Unpopular opinions #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know a mum of 5 who claims all of her children are autistic. I’ve met two of them and can tell you they are most definately not!
Stop it, you can’t possibly know that they’re not on the spectrum because to you they don’t appear to be 🤦🏼‍♀️😂😂😂😂😂

Oh god. “Label” is so offensive.

Autism runs in families. I have two autistic kids and if I could have an assessment tomorrow I would. My FIL is also blatantly autistic, but he’s in his 80s so would never have been diagnosed when younger. There’s no question where my kids got it from.

If you met my daughter you would never believe she’s autistic. You can’t meet a child and definitively say that they aren’t autistic! Kids, especially girls, are so adept at masking their traits, even though it causes them huge anxiety and stress. She is “geeky and quirky and otherwise presents as NT”… apart from when she lets her guard down and her traits are more obvious.

I’m sick of people who, frankly, know naff all about autism (beyond the obvious stereotypes) who are so confident that autism is over-diagnosed and parents just want to pretend their kids have difficulties.
Totally agree. Some people are so pig ignorant it baffles me!

Oh god. “Label” is so offensive.

Autism runs in families. I have two autistic kids and if I could have an assessment tomorrow I would. My FIL is also blatantly autistic, but he’s in his 80s so would never have been diagnosed when younger. There’s no question where my kids got it from.

If you met my daughter you would never believe she’s autistic. You can’t meet a child and definitively say that they aren’t autistic! Kids, especially girls, are so adept at masking their traits, even though it causes them huge anxiety and stress. She is “geeky and quirky and otherwise presents as NT”… apart from when she lets her guard down and her traits are more obvious.

I’m sick of people who, frankly, know naff all about autism (beyond the obvious stereotypes) who are so confident that autism is over-diagnosed and parents just want to pretend their kids have difficulties.
Totally agree. Some people are so pig ignorant it baffles me!

Reactions: 6
Stop it, you can’t possibly know that they’re not on the spectrum because to you they don’t appear to be 🤦🏼‍♀️😂😂😂😂😂
No you stop it! 😂
She diagnosed them herself. There is nothing strange or odd about them other than the fact they’re not chavvy like her. How would you know that they possibly are? You don’t know them. As I said there are people out there who can’t resist a label.

Some people here. 🧐

• Sick
Reactions: 11
No you stop it! 😂
She diagnosed them herself. There is nothing strange or odd about them. How would you know that they possibly are? You don’t know them.

Some people.
I don’t know whether they are or aren’t, the point is you cannot say they aren’t because they don’t appear to be.
That’s a fact.

I don’t judge something I don’t know! 😂😂

Reactions: 5
I don’t know whether they are or aren’t, the point is you cannot say they aren’t because they don’t appear to be.
That’s a fact.

I don’t judge something I don’t know! 😂😂
But you are though.

You can’t say that they have when you do not even know them or what the person I am referring to is like. Or don’t know the kids.

Calm down Mystic Meg.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I don’t think most autistic people want that sort of pity. I do however think a lot of these parents with multiple “autistic” children, that not all of them are autistic and some of what they are attributing to their siblings is just learnt behaviour from perhaps the one who genuinely is.

I know a mum of 5 who claims all of her children are autistic. I’ve met two of them and can tell you they are most definately not! They’re just a touch on the geeky/quirky side - the sort of teens that like alternative music, growing their hair long and Warhammer. But otherwise function as NT. I personally think she wanted “roadman type” or jack the lad type of children and didn’t get them, so slapped a label on them instead.
The culture now is anyone who isn't mainstream must have something wrong with them.

My step son thinks he must be a bit ASD because he not like the other boys. He's not he's just a bit geeky but also not super clever. When I was at school they were just not the cool kids, they didn't have medical lables.

Reactions: 10
The culture now is anyone who isn't mainstream must have something wrong with them.

My step son thinks he must be a bit ASD because he not like the other boys. He's not he's just a bit geeky but also not super clever. When I was at school they were just not the cool kids, they didn't have medical lables.
THIS! Is exactly what I am getting at.

Just because they aren’t the mainstream, “cool” kids or a bit aloof and prefer the library to football or Warhammer to PS4 it doesn’t mean they automatically have bloody autism! or any other spectrum disorder.

• Angry
Reactions: 15
Having a diagnosis has become the “in thing.” Loads of adult women are now suddenly ADHD and loving posting about on Instagram. In reality they’re probably just lazy and unorganised but a label makes much better content.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
A very good example of this is my oldest son was suspected by a professional of having ODD (oppositional defiance disorder) they wanted me to fill in all these forms about his early childhood so he can be assessed but we are not interested! He can be a bit a reluctant to do as he is told by authority. Never been in trouble with law, he just isn’t keen on teachers or the school system and is cheeky more than nasty spirited and will do whatever he can to avoid doing actual school work or defying teachers to get a reaction or laugh (for context he is in the last year of high school). This was just called standard teenage rebellion or even considered a class clown in my day, it didn’t have an “official label”. It’s getting silly.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 14

Just because they aren’t the mainstream, “cool” kids or a bit aloof and prefer the library to football or Warhammer to PS4 it doesn’t mean they automatically have bloody autism! or any other spectrum disorder.
everyone needs a label these days to fit in. Its like girls who can’t be tom boys or boys can’t just want to play with dolls, they are ‘non binary’ or trans.

i’m with you on the people who just label. I was in this line of work so i have seen first hand parents who are keen to get an autism diagnosis because their kids aren’t acting in a way they think they should be.

Reactions: 13
Unpopular opinion, I can never see the point of dry January. Seems like a pointless exercise. I also think it's usually the one's who have an alcohol problem that are the one's to drivel on about it. 🍸🍸🍸

Reactions: 19
Unpopular opinion, I can never see the point of dry January. Seems like a pointless exercise. I also think it's usually the one's who have an alcohol problem that are the one's to drivel on about it. 🍸🍸🍸
Yep. Anyone who thinks it's a success to be able to brag they haven't had a drink for a month as if it's something to be proud of, has a problem with alcohol.

Reactions: 23
a lot of chav parents want their kids to have something wrong with them for the extra benefits and support they get offered.

adults like a label because it makes them quirky and unique.

nowadays if you don’t have a mental illness or your not gay/bi/a man trapped in a woman’s body or visa versa
Your boring.

Reactions: 28

Exactly, and if it's not ASD it's a bleeping weird gender. I'm not a girly girl but I still like doing my hair and makeup, I must be non binary.

Id also add that highlighting that some people self diagnose themselves or their kids is in no way saying everyone who claimes they have anxiety, or kids have autism or whatever is a big blagger.

I don't know why people get so defensive, if you or your kid actually have ASD, or depression or ADHD or one of the other popular labels, then comments about label collectors etc are obviously not about you.

The fact is that there is a big proportion of people out there that bullshit for attention. I hate the way you can't call up bullshit without people jumping on it all defensive because they aren't a bullshitter.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
a lot of chav parents want their kids to have something wrong with them for the extra benefits and support they get offered.

adults like a label because it makes them quirky and unique.

nowadays if you don’t have a mental illness or your not gay/bi/a man trapped in a woman’s body or visa versa
Your boring.
Or if they haven’t got “fibromyalgia”.

Fair do’s it must be a terrible condition to suffer with… but I’ve seen people base their entire personality on it. Along with the dreaded self diagnosed.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Yep. Anyone who thinks it's a success to be able to brag they haven't had a drink for a month as if it's something to be proud of, has a problem with alcohol.
Well if you do have a drinking problem and you manage a whole month without a drink that's a pretty big achievement is it not.

I used to do dry January, I'm not alcoholic but it's a good way to reset your drinking levels after the over indulgence of Xmas.

Reactions: 12
Unpopular opinion. I think way more people have a drinking problem than we realise. I used to work in a convenience store of a major supermarket. And you wouldn't believe the amount of people who drink excessive amounts daily and think it's normal.

Unpopular opinion. I think it's pretty pathetic when people say that we shouldn't have plus size models because it promotes being unhealthy.
just because a model is slimmer doesn't necessarily mean that they're healthy, if they're taking class a drugs for example (obviously not all slimmer models do this I know), does that make them healthy and A good example??

Reactions: 18
Well if you do have a drinking problem and you manage a whole month without a drink that's a pretty big achievement is it not.

I used to do dry January, I'm not alcoholic but it's a good way to reset your drinking levels after the over indulgence of Xmas.
I think they were referring to the people who partake in Dry January but don’t have an alcohol problem.

I see it as pretty pointless tbh. Like someone who doesn’t have a gambling problem, if they don’t gamble the whole of January they wouldn’t celebrate it or be proud.

But I do think it’s great for people who genuinely want to cut down on their alcohol intake and live a healthier lifestyle.

Reactions: 5
Unpopular opinion. I think way more people have a drinking problem than we realise. I used to work in a convenience store of a major supermarket. And you wouldn't believe the amount of people who drink excessive amounts daily and think it's normal.

Unpopular opinion. I think it's pretty pathetic when people say that we shouldn't have plus size models because it promotes being unhealthy.
just because a model is slimmer doesn't necessarily mean that they're healthy, if they're taking class a drugs for example (obviously not all slimmer models do this I know), does that make them healthy and A good example??
You're right in that just because someone is slim it doesn't mean they are healthy, we can't tell a slim persons health based on how they look.

But we can look at a large model and see they are unhealthy, based solely on the fact they are an unhealthy weight. And when it's your job to be looked at which also influences how other people treat their bodies -you should look healthy.

Obviously the same applies to extremely underweight models too. Really a model should have to always be in a healthy weight range.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.