Unpopular Opinions #21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah, unfortunately loneliness and isolation in the elderly is a massive problem in this country. When I volunteered with the elderly there was a terrifying stat that said something like 1 in 10 old people in this country can go a week without hearing another human voice outside of the television.
Sounds like heaven to be honest.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
For a lonely person it can be hell. Those of us with busy work and social lives relish peace and quiet, but those with nothing and no-one, endless silence is deadly ☹
Amen I was unemployed during lockdown with no friends and family etc to zoom call and the like.. When I went to the shops to get groceries and other essentials it was the only time I spoke to another human being.It's part of why i am furious about automated checkouts and stores cutting staff and scrapped manned tills and customer service counters.

It's not just old people who can feel unbearably lonely

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Celebrities turning their 'coming out' into a jamboree, like Schofield and now Kelly Holmes, are rather embarrassing.

Reactions: 23
Amen I was unemployed during lockdown with no friends and family etc to zoom call and the like.. When I went to the shops to get groceries and other essentials it was the only time I spoke to another human being.It's part of why i am furious about automated checkouts and stores cutting staff and scrapped manned tills and customer service counters.

It's not just old people who can feel unbearably lonely
I hope places like Tattle help with the loneliness.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Celebrities turning their 'coming out' into a jamboree, like Schofield and now Kelly Holmes, are rather embarrassing.
I must admit I thought Kelly Holmes was already out. :oops:

I see an Irish rugby player came out yesterday, but it didn't make many waves here in the UK. He commented that it got to the point where he either needed to come out or retire, as he didn't feel he could keep playing and living a lie.

I think that's more important, as professional sportsmen so rarely come out (e.g. still no out Premier League players). It helps a lot of younger gay guys who are into their sports and rarely see themselves represented. It can be a lonely place.

Reactions: 9
especially when in neither of those cases was it a massive shock lol IN fact I never doubted for a second Kelly was gay

Reactions: 4
I wish we could get over this need to come out, why these celebrities' feel that because the public doesn't know it is holding them back is really sad. I genuinely thought Kelly was already 'out' but the whole Philip Schofield debarkel really angered me. He made it sound like he was dying and all I could think of was his poor wife (but maybe she knew and thats all for his own thread).

We need to start accepting that the default is not straight and that anyone can be gay and that noone is in a closet.

Reactions: 15
I wish we could get over this need to come out, why these celebrities' feel that because the public doesn't know it is holding them back is really sad. I genuinely thought Kelly was already 'out' but the whole Philip Schofield debarkel really angered me. He made it sound like he was dying and all I could think of was his poor wife (but maybe she knew and thats all for his own thread).

We need to start accepting that the default is not straight and that anyone can be gay and that noone is in a closet.
My kids came back from their dad's house at the weekend and, during a conversation about marriage, they told me that their dad has told them that girls can only marry boys. I told a few mums on the school run who said their kids' dads have said similar things. Not all of these kids are straight, and once they've figured out their sexual orientation it's going to be so hard for them to come out to these bigoted fathers.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
My kids came back from their dad's house at the weekend and, during a conversation about marriage, they told me that their dad has told them that girls can only marry boys. I told a few mums on the school run who said their kids' dads have said similar things. Not all of these kids are straight, and once they've figured out their sexual orientation it's going to be so hard for them to come out to these bigoted fathers.
I get that maybe the older generation don't get it, but ours really? That is just so sad that people are so set in such old ways. In years to come I doubt marriage will be a thing.

Reactions: 13
I’ve actually commented on one of these unpopular opinions threads before about weddings. It’s a big problem for me! I struggle to understand the hype! Another invite has landed, to a two day event, at £325 a go for two nights in a hotel (bonus, it includes breakfast)! I yearn for the days of the 80’s when people had a wedding on a Saturday morning at the town church or registry office then hired a local social club out! It’s not because I can’t actually afford it. I can. It’s just justifying the cost of it all every time I get an invite and I’m not tight fisted by any means. I don’t want to take the shine off anyone’s day either, but factor in an outfit, a gift and the hen do plus hen do extras! It’s a lot of money! I have one child and I had no baby shower because I became a mother in the early 90’s when baby showers were unheard of! I’m not married, I have no wish to be. I feel like some months, I’ve worked a wage to accommodate someone else’s wishes? Am I on my own in thinking this is actually becoming an issue for people, in what is already hard times? I’ve known people who are good friends fall out over the cost of it all!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
How old are these dads if their wives are doing the school run? 30s? 40s? I’m astonished that people are so homophobic in 2022.

Reactions: 8
I get that maybe the older generation don't get it, but ours really? That is just so sad that people are so set in such old ways. In years to come I doubt marriage will be a thing.
I don’t see the need to come out. I wouldn’t care less if someone didn’t want to say or wanted to be open and I’m from an older generation. I don’t like that people are forced out either by the media. I also didn’t like what Schofield did. I can’t stand the sight of him since that and it’s nothing to do with him being gay.

Reactions: 7
I don’t see the need to come out. I wouldn’t care less if someone didn’t want to say or wanted to be open and I’m from an older generation. I don’t like that people are forced out either by the media. I also didn’t like what Schofield did. I can’t stand the sight of him since that and it’s nothing to do with him being gay.
Agree. That creep’s coming out was nothing to do with being gay but a cover up

Reactions: 11
Am I on my own in thinking this is actually becoming an issue for people, in what is already hard times? I’ve known people who are good friends fall out over the cost of it all!
makes me glad that at 55 I have only just been invited to my first wedding.. a much younger close friend. I've been unemployed since late 2019 and until recently had absolutely zero income but i'm going because my poor friend has had to postpone a number of times and each time it gets rescheduled she's expressed a strong wish to have me there. I've had to buy an outfit (found a dress for about 20 quid in M&S sale) and won't be staying overnight due to cost (and also being on my own) happy just to go there and come back. The officialties will all be over by about 7.15 so will just get a cab back to the station.

However just doing that will mount up as I have to get the tube into Central London, BR train and then a cab from the station as it's in the sticks,,,It's just an old style wedding like you describe with a few pizzas laid on , no gifts required but I think folk do assume that everyone has spare income and drives.. my flatmate had to turn down his neice's invite because she is having her wedding in Greece!!. Neither party have any Greek family or ties,, they just like it there.. well go there on the honeymoon then ffs

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I agree there's no need to make a big song and dance about 'coming out', but for some people it's just so they can feel free to be open about who their partner is.

If you think about it, no one bats an eyelid if a straight celebrity mentions their other half, or adds a photo of them to their Instagram. And that's technically a confirmation of their sexuality (i.e. they're straight or maybe bisexual). Almost no one would say "I didn't need to know that person was straight".

It's homophobia that means coming out is necessary. If we lived in a world with no homophobia, no one would 'come out', as they'd just say their partner was the same sex as them and no one would care.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.