Unpopular opinions #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do English schools not put much effort into reading then ,my sons school is very strict when it comes to the reading they have to understand what the book is about not just read the words ,they're tested regularly on things like that.
Iā€™m currently training to become a primary school teacher and the school Iā€™ve been placed with there is a big emphasis on the importance on reading and Iā€™m sure most others share this value. However, teacher canā€™t control what children do at home so often the ten minutes in the morning or couple minutes throughout the day are the only times some children are encouraged to read. Schools try their best but if children arenā€™t encouraged to read at home they often wonā€™t and so it becomes quite difficult to in still a want to read. Especially today when most kids have devices at home they can consume entertainment on much more easily.

Reactions: 6
I like animals (cats in particular) more than humans. I hate people more and more each day. šŸ˜‡
I hate to break it to you but I donā€™t think this is an UO. If anybody can name five people they actually like, family not included, then Iā€™d be amazed. Where as I have a never ending list of animals I do like

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Factual inaccuracies in films.. Is it SO hard to check? We have the internet now it takes seconds..Just watching a French film where the whole point of the plot is centered around when he met his wife in July 1974... at a party they are playing Yes Sir I can Boogie by Baccara a well known hit released in 1977...šŸ™„

Do English schools not put much effort into reading then ,my sons school is very strict when it comes to the reading they have to understand what the book is about not just read the words ,they're tested regularly on things like that.
I never understand when they say in this day and age that so and so has left school unable to read or write.. when I was younger we had to write on the blackboard and read aloud in class. I don't have kids so not sure how they are taught anymore but this boggles my mind as to who someone in the 21st Century can go through education between the ages of 5 to 16 approx and it not coming to anyones attention that they cannot read as a teen.

Obviously I am not talking about anyone with any kind of learning difficulties

UO - those long fake eyelashes that are so big that you canā€™t even see their eyes. They are so chavy and look ridiculous. I donā€™t understand how the person wearing them thinks they look good šŸ‘€
I always say that about the orange faces and sharpied eyebrows... where do they get the idea from that this looks good? Genuine question

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Branston beans are nicer than Heinz.

Heinz mayo is better than Hellmans.

Salad Cream is superior to mayo.

Reactions: 12
Genuinely curious, maybe Iā€™m thick šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø but do you not get letters and stuff about it? What does the removing all implied rights of access thing mean? Would love to not pay every month.
years ago I was in a book club with a couple who said they didn't have a tv but would regularly get the TV licensing people call and be refuse to believe that they didnt

Some boring UOs for you:
- Mainstream/mass produced designs, adverts, cartoons and things like that seem a lot less creative nowadays....
- Rose gold isn't nice.
- BLT, chicken salad and chicken mayo sandwiches are :sick::sick:...
Rose gold isn't nice at all!! It just looks tarnished!!!

Reactions: 4
Branston beans are nicer than Heinz.

Heinz mayo is better than Hellmans.

Salad Cream is superior to mayo.
Heinz mayo is the absolute best

The light one still tastes like mayo unlike every other light mayo ever made

Reactions: 2
Iā€™m currently training to become a primary school teacher and the school Iā€™ve been placed with there is a big emphasis on the importance on reading and Iā€™m sure most others share this value. However, teacher canā€™t control what children do at home so often the ten minutes in the morning or couple minutes throughout the day are the only times some children are encouraged to read. Schools try their best but if children arenā€™t encouraged to read at home they often wonā€™t and so it becomes quite difficult to in still a want to read. Especially today when most kids have devices at home they can consume entertainment on much more easily.
Yes thatā€™s true, my sons school do accelerated reading as well as their normal class reading where they have to read and understand the books to accumulate points throughout the year heā€™s gone through numerous novels that way .

Reactions: 1
I hate to break it to you but I donā€™t think this is an UO. If anybody can name five people they actually like, family not included, then Iā€™d be amazed. Where as I have a never ending list of animals I do like
That's mešŸ§ā€ā™€ I like people very easily and quickly, it's almost embarrassing.

It winds me up when people have more emotive reactions to animals than people. My mum will happily watch true crime, hospital programmes where people are suffering and dying, child abuse stories but cannot for the life of her sit through a nature documentary where animals are just doing what nature intended (hunting).
The Pen Farthing thing made me go spare.

Reactions: 6
I never understand when they say in this day and age that so and so has left school unable to read or write.. when I was younger we had to write on the blackboard and read aloud in class. I don't have kids so not sure how they are taught anymore but this boggles my mind as to who someone in the 21st Century can go through education between the ages of 5 to 16 approx and it not coming to anyones attention that they cannot read as a teen.

Obviously I am not talking about anyone with any kind of learning difficulties.
i watched the documentary that tommy from the repair shop did about learning to read in adulthood and poor reading/writing skills are actually common among (mainly) men currently aged 50+ (so i guess in school in the 60s/70s) especially if theyā€™re from more working class backgrounds.

i used to work a customer facing role dealing with a lot of paperwork and used to frequently get older men coming in to ask for help with forms etc because they couldnā€™t read or write beyond the absolute basics. one man told me he went to a ā€œroughā€ school, was seen as a troublemaker and spent most of his time being sent out of classes and then dropped out of comprehensive school and so just never learnt, was never read to at home, got a manual job where he didnā€™t need to, and then had always relied on other people to interpret for him.

not saying itā€™s hugely common and likely doesnā€™t happen much anymore, but thereā€™s definitely a recent age group that struggle with it.

Reactions: 7
I am ashamed to admit that I played Gary Glitter's greatest hits CD for pass the parcel and musical chairs for my child's 5th birthday. The kids loved it and sang and danced along. However, this was way before the man took his computer to PC World and was discovered to be a repulsive human being. Even though his music is good sing-a-long pop, I would never willingly listen to it now. I hope he dies in prison.
I was a teen when he was in his musical prime he was a huge part of my younger teen years. I don't feel shame about that, I've not listened to any of his stuff since. I also remember laughing to almost the point of wetting myself when watching it's a knockout and refuse to feel ashamed or guilty about that.

I haven't had a license for many years and have not watched the BBC for a long time before that. And no not because I'm tight but because they hid the truth about Saville ( amongst other things) and now they are going to make a profit off him and people are ok about that.

As I said and will carry on saying, Hypocrites all of them

Reactions: 5
Restricted access to support leads to delays in development; SALT is near impossible to get, reading can be affected, writing. Lack of available support, and understanding, of dyslexia still.. having 2 children go through the process of SALT and SEN, I can sadly understand why there are kids going through school struggling with reading and writing skills.

Reactions: 9
Itā€™s not as hard to make time to exercise as most people make out, most people are just lazy.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I wouldnā€™t even pay the licence even when I did watch the BBC. If that makes me a tight arse in the eyes of some I couldnā€™t give a balloon knot. I wonā€™t buy a TV then pay to watch it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.