Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No one cares about your wedding.

Even your sister/mum/bridesmaid/best mate etc. Have their limits and there is only so much people can hear about bridesmaids dresses without wanting to cut their ears off.
I had this moment of clarity fairly quickly into planning my own wedding. Realised I was overthinking centre pieces that I didn't give a f**k about - so who the hell else was going to care?!

Two of my cousins are planning theirs atm and they are unbearable. One of them is getting married in May, the other in October and there was quite a lot of tension around the fact that they'd both chosen the same year to get married. They each felt like they weren't getting the attention they were due, what with the other wedding 5 months away .... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: 11
As I said my dad was always pretty open about getting the snip after he had the boy he wanted. I didn’t really feel any way about it to be honest.
I understand, I couldnt see my cousins being upset over it either but ya never know how some people feel inside 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 1
I had this moment of clarity fairly quickly into planning my own wedding. Realised I was overthinking centre pieces that I didn't give a f**k about - so who the hell else was going to care?!

Two of my cousins are planning theirs atm and they are unbearable. One of them is getting married in May, the other in October and there was quite a lot of tension around the fact that they'd both chosen the same year to get married. Felt like they weren't getting the attention they due, what with the other wedding 5 months away .... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
My sister today has:
- sent me 10 different variations of wording for her invite that use about 50 words to say "give me money"
- asked me if I'm free in July with no explanation. When she tells me what it's for and I agree I'm free she tells me I'm "not very enthusiastic"
- told me I better not be pregnant on her wedding day (I'm 33 and her wedding is December so duck you if I want a baby)
- thinks her wedding food is going to be amazing and no one will be disappointed. The restaurant next door to the venue might be nice but mass catering is mass catering and who can say they have never been disappointed with the food they have been served at a wedding.

I honestly couldn't give a tit. No one cares except the bride and groom and they shouldn't care.

I was a pretty chill bride and my bride bridezilla sister is doing my nut in

• Haha
Reactions: 18
My sister today has:
- sent me 10 different variations of wording for her invite that use about 50 words to say "give me money"
- asked me if I'm free in July with no explanation. When she tells me what it's for and I agree I'm free she tells me I'm "not very enthusiastic"
- told me I better not be pregnant on her wedding day (I'm 33 and her wedding is December so duck you if I want a baby)
- thinks her wedding food is going to be amazing and no one will be disappointed. The restaurant next door to the venue might be nice but mass catering is mass catering and who can say they have never been disappointed with the food they have been served at a wedding.

I honestly couldn't give a tit. No one cares except the bride and groom and they shouldn't care.

I was a pretty chill bride and my bride bridezilla sister is doing my nut in
I knew a woman who found out she was pregnant a few weeks before her friends wedding. The bide was such a nightmare that she didn't dare tell anyone she was pregnant until after the wedding. Bollocks to that. Discovering you're pregnant after trying for a baby should be an absolute joyous, exciting thing. Shout it from the rooftops if you want to.

I was also a very chilled bride. When I bought my wedding dress, my Mum and I popped to a fairly local shop and I bought about the third one I tried on. A few people were horrified and in disbelief that I hadn't gone to every wedding dress shop in London and tried on everything at least three times before buying. It's just not my style. Did the same when I bought a house too :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 16
I knew a woman who found out she was pregnant a few weeks before her friends wedding. The bide was such a nightmare that she didn't dare tell anyone she was pregnant until after the wedding. Bollocks to that. Discovering you're pregnant after trying for a baby should be an absolute joyous, exciting thing. Shout it from the rooftops if you want to.

I was also a very chilled bride. When I bought my wedding dress, my Mum and I popped to a fairly local shop and I bought about the third one I tried on. A few people were horrified and in disbelief that I hadn't gone to every wedding dress shop in London and tried on everything at least three times before buying. It's just not my style. Did the same when I bought a house too :ROFLMAO:
I honestly didn't expect these comments from my sister.

Like...this would be your niece or nephew, you should be over the moon if I found out I was pregnant and not be thinking of your wedding.

Reactions: 10
You sound like my alter ego.

1 hour in the very first shop I'd visited which was a 2 minute walk from my apartment. Came out with a wedding dress and a bridesmaid dress. Boom, done.

Reactions: 9
My sister today has:
Friends of ours are getting married soon. Our invite says:

"With all that we have, we've truly been blessed
Your presence and prayers are all that we request
But should you wish to give nonetheless
Monetary gifts are the one we'd suggest"

Cheeky fuckers!!! :mad:

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 25

Your presence and prayers area all that we request

It's a bit icky isn't. My mum made a quip to my cousin about how much £££ she was going to give her for a wedding gift - she said something like 50 quid. Cousin remarked back that that "wouldn't even cover the cost of her dinner"?? I think that's how a lot of people think of it now, inviting people to recoup their costs.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20

Your presence and prayers area all that we request

The fact that two people sat down and agreed to put that on the wedding invites is hilarious, shameless 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 17
The fact that two people sat down and agreed to put that on the wedding invites is hilarious, shameless 🤣
He's a lovely guy, very quiet. Too quiet for his own good. She definitely wears the trousers, so I think we have a fairly good idea who decided on the little poem.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
He's a lovely guy, very quiet. Too quiet for his own good. She definitely wears the trousers, so I think we have a fairly good idea who decided on the little poem.
That poor guy 🤣 I would call off the wedding before I would put that on the invitations. A poem as well 🤦‍♀️😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2

Your presence and prayers are all that we request

We actually got given bank details on a wedding invite we received. bleeping bank details!
Did we pay in? Did we duck

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
I don't think it's too usual now to ask for money. But don't duck around fluffing it up, you're asking for money at least own it.

Reactions: 8
I’m not even going to mention money or gifts on our wedding invites. A friend got married and did the whole money poem thing and people still sent them actual gifts as well. It seems like regardless of what you put, people will do what they want anyway. I was that stingy friend who gave them a card and nothing else because I knew they already had everything anyway and I was skint at the time😆

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I’m not even going to mention money or gifts on our wedding invites. A friend got married and did the whole money poem thing and people still sent them actual gifts as well. It seems like regardless of what you put, people will do what they want anyway. I was that stingy friend who gave them a card and nothing else because I knew they already had everything anyway and I was skint at the time😆
I 100% agree.

There are some people I would gift money and others I definitely wouldn't.

People gift what they want to gift regardless of what you put on the invite.

Personally all I want from an invite is date and times. I don't want millions of different inserts about local taxis etc. Unless it is in a town I'm not local to. I.e. I live in Essex but a friend got married in Norfolk. Although by the time we got invites I had already booked a hotel based off conversations about where/when etc.

Reactions: 3
reading this thread.. all I can say is praise the Lord I have never been invited to anyone's wedding.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
On the subject of christenings: If I get invited to a christening/baptism and I know the parents aren’t usually religious, then I’ll see the whole thing as a bit of a farce and I’ll struggle to take it seriously. I’ll put my appropriate face on but inside I’m screaming “this whole thing is stupid and pointless”. I genuinely don’t get the point in inducting your child into a religion when you as parents don’t practice or believe in it yourselves. I think for some people it’s just something you do for the sake of tradition.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
On the subject of christenings: If I get invited to a christening/baptism and I know the parents aren’t usually religious, then I’ll see the whole thing as a bit of a farce and I’ll struggle to take it seriously. I’ll put my appropriate face on but inside I’m screaming “this whole thing is stupid and pointless”. I genuinely don’t get the point in inducting your child into a religion when you as parents don’t practice or believe in it yourselves. I think for some people it’s just something you do.
same as marriage really.. I'm of the if it aint broke don't fix it school... it no longer matters about children etc as there's barely a child out there thats not part of some type of fractured family these days. when I was at secondary school we knew a gay couple lived in my friends street who had been together decades (of course not married) and yet the heteros were out there getting wed n dumped in less than 2 yrs...

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.