Unpopular Opinions #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
UO one should always be given the option of working on a Bank Holiday. As a temp I have lost an entire days wages which is a considerable sum.. approx £150 if not more. to sit at home and do nothing. A day off is NOT worth that to me. We do not get paid if we have not completed the hours and that's a LOT of a compulsory wage hit.

It's my birthday soon and for the first time I will have to work on it because this Bank Holiday means I cannot afford to take a second hit ( role hasn't accrued me enough paid holiday in time)

Bank Holidays have never been popular with me. I've lost so much money /earning potential over the years..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
UO one should always be given the option of working on a Bank Holiday. As a temp I have lost an entire days wages which is a considerable sum.. approx £150 if not more. to sit at home and do nothing. A day off is NOT worth that to me. We do not get paid if we have not completed the hours and that's a LOT of a compulsory wage hit.

Bank Holidays have never been popular with me. I've lost so much money /earning potential over the years..
I’ve never understood the concept of bank holidays tbh, like how did it even start? Why do they deserve a holiday? The world would grind to a halt without them, I don’t think they should be allowed to take even one single day off, yet somehow they have 8 special days in the year where they just close and then all these other businesses have to close too and everyone is like oh thanky mr banky!
Nah screw that I don’t want any of my time off dedicated to to the banks, duck the banks.

UO: I don’t like that Netflix release all new episodes of a series at the same time because then you feel like you have to watch all of them the weekend they’re released, otherwise you’re likely to see/hear spoilers. Sometimes I just want to enjoy something/watch it at my own pace instead of rushing to get through them in 48 hours.

Reactions: 6
I'll probably be crucified for some sort of cultural appropriation here but herbal teas actually taste okay with a splash of milk.

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I’ve never understood the concept of bank holidays tbh, like how did it even start? Why do they deserve a holiday? The world would grind to a halt without them, I don’t think they should be allowed to take even one single day off, yet somehow they have 8 special days in the year where they just close and then all these other businesses have to close too and everyone is like oh thanky mr banky!
Nah screw that I don’t want any of my time off dedicated to to the banks, duck the banks.
Not sure if I’m explaining this properly so forgive me. The issue imo is that becomes a bit of a class issue to a degree because retail staff don’t get the day off so it’s people that imo don’t really deserve time off (like me, office job, no customers - not in a bank though) when I actually could have really done with the time off when I was in retail. Most retail staff get 1 day off over Christmas and then are normally back in Boxing Day morning. New year is shut if you’re lucky but where I worked never was. We worked until 6pm Xmas eve and then back in 9am Boxing Day. No time off new year. A few days across the year of random holidays would actually have been beneficial. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy to have the extra day off but I feel like it should be spread for everything that’s non essential and not just basically office staff.

On that topic - my UO:

Sundays should go back to being a day of actual rest like it is in European countries. Everything shut including supermarkets. The only thing open are petrol garages. The day is spent dedicated to family, friends and relaxing.

Reactions: 17
Not sure if I’m explaining this properly so forgive me. The issue imo is that becomes a bit of a class issue to a degree because retail staff don’t get the day off so it’s people that imo don’t really deserve time off (like me, office job, no customers - not in a bank though) when I actually could have really done with the time off when I was in retail. Most retail staff get 1 day off over Christmas and then are normally back in Boxing Day morning. New year is shut if you’re lucky but where I worked never was. We worked until 6pm Xmas eve and then back in 9am Boxing Day. No time off new year. A few days across the year of random holidays would actually have been beneficial. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy to have the extra day off but I feel like it should be spread for everything that’s non essential and not just basically office staff.

On that topic - my UO:

Sundays should go back to being a day of actual rest like it is in European countries. Everything shut including supermarkets. The only thing open are petrol garages. The day is spent dedicated to family, friends and relaxing.
I hated Sundays on the continent for that very reason.Not much fun if you live alone

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I hated Sundays on the continent for that very reason.Not much fun if you live alone
That’s interesting because I lived alone and still preferred it. I think I mostly just liked how relaxed everyone was. I don’t get that feeling in the UK but it could have just been my area.

Out of interest, what do you do on Sundays now that you don’t live there?

The inheritance tax threshold should be lowered to £250k. No one needs to inherit a million pounds tax free.

I'd say tax rates are too low (for those earning 80k and above) and there are too many ways of avoiding or minimizing tax that are exploited by the wealthy.

• Angry
Reactions: 12

On that topic - my UO:

i’ve discussed the sunday thing with friends and feel abit torn on it, lots of people who work in retail or hospitality need to work that sunday (often women because of partners working a 9-5 they are then home to care for children)
And to be honest most European countries don’t shut down on a sunday anymore, specially those that have active tourism.

The inheritance tax threshold should be lowered to £250k. No one needs to inherit a million pounds tax free.

I'd say tax rates are too low (for those earning 80k and above) and there are too many ways of avoiding or minimizing tax that are exploited by the wealthy.
So when a family member dies that has paid tax all their lives, paid tax on the property you are likely to inherit and the wages that paid for it, most people Will their property to family hoping it will make a difference to their lives, the tax bracket is £350,000 hardly millions. Taxing people on second homes however needs to be muuuuch higher.

Reactions: 10
i’ve discussed the sunday thing with friends and feel abit torn on it, lots of people who work in retail or hospitality need to work that sunday (often women because of partners working a 9-5 they are then home to care for children)
And to be honest most European countries don’t shut down on a sunday anymore, specially those that have active tourism.
It depends on state/area. Where I lived would completely shut down but the areas that don’t tend to are in the city or tourist areas. Although the supermarkets in the city would still shut on Sunday where I lived.
Tourism is obviously different

Reactions: 1
Given that my new role is connected to them I cant say that LOL

On that topic - my UO:

Kinda agree but as someone who works during the week away from any shops and goes to Football during the season, Sunday is pretty much the only day I have if I need to get anything done or buy anything.

I do wonder where everyone is going in the cars packing the roads on Sunday at 9 am etc.. you used to barely see anyone.. also our town centre just seems to be people wandering round the shops aimlessly on Sundays.. I can't help but think are these people also going to be the ones moaning when they can't pay their energy bills this winter cos they have pissed all their money on Primark shoddy garments, trainers and over priced takeaways

Some people don't have family and friends etc though

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
UO Private landlords (PLs) should not be allowed to suck at the teat of the public purse in order for the tax-payer to pay their mortgages.

Generally speaking, the only people who can "afford" the private (greater than mortgage payment) rents are those who are publicly funded.

PLs restricted to privately funded tenants, would see a solution to the housing situation almost overnight.

Unable to identify working people willing to pay the PLs mortgage, PL's would be forced to sell their (funded by the public purse) properties to first-time buyers or local authorities to use as social housing. That way local authorities would pay less (in a mortgage) and OWN the asset. (I know LAs wouldn't have a mortgage attached, but you get the principle!)

The irony is, of course, a lot of the properties rented out by PLs were tax-payer owned homes in the first place until they were (practically) given away to tenants who were fortunate enough to live in them when "Right to Buy" was introduced.

Time for the circle to close, imo.

Reactions: 9
Landlords should be regulated and only allowed to charge for a certain small percent of profit. People's rents are constantly being raised massively without the value of the property changing at all, its criminal

Reactions: 11
I’d say I’m completely opposite this, I think the inheritance tax threshold should be higher.

I’ll go further and say that I don’t think private renting should be encouraged in any way. If you have more than one property and you rent it, your income taxes should be so high you’d rather sell it. Private renting in the UK is a form exploitation.

Hot drinks in general are disgusting! I don’t understand peoples fascination with coffee sure it smells nice but it actually just tastes a bit grim.

The worst hot drink of them all is hot chocolate. It’s vile.

@watermelon sugar I had the pink gin and cream soda, it was gorgeous but also I hate you a bit because I went overboard and I’m now dying 😭

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3

On that topic - my UO:

My version of your UO is the opposite - i.e. that we should scrap limited Sunday trading hours and let shops choose to open when they want.

Sunday trading laws are antiquated and linked to religion. Hardly anyone's religious these days.

They manage it in Scotland just fine - supermarkets tend to do the normal opening hours there on a Sunday - not just limited to six hours making the place nuts for most of it.

The way I see it is people in retail know that they're likely to have to work weekends when they take those jobs. I worked in a supermarket as a student and during the summer breaks I quite liked working weekends knowing I'd get days off in the week when things were quieter!

I just don't really understand why different preferences need a sexuality label. Having preferences is totally fine
I do get where you're coming from, but I don't mind the terms. I know some people say they "hate labels", but they're just descriptors.

I'm gay and don't mind applying that label to myself because it's accurate and -- if I'm single -- relevant to any potential date. No matter how attractive a woman is, she's never going to do anything for me and I have no interest in dating one. When I've been asked out by girls in the past, I've always been honest as to why it's not going to happen. I think it's nicer than letting them think I'm straight but just don't fancy them. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.