Unpopular opinions #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Shakes head at Performative actions...

Sainsburys renames Chicken Kiev to Chicken Kviv..

is this going to make a blind bit of difference to Putin and his actions? I suspect not
Better Naked done it with their vegan Kiev days ago so they’ve just ripped off their awful idea, which makes it even worse 🙄 I hope no food will be wasted for this stunt.

Reactions: 2
Better Naked done it with their vegan Kiev days ago so they’ve just ripped off their awful idea, which makes it even worse 🙄 I hope no food will be wasted for this stunt.

See loads of vodka poured down the drain. Do they really think they are hurting Russia? No, you daft sods you already bought the vodka so you only hurt your purse not Russias

• Angry
Reactions: 20
I

Granted that cancer, chron’s & CF are all physical illnesses. (Sad to read re: the childhood death)

But, BPD & EUPD are mental illnesses that sit under the ‘Cluster B’ umbrella of personality disorders. People with these types of disorders struggle to regulate their feelings which leads to patterns of behaviours others describe as dramatic, unpredictable and disturbing.

Most people with a Cluster B disorder will have suffered some kind of trauma, neglect or abandonment as children. Which leads to the development of the disorder.

Not all people with BPD/EUPD are simply just a witch. And people who are simply just witches don’t always have personality disorders. (Most of the time they don’t) Mental illnesses are complex, so to suggest they aren’t real illnesses sadly invalidates the real sufferers.

I know this is the unpopular opinion thread (& most of the time it’s a laugh) but it’s really sad to see such stigma and ignorance around mental health.
My view of BPD is informed by my own diagnosis of complex PTSD which can manifest itself similarly. It's why I attract BPD friends I think - I've got quite a lot of patience with them because I understand why their thought processes work the way they do. I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for their illness, but I can understand why people distance themselves for the sake of their own mental health. I had to cut one friend off because every time I did anything without her she'd call and text me over and over again threatening to self harm because I hadn't invited her.

I do think the Tik Tok generation has glamorised various mental illnesses though, when the reality is they're life ruiners.

Reactions: 13
My view of BPD is informed by my own diagnosis of complex PTSD which can manifest itself similarly. It's why I attract BPD friends I think - I've got quite a lot of patience with them because I understand why their thought processes work the way they do. I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for their illness, but I can understand why people distance themselves for the sake of their own mental health. I had to cut one friend off because every time I did anything without her she'd call and text me over and over again threatening to self harm because I hadn't invited her.

I do think the Tik Tok generation has glamorised various mental illnesses though, when the reality is they're life ruiners.
Same here I have CPTSD too (professionally diagnosed, not self diagnosed from teenagers on Tik Tok! Which I agree a lot of this glamorisation of mental health and wearing it like a badge of honour these days stems from) and this is the reason I tend to distance myself from people who may cause damage to my own mental health. I also understand that just because I have trauma it doesn’t mean it’s a get out clause to behave horrific to those around me. Nor would I ever introduce myself on any of my socials as a CPTSD “survivor/sufferer/warrior”. It ain’t the be all or end all of my personality and unless in a relative discussion I wouldn’t otherwise even bring it up!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thank you for this and the to person you quoted too. I have 3 out of 5 children diagnosed but I think the other two are autistic too, just more able to mask. It's clearly hereditary along with the ADHD which two of them have. I'm not on Instagram etc, the most I've mentioned it is on here, mainly because it's anonymous.
I do feel blamed as a parent but realistically I'm not at fault for my genetics. It's very clear it's passed down through generations.
Some days I feel rage about how people don't understand but other days I have no fight because I've used it on dealing with my actual life. Today is one of the latter.
I desperately wish more people understood.
I feel the same @TwooTwooTwitTwitTwoo it's demoralising sometimes isn't it? I try not to let it get to me, but sometimes when people come out with unkind comments I find it hurtful as well, and frustrating, because I feel like some people are on the outside looking in,and they just don't understand.🤷‍♀️
I get this whole performative culture on social media, yes it does exist, and it does seem to attract narcissists and people that exaggerate or would do anything for attention or validation, but I'm definitely not one of those people, I suspect most people aren't like that. (I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt)
I don't have or do any social media, I'm not comfortable with it, or want my kids over exposed, I think maybe some people are just getting the wrong idea about autism or parents who have autistic kids.
Frankly i',m too tired to put on a performance,or beg and I'm the last person to (as has been said on here, yes I know it wasn't personally directed at me, but even so I don't find it helpful,) take advantage of the situation for benefits or freebies or feel entitled because I have special needs kids :rolleyes:Oh please! My brain doesn't work like that, if anything I have been the opposite, too honest and open and taken advantage of (and yes I find that embarrassing to admit to), so have my kids to a lesser extent bullying and exclusion are real,also in my son's case being too kind (that's not a humble brag, it's been working against him),it's hard to see people who would take advantage of them, but some have tried.
Thankfully the school have been supportive and aware and we nipped it in the bud, together but yes people can be shady and not very nice and it was difficult for my son to learn that.
I'm 44 and it's been hard for me to learn that as well, (I think I've just had a delayed response to most things in life) but I've also because of that awareness of my own weaknesses if you will, set more boundaries and become more strict, kids are a reflection of ourselves sometimes and vica versa, for good or for bad, but everything has two sides and I feel like only one side is focused on? (The more negative or problematic one) maybe that's what generates attention? That's unfortunate though because I understand and accept autism it's integrated, it's a part of our family but it's not the only part.
Yes they know they are autistic but it's not the big deal to them, that the world seems to think it is, they are modest and rather Shy even withdrawn.
So again I don't understand this supposed exhibitionism or attention seeking either coming from parents or kids with autism.:rolleyes:
Or this stereotype of a feckless grifter parent/con artist is lost on me?
Honestly I don't know anyone like that in real life,. Yes there must be a small minority of very dysfunctional people who maybe go through life using everything as a means to an end, and it looks like (unfortunately) maybe they are the ones who make the most noise, and get the most negative attention.
I guess that's true in life in general, but it's a shame because I don't think it's representative of most parents.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Same here I have CPTSD too (professionally diagnosed, not self diagnosed from teenagers on Tik Tok! Which I agree a lot of this glamorisation of mental health and wearing it like a badge of honour these days stems from) and this is the reason I tend to distance myself from people who may cause damage to my own mental health. I also understand that just because I have trauma it doesn’t mean it’s a get out clause to behave horrific to those around me. Nor would I ever introduce myself on any of my socials as a CPTSD “survivor/sufferer/warrior”. It ain’t the be all or end all of my personality and unless in a relative discussion I wouldn’t otherwise even bring it up!
I'm absolutely 100% the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
In my experience people that don’t drink always tell everyone and act superior to those of us who like a glass or two.
There’s a person in my uni group like that, always saying how they’d never drink and they don’t need it to have a good time. They’re a nice enough person but it is a bit of a turn off that anytime alcohol’s mentioned they have to mention it.

Reactions: 6
I had a period of not drinking at all and it’s fine. I went on nights out and enjoyed them. Best bit was being able to take the car.

When I do drink I do it to get the buzz from it. I can’t be doing with just having the one. I get disappointed if I have a few drinks and don’t feel boozy.

Reactions: 7
There’s a person in my uni group like that, always saying how they’d never drink and they don’t need it to have a good time. They’re a nice enough person but it is a bit of a turn off that anytime alcohol’s mentioned they have to mention it.
Exactly! There's a friend of mine every time we mention drink she bores off about how she doesn't need it and really no one asked

Reactions: 5
I'm not drinking now only because I'm on medication and I actually find it embarrassing to say so. I try not to bring it up if I can help it. I miss it, and it does make me feel like a total bore when I can't join in.

Reactions: 2
So many teetotal Yanks claim it's because they're 'alcoholics'. I used to work with one and it turned out she used to be a bit drunk and rowdy in her college days, you know, like every student in the whole world. She decided she as an alchie and has spent the past 20 years going to AA meetings.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I was diagnosed at 20 with BPD. I was relieved to see it in black and white, it explained everything I had gone through and was going through. I did a lot of work on myself and fought for help. It a real illness and its an exhausting and frustrating one for the sufferer and their loved ones. There will always be people who proudly hide beind their label and do no work on themselves, making it their whole personality.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I thought personality disorders were different to mental health problems?

I feel like all those women in their 30s and 40s self diagnosing with BPD probably just watched girl interrupted too many times. 😜😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I don’t drink anymore. I was put on very strong tablets in 2010 and haven’t touched a drop since. Do I miss it? Nope I can honestly say I don’t. What gets up my hoop tho is on a night out when I say ‘just a diet coke please’ I get such looks. I may as well say ‘I kill puppies’. Why are people so incredulous that I don’t drink? Weird
Ok here’s my UO then. People don’t know when to stop. Tipsy folk are hilarious. Drunk folk are a pain in the bleeping arse and are annoying as hell. I say that as someone who used to push it too far on a night out and realise now how annoying I was 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 23
It's annoying when someone gives their opinion about a celebrity or public figure, and someone else replies sarcastically like "Oh so you know them well, do you?"

Reactions: 15
Why is it cool to be a tit parent, chaotic, disorganised and forever in a flap or hungover. I hate it. I blame that Motherland show (which I also hated - unpopular opinion). I try really hard to be an organised parent which seems to be ridiculed these days.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Why is it cool to be a tit parent, chaotic, disorganised and forever in a flap or hungover. I hate it. I blame that Motherland show (which I also hated - unpopular opinion). I try really hard to be an organised parent which seems to be ridiculed these days.
YES! I've given my kids McDonald's every day this week, tit mums club!! Absolute bollocks - just lazy!!!

Unpopular opinion - people who get so drunk to the point where they are vomiting everywhere (in public, on public transport etc) are absolute cunts, should take responsibility for themselves and have consideration for others

So many teetotal Yanks claim it's because they're 'alcoholics'. I used to work with one and it turned out she used to be a bit drunk and rowdy in her college days, you know, like every student in the whole world. She decided she as an alchie and has spent the past 20 years going to AA meetings.
I've noticed most American dramas will have an AA/NA storyline tagged in there somewhere. They're a bit obsessed with it.

Reactions: 5
I work with a guy who never drinks. He says he doesn’t like the taste. I think he’s an alcoholic and therefore can’t drink. I don’t understand ‘doesn’t like the taste’ beer taste completely different to champagne
what an odd thing to say…you just presume he’s an alcoholic rather than just accepting that he doesn’t like the taste of alcohol. I think that says more about you than him 😂😂

• Haha
When people ask you to guess their age. Come on Susan, you don't look 20. I'll be too honest and say 50 and then Susan will have the hump because she is 40 and thought she looked like her daughter.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.