Unpopular Opinions #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is a thread for Unpopular Opinons. Enter at you own risk. You may not like some of the things posted.

Last discussing Rainbow Bridges .... and fig rolls obviously šŸ˜‰

440px-Fig-Newtons-Stacked.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'll start us off then, My UO is that people shouldn't be able to make a "career" out of being on benefits their entire life like they do where i live, loads of kids, never had a job in their life, get everything paid for them and know how to work the system to the max. They are doing it because the system allows it but it shouldn't work that people can be better off claiming benefits than going to work.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
I'll start us off then, My UO is that people shouldn't be able to make a "career" out of being on benefits their entire life like they do where i live, loads of kids, never had a job in their life, get everything paid for them and know how to work the system to the max. They are doing it because the system allows it but it shouldn't work that people can be better off claiming benefits than going to work.
I never understand how people get away with it. You literally have some people crawling into a benefit office because they are so disabled or ill and being refused whilst others get benefits because their mother died 10 years ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
The system is easily abused and massively flawed - i was better off on benefits than when I was working part time. Now I work full time, and still rely on benefit top up to survive the month šŸ¤”

• Sad
Reactions: 15
I never understand how people get away with it. You literally have some people crawling into a benefit office because they are so disabled or ill and being refused whilst others get benefits because their mother died 10 years ago.
my flatmate always tells me about some bloke he knows who just keeps popping out a kid so the dole never pester him and who hasnt had an actual job in decades. Also someone he knows who works and gets benefit. Last time I signed on i was pretty much harrassed .. as early as 3 weeks in it was why havent you found a job etc etc? and by the end they were trying to force me to take a job I kid you not sniffing candles and feeling towels for only 2 hrs guaranteed work a week at Ā£20 total.. less than a benefit payment, certainly less than minimum wage and certainly not enough to live on as a single woman.

This is the reason (without going into a full dossier of my harrassment and hounding by the DWP staff) why i lived on my savings for over 2 almost 2 1/2 years and only had to go crawling back when I literally had minus Ā£34 in my bank the other week..my particular jobcentre like to target the older single woman and force them into badly paid work or sanction them etc.. seeing them as easy targets especially if they don't have children I know a highly skilled and qualified woman forced into cleaning work by the DWP and her health is just not up to it at her age

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Snitches at work are the worst, the ones who go running to the manager over every little thing. Unless itā€™s something actually serious that could be a safety risk or something mind your business.

The no coats inside rule that seems to be present in most secondary schools is a dumb rule. Just let the kids take off their coat when they get to their class rather than the second they walk through the door. Who is it hurting? Students having to ask to remove their blazer is another silly one, theyā€™re supposed to be getting more responsibility as they get older, theyā€™re expected to be responsible for their books, homework, having the right equipment etc. Yet canā€™t even be allowed to decide for themselves if itā€™s warm enough to remove their blazer or not? Dreading when my kids get to secondary school as they seem to have so many pointless rules these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28
I think it's two things at play

First, people from generations of benefits claimers are taught from childhood how to scam and work the system. They all know exactly what to say and how to say it.

Second, i think the staff know the career claimers and just can't be bothered with them. They know they are never gonna get a job no matter how many sanctions or whatever, so they concentrate on people they think they can actually get into work.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
My UO is that not everyone should get a vote simply because they exist. Why should my vote count for the same as someone who uses the word ā€˜mebbeā€™ and whose lack of basic sentence punctuation means I nearly pass out reading their rants because thereā€™s nowhere to take a breath

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
Keeps them out of trouble though. If you're lazy and thick as tit and didn't get benefits, you might resort to thieving, selling drugs, selling your body, or becoming an online influencer :ROFLMAO: society doesn't need any more of that.

Reactions: 12
Keeps them out of trouble though. If you're lazy and thick as tit and didn't get benefits, you might resort to thieving, selling drugs, selling your body, or becoming an online influencer :ROFLMAO: society doesn't need any more of that.
Yeah but a lot of people do those things and still claim too

Reactions: 9
Its too easy to punch down, when the real problems are at the top.
I think it's a chicken and egg situation. Whilst I'm anti hustle culture and very much working / middle class, I'm sickened by the amount of people I know personally who actively trick the system and believe its their right. I know one Man who has been on benefits for 25 years and always has money for the pub and takeaways, but never managed to secure a job. I know a couple of women who pretend their partner doesn't live with them so they can claim lone parents allowance. Whilst the problem is certainly at the top, I don't see that as a reason to not try in life and expect handouts. IMO, benefits should exist only as a short term measure or for those who genuinely can't work.

Reactions: 14
I think it's a chicken and egg situation. Whilst I'm anti hustle culture and very much working / middle class, I'm sickened by the amount of people I know personally who actively trick the system and believe its their right. I know one Man who has been on benefits for 25 years and always has money for the pub and takeaways, but never managed to secure a job. I know a couple of women who pretend their partner doesn't live with them so they can claim lone parents allowance. Whilst the problem is certainly at the top, I don't see that as a reason to not try in life and expect handouts. IMO, benefits should exist only as a short term measure or for those who genuinely can't work.
Benefit loopholes and abuse - uber rich & their tax schemes.

Put a system in place where you get something for nothing, it will be abused. It's just easier to slate it or pass judgement when its packaged as lower class.

I get why it annoys people, I just can't get angry over it when there is so much more wasted money at the top end.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Put a system in place where you get something for nothing, it will be abused. It's just easier to slate it or pass judgement when its packaged as lower class.

I get why it annoys people, I just can't get angry over it when there is so much more wasted money at the top end.
I suppose I see it through the opposite lense. It doesn't make me as mad to see the rich wasting money they've generated or earned. Tax evasion etc is abhorrent too and offenders should be penalised, but i still don't see how it negates benefit fraud?

Reactions: 7
My UO is that not everyone should get a vote simply because they exist. Why should my vote count for the same as someone who uses the word ā€˜mebbeā€™ and whose lack of basic sentence punctuation means I nearly pass out reading their rants because thereā€™s nowhere to take a breath
Or actually types gorgeous as ā€œgawjusā€, makes me want to rip my eyeballs out, phones bloody autocorrect everything no matter how bad your spelling is!

If I was chancellor thatā€™d be my first thing to fix, If Amazon donā€™t want to pay correct tax here then they can naff off, if the companies that should pay the right amount of tax actually did so then there wouldnā€™t be so many issues further along the line like with nhs funding etc

I suppose I see it through the opposite lense. It doesn't make me as mad to see the rich wasting money they've generated or earned. Tax evasion etc is abhorrent too and offenders should be penalised, but i still don't see how it negates benefit fraud?
Oh I dont think it negates it, but theres more money to be recouped from the top and generally it is all seeped in classism, the punching down. They earned their money, so that can abuse loopholes to keep more of it, while the gap between rich and poor stretches further, ya know? I think people believe there is more benefit fraud going on than there actually is.

I said it on an older thread, but classism is a massive problem here.

Reactions: 17
I couldn't care less about "spoilers" for movies, TV, etc. and people who whine about it annoy me. I watch a show that recently had an episode accidentally released early on a streaming site, and people were falling all over themselves to be fan police "don't talk about it or draw attention to it, it's supposed to be a surprise, don't share the episode or give spoilers, etc. etc." Who the hell cares? I don't like waiting for things and I can't stand this childish fixation with "we have to wait, no spoilers!"

Can be generally extrapolated to "I hate waiting", "I don't like surprises, even ones that are supposed to be nice," and "I believe in doing things ASAP not waiting for some supposed right time"

I couldn't care less about "spoilers" for movies, TV, etc. and people who whine about it annoy me. I watch a show that recently had an episode accidentally released early on a streaming site, and people were falling all over themselves to be fan police "don't talk about it or draw attention to it, it's supposed to be a surprise, don't share the episode or give spoilers, etc. etc." Who the hell cares? I don't like waiting for things and I can't stand this childish fixation with "we have to wait, no spoilers!"

Can be generally extrapolated to "I hate waiting", "I don't like surprises, even ones that are supposed to be nice," and "I believe in doing things ASAP not waiting for some supposed right time"

I really hate surprises. Even the good ones.

Reactions: 8
When diversity or representation rather than good story telling becomes the focus of a TV programme or a movie, that is always a good indication that it will suck a big one.

Reactions: 28
Oh I dont think it negates it, but theres more money to be recouped from the top and generally it is all seeped in classism, the punching down. They earned their money, so that can abuse loopholes to keep more of it, while the gap between rich and poor stretches further, ya know? I think people believe there is more benefit fraud going on than there actually is.

I said it on an older thread, but classism is a massive problem here.
To add, let's not forget that a lot of people at the top didn't earn their money. It's generational wealth, some of them have had wealth in their families from being mates with a random king and being gifted a patch of land like hundreds of years ago.

Any many don't work hard. It's actually very easy to accrue wealth when daddy's hedge fund manager invests your trust fund for you. Or better yet, daddys mate gives you a cushy job as a hedge fund manager.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.