Unpopular Opinions #15

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Joined up writing is a skill to be fair, and allows the person to write much more quickly.
I like it when I see good handwriting.
I agree it’s a skill but is it a necessary one to teach primary school kids? I must be weird because cursive has always taken me longer than print! If I rush it’s messy and harder to read.

Reactions: 4
There’s a lot of things in primary school which are “taught” but I deem useless. Joined up writing is just one of them. I feel writing in a style that is easy to read is more important. Certain children just do not get the hang of joined up lettering no matter how much it is taught, especially those with naturally poor fine motor skills. Some of these kids actually end up excelling in other areas but feel like a failure because their handwriting is constantly critiqued. Who gives a toss if it is joined or not as long as they understand what they are printing on paper?

Reactions: 14
Its a weird flex to grade disabilities and deem one more 'worthy' of status than another.
Exactly, which is why there should be more than one blanket term for people with physical or mental aliments.

Otherwise you're always going to have people comparing blindness with legless with fibro.

Just by having such a vaugue umbrella term you will encourage people to start to compare and classify need. Our own benefit system classifies whether you're worthy and are deserving of support by really basic measures , even though disabilities are so varied and complex.

Reactions: 6
It’s a dying art, looks so much nicer. You knew who the gobby kids were in school because they’d have that big bubble writing that only fits five words on a row. Makes me cringe when I see adults with that style 😬

Grabbed off Reddit, I felt pain looking at it.
View attachment 1068262
I feel personally attacked haha

• Haha
Reactions: 2
The original poster with the UO said ... 'If your disability is invisible then it's not that bad' ... No one is boxing anybody. That's not what the issue was. The argument is whether having something like cystic fibrosis is better than having half a limb missing.
I kind of thought that poster was on about mental illness. But we got off their topic a bit ago anyway. I never even replied to that post.

Reactions: 1
There’s a lot of things in primary school which are “taught” but I deem useless. Joined up writing is just one of them. I feel writing in a style that is easy to read is more important. Certain children just do not get the hang of joined up lettering no matter how much it is taught, especially those with naturally poor fine motor skills. Some of these kids actually end up excelling in other areas but feel like a failure because their handwriting is constantly critiqued. Who gives a toss if it is joined or not as long as they understand what they are printing on paper?
It's only useless when you have finished your schooling, are an adult and you know what you're doing with your life. I've never used algebra or trigonometry since I left school. Some people use it every day.

Most schools these days allow kids to use computers if they're dyslexic, have dyspraxia etc etc but you do need to be taught the very basics at least. Schools are a lot more understanding these days. Years ago you were always taught to right with your right hand even if you were left handed. Likewise there was a certain way to hold your pen. I remember saying to my daughter to write whatever way she was comfortable with and what came naturally to her.

Reactions: 5
I kind of thought that poster was on about mental illness. But we got off their topic a bit ago anyway. I never even replied to that post.
Even if it was MH surely someone with depression so severe they can't leave their bed /house is still more disabiling than having a limb missing , I think MH is probably one of the most disabling conditions there is it affects your whole being.

• Heart
  • Wow
Even if it was MH surely someone with depression so severe they can't leave their bed /house is still more disabiling than having a limb missing , I think MH is probably one of the most disabling conditions there is it affects your whole being.
I didn't say I agreed with the opinion of the poster, I thought they meant that as I've seen it be referred to that way in the media before.

Reactions: 1
I can't believe you said that, there is always hope that the MH situation can be cured, but with the present technology, it's unlikely that you will be able to grow a missing limb.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I can't believe you said that, there is always hope that the MH situation can be cured, but with the present technology, it's unlikely that you will be able to grow a missing limb.
Unfortunately that’s not true for everyone I stand by what I said .MH is an underrated illness by many people ,I’ve known people never able to pull themselves out of the black hole, if we use your analogy there’s prostheses…I’m not saying having a limb missing is easy nor did I say MH was the worst illness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
There is no such thing as “registered disabled”. I have severe Crohn’s disease and claim PIP and ha e a blue badge. I also have inflammatory arthritis due to my Crohn’s. I am very often in and out of hospital and rely on toxic chemo drugs to keep me well.
I also work 3 days a week as I would go mad if I didn’t. I love my job (ironically in an nhs setting)
being “disabled” isn’t a personality trait. There are usually many more exciting things about a person.

Reactions: 17
Mental illness isnt just depression or anxiety either. The types of MH illnesses that will never shake their stigma, the ones that make the individual dangerous or 'scary'. There is no curing or successfully treating that. Even conditions that can be treated are the the mercy of the beast; depression can always strike, psychosis can spiral, a breakdown can always happen. Treatment isnt a cure.

• Heart
There is no such thing as “registered disabled”. I have severe Crohn’s disease and claim PIP and ha e a blue badge. I also have inflammatory arthritis due to my Crohn’s. I am very often in and out of hospital and rely on toxic chemo drugs to keep me well.
I also work 3 days a week as I would go mad if I didn’t. I love my job (ironically in an nhs setting)
being “disabled” isn’t a personality trait. There are usually many more exciting things about a person.
Of course there are but the registered disabilily is so the person can avail of certain things ( if they so wish ) it's more a legal thing than a personality trait , like my friends daughter is T1 she can leave the classroom as often as she likes to use the bathroom etc where the other kids can't ,that's because of her disability but it doesn't define who she is .

Reactions: 2
I struggle without “fibromyalgia“ as a diagnosis. It seems to be an umbrella diagnosis for worried well who haunt their GP until they get a label. Usually stems from depression and tit Happy Potter inspired tattoos

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I honestly cannot abide those who use it as a trait to deflect from their crappy behaviour. It isnt your whole being. It isnt an excuse. This is more an experience with those with MH conditions and things like ADHD. Reasonable adjustments can and should be made, but if you dont work on yourself and put in the effort to make your own life easier, duck off dictating how I need to behave.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.