Unpopular opinions #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Unpopular opinion I held as a school child back when - I hated non uniform days, especially as you got older. Some people, not everyone, got dressed up for it! Not nightclub level or anything but a lot of effort. I actually didnt mind wearing a uniform just didnt like the endless list of overly picky rules around the uniform (precise hem, tie lengths and what colour hair clips you could wear... just stupid)

Reactions: 11
Yes WBD was around but dressing up?
We definitely had WBD in the 90s at school and usually did like reading challenges for it or presentations on books we'd read I think but absolutely no dressing up. It wasn't a big thing. Just another 'event' teachers could plan English lessons around that week.

Reactions: 4
Unpopular opinion. I don't see why people have to tell everyone that their child is autistic. It's not an unpopular thing to have. In Ireland nearly every second child has it or some sort of sensory issue. And it' annoys the life out of me when they make an Instagram page their child being autistic. Making money , getting freebies. Embarrassing you're child on public platforms. People having 4 kids and the four of them being autistic? Why did you stop at the second child if the second has it. Poor children I feel sorry for.

• Sick
Reactions: 24
Unpopular opinion but I think artificial grass looks absolutely shite and I would almost go as far as to say quite tacky in people's gardens.
Nearish to where I live they are building an estate and it’s caused an uproar because they are wanting to exclusively use fake grass, even on the communal areas!

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Unpopular opinion. I don't see why people have to tell everyone that their child is autistic. It's not an unpopular thing to have. In Ireland nearly every second child has it or some sort of sensory issue. And it' annoys the life out of me when they make an Instagram page their child being autistic. Making money , getting freebies. Embarrassing you're child on public platforms. People having 4 kids and the four of them being autistic? Why did you stop at the second child if the second has it. Poor children I feel sorry for.
Some parents (mainly the ones who have nothing else going on in their lives) make their child’s situation all about themselves, they thrive on the attention it brings them. Its very sad to see.

the child is the one suffering so stop making it about yourself, twats!

Reactions: 18
Dreadful. The tele goes on about her as if she's some sort of National Treasure

Not in this bloody house, she isn't
Sheridan Smith - typical stage school amateur acting and singing akin to your average pub, karaoke. I don’t see the hype. I’ve always wondered if she has upheld this national treasure image because she looks like your typical, very average girl next door.

She doesn’t even do comedy well and was the least funny in Two Pints. Which in my UO was a terrible show.

Reactions: 8
I used to love watching Two Pints when I was younger but I don’t think the show has aged very well.
I preferred The Royle Family, but her character seemed a bit pointless and “fillerish” in that. RF hasn’t aged well either. Not many British comedy sitcoms from that era have.

Reactions: 6
Some parents (mainly the ones who have nothing else going on in their lives) make their child’s situation all about themselves, they thrive on the attention it brings them. Its very sad to see.

Sounds to me this Category of parents have Munchausen by proxy syndrome, purely attention seeking 😣

Sheridan Smith - typical stage school amateur acting and singing akin to your average pub, karaoke. I don’t see the hype. I’ve always wondered if she has upheld this national treasure image because she looks like your typical, very average girl next door.

She doesn’t even do comedy well and was the least funny in Two Pints. Which in my UO was a terrible show.
This reminds me, I remember the musical episode with Sheridans character in two pints singing songs in it and I thought she was a great singer, I was surprised and hoped she'd maybe bring out a song. I haven't heard her sing anything else as I don't keep up with public figures, but sounds like that part of her career didn't take off then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Yep that’s exactly it. I used to work worh children who had special needs and the parents I would come across 🤦🏽‍♀️ the kids were honestly better looked after in carehomes and not used for attention

• Sad
I don’t think most autistic people want that sort of pity. I do however think a lot of these parents with multiple “autistic” children, that not all of them are autistic and some of what they are attributing to their siblings is just learnt behaviour from perhaps the one who genuinely is.

I know a mum of 5 who claims all of her children are autistic. I’ve met two of them and can tell you they are most definately not! They’re just a touch on the geeky/quirky side - the sort of teens that like alternative music, growing their hair long and Warhammer. But otherwise function as NT. I personally think she wanted “roadman type” or jack the lad type of children and didn’t get them, so slapped a label on them instead.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
My daughter is autistic and the only people who know are me, her dad and her school. (And the whole of tattle now 😂).

She deserves to have her privacy. She's 12 and doesn't speak at school but other pupils just assume she's quiet and shy 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I don’t think most autistic people want that sort of pity. I do however think a lot of these parents with multiple “autistic” children, that not all of them are autistic and some of what they are attributing to their siblings is just learnt behaviour from perhaps the one who genuinely is.

I know a mum of 5 who claims all of her children are autistic. I’ve met two of them and can tell you they are most definately not! They’re just a touch on the geeky/quirky side - the sort of teens that like alternative music, growing their hair long and Warhammer. But otherwise function as NT. I personally think she wanted “roadman type” or jack the lad type of children and didn’t get them, so slapped a label on them instead.
Oh god. “Label” is so offensive.

Autism runs in families. I have two autistic kids and if I could have an assessment tomorrow I would. My FIL is also blatantly autistic, but he’s in his 80s so would never have been diagnosed when younger. There’s no question where my kids got it from.

If you met my daughter you would never believe she’s autistic. You can’t meet a child and definitively say that they aren’t autistic! Kids, especially girls, are so adept at masking their traits, even though it causes them huge anxiety and stress. She is “geeky and quirky and otherwise presents as NT”… apart from when she lets her guard down and her traits are more obvious.

I’m sick of people who, frankly, know naff all about autism (beyond the obvious stereotypes) who are so confident that autism is over-diagnosed and parents just want to pretend their kids have difficulties.

• Heart
Reactions: 24

Absolutely this! A friend of a friend is in this scenario at the moment. They are 10+ posts a day about the kid including check-ins at various clinics, hospital visits due to tantrums etc. she has defined her life around being the mum of an autistic child but seems to be thriving on the attention munchausen-style. It’s very odd, very uncomfortable and very unnecessary.

I just think that treating your children as content creation on an open account is so so wrong on every level.
Whether its to showcase their autism, their appearance, their sporting prowess - its just not appropriate.
The worst for me is when 'influencers' actually show their child's bedroom - where they sleep etc. That is so so private to my mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Autism runs in families. I have two autistic kids and if I could have an assessment tomorrow I would. My FIL is also blatantly autistic, but he’s in his 80s so would never have been diagnosed when younger. There’s no question where my kids got it from.

If you met my daughter you would never believe she’s autistic. You can’t meet a child and definitively say that they aren’t autistic! Kids, especially girls, are so adept at masking their traits, even though it causes them huge anxiety and stress. She is “geeky and quirky and otherwise presents as NT”… apart from when she lets her guard down and her traits are more obvious.

I’m sick of people who, frankly, know naff all about autism (beyond the obvious stereotypes) who are so confident that autism is over-diagnosed and parents just want to pretend their kids have difficulties.
Yes good points @maytoseptember I wanted to say something on the subject, but you expressed it much better than me.
I do think that autism can be quite hidden especially when children are high functioning, in a way they are also penalised for coping so well,(no one takes them or their parents seriously sometimes) and as you pointed out, masking traits in order to fit in, and be socially acceptable, is quite common.
I also know of all the stress that causes, I see it in my son since he started a special school he is thriving, but at home and in private, I can almost see him decompress and let go of all the accumulated tension.
I have 3 children with ASD and they acknowledge it, but they don't go on about it, or feel sorry for themselves (that's other people's projections)?
I think people forget that it's a spectrum and that every child presents differently?
I agree the stereotyping isn't helpful, and if you've had to fight to access help or a diagnosis, it can feel a bit insulting for people to infer that you're exaggerating or your children don't really have difficulties, yeah I'm not imaging it, or want it to be true so I can claim benefits or humble brag on Facebook.Also I agree that there is a genetic component to it (that I didn't know of initially until I became a parent, I later learnt that I have it myself, but I only found that out by seeing it in my kids).
Society is so behind on this .. ignorance is not bliss but added hardship. 🤷‍♀️
Maybe a minority of parents become over protective or over zealous about educating people,(Been there in all honesty)....but then maybe that's because they feel better being vocal or more visible (inclusive) or acting as an advocate for their family, because society does not have a good track record of being accomodating or helpful to autistic people.
Who often were either misdiagnosed or locked away in institutions, not that long ago and let's not forget Leo kanner and his dubious theory about refrigerator mother's.
So mother's of autistic children can still feel blamed and not taken seriously, and who can blame them?

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Actually my 13 year old son is autistic and was diagnosed at the age of 2. He will not function in society or ever be independent but he doesn’t want any pity, to him it’s just who he is. So I certainly don’t know “naff all”. What I would say is classic text book autism. Unfocused eyes, limp hands, jumpy movements, abnormal speech pattern as well as the typical social traits and melt downs. Completely non verbal until the age of 7. He goes to respite which will help him try and gain some independence. My brother is has high functioning autism/ what used to be called Asperger’s and wasn’t diagnosed until adulthood. All my male cousins on my maternal side have autism (diagnosed by professionals) so I am VERY aware it can run in families. My maternal grandmother although never diagnosed because it wasn’t a thing back then I suspect has it. I don’t wish to self diagnose but at one point she was actually declared “insane” and lived in a home of sorts for a while. She is extremely insular, socially very awkward and has melt downs. She is 80 also. So I also suspect where it “come from”.

And yes far TOO many people diagnose their children themselves and make it a personality trait that they are a parent of an autistic child without no prompt or even professional opinion and they are the type of people I am getting at. The lady I mentioned in my comment has 2 out of 5 of her children professionally diagnosed but decided herself they all have it. They slap autism on them because they are a bit quirky, shy or aren’t stereotypically into things other children are. In many cases it is just that and they function and crack on with life. Yes I understand masking and everything else that can make autistic people seem NT but in many cases parents have decided their child fits a few traits from Google and run with it without ever seeking a professional opinion. Many people enjoy “labels” these days. People are labelling themselves with pronouns fgs or use their public profiles to display what medical conditions they have, wether they are single or married, their parental status and everything else. There are a lot of label collectors out there and unfortunately people who wish to rinse the system or gain attention from it! I don’t know why you found my comment so offensive because wether or not you like it, yes label collectors exist! And theyre not few and far between either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
UO: Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Imagine Dragons, Mumford and Sons, Bastille, Dua Lipa and Adele are all tit and people that exclusively listen to whatever is on the charts baffle me immensely. Especially when they listen to it really quietly and it sounds super tinny. Would rather hear someone take a dump, not even joking

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.