Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Tried watching it once stopped 10minutes into forst episode. But then I think Ricky Gervais is not funny or a good actor.
The best thing he ever did was roast Hollywood at the Golden Globes
I enjoyed the first season & I like Ricky Gervais - but the last 2 seasons are rubbish!

Reactions: 1
I enjoyed the first season & I like Ricky Gervais - but the last 2 seasons are rubbish!
Same. It’s like anything that raised a laugh in the first one he lazily rolled out again and again in the second so it became really unfunny. The second one seemed like a halfhearted cash grab to me

Reactions: 2
On the note of gender preference, my aunt had a boy as her first child. After that she was determined to get a girl, 4 boys later she has a girl and my aunt got her tubes tied. She then had another boy 😜 5 boys and 1 girl and of course, the girl turned out to be a massive Tom boy!

For the poster that mentioned mental health and exercise, I feel like I fall into the category they are talking about. I have no chemical imbalance, I have never had any significant events happen in my life which would result in ptsd. The worst thing that ever happened in my life was the death of a friend (accident) which isn't that unusual. I was never on a level of depression where I couldn't get out of bed, or shower. I just felt tit constantly with no reason why, my mind would basically make up problems when I didn't have any. I began excersising regularly, not daily but 3 to 4 times a week and it makes the world of a difference.. Even if it is just a walk. Basically my mind stopped looking for problems that didn't exist. I think the OP was referring to someone like me, not someone with actual problems or trauma. Just someone who stopped looking after themselves, not because they were depressed but me not taking care of myself led to MH issues.
After reading some of the posts on this thread I wouldn't dare say I had depression, more of an unsatifaction with daily life.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
On the topic of depression, what happens if you do have something to be depressed about, eg incurable illness, going blind etc. Any suggestions to snap out of it.

Reactions: 4
On the topic of depression, what happens if you do have something to be depressed about, eg incurable illness, going blind etc. Any suggestions to snap out of it.
Maybe counselling to talk to someone? But I can't see how if you have a life changing event and do become depressed, (which sounds like a totally normal reaction) you can just snap out of it.

Reactions: 5
Maybe counselling to talk to someone? But I can't see how if you have a life changing event and do become depressed, (which sounds like a totally normal reaction) you can just snap out of it.
I am not depressed, I have accepted my situation, but it is not that easy for everyone.

Sometimes, my wife says she is depressed, I tell her to have a look at me, she says if it was her she wouldn't be able to cope.

The thing is people have different levels they can cope with, and if someone has a low threshold it's not fair to negate their feelings.

Reactions: 3
Just white people use that excuse?

Generally yes, not to say its the case EVERY single time, but its quite common for mental health to be questioned first when something is done by a white person. With other ethnicities its always usually straight to being called a terrorist and then mental health comes into question afterwards

Not sure why though as anyone who does anything like this is not mentally well, its always a mental issue

Generally yes, not to say its the case EVERY single time, but its quite common for mental health to be questioned first when something is done by a white person. With other ethnicities its always usually straight to being called a terrorist and then mental health comes into question afterwards

Not sure why though as anyone who does anything like this is not mentally well, its always a mental issue
“Always a mental issue”. That’s quite a claim.

Which particular white terrorist has been claimed to be mentally ill and by whom. Certainly not Andres Brevik. Not Samantha Lewthwaite, Sally Jones or Jack Letts. I don’t recall this defence being used by any of the IRA bombers over the years. Or Timothy McVeigh. If it’s quite common you should be able to give specific examples?

Come to think of it isn’t this defence being trotted out not only for the incident in Texas but also the asylum liar who tried to blow up the maternity hospital in Liverpool? As well as the guy who killed David Amess? Wasn’t Poor Lickle Shamima Begum the victim of grooming?

Reactions: 13

Which particular white terrorist has been claimed to be mentally ill and by whom. Certainly not Andres Brevik. Not Samantha Lewthwaite, Sally Jones or Jack Letts. I don’t recall this defence being used by any of the IRA bombers over the years. Or Timothy McVeigh. If it’s quite common you should be able to give specific examples?

Come to think of it isn’t this defence being trotted out not only for the incident in Texas but also the asylum liar who tried to blow up the maternity hospital in Liverpool? As well as the guy who killed David Amess? Wasn’t Poor Lickle Shamima Begum the victim of grooming?

My thoughts exactly.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/usma...-killed-by-police-inquest-jury-finds-12329352

Wasn’t there plenty of speculation in the press about this man being mentally ill rather than a terrorist too?

Reactions: 2
My thoughts exactly.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/usma...-killed-by-police-inquest-jury-finds-12329352

Wasn’t there plenty of speculation in the press about this man being mentally ill too?
Agreed.

It seems to me that Mental Health is a convenient excuse to deny any agency at all for your own actions.

If you have been formally diagnosed and have undergone treatment it can be mitigation. If it is self diagnosed then.

Khan pre-planned his attack and even designed a fake suicide belt. Quite an achievement for a demotivated depressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Agreed.

It seems to me that Mental Health is a convenient excuse to deny any agency at all for your own actions.

If you have been formally diagnosed and have undergone treatment it can be mitigation. If it is self diagnosed then.

Khan pre-planned his attack and even designed a fake suicide belt. Quite an achievement for a demotivated depressive.
Gokmem Tanis, who shot 4 people on a Netherlands tram is reported to be suffering from an unknown psychiatric disorder which made him “vulnerable to extremist ideology” too. People just need to call it for what it is, just as they do with white supremacist terrorist attacks and the IRA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
UO: I don't like the idea that people should move out of London for "better quality of life" which is held to be the same for everyone: wanting to buy a house, have more "green space", it's better for children, etc. I don't want any of those things. Now that we're planning to adopt a child I can safely say I'd much rather he or she go to school in London than outside - bearing in mind I've worked in London schools. For one thing it has many more schools than a rural area or small town. A co-worker moved out of London into Hertfordshire so her daughter could "go to a nicer school", then she did not get a place and now has to get up very early to be driven to school miles away in a taxpayer-funded taxi (which I think should not be allowed, spend the money on school buses instead.) If she couldn't have got into that school she might have had to go to a Pupil Referral Unit which can work very well for some kids but are not good places for those that don't struggle with severe behavioural difficulties.

As a child I went to a picture-perfect village school of the type people are always saying they want their child to attend, I hated it. It was insular, cliquey, there was no one else to spend time with if I "fell out" with my friends, and the teachers assumed a right to interfere in our home lives just because it was a village and everyone was "local" and knew each other. I wouldn't want my child going somewhere like that, picturesque or not!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Gokmem Tanis, who shot 4 people on a Netherlands tram is reported to be suffering from an unknown psychiatric disorder which made him “vulnerable to extremist ideology” too. People just need to call it for what it is, just as they do with white supremacist terrorist attacks and the IRA.
A cynic might suggest that the ."psychiatric disorder which made him vulnerable to extremist ideology" is religious belief.

It's the only explanation I can ever understand for a person who believes that his actions are preordained by an invisible friend in the sky.

Reactions: 6

I didn’t say there aren’t terrorists and i’m not saying its the case with every single attack but to deny there is not bias when such incidents happens is naive, i’m saying when it comes to the media reporting this incidents the first articles are never stated as a terrorist attacks, they always discuss the persons mental state and then we get the facts.

This article explains the bias better than I can

Guess that’s my UO, white vs ethnic minorty terrorist attacks

And yea i don’t think anyone who does these attacks is way sane, they have mental issues.

A cynic might suggest that the ."psychiatric disorder which made him vulnerable to extremist ideology" is religious belief.

It's the only explanation I can ever understand for a person who believes that his actions are preordained by an invisible friend in the sky.
Without wishing to offend anybody. This has pretty much always been my take on any religious beliefs also.

Reactions: 10
I didn’t say there aren’t terrorists and i’m not saying its the case with every single attack but to deny there is not bias when such incidents happens is naive, i’m saying when it comes to the media reporting this incidents the first articles are never stated as a terrorist attacks, they always discuss the persons mental state and then we get the facts.

And yea i don’t think anyone who does these attacks is way sane, they have mental issues.
Every person has a bias which is usually based around their political opinion. And it's certainly my experience that the Woke Left are just as desperate to mitigate non white perpetrators as White Supremacists are to mitigate white ones.

What is your diagnosis of Michael Adepalojo? As no mental health defence was used at his trial, and he has tried literally everything to overturn his conviction.

That article doesn’t hold much water when you think back to the 70/80”s and even beyond when anyone with an Irish accent in England would automatically have been under suspicion of being a terrorist, it’s just a sign of the times imo ,nothing to do with White Privilege .

Reactions: 12
Without wishing to offend anybody. This has pretty much always been my take on any religious beliefs also.
The thing with the Abrahamic religions is this. They are supposed to be based on the teachings of a Holy Book, be it the Bible or the Qu'ran or whatever. Now these are supposed to be the blueprints for a moral and spiritual life. In fact the Qu'ran takes it further and is regarded as the irrefutable word of God. Taken word for word through his prophet. Yet to read any of these books cover to cover reveal 100s of direct contradictions and passages so obscure that they can be a interpreted literally any way you want to. It seems to me that God the perfect being didn't half hedge his bets.

God, it seems to me, is a no win no fee defence lawyer.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.