for the crowd number it attracts. It needs to be held in a secure place where countless properties don’t get damaged every year. Would hate to be a resident around there at this time of the year
Did you see in the news about those people there dancing on the roof of a bus shelter, which collapsed beneath them!?

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Did you see in the news about those people there dancing on the roof of a bus shelter, which collapsed beneath them!?
Yes thats what i saw that made me post, its despicable.

It was mentioned pre covid to make it a more secure thing eg in a park like festival style but obviously it was branded a racist opinion for whatever reason.

Whilst it might generate some income, I definitely think it costs a lot more money just in damages alone.

It is very dangerous now, my friend is a police officer and she absolutely dreads working the carnival every year. So much crime happens, but lot of it doesn’t get reported on media.

Reactions: 9
Agreed.

It's about time it was cancelled

When I get asked by banks when doing transactions I tell them some vague bullshit. They have to ask but there Is no obligation on you to tell them the truth.
Well yes, but it's fraud if you lie, so I'd rather not risk it!

Reactions: 1
Well yes, but it's fraud if you lie, so I'd rather not risk it!
It’s chat in a bank, there’s no chance of getting done for fraud. Anything over £3k they have to ask about.

To me it’s on the same level as the checkout operator in Asda asking what you’re doing for the rest of the day.

It’s chat in a bank, there’s no chance of getting done for fraud. Anything over £3k they have to ask about.

To me it’s on the same level as the checkout operator in Asda asking what you’re doing for the rest of the day.
To each their own. :D

Reactions: 1
i don’t like many things we’ve picked up from America, but i love the Prom idea, you have just worked for months for exams and then a lot you are going to different colleges etc. for me it was a nice day to close that chapter of my life with people i have known for at least 5 years.
So obviously it sounds like you were one of the popular ones.

I was just normal, not overly popular, but definitely not unpopular.

Proms sound awful, thank God, it wasn't around when I was younger.

So obviously it sounds like you were one of the popular ones.

I was just normal, not overly popular, but definitely not unpopular.

Proms sound awful, thank God, it wasn't around when I was younger.
I decided against going to prom and I definitely do not regret it I didn't want to pay to be in the same room as the horrible bullies who made my life a misery!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I don't really know how prom in the US actually works given that my idea of it is from movies but I doubt they associate it with a school disco so it works for them

I do appreciate celebrating your time at school certainly isn’t for everyone, And i certainly had moments where school was my idea of hell.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.