Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok this may be an UO or touching a nerve
Regarding mental health. I’m sick to death of many terrorist attacks, here and abroad, where they say “been detained for mental health”. It’s insulting to those with actual MH issues. Most of the time it’s not a mh problem, they’re just terrorists. Nasty evil terrorists
So many also claim to have Autism. Whilst a minority may have mental health problems, etc. I think many of them just use it as an excuse.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Ok this may be an UO or touching a nerve
Regarding mental health. I’m sick to death of many terrorist attacks, here and abroad, where they say “been detained for mental health”. It’s insulting to those with actual MH issues. Most of the time it’s not a mh problem, they’re just terrorists. Nasty evil terrorists
Ahh but don’t you know terrorists are only those with darker skin. Anyone White who does those atrocious things always has ‘mental health issues’

Reactions: 18
I prefer the term ‘took their own life’. I’ve no idea if it’s PC but it seems less accusative to me.

I also agree for most depression is a chemical imbalance. You wouldn’t try to ‘mind over matter’ diabetes or anaemia so why do people think you can do it for depression.
For those who have experienced trauma leading to depression, there should be a distinction. And I believe you can be helped by working through the trauma and finding ways to understand it.

Another UO - I know a woman who is at the top in their field. They are lauded in the top10 women in the industry, sits on a board for identifying other promising females etc and gives talks on gender equality and the difficulties of being a woman in industry and overcoming the challenges.
Except they used to be a man. They got to the top when they were a man and have transitioned since.
I have no issue with how anyone wants to identify or present themselves and I’m sure they could teach me a great deal about their experience but I do have issue with a man telling me about what it’s like to be a woman because they’ve been one for 5 minutes and diverting the credit from women who’ve had to struggle their whole lives in a male dominated industry.
Surely this person should be giving talks on what it is like to be a transwoman in the work place as well as what it is like transitioning whilst employeed at the company.
I'd imagine being trans comes with a whole new list of difficulties. To act like being a transwoman is the same as being a woman your entire life is BS.
Has that person missed out on a promotion due to the possibility of becoming pregnant during their career? No.
Has that person had to deal with sexual harassment in the workplace? Maybe but I can bet that close to 100% of women have faced some form of sexual harassment while working. I know I have!
I am happy enough to call someone by their preferred pronouns but to act like transwomen and women are the same is just not true..

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Ahh but don’t you know terrorists are only those with darker skin. Anyone White who does those atrocious things always has ‘mental health issues’
I don't agree, no one claimed anders breivik Had mental health problems. I don't remember the guy that commited the new Zealand mosque massacre being pinned as mentally ill either.

I think mental health tends to be blamed when there is no clear reason for the attack. But when they are white supremacist, or Islamic extremists, their beliefs are what's blamed.

Reactions: 5
🤣
Two of my granddaughters love ASMR things. They will sit for a very long time watching people chop food etc. They both love their hair cut or face painted right from babies not just for the end result but the feeling of being touched

I like some of the things but others made me feel on edge. It allows your mind to zone out. only those who don't get it think it's a sexual thing.
ASMR videos creep me out. When they turn up on IG videos I have to flick away from them instantly.

I can tolerate the ones with the Asian blokes building swimming pools in the midst of somewhere remote and even cooking ones. But anything involving opening packets, nails tapping on things give me the creeps.

I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that ASMR did actually start off as a kink though by people who got off slightly on listening to people eat down special microphones.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I agree some ASMR is cringy, like it's purposely made for sexual stuff, but other channels are ok.

Reactions: 5
I 100% agree. I wanted a girl so badly when I was pregnant and am very grateful that I did indeed have a girl.

I always think people who don’t have a preference are telling porky pies. My sister had four boys and I think they only had the fourth just to chance it being a girl. Sometimes you just want what you want, we aren’t robots. X

I am in favour of gender selection. It used to really rile me how some people (usually always women who had a boy and a girl) would guilt-shame me for having a preference over what sex my 4th child would be, when I already had 3 of the same sex. In the end, my 4th was of the opposite sex, but I would definitely have had gender selection afterwards if not. I pay for all my kids myself, I don't even get Child Benefit, and it wasn't just me who yearned for a child of the opposite sex - it was my husband and children as well, so I would have had no problem paying to ensure our family was made complete. If the science makes it doable and you have the means to do it, bring it on.

I think having a gender preference is a completely normal feeling, especially when you already have multiple children of the same sex. It's just people's reactions to it that makes it feel like a dirty little taboo secret. Unpopular opinion 🤷‍♀️
Again, that’s making it about other people when it’s not related in any way?

Just because other people can’t have kids doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a gender preference

Shouldn't you be grateful you can have children? So many women would just love to have a child.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I always think people who don’t have a preference are telling porky pies. My sister had four boys and I think they only had the fourth just to chance it being a girl. Sometimes you just want what you want, we aren’t robots. X
A friend of mine has five kids. Four boys and the youngest is a girl. She told me herself that if number five had been a boy, then there would have been a number six.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’ve got a succession of boys and currently pregnant with a girl. If I had lots of girls I would have probably wanted a boy too. I probably would have kept going until I got to experience being a parent of both. I understand there are people that can’t bare children but we are allowed to feel what we feel without having to constantly take other peoples misfortunes into account.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
we are allowed to feel what we feel without having to constantly take other peoples misfortunes into account.
im so fed up of the “it could be worse” brigade.
duck off, I don’t want to compare myself to a homeless person or person with cancer or starving child in Africa I want to moan without feeling guilt for moaning because I’m upset and I have a right to be upset!!!!

so piss off already

First time I’ll say anything negative about this thread because I love it, the conversation around suicide is so judgmental and nasty, really uncomfortable reading to see people being so bitchy just because we can kinda get away with it here
I’ll leave it there

Shouldn't you be grateful you can have children? So many women would just love to have a child.
i entered a competition for an iPad, I won an iPhone.
Both great, who wouldn’t I love them both but I bleeping WANTED an iPad.

This is a lie last thing I won was probably a free packet of Jaffa cakes from Lidl scratch and win.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
I’ve got a succession of boys and currently pregnant with a girl. If I had lots of girls I would have probably wanted a boy too. I probably would have kept going until I got to experience being a parent of both. I understand there are people that can’t bare children but we are allowed to feel what we feel without having to constantly take other peoples misfortunes into account.
I'm an only child and I'm pretty certain that 56yrs later my mum is still disappointed that she got a daughter and not a son!!!

She talks a lot about her brother being her mums favourite and I think that sibling jealousy still eats away at her. Despite the fact her mum died in 1952!!! Also when she talks about her friends who had sons, you can hear her disappointment that I was a girl.

Also at one point, she had an imaginary son - yes she mental!!!!

I don't have any kids so when I've been reading this thread I feel a bit uncomfortable. Because as much as you all say you love your kids, I wonder if one or two them have picked up on the fact that they were disappointment.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I don’t like Wetherspoons food is shite, drinks are okay and there’s no music, but it’s great exercise as every time I have been to one I have to walk up 60 stairs to have a piss.

in the one I usually go to, you can’t smoke upstairs outside area (idk why) but you can downstairs outside but the women’s toilets are upstairs, so each time I need to wee I have to trek up the stairs and nearly kill myself cause I’m pissed trying not to fall to my death. It’s discrimination against female smokers as the gents are downstairs!

It is totally ok to have dating preferences as long as you’re not horrible about it. It’s fine if you’re not into short men or big women or you aren’t that into a certain race/gender of people or whatever as long as you still treat those people like people and aren’t nasty to them because of it. I’ve seen people on TT act like it’s discrimination to not fancy certain groups but it’s just your type.

Say X asks Y out. A nice example is - “Sorry I’m flattered but I’m already dating/I’m not really looking to meet someone.”

It would be out of order if you were like “Ugh no, you’re XYZ. I don’t like XYZ people that’s gross”

Reactions: 18
I don’t like Wetherspoons food is shite, drinks are okay and there’s no music, but it’s great exercise as every time I have been to one I have to walk up 60 stairs to have a piss.

in the one I usually go to, you can’t smoke upstairs outside area (idk why) but you can downstairs outside but the women’s toilets are upstairs, so each time I need to wee I have to trek up the stairs and nearly kill myself cause I’m pissed trying not to fall to my death. It’s discrimination against female smokers as the gents are downstairs!
I like Wetherspoons but I prefer Greene King if looking at chain type pubs so I rarely go to Wetherspoons as generally where there is a Wetherspoons there will be a Greene King

I have friends who are obsessed with Wetherspoons. I do like their breakfast.

Reactions: 1
I have friends who are obsessed with Wetherspoons. I do like their breakfast.
The only thing I truly like about Wetherspoons is the table numbers and app, I usually post it on my insta story and my friends buy me drinks, one of my good friends has an online following (an influencer of sorts!) and he posted our table number and we got so many drinks we had to start giving them away cause 3 of us couldn’t drink so much

• Wow
Reactions: 4
People who play car stereos loudly should be prosecuted. (unless you are Phil Collins guy in which case just keep on rockin.. you make us all smile) If you are playing it at nightclub sound system levels, there's no way in hell you are paying proper attention to your driving.

*Philcollinsguy is a legend . it's someone who drives around my bf's neighbourhood in a white car blasting In The Air Tonight

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.