Unpopular Opinions #26

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
exactly this, i hate the “when will it end, when will they be satisfied” argument because blm isn’t really asking for much, just to be treated equally and the same as others. people who try and act like they’re protesting for the impossible just don’t understand the purpose imo.

also uo: referring to your own post as a “mic drop” doesn’t make it a mic drop but i love the optimism 🤣 gonna start doing it with all of mine 🎤
I wish I could double react this cos I wanna 🤣 react the mic drop bit.

MIC DROP 🎤

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I find it a bit gross that widowers ‘find love’ so soon after their wife/husband has died. Stephen Bland was moaning on Twitter that the Daily Mail said his new wife looks like his old wife and they do a bit. A few people said that it only took him 18 months and then he shacked up with the next Mrs Bland and they were yelled at.
I get that there is no time on grief but I’m the same train of thought I’m confused how you can process the death of the love of your life and then go on dates and find your next partner all within 18 months.
I think it depends a lot on the cause of the spouse death. If someone has been sick for a long time and pass away you've already spent time grieving before they die, it's not a shock as such, you can process things before they go. The difference between that and loosing someone, say in a car accident will be huge.

I don't exactly speak from experience, but I have 'grieved' my husband multiple times in our lives due to his health. I don't expect to grow old with him, and I hope I am able to move on and find love and companionship elsewhere. However the guilt is real.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
How do you feel about people/celebrities taking the knee and changing their Instagram to a black square, do you think it’s a good way to promote the cause, would you be offended if someone didn’t do they but tried to help BLM in a different way?
The black square was pointless. I think taking the knee was a good way to promote the cause but it went on a bit too long without any other real change and became pointless. There’s always been racism in sport (football) though so I think it’s important to show there isn’t space for it in sport anymore.

I don’t follow many other sports so I can’t speak for racism within rugby, tennis etc.

Reactions: 5
My FIL moved on very quickly after MIL died in her early 50s (the lady was someone he met at grief group who lost her partner in a similar way). It shocked us all really the speed. But in retrospect he had been with MIL since his teens and had never really 'adulted' alone. I think both he and his new partner just couldn't function not being part of a couple.

Personally I would want my husband to date again. If only so he could continously compare her to me and realise how amazing I was 🙏.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
The black square was pointless. I think taking the knee was a good way to promote the cause but it went on a bit too long without any other real change and became pointless. There’s always been racism in sport (football) though so I think it’s important to show there isn’t space for it in sport anymore.

I don’t follow many other sports so I can’t speak for racism within rugby, tennis etc.
Agreed, sport is still a place where prejudice reigns supreme, so I had no issue with players taking the knee. I actually got annoyed when I heard idiots booing it. They may not "agree" with bringing politics into sport, but at least have the respect not to boo when players do that.

It's the same any time sports players show support for gay rights, or players come out, the usual suspects start trotting out nonsense like "keep it private we don't need to know" (though never complain about the fact we know the names of all the WAGS and therefore know those players are straight or bi), or "keep politics out of sport" - as though wanting a sporting environment that's free of prejudice is political.

I despair sometimes!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
If you think the UK has a major problem with racism you need to travel a bit more. There are racist and xenophobic dickheads everywhere, and all ethnicities are guilty of this.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
To me the concept of ‘black on black’ crime is deliberate because white people also harm other white people and it’s never referred to as ‘white on white’ crime, and other random white people who don’t commit crimes wouldn’t be asked to explain the levels of it. I live in a predominantly white area and there’s constant fights/stabbings and it’s never reiterated that it’s white people doing it, but you can guarantee if a black person did it would be made clear
If you think the UK has a major problem with racism you need to travel a bit more. There are racist and xenophobic dickheads everywhere, and all ethnicities are guilty of this.
Just because other places are worse it doesn’t mean the UK is good

Reactions: 17
This is such a weird take imo

I’m an immigrant so I have the absolute pleasure of dealing with xenophobia often. Of course I’m going to care more about the xenophobia I face in the place that I live and want it to get better?

Though xenophobia in the UK doesn’t even get talked about that much or gets shoved into the same group as racism

i don’t get what you mean? one doesn’t cancel out the other - i’ve travelled extensively, including all over the usa, and that doesn’t mean that the uk isn’t also capable of being racist. different cultures just express it in different ways based on their own histories, their societal set-up and layout, and (in the case of the us) what the police are able to do/get away with.

Reactions: 7
i don’t get what you mean? one doesn’t cancel out the other - i’ve travelled extensively, including all over the usa, and that doesn’t mean that the uk isn’t also capable of being racist. different cultures just express it in different ways based on their own histories and (in the case of the us) what the police are able to do/get away with.
The UK is unique in that a lot of stuff just isn’t obviously racist/xenophobic too. It’s little things, or not so little but not as obvious as using slurs, that add up and make you give those people a bit of a side eye but a British/white person would just say that you’re making it too deep/overthinking it because they’ve never had to experience it themselves

It’s easy to say that Britain isn’t all that bad because it’s not that obvious

I’ve been thinking this about some posts - of course most people would say that being racist is bad, and would probably call it out, as long as it’s simple but the moment you get into microagressions you’ll have people saying “well it’s not racist”

Reactions: 7
But what level of racial equality are you comparing the UK with? What fundermentals of British governance and laws are you trying to level? You can't legislate on an individual level, and some people hold crappy views about lots of things for many and varied reasons.

Reactions: 2
The UK is unique in that a lot of stuff just isn’t obviously racist/xenophobic too. It’s little things, or not so little but not as obvious as using slurs, that add up and make you give those people a bit of a side eye but a British/white person would just say that you’re making it too deep/overthinking it because they’ve never had to experience it themselves

I’ve been thinking this about some posts - of course most people would say that being racist is bad, and would probably call it out, as long as it’s simple but the moment you get into microagressions you’ll have people saying “well it’s not racist”
Exactly! I'm white and live in a fairly rural area, which is probably made up of 99% white people. So it'd be easy for me to say there's not much issue in the UK with racism because I hardly ever witness it and certainly wouldn't experience it.

But non-white people say there is still an issue in this country, so my reaction is to listen to them, rather than dismiss it by saying: "well, I don't see it here, so you're probably making a fuss over nothing".

Reactions: 11

What’s an example of a micro aggression, please? Genuine question - I’ve heard of the term but haven’t read anything in depth

Omg what have I woken up to… I feel like the initial argument here was that the BLM campaign was often performative activism from people who just wanted to make themselves feel good, and overnight it has somehow degenerated into insinuations that black lives actually don’t matter…

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.