Unpopular Opinions #21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've not attended church regularly in years. But if someone asks me what religion I am, I would always say Catholic!!! And I know that's hypocritical.
It's your belief that makes you Catholic ( or any other Christian denomination) , not whether or not you visit church .

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Oversized blazers look ridiculous I’m talking a size small wearing a large, or 10 in a 14 etc

Reactions: 10
I was raised Catholic but from about the age of 18, I went my own way and religion has played no part in my life.

I few years ago I attended my Uncle's funeral and it was with a full Catholic mass. I decided not to go up for communion because I thought it would be very disrespectful to those there who truly believe and take it very seriously. I was not married in a church and my daughter was never christened.

What I did find a bit weird (I've attend mass a couple of times since through family funerals and stuff) is how automatic and natural it still was during the mass. All the words, actions, kneeling , up and down etc etc all still second nature. So indoctrinated.
I am the same. It feels disrespectful to those who do believe. Which is totally their choice and I respect that.

Reactions: 2
This!!!!! I remember a woman I worked alongside was pregnant and she was talking about getting her baby christened when it was born and went on to say that it wasn’t because she believed in God or wanted the child to follow a particular faith but it was a great excuse to get all the family together to dress up and celebrate and a bonus is they all give gifts for the baby 😐
At least she was honest about it lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5
At least she was honest about it lol
The whole godparent thing is bizarre too, mine are all family but I have friends who no longer even speak to former friends they made godparents to their child. I have several godchildren because I’m too embarrassed / polite to say no but there would have to be no one left on earth before anyone would actually consider leaving me to look after a child 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Over 75s should not have a free TV license. They have had the chance to work hard and earn plenty and are usually in a better financial situation than under 35s.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
There is a rather nauseating article about Prince William in the DM at the moment. Apparently he wants to slim down the Monarchy, in order for it to survive. According to the article, he has secretly visited various projects including those for the young homeless. It is a rather fawning article.
I'm sorry, but The Royal Family are completely out of touch with the struggles, of the majority of their "subjects." And no amount of positive PR, will alter my opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
We shouldn’t have got involved in the Ukraine war. Our involvement has done nothing but aggravate it and we are rapidly heading towards world war 3.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I was brought up in Christian denomination, attended church regularly in my childhood as did my family.

I attended occassionally in adulthood, although I moved around a lot and in London there’s less of a community feel, so it was very ad hoc.

during the pandemic I couldn’t go (obviously) and I fell out of the habit, plus we’d moved to a new area. I haven’t been to a church in a few years now.

Im getting married in a church, I fully intend to christen any children. I don’t think that makes me a hypocrite. The whole point of Christianity (well, Protestant denominations) is that you don’t need a church and your relationship with god is a personal one. Less the case with Roman Catholicism perhaps.

even if you don’t believe in god, Christianity is a huge part of most peoples cultural heritage which gives them every right to get married/have christenings. A christening is a wonderful way to introduce a baby to the world, integrate it into a community and celebrate it being born.

also; weddings and christenings are a huge source of income for many churches. If all these hypocrites upped and got married in registry offices, many congregations wouldn’t have churches left standing for them to attend anyway.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Over 75s should not have a free TV license. They have had the chance to work hard and earn plenty and are usually in a better financial situation than under 35s.
I thought that had already been scrapped?

I don’t think ANYONE should have to pay to watch TV.

Reactions: 14
Yeah, unfortunately loneliness and isolation in the elderly is a massive problem in this country. When I volunteered with the elderly there was a terrifying stat that said something like 1 in 10 old people in this country can go a week without hearing another human voice outside of the television.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
Yeah, unfortunately loneliness and isolation in the elderly is a massive problem in this country. When I volunteered with the elderly there was a terrifying stat that said something like 1 in 10 old people in this country can go a week without hearing another human voice outside of the television.
My MiL is 84. She’s also got COPD and other ailments. Which meant she was the highest of the high risks for covid. From March 20 until September 20 she didn’t see a living soul. Her shopping was left on doorstep. Occasional wave thru the window. At that time she didn’t have a mobile or tablet-so just had her tv and house phone. We got her Netflix and she got into Korean drama 🤣. But my point, the tv was her only source of comfort and company. So yes it should be free for over 75s. In fact it should be free full stop

• Heart
Reactions: 31
My MiL is 84. She’s also got COPD and other ailments. Which meant she was the highest of the high risks for covid. From March 20 until September 20 she didn’t see a living soul. Her shopping was left on doorstep. Occasional wave thru the window. At that time she didn’t have a mobile or tablet-so just had her tv and house phone. We got her Netflix and she got into Korean drama 🤣. But my point, the tv was her only source of comfort and company. So yes it should be free for over 75s. In fact it should be free full stop
It starts with Korean dramas next she will start learning Korean, getting obsessed with Korean fashion,visiting Korean grocery stores and make up trends and then plan on visiting/ moving there!

(I speak of my sister’s experience 😂)

Korean Coffee she was sipping from in bed with me below:

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
I was raised Catholic but from about the age of 18, I went my own way and religion has played no part in my life.

I few years ago I attended my Uncle's funeral and it was with a full Catholic mass. I decided not to go up for communion because I thought it would be very disrespectful to those there who truly believe and take it very seriously. I was not married in a church and my daughter was never christened.

What I did find a bit weird (I've attend mass a couple of times since through family funerals and stuff) is how automatic and natural it still was during the mass. All the words, actions, kneeling , up and down etc etc all still second nature. So indoctrinated.
Same.

I find it interesting that I visited an Episcopal Church, believing it was 'Catholic Lite' (and it is in many ways), HOWEVER they encourage everyone to receive communion. Catholics want you to believe that receiving the Holy Communion is a sacred event. Not too long ago you had to go to confession and fast before receiving communion (my sister actually passed out when she was waiting to receive communion when she was 8 years old). Also, anyone divorced could NOT receive communion 🙄

What I don't like about the Catholic Church are there are SO MANY man made rules and regulations (not in the Bible) that create separation and division. I didn't find that type of mentality in alignment with what I think God is = LOVE.

But the indoctrination is real. I don't think I will ever be able to erase the teachings; it's hard wired and embarrassing.

There is a level of respect I have because it is the religion of my parents and grand parents but the brain washing stopped with me. My children will never know the guilt of not eating fish on Fridays 😆

(no disrespect intended)

• Heart
Same.

I find it interesting that I visited an Episcopal Church, believing it was 'Catholic Lite' (and it is in many ways), HOWEVER they encourage everyone to receive communion. Catholics want you to believe that receiving the Holy Communion is a sacred event. Not too long ago you had to go to confession and fast before receiving communion (my sister actually passed out when she was waiting to receive communion when she was 8 years old). Also, anyone divorced could NOT receive communion 🙄

What I don't like about the Catholic Church are there are SO MANY man made rules and regulations (not in the Bible) that create separation and division. I didn't find that type of mentality in alignment with what I think God is = LOVE.

But the indoctrination is real. I don't think I will ever be able to erase the teachings; it's hard wired and embarrassing.

There is a level of respect I have because it is the religion of my parents and grand parents but the brain washing stopped with me. My children will never know the guilt of not eating fish on Fridays 😆

(no disrespect intended)
I was raised a catholic and if anything, it made me more of a naughty kid than I would have been, because going to confession every Saturday absolved me of all my sins.

I can still recite the “father forgive me for I have sinned” spiel and remember skipping out of church after my 10 Hail Marys and meeting my boyfriend in the park for cider, cigs and snogging 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Yeah, when my Grandma lost my Grandad she spent a lot more time indoors and the TV was a source of comfort to her. I'm not sure how much she actually paid attention to, but she often had it on in the background for the company.

I remember one time I visited her and she was tutting at Loose Women, but she'd keep watching it. 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Yeah, when my Grandma lost my Grandad she spent a lot more time indoors and the TV was a source of comfort to her. I'm not sure how much she actually paid attention to, but she often had it on in the background for the company.

I remember one time I visited her and she was tutting at Loose Women, but she'd keep watching it. 😂
my granny would always complain about things on tv... i don;t recall what.. but I used to say to her.. Nana you can turn it off

Reactions: 3

The first time I started WFH 16 years ago, well before it was fashionable I kept the telly on in the background for company. I couldn’t tell you what was on but the low level noise and movement in my peripheral vision stopped me feeling lonely.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.