Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So basically you were just as bad as Elle Darby and now feel justified in your ways because you were 'only 16'. Reality check, everyone at an age above 12 knows racism is very wrong.

Also they date to way past the age of 16 so cant pull that old excuse. She absolutely deserves to have no platform or influence over anyone with her outrageous posts. We've all been told what you post on the internet will always come back to haunt you.

More embarrassing is the fact she continuously got no likes and continued to post her awful dribble.
I am an equal opportunity hater. It didn't matter your race, religion, sex etc etc. There is a reason they are relooking at the sentencing guidelines in America because at 16 your brain isn't fully formed yet and you do rash things.

Most kids can be really mean and if you tell me you never said something spiteful, in anger or to just look "cool" at that age then you are lying to yourself

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I am an equal opportunity hater. It didn't matter your race, religion, sex etc etc. There is a reason they are relooking at the sentencing guidelines in America because at 16 your brain isn't fully formed yet and you do rash things.

Most kids can be really mean and if you tell me you never said something spiteful, in anger or to just look "cool" at that age then you are lying to yourself
No I never said anything racist to look cool to my friends. It wasn’t cool to be racist and I wouldn’t associate myself with people that thought it was.

Mistakes are made yes, however they’re not mistakes. They’re closed minded opinions that she chose to share on the internet, no one forced her to.

As stated before her awful comments continued well after 16 so that excuse just won’t wash with anyone. You’re taught right from wrong as a child, at 16 your old enough to know better.

Reactions: 17

I did some very stupid things as a young person.( I'm not talking about bullying or racist things) I knew it was wrong but didn't know the impact of those things.

Reactions: 12
I did some very stupid things as a young person.( I'm not talking about bullying or racist things) I knew it was wrong but didn't know the impact of those things.
Exactly, there has been huge research into all of this and it's very interesting. At that age they even say that a lot of children present as pshycopaths. Very interesting reading if people are into that sort of thing

Reactions: 3
I refused my kids toasties as we walked by Costa today. We were on our way home anyway and have everything here to make superior toasties than Costa would have sold us for around a tenner.

On soap operas…I think you can tell the kids who get to watch them by the dramatic and shouty way they behave with their friends at school.
I actually love a soap opera. But, I think they have a lot to answer for in regards to the influence they have on people. They are made out to be "real life" (some more realistic than others) but there is so much bed hopping, affairs, people having kids at the drop of a hat, crime, violence.

Impressionable people will watch them and think that's is how people behave, and so go on a do the same.

Reactions: 11
I think we all have . I regret and would not do about 3 or 4 things

Reactions: 3
The expectation of trigger warnings around pregnancy announcements 🙄🙄

I’m very sorry if you cannot conceive naturally, you have my every sympathy it must be difficult but you cannot expect everyone else to censor sharing their news to family members and friends online or expressing their joy on what is such a massive moment in life.

It’s arrogant in my opinion. Do we hide alcohol away in Tesco’s because alcoholics exist? Do we take the calories off food packets in case of those with eating disorders? No. Recognise that something is a sore subject for you and take steps to deal with it instead of expecting the whole world to accommodate you.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
No I never said anything racist to look cool to my friends. It wasn’t cool to be racist and I wouldn’t associate myself with people that thought it was.

Mistakes are made yes, however they’re not mistakes. They’re closed minded opinions that she chose to share on the internet, no one forced her to.

As stated before her awful comments continued well after 16 so that excuse just won’t wash with anyone. You’re taught right from wrong as a child, at 16 your old enough to know better.
To be fair, not everyone is taught right from wrong as a child.

If your parents are racist or xenophobic then you will be too, either for life or until you're old enough to realise your parents were wrong.

I'm not excusing her behaviour, but some kids are nasty because their parents are, and they can relearn as adults. So I don't think you should be held accountable for tit posted when young. Most studies also show that our brains are a bit nuts and not properly developed until 21. When you're young part of your brain is adult but the impulse part and rational part is still like a child.

Reactions: 9
The expectation of trigger warnings around pregnancy announcements 🙄🙄

I’m very sorry if you cannot conceive naturally, you have my every sympathy it must be difficult but you cannot expect everyone else to censor sharing their news to family members and friends online or expressing their joy on what is such a massive moment in life.

It’s arrogant in my opinion. Do we hide alcohol away in Tesco’s because alcoholics exist? Do we take the calories off food packets in case of those with eating disorders? No. Recognise that something is a sore subject for you and take steps to deal with it instead of expecting the whole world to accommodate you.
Amennnnn!!

Toooooo many people are either
A) triggered far too easily by social media (if you are so delicate that an Instagram post will set you off then you should not be on the interweb at all)
B) triggering others with excessive detail on social media. We don’t need details of bowel habits and/or excessive bleeding and trauma yada yada

Reactions: 20
Exactly, what chance did she have when that's her teacher.

So the real question is, has she seen that her parents are wrong, and changed her ways - or is she just as vial as she was but better at hiding it.
Kids are taught what’s acceptable at school even if it’s not taught at home, there’s many parents that eff and blind but kids would know when and where they could use language like that, I think at 17 you do know what boundaries are it’s up to you if you cross them.

Reactions: 12
I don't think I would've posted that sort of stuff either but I think it is unrealistic to think some of the "bigger" personalities wouldn't do that trying to look cool (is cool even used anymore? showing my age)
But I think it is very unfair to cancel a person for what they posted at 16. If she apologised and if it was sincere then that's where it should stop, otherwise nobody is safe from making mistakes.
I agree. I remember being homophonic to a man on a bus when I was 16 - I was being dumb and picked on the only thing I could because I was in the wrong and too immature to accept it. I regret it so much and wish I could apologise to him because it hurts my heart to this day that I did that to someone. I am not homophobic despite my views when I was younger as I have matured and know more about the world.
I would hate to be paying for something I did a long time ago. I’m not the same person I was when I was 16 it’s called growth.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
After seeing someone on instagram again announcing they have had a miscarriage - unpopular opinion, I think its selfish to have kids anyway (i have two, i include myself), but to put yourself through repeated heartache and turmoil to do it? I dont get it. Just stop trying.

I appreciate i am fortunate to not have experienced loss, or a struggle to conceive, but its equally sad and frustrating to see women put themselves through it all. Especially when it takes over their whole lives. Ive seen it really destroy 2 women i know. Its awful.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I agree. I remember being homophonic to a man on a bus when I was 16 - I was being dumb and picked on the only thing I could because I was in the wrong and too immature to accept it. I regret it so much and wish I could apologise to him because it hurts my heart to this day that I did that to someone. I am not homophobic despite my views when I was younger as I have matured and know more about the world.
I would hate to be paying for something I did a long time ago. I’m not the same person I was when I was 16 it’s called growth.
also to add. Some behaviour is learned behaviour until you are mature enough to see things differently.Whilst yes you could say you know right from wrong but you believe you are right because that’s what you have been taught. It also takes a lot to go against family views even when you do realise certain things about views your family has and what you now have.

also looking back on what I just said I do think I’m paying for it as I still feel regret for it over 20 years later but I’m glad for myself that there were no phones back then because would it be fair to lose my career over a view I had when I was 16 and no longer had?
Cancel her for having those views now but I don’t think it’s right to cancel for something so long ago. People are too precious over their feelings. Would I feel that inclined and angry over something someone (who I don’t even know personally) said a long time ago.

I liked rod Stewart until I found out he supported Enoch Powell. I’m not calling for him to be cancelled. I don’t know him. I just Sneer at him when he’s on the telly lol

Reactions: 6
also to add. Some behaviour is learned behaviour until you are mature enough to see things differently.Whilst yes you could say you know right from wrong but you believe you are right because that’s what you have been taught. It also takes a lot to go against family views even when you do realise certain things about views your family has and what you now have.

also looking back on what I just said I do think I’m paying for it as I still feel regret for it over 20 years later but I’m glad for myself that there were no phones back then because would it be fair to lose my career over a view I had when I was 16 and no longer had?
Cancel her for having those views now but I don’t think it’s right to cancel for something so long ago. People are too precious over their feelings. Would I feel that inclined and angry over something someone (who I don’t even know personally) said a long time ago.

I liked rod Stewart until I found out he supported Enoch Powell. I’m not calling for him to be cancelled. I don’t know him. I just Sneer at him when he’s on the telly lol
If it was the 70's it might have been different but we're talking 10 yrs ago , those things were as emotive then as they are now .

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.