Unpopular Opinions #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
UO. Public sector staff should get performance-related pay, not just be put on a pay "band" which never changes, no matter how inept or bone-idle they are. And it should be easier to get shot of under-performing staff, in some sectors, it's practically a "job for life".

@Tui. I bet you have at least one colleague who is always late or sick, who skives off early every shift because of "childcare" or whatever, who doesn't do a decent job because they just really don't care about their patients or colleagues, and who gets away with it for years because it's too much bother for managers to actually manage these people.

I've worked in the private sector and I can't believe what some NHS staff get away with!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
UO. Public sector staff should get performance-related pay, not just be put on a pay "band" which never changes, no matter how inept or bone-idle they are. And it should be easier to get shot of under-performing staff, in some sectors, it's practically a "job for life".

@Tui. I bet you have at least one colleague who is always late or sick, who skives off early every shift because of "childcare" or whatever, who doesn't do a decent job because they just really don't care about their patients or colleagues, and who gets away with it for years because it's too much bother for managers to actually manage these people.

I've worked in the private sector and I can't believe what some NHS staff get away with!
Not just public, I run myself to the ground making sure everything runs smoothly yet other colleagues wander around complaining how hard their job is. Just get on with it!

Reactions: 8
Not just public, I run myself to the ground making sure everything runs smoothly yet other colleagues wander around complaining how hard their job is. Just get on with it!
I'm on minimum wage and I have to deal with people on 45-120k bitching and moaning, and barely doing the bare minimum. Arseholes.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Taxis for school children are a huge waste of public money - it should be scrapped and replaced with buses. They're not helpful for the children they are most supposed to benefit: many kids in care feel even more singled out by being sent to school in a taxi, and disabled children are usually not allowed to have a parent or carer in the taxi with them when they need to. If the government is obliged to provide a school place for every child they should reform the system so that kids aren't being sent miles away, and provide buses for transport rather than waste millions to hire taxis.

There is no such thing as a right/fated time for things to happen or "things happen when they are meant to." If something doesn't happen it is often because you aren't working for it (e.g. a woman I know who said the book she wanted to publish would happen when it was meant to - she rarely worked on it and did not even have a publisher), going down the wrong avenues (e.g. waiting around for someone to marry you when they have made it clear they have no intention of that) or it's something that was never likely to happen in the first place

Reactions: 12
Yes, too many beurocrats and not enough spreading of funding. The NHS should not be wasting money on non-medical posts like non-jobs- " diversity officers" etc , soaking up fat wages across the UK that should be spent on NHS stuff in the first instance.
I must comnend the NHS staff and service, its looked after me very well over the years and I'm quite unwell.
A&E, the last time I was there, with a friend all day, was clogged up with people with sports injuries, all coming in one after the other. All self-inflicted & we overheard one say to a nurse, I saw you last week , you treated me ( rugby player).
That, in my opinion, is the problem with A&E. 1/2 of the patients have self,inflicted issues that could have been avoided, and they use the A&E almost weekly, or fortnightly.
It was a real eye-opener. No wonder really ill people are waiting around sometimes, stuck behind all these idiots using the NHS resources.
Are you saying people should stop playing sport incase they get injured.

People that play sport could argue that not being fit causes self inflicted illness.

People talk like the NHS provides all this non essential stuff when they actually don't. They just fob people off with tablets and have massive waiting list for everything else.

If you want proper treatment, go private.

Reactions: 11
I hate the white knighting of the NHS. They are prone to the same human errors as any other role and they should rightly be held to a higher standard.

You're not an angel just because you're a nurse or doctor, and if they duck up, people should take a complaint as far as they can.

Reactions: 35
I read a FOI that we spent £20k on stickers in London alone during the pandemic.
Adverts for the vaccine at £500 million
£6 million for the marble arch mount.
£660, 000 to dismantle the nonsense above.
£100,000 on flags.
£31.6 million on a single Nightingale hospital without a single patient

Track and trace lol. o_O
PPE not fit for use.

Wastage at every corner and zero accountability.

The Marble Arch Mound is finally being taken down (timeout.com)

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 25
I hate the white knighting of the NHS. They are prone to the same human errors as any other role and they should rightly be held to a higher standard.

You're not an angel just because you're a nurse or doctor, and if they duck up, people should take a complaint as far as they can.
Ultimately it is a choice to work for the NHS. If the conditions and pay are that bad and you feel under appreciated, go work somewhere else.

I know it’s not the right attitude to have and that if everyone did that we would be screwed but still.

Reactions: 7
I agree. I have family members who are nurses and we should be rightly proud of the NHS and the fact that it's free at the point of delivery. But it isn't god, we do pay for it via taxation and it does have to be accountable.

Reactions: 18
Probably UO but this is why I refuse to flog myself, work late, do work in my own time, work locums for tit pay. So if I don’t like it I should just quit and get another job?
I’ve so far sacrificed the best years of my life, 14 years, to train in my position and I won’t be done training for another 6+ years. I can’t do my job in any other way without moving to another country. And people wonder why nhs workers feel so tit.
Yes it absolutely should be accountable and the system is broken and fails so many but the people in it care and the nhs operates on buckets and buckets of good will.

The great British public will get the health service it deserves, whatever thatwill be .

Reactions: 11
Probably UO but this is why I refuse to flog myself, work late, do work in my own time, work locums for tit pay. So if I don’t like it I should just quit and get another job?
I’ve so far sacrificed the best years of my life, 14 years, to train in my position and I won’t be done training for another 6+ years. I can’t do my job in any other way without moving to another country. And people wonder why nhs workers feel so tit.
Yes it absolutely should be accountable and the system is broken and fails so many but the people in it care and the nhs operates on buckets and buckets of good will.

The great British public will get the health service it deserves, whatever thatwill be .
Most of us give the best years of our lives to training and studying for work and careers. Some jobs are just a continuation of learning and adapting to stay current. What sort of job takes 20 years of training?

Reactions: 10
I think the public hold this romanticised idea of the NHS, but ultimately it is a business that isn't performing how it was or how it should be. The front line staff should be compensated fairly given the studying and training, but theyre no better than anyone else and the NHS is not beyond reproach.

In an ideal world, we would retain the essence of the NHS, it would be managed well and it would be fit for purpose.

Ok maybe an UO. The NHS isnt fit for purpose anymore and needs a mega overhaul. The answer isn’t more money, you don’t keep throwing money at something that’s broken
*this isn’t a go at nurses, doctors, HCA etc. It’s the system. 6.5m on a waiting list and their priority? Micro aggressions. Just bleeping treat people 🤦‍♀️
I work for the NHS in an Admin role. They waste a lot of money - for example getting rid of and relacing all the monitors, keyboards etc when there was nothing wrong with them. Why not just replace them when they break?

Also things like throwing away all leaflets, posters etc when they change their corporate logo. Why not just use them up. Does anyone pay attention to logos anyway?

These examples are a drop in the ocean considering the NHS budget - but why waste money when it is in such a crisis 🤷‍♀️

Everywhere I have worked has had a workshy skiver - public and private sector alike.
IMO this is human nature issue, nothing to do with working in the public sector.

Some people are just lazy bastards and quite happy to do the minimum they can get away with 😡

Last edited:
Reactions: 30
Everywhere I have worked has had a workshy skiver - public and private sector alike.
IMO this is human nature issue, nothing to do with working in the public sector.

Some people are just lazy bastards and quite happy to do the minimum they can get away with 😡
Absolutely. It's not just a public sector thing. God, i've even come across this problem on parent committees and they volunteer for that! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
I've never actually seen an adult dog causing havoc off lead.

Most adult dogs have no interest in people when out the house, they're doing their dog stuff.

Dogs in public are always more of an issue to other dogs than people.
I’ve been victims to it plenty of times unfortunately 😔

I have rescue who doesn't like other dogs thanks to her previous owners (and I say owners because she had 4 of them before she was 2yrs)
I braved a public park near me a few times and she was on a double halti lead and muzzle trained and muzzled. So many owners saw me making distance going further into the woods and treating/working her to ignore what was coming, recalled successfully and clipped their dogs back on lead if need be.... but then their were others.
On separate occasions she ended up being attacked by a Dalmatian, 2 labs, a husky and a Staffi - I then got bit on my leg by that dog because she hid behind me trying to get away and it got me instead of her.

Each and every time I got shouted at and blamed for the attacks on my dog, even though I'd taken every precaution that I could have done by making loads of distance and asking if they could call their dog back.
Ironically I only muzzled her just in case, not once did she ever attempt to bite back despite being a GSD which some deem vicious, yet all these other breeds did attack.
I walk muzzle free now and on a perfectly loose lead, and she's still never attacked back..even the time she came away with a cut on her head from a terrier breed in the street who wouldn't recall when the owner is shouting it's friendly.. again she hid from it because she's scared and my ankle got it.

Annoyingly so, because of her breed its always her fault, even though I cross roads, double back and hide if I can to protect her.

Dogs will be dogs, but some dogs can't do dogs and are scared, and some dog owners need to understand that.

I should add that this isn't aimed at you, it's in general and just to tell the other side x

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Most of us give the best years of our lives to training and studying for work and careers. Some jobs are just a continuation of learning and adapting to stay current. What sort of job takes 20 years of training?
6 years undergraduate, now in my ninth year of working. Had to cut my hours due to a work induced disability which will mean my training takes twice as long
If I wasn’t an nhs worker I wouldn’t have the chronic incurable condition that I now have as I developed it through work 👍🏻
I don’t think anyone can understand what it does to you to work in the nhs frontline. Ive seen people die in front of me, the youngest was 18. But yeah, just like any other job.
Sad people just see the nhs as an under performing business. I don’t agree with the veneration of the nhs (I don’t need your clapping) but it’s more than that, there for us at our lowest ebb and in our hour of need with no credit card or insurance details required. People won’t miss it until it’s gone. But they’ll keep voting the same idiots into government regardless 🤷🏻‍♀️
Sad people just see the nhs as an under performing business. I don’t agree with the veneration of the nhs (I don’t need your clapping) but it’s more than that, there for us at our lowest ebb and in our hour of need with no credit card or insurance details required. People won’t miss it until it’s gone. But they’ll keep voting the same idiots into government regardless 🤷🏻‍♀️

Game of thrones is highly overrated 🫣
Last series was wank. Books are top notch though, wish he would finish them

• Angry
Reactions: 9
Yes, too many beurocrats and not enough spreading of funding. The NHS should not be wasting money on non-medical posts like non-jobs- " diversity officers" etc , soaking up fat wages across the UK that should be spent on NHS stuff in the first instance.
I must comnend the NHS staff and service, its looked after me very well over the years and I'm quite unwell.
A&E, the last time I was there, with a friend all day, was clogged up with people with sports injuries, all coming in one after the other. All self-inflicted & we overheard one say to a nurse, I saw you last week , you treated me ( rugby player).
That, in my opinion, is the problem with A&E. 1/2 of the patients have self,inflicted issues that could have been avoided, and they use the A&E almost weekly, or fortnightly.
It was a real eye-opener. No wonder really ill people are waiting around sometimes, stuck behind all these idiots using the NHS resources.
I do get where you’re coming from but if people avoided doing things that could potentially cause them harm then nobody would do anything. Everything carries an element of risk, people injure themselves taking a leisurely walk down the street, cycling to work, driving down the motorway etc. Exercise on the whole is good for one’s physical and mental health. As a nation of fatties we don’t need less people exercising for fear of burdening the nhs with a potential injury.

I’d argue that a fit and proper NHS would be able to deal with all patients in a timely manner regardless of how they sustained their injuries. The fact that waiting times are so long isn’t the fault of the people coming in to use the service, it’s due to the inefficient way the service is ran.

The whole thing needs a huge shake up. Nothing will ever change unless things within the nhs change. I don’t mean the frontline staff themselves, the majority of nhs staff I’ve come across have been good, but the processes that lead to so much waste in terms of time, money and physical resources needs to be looked at. Frontline staff don’t usually have the power to change these things sadly. That post about them not taking back crutches is unbelievable. I’d always assumed you were expected to return crutches to the hospital or who ever gave them to you when you were done with them. That seems like the most common sense thing to do rather than giving them away and buying more in. How many people have a set of crutches in their shed from when they broke their leg 15 years ago sitting there doing nothing? I knew the nhs didn’t always make the best financial decisions but reading things like this still boggles my mind. Do the people who make these kinds of decisions not realise how stupid they are? Or do they not care because they know they will never be held to account?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.