Unpopular Opinions #15

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You would rarely get high rate disability payments unless you're condition is lifelong /limiting ,the likes of dementia / alzheimers are illnesses but very dibilitating, more so than someone with a prosthetic limb for eg .
Well you've gone onto a totally different topic here with payments. Everyone knows this government is ruthless with all that.

You don't recover from Crohn's, you don't recover from cystic fribosis , you don't recover from narcolepsy etc etc
So they are chronic illnesses aren't they?

Well you've gone onto a totally different topic here with payments. Everyone knows this government is ruthless with all that.
What I mean is the illness that they deem disabiling enough to warrant an allowance will class you as disabled that doesn't apply to every condition .

What I mean is the illness that they deem disabiling enough to warrant an allowance will class you as disabled that doesn't apply to every condition .
Yeah and what they class as warranting is a whole other story.

If you can't see that a chronic illness is a disability then there's no point in discussing this.
It's just a lot of interchangeable terms. And a lot of degrees like I said. Everyone's situation is different and the word 'disability' has strong connotations. Not everyone would want to associate with that or see themselves as having some sort of a label. They are just living their life. You don't need to box everyone all the time.

It's just a lot of interchangeable terms. And a lot of degrees like I said. Everyone's situation is different and the word 'disability' has strong connotations. Not everyone would want to associate with that or see themselves as having some sort of a label. They are just living their life. You don't need to box everyone all the time.
The original poster with the UO said ... 'If your disability is invisible then it's not that bad' ... No one is boxing anybody. That's not what the issue was. The argument is whether having something like cystic fibrosis is better than having half a limb missing.

Reactions: 12
Can we leave CF out of the mix, that’s not a “disability” like fibromyarsehole.

I once had the experience of running into a woman with a disability parking pass because she had arthritis in her thumb,

I called her “bleeping selfish tosser” and she shall forever be named that.
😐

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
If your disability is invisible then it's not that bad
Does that include people like my cousin whose epilepsy isn't controlled? You know that can actually kill you? I'm slowly losing my vision; but that's not too bad, acording to you. Oh and I'm waiting to find out what I've done to my heart. I have days where I can hardly walk. This time 2 years ago, I was preparing for a 30 mile race with friends.

You've been through an assessment to know how difficult it is to get? I have and she called my GP (who has access to my notes) a liar and said there's no medical reason why I can't drive. But she did also claim I have no hearing problems, despite being under a hearing therapist and she had to ask what one of my hearing problems was and then decided it wasn't that bad.

• Sad
Can’t believe people have fallen for that note apparently written by a 6 year old to a footballer to the point where thousands has been raised for him and there’s now a ‘search’ to find out who he is. To me the writing doesn’t look anything like your average 6 year olds, it’s probably just someone’s idea of a joke and everyone’s been had. It’s crazy how willingly people will hand over their hard earned money without finding out if something is legit first.
Didn't even know of this story, but if legit oh FFS it's going to be Cptn Tom Moore story of 2022.

Reactions: 6
Same, I looked at that and thought what six (and a half) year old can write like that.
All kids are taught to write in cursive now its literally hammered in to them (side note not keen on this where's the individuality??) also at 6.5 he would be in infants so surely entitled to free school meals 🧐
Not bragging but this is my child's handwriting, he is 6 and cursive is compulsory for where I live.
16450791127746936695431051238808.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Does that include people like my cousin whose epilepsy isn't controlled? You know that can actually kill you? I'm slowly losing my vision; but that's not too bad, acording to you. Oh and I'm waiting to find out what I've done to my heart. I have days where I can hardly walk. This time 2 years ago, I was preparing for a 30 mile race with friends.

You've been through an assessment to know how difficult it is to get? I have and she called my GP (who has access to my notes) a liar and said there's no medical reason why I can't drive. But she did also claim I have no hearing problems, despite being under a hearing therapist and she had to ask what one of my hearing problems was and then decided it wasn't that bad.
Sending you love and hugs. I have debilitating anxiety and I’ve been in therapy since 2013, only after two suicide attempts and years of therapy, I qualified for disability assessment in 2020. I only get $33 from the government per month. I applied for disability not to rely on government for money (I work on top of full time school) but so that I can get access to necessary healthcare and workplace/school accommodations that help keep me alive. I was recently bed ridden for two months and now have to take four months leave before I can return to work and school. Invisible/non-physical disabilities can severely affect people’s lives as well. And it is a shame that a lot of people severely downplay that. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Teaching kids cursive is outdated and stupid. As soon as you get to secondary school no one cares if you join up your letters or not and at work people care even less unless you’re a calligrapher or something like that.

Reactions: 17

Conditions like epilepsy, diabetes etc can be improved with drugs. Many have episodes but are ok for long periods of times. Yes there are degrees and competitive disability seems to be a strange new phenomenon, but many of these conditions don’t even begin to compare to the lifelong misery and challenges of being - say- quadriplegic.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 2
Teaching kids cursive is outdated and stupid. As soon as you get to secondary school no one cares if you join up your letters or not and at work people care even less unless you’re a calligrapher or something like that.
Joined up writing is a skill to be fair, and allows the person to write much more quickly.
I like it when I see good handwriting.

Conditions like epilepsy, diabetes etc can be improved with drugs. Many have episodes but are ok for long periods of times. Yes there are degrees and competitive disability seems to be a strange new phenomenon, but many of these conditions don’t even begin to compare to the lifelong misery and challenges of being - say- quadriplegic.
I was on epilepsy drugs for migraine. Side effects - may increase risk of seizures. A friends daughter has drug resistant epilepsy.

Some of the side effects are horrendous too - I'm now deaf in one ear because of what I was on, I know someone whose developed an eye condition, I had to come off a certain brand because I was constantly thirsty. (Had blood and urine tested, both were normal)

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Disability is a ridiculous blanket term. Anyone who's spent time with children born with complex and profound disabilities will know how stupid it is for them to be under the same classification as someone with Chrones or a missing limb.

The real hidden disabilities are the ones belonging to the massive group of people who can't even acsess basic society, who are hidden away and forgotten about, shunned and unsupported by society.

Joined up writing is a skill to be fair, and allows the person to write much more quickly.
I like it when I see good handwriting.
It’s a dying art, looks so much nicer. You knew who the gobby kids were in school because they’d have that big bubble writing that only fits five words on a row. Makes me cringe when I see adults with that style 😬

Grabbed off Reddit, I felt pain looking at it.
D6C306B0-6144-4B8F-9034-48A9D20DB3A5.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I’m probably in a minority but I still join up my letters when I write. I’d write much slower if I didn’t.

When I’m forced to print (eg on application forms) it feels really slow!

I’m probably in a minority but I still join up my letters when I write. I’d write much slower if I didn’t.

When I’m forced to print (eg on application forms) it feels really slow!
Me too! And I find it much harder to write in print with capitals.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.