Unpopular Opinions #26

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The thing is on educating, history is not taught accurately in school, I’m sure many of you believe Christopher Columbus was a great man who discovered America, I’m sure many of you believe Winston Churchill was a great man too. I have no issue with educating people on the struggles of black people, the history, or why colourism is still a thing, on how racism does still exist as does white privilege, but it’s often met by being disregarded, that it doesn’t happen anymore, that white privilege isn’t real & ‘all lives matter’ and it’s exhausting.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
homes with cat litter boxes definitely smell more than a home that has dogs. even if the litter box is in a specific room the smell leaks 🤮
maybe I've just known dirty cat owners but the smell is so much more prominent. My gran has had a dog for years and I've never noticed her house smelling particularly doggy but when she had a cat you could smell it right away.

that being said I actually prefer cats to dogs even though I have a dog lol. wish I had just got a cat instead 😭 love my dog but it's different to owning a cat

Reactions: 7
The thing is on educating, history is not taught accurately in school, I’m sure many of you believe Christopher Columbus was a great man who discovered America, I’m sure many of you believe Winston Churchill was a great man too. I have no issue with educating people on the struggles of black people, the history, or why colourism is still a thing, on how racism does still exist as does white privilege, but it’s often met by being disregarded, that it doesn’t happen anymore, that white privilege isn’t real & ‘all lives matter’ and it’s exhausting.
Where do you stand on knife crime in London for example? Is it accurate to say that the majority of both victims and perpetrators seem to allegedly be people of colour or is that an incorrect statistic? https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/assembly/commission-on-knife-crime-in-black-community

If all lives matter isn't an appropriate response, then do you think someone should question why the statistics seem to allegedly suggest that even black people don't think black lives matter?

By the way, what is 'colourism'?

• Wow
  • Heart
Where do you stand on knife crime in London for example? Is it accurate to say that the majority of both victims and perpetrators seem to allegedly be people of colour or is that an incorrect statistic? https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/assembly/commission-on-knife-crime-in-black-community

If all lives matter isn't an appropriate response, then do you think someone should question why the statistics seem to allegedly suggest that even black people don't think black lives matter?

I'm from the states and came across this thread and I'm loving it.
The big cities have a huge problem with black on black crime, it's a regular thing in Chicago for 70 people to be shot in one weekend and it's 99.9% black on black crime.
My question is, when will BLM be satisfied? Every major city has been burned and looted and it's still not enough. The cops stand by and let it happen. I'm sorry I'm missing the racism in that.

• Wow
  • Heart
I love dogs with human names 😂. I know a Labrador called Susan and a German Shepherd called Craig
I love people with animal names, especially Wolf Blitzer from CNN, not keen on Dog the Bounty Hunter, it sounds fake.

I think that childless people just can’t understand nor appreciate how much your life changes once you have a child. It’s not even intentional, your priorities just shift and you naturally start to put the needs and wants of your child first. A child completely and totally changes every aspect of your life forever, there’s no going back, there’s a fundamental shift and you go forward from that point but there’s a definitive life pre children and then post children.
I am childless, and I agree YOUR life changes. It's when I have to change my life to accommodate you that I get pissed. Your sprog your problems.

As you can see, I am not a morning person.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Popular or unpopular, either way I couldn't give a tit but my gripe is
that unintelligent people posting ignorant race baiting comments should educate themselves before sounding off, that way they'll make themselves look less stupid.

Involving themselves and commenting on topics relating to race but not knowing what colourism is would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. The actual embarrassment of that alone.

Yes it's okay for someone to say that they don't support or agree with blm ideology after all it's unpopular opinions thread but to home in on a tattler and race bait them is the lowest of low.
Pity the poor fools.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
First and foremost it’s ridiculous that BLM is even a movement. It shouldn’t be a movement. It shouldn’t even be a thing but it is. You don’t have to be actively campaigning to support it. You said you don’t treat non white people any different but you also said its non white peoples problem, therefor you are treating people of colour differently because you think ‘meh that’s their problem, me and my white privilege are not effected’ that is the height of ignorance and disgusting.
I highly doubt on a daily basis you are getting yourself in knots over every issue i.e. LGBTQ, child abuse, animal welfare, homelessness, veterans etc etc. The list of causes is endless. You cannot actively care about all of them because we all have different issues that affect us mentally dependent on the lives we have lived. As I've already said, does that mean I want or agree with ethnic minorities being treated poorly? Of course not, but on a daily basis it isn't something that I care about no because it doesn't affect me and I can be honest about that, I am too busy thinking about the issues that do. And again, by care it doesn't mean I agree with poor treatment or that if I actually witnessed it I would go "ah duck em", it means in my daily life I don't give the issue much thought. That's just being honest and again, as much as people don't like to admit it I strongly believe most white people will be the same. In the same way most heterosexual people don't spend time being interested in LGBTQ issues or people who don't like animals caring about their welfare.

You can find it disgusting, that's fine, it's the unpopular opinions thread I knew it wouldn't be liked but I'm not going to be the person who silently agrees and scrolls by because they are too scared to be cancelled. Until you are on the front line campaigning over every single issue, practicing performative activism and going "wow yeah that's really terrible" then going back to your life and doing nothing (which is what most people do), is the exact same privilege you are accusing me of. People seem to need a verbal acknowledgement of how wronged they are even if it changes nothing when at the end of the day, me saying I don't condone but equally don't *actively* care about a movement achieves the same thing as someone telling you how justified you are, pretending they give a tit then equally doing absolutely nothing. It's just smoke and mirrors to protect themselves from criticism.

UO - Brutal honesty is desperately needed in society because if people do so, it can be a foundation of more meaningful conversations and change. Getting angry and just calling everyone a racist doesn't help anything. In the same way angry vegans just piss people off further. Pretending to be PC or saying what you think people need to hear just to save face doesn't actually achieve anything, it just creates a facade. We are so caught up in everyone needing to "be kind" that we force fake emotions that actually breed more hatred and angst. Just look at the whole trans thing, for some reason it's OK for everyone to be honest that they think that's a tit show, but admitting you don't actively care about the BLM movement isn't accepted? Both issues cause people prejudice or abuse but we are allowed to not be interested in one. That is how life works though, you cannot care about everything and it isn't healthy to.

Again that doesn't mean you agree with it, wouldn't do anything if you saw it happening, or actively engage in it yourself (which is what really counts, if we all do our bit these things wouldn't be a problem and doing your bit should be enough, you can't be expected to do it all and if you are, I equally expect you to start getting involved in all those issues I mentioned before).

Anyway, that's my last mic drop on the topic before we get in thread monopolisation territory. I accept it's going to piss people off, it is the UO thread afterall!

Reactions: 11
I highly doubt on a daily basis you are getting yourself in knots over every issue i.e. LGBTQ, child abuse, animal welfare, homelessness, veterans etc etc. The list of causes is endless. You cannot actively care about all of them because we all have different issues that affect us mentally dependent on the lives we have lived. As I've already said, does that mean I want or agree with ethnic minorities being treated poorly? Of course not, but on a daily basis it isn't something that I care about no because it doesn't affect me and I can be honest about that, I am too busy thinking about the issues that do. And again, by care it doesn't mean I agree with poor treatment or that if I actually witnessed it I would go "ah duck em", it means in my daily life I don't give the issue much thought. That's just being honest and again, as much as people don't like to admit it I strongly believe most white people will be the same. In the same way most heterosexual people don't spend time being interested in LGBTQ issues or people who don't like animals caring about their welfare.

You can find it disgusting, that's fine, it's the unpopular opinions thread I knew it wouldn't be liked but I'm not going to be the person who silently agrees and scrolls by because they are too scared to be cancelled. Until you are on the front line campaigning over every single issue, practicing performative activism and going "wow yeah that's really terrible" then going back to your life and doing nothing (which is what most people do), is the exact same privilege you are accusing me of. People seem to need a verbal acknowledgement of how wronged they are even if it changes nothing when at the end of the day, me saying I don't condone but equally don't *actively* care about a movement achieves the same thing as someone telling you how justified you are, pretending they give a tit then equally doing absolutely nothing. It's just smoke and mirrors to protect themselves from criticism.

UO - Brutal honesty is desperately needed in society because if people do so, it can be a foundation of more meaningful conversations and change. Getting angry and just calling everyone a racist doesn't help anything. In the same way angry vegans just piss people off further. Pretending to be PC or saying what you think people need to hear just to save face doesn't actually achieve anything, it just creates a facade. We are so caught up in everyone needing to "be kind" that we force fake emotions that actually breed more hatred and angst. Just look at the whole trans thing, for some reason it's OK for everyone to be honest that they think that's a tit show, but admitting you don't actively care about the BLM movement isn't accepted? Both issues cause people prejudice or abuse but we are allowed to not be interested in one. That is how life works though, you cannot care about everything and it isn't healthy to.

Again that doesn't mean you agree with it, wouldn't do anything if you saw it happening, or actively engage in it yourself (which is what really counts, if we all do our bit these things wouldn't be a problem and doing your bit should be enough, you can't be expected to do it all and if you are, I equally expect you to start getting involved in all those issues I mentioned before).

Anyway, that's my last mic drop on the topic before we get in thread monopolisation territory. I accept it's going to piss people off, it is the UO thread afterall!
That’s a lot of words to say “I’m alright Jack”.

Reactions: 8
People who have a problem with high income households are just bitter that they failed in life …
Does anyone have a problem with high income households just for having a high income? I expect its more how they act than what they earn or have.

Reactions: 14

3EF75E45-EC70-4435-9618-2581DB27F279.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 22

It’s not an incorrect statistic but you are aware that black people are more likely to be living in poverty aren’t you? As a result they don’t always have access to the things white people do to keep them off the streets such as clubs after school but I’m not really sure why this statistic is relevant. You clearly don’t understand the BLM movement.
BLM is about black people being treated the same as white people. You’ve never heard of a white person being killed by a police office just for the colour of their skin. Nobody’s saying white lives don’t matter, but they don’t matter more then black lives. Thats the point of the movement.

Colourism is people with lighter skin, so black people who are not as ‘dark’ or mixed race people getting more opportunities, being treated better then those with skin darker then them.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Is there a 'TLDR' recap for this?

• Haha

It’s fine to not campaign for every single issue, I don’t go out campaigning for climate change, animal rights etc but I do everything I can to educate myself / those around me on what we can do to improve the world. You not caring because you’re not black is like me saying ‘I don’t care that somebody kicked a dog cos I’m not a dog and I don’t like dogs’ imagine the outrage? imagine if I just walked past somebody kicking a dog. What kind of monster would that make me? But it’s fine for you a white person to ignore black issues and you don’t see how wrong you are? That’s the problem with this country. We treat animals better then we do black people.

how can you even compete black issues to trans people? I do not understand the comparison?

Hardly a mic drop but anyway, I’d be interested to know if you’d say all of this to a black persons face?!

Reactions: 15
Is there a 'TLDR' recap for this?
TLDR: you can only actively care about so many of the multitude of issues in the world. Also, movements such as Black Lives Matter and trans-activism alienate people by aggressively demanding others submit to their world view. That's how I read that post anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
I'm from the states and came across this thread and I'm loving it.
The big cities have a huge problem with black on black crime, it's a regular thing in Chicago for 70 people to be shot in one weekend and it's 99.9% black on black crime.
My question is, when will BLM be satisfied? Every major city has been burned and looted and it's still not enough. The cops stand by and let it happen. I'm sorry I'm missing the racism in that.
When we’re given with the same opportunities as the white person, not treated less for having darker skin and not killed by the police for being black - when it’s obvious that black lives do matter. Then I’m sure there will be satisfaction.

• Heart
When we’re given with the same opportunities as the white person, not treated less for having darker skin and not killed by the police for being black - when it’s obvious that black lives do matter. Then I’m sure there will be satisfaction.
How do you feel about people/celebrities taking the knee and changing their Instagram to a black square, do you think it’s a good way to promote the cause, would you be offended if someone didn’t do they but tried to help BLM in a different way?

Reactions: 2
exactly this, i hate the “when will it end, when will they be satisfied” argument because blm isn’t really asking for much, just to be treated equally and the same as others. people who try and act like they’re protesting for the impossible just don’t understand the purpose imo.

also uo: referring to your own post as a “mic drop” doesn’t make it a mic drop but i love the optimism 🤣 gonna start doing it with all of mine 🎤

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.