Unpopular Opinions #21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it an UO to hate the whole idea of wedding and marriage, i dont see the need for it - I was actually called homophic for saying this when asked if i agreed with same sex marriage and i said i dont agree with any marriage

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’ve actually commented on one of these unpopular opinions threads before about weddings. It’s a big problem for me! I struggle to understand the hype! Another invite has landed, to a two day event, at £325 a go for two nights in a hotel (bonus, it includes breakfast)! I yearn for the days of the 80’s when people had a wedding on a Saturday morning at the town church or registry office then hired a local social club out! It’s not because I can’t actually afford it. I can. It’s just justifying the cost of it all every time I get an invite and I’m not tight fisted by any means. I don’t want to take the shine off anyone’s day either, but factor in an outfit, a gift and the hen do plus hen do extras! It’s a lot of money! I have one child and I had no baby shower because I became a mother in the early 90’s when baby showers were unheard of! I’m not married, I have no wish to be. I feel like some months, I’ve worked a wage to accommodate someone else’s wishes? Am I on my own in thinking this is actually becoming an issue for people, in what is already hard times? I’ve known people who are good friends fall out over the cost of it all!
I’d love to be invited to a wedding. Small family friends all married or not going to bother. Can I go in your place. Do you think they’ll notice 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Is it an UO to hate the whole idea of wedding and marriage, i dont see the need for it - I was actually called homophic for saying this when asked if i agreed with same sex marriage and i said i dont agree with any marriage
I completely agree. I'm in a (20yr) relationship because I want to be, not because I'm married.
And I wouldn't spend a load of time or money going to someones wedding either, I'd send a card or a gift if I wanted to.

Surely a wedding is about the couple expressing their love for each other, why does this need hundreds of people and spending an absolute shed load of money?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I completely agree. I'm in a (20yr) relationship because I want to be, not because I'm married.
And I wouldn't spend a load of time or money going to someones wedding either, I'd send a card or a gift if I wanted to.

Surely a wedding is about the couple expressing their love for each other, why does this need hundreds of people and spending an absolute shed load of money?
My sentiments exactly. Have always wanted a marriage not a wedding and really one of the reasons we are getting married is so I am my husbands next of kin and not his parents. We have 6 people attending and that is 2 too many frankly and a small party. I have everyone not to buy a new dress or a present. I don't want it costing people a fortune. I made sure my hen do only cost £40 as I hate the idea of people paying for things I wanted.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I get not wanting marriage for yourself, but I don't see why someone would want to stop marriage for everyone.

To each their own I always say!

Reactions: 3
It scares me how many people don't appreciate the legal protection marriage gives you.

A lot of people say it's just paper or we don't need a ceremony to prove our love, that may be true but you will appreciate that bit of paper if your partner dies

Reactions: 5
It scares me how many people don't appreciate the legal protection marriage gives you.

A lot of people say it's just paper or we don't need a ceremony to prove our love, that may be true but you will appreciate that bit of paper if your partner dies

The problems arise because of wills and arrangements not being properly prepared

Reactions: 1
The problems arise because of wills and arrangements not being properly prepared
Correct to an extent but in the case of pensions for example if you're married it is 1 certificate to prove you're married and there's your widows pension. If you're not married you might not be entitled to a pension in the first place and if you are you will need to provide a lot of documentation to prove the relationship was "as if you were married"

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.